Start by marking “Wringer” as Want to Read:
Wringer

Wringer

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  12,017 Ratings  ·  887 Reviews
Newbery Honor Book * ALA Notable Children's Book

"Deeply felt. Presents a moral question with great care and sensitivity." —The New York Times

"A spellbinding story about rites of passage." —Publishers Weekly (starred review)

"A realistic story with the intensity of a fable." —The Horn Book (starred review)

"Thought-provoking." —School Library Journal (starred review)

In Palme
Published August 16th 1997 by HarperCollins (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Wringer, please sign up.

Lars Guthrie
May 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe my third time for this one, and I've upped my opinion a bit. I had previously found Spinelli's premise a little unrealistic, giving him the opportunity to make some possibly overbearing moral points.

Palmer LaRue dreads his upcoming tenth birthday. He wants to fit in with a small gang of rude boys who bully the girl who is his neighbor and erstwhile friend. On his next birthday he will become a 'wringer,' one of the boys who snaps the necks of wounded birds at Waymer, Pennsylvania's annual
Ja
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was unique and captivating. It's definitely intended for younger kids, but it's still good all the same. Similar to another of Jerry Spinelli's books, Stargirl, it tells young readers that they don't have to give in to peer pressure. If they don't feel something is right, they need to voice their opinion. This is an important idea to instill at a young age in preparation for teenage-hood, kids need to know that they don't have to follow the crowd, even if it seems as if they're the onl ...more
Amber Gordon
Linda Lipko
This 1998 Newbery honor book is powerful, poignant and hauntingly beautiful. This is a remarkable story of peer and social pressure, the courage to sort through the quagmire of self doubt until the mud clears and what remains is a crystal clear reflection of self acceptance.

Sensitive, animal loving nine year old Palmer LaRue passionately dreads the arrival of his tenth birthday. The rite of passage in his small town is to become a wringer -- a wringer of the necks of pigeons still alive after be
Kaion
Aug 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
One thing that Jerry Spinelli really seems to capture well about children—their experience of a larger-than-life world. The ecstasy of a snow day. The stinging annoyance of a neighbor being called a 'friend. The blunt hungry yearning for acceptance.

In Maniac Magee, this hyper-reality took the form of the mythic. In Wringer it's visceral, our protagonist's dread of turning ten:
'In his dreams he looks down to find his hands around the neck of the pigeon. It feels silky. The pigeon's eye is like a
Ola
Nov 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
قصة مدينة لايرحم القاطنين فيها أسراب الحمام الوديعة بل يمارسون شتى أنواع القتل بتفنن وهنالك مواسم تقام تتجمع فيها الأهالي لرؤية هذة البشاعة على مسمع ومرى الصغار الإ هنالك دائما يوجد استثناء وكان هذا الصبي هو الاستثناء فقد جاءت زائرة خفية إلى بيته طلبا للغذاء والنوم فقرر أن يعتني بها ولكن هل يتمكن من حماية الحمامة والوقوف أمام وجه المدينة ؟!
يبدو إن طفلي سيكون محظوظ بإقتنائه مجموعة جميلة من أدب الناشئين المعاصرين الذين أصبحت في الفترة الأخيرة شديدة الحرص على متابعة أعمالهم التي تسهم في ترسيخ مبادى
Joy
1998 Newbery Honor Book

I wasn't really sure what this book would be about by the cover. It looked a bit like a horror novel. The inside jacket cover description was even more vague. It sounded more and more like it would be scary. Fortunately, it wasn't.

The main character is Palmer. He turns 9 at the beginning of the book and has been accepted into a gang of boys named Beans, Mutto and Henry. They nickname him Snots. His mother doesn't approve of them. Honestly, they're punks.

In the city that Pa
Jaden
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classmate told me I should read this book and I'm so glad she did! By the looks of it, it isn't a book I would ever pick up, even after reading the back I didn't like it. I started reading it and I loved it. I'm sad that I finished it so quick, I never wanted it to end. Wringer is now one of my favorite books, I want to go back and reread it already!
Devon Skube
Nov 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it was bad so I abandoned it.
Peacegal
Nov 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humane-education
Despite the fact that it rarely shows up on humane-education lists, if I could suggest only one book promoting humane values, it would be Wringer.

Obviously inspired by the infamous Hegins Pigeon Shoot, Spinelli weaves the story of a young boy who faces an incredible dilemma: will he follow the path of his peers and become a “wringer” of the necks of injured birds at his town’s annual pigeon shoot, or will he stay true to his values and the wayward pigeon he’s adopted as a pet?

The book is told
  • Journey Outside
  • Sugaring Time
  • Frontier Living: An Illustrated Guide to Pioneer Life in America
  • Like Jake and Me
  • Joey Pigza Loses Control (Joey Pigza, #2)
  • Crazy Lady!
  • Bright Island
  • Graven Images
  • The Voice That Challenged a Nation: Marian Anderson and the Struggle for Equal Rights
  • The Dark-Thirty: Southern Tales of the Supernatural
  • Getting Near to Baby
  • Belling the Tiger
  • What Hearts
  • The Planet of Junior Brown
  • The Hundred Penny Box
When Jerry Spinelli was a kid, he wanted to grow up to be either a cowboy or a baseball player. Lucky for us he became a writer instead.

He grew up in rural Pennsylvania and went to college at Gettysburg College and Johns Hopkins University. He has published more than 25 books and has six children and 16 grandchildren.
Jerry Spinelli began writing when he was 16 — not much older than the hero of his
More about Jerry Spinelli...