Start by marking “Ramona the Brave” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Brave

Ramona the Brave (Ramona Quimby #3)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  49,735 Ratings  ·  632 Reviews
The summer before first grade sure isn't an easy one for Ramona. There are a lot of changes going on at the Quimby house and Ramona's not sure she likes them one bit. She has a new bedroom that terrifies her, and she's positive that something is hiding under her bed. And to make matters worse, her mother gets a job to help pay for the new bedroom. Ramona sure misses her an ...more
Published March 1st 1975 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Brave, please sign up.
Ausha Mathews yes i read it in 1st grad and im in 5th and i still read it

Julie
I've had a copy of Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Brave somewhere in my house, regardless of where I've lived or how old my kids are, for 4 decades now, but I never had the audiobook, narrated by Stockard Channing.

I don't really “do” audiobooks (exceptions made by books narrated by Colin Firth or Ralph Fiennes), but I thought I'd shake up this classic and expose my girls to a different narrator.

I was saving it for a rainy day, but instead of rain, we had stormy weather in our car last week, a day w
ABC
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away
Kellyn Roth
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah, the woes of a six-year-old! :)
Skylar Burris
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci ...more
J.M. Hushour
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby, 1st grader supremo, doesn't need to worry about lockdowns, ISIS, or overly indulgent parents! Her greatest worry is the dog eating her shoe the next street over when she walks to school. Alone. You read that right.
I love these darn books. They're an invocation of a time when being a kid meant being afraid of oozing boneless gorillas instead of the brown people moving into your gated community and when it was okay to hate your sibling and everyone would have a good laugh about loca
Claudia
I have never read any of the RAMONA books...I checked the copyright and realized why...1975. Cleary started writing these when my first child was an infant and youngster...I missed them, and never read them to him. So, Ramona is a new treat.

I feel for Ramona...she looks at worksheets and over thinks all the answers. She builds stories from the scenarios, and then she chooses the 'wrong' answer, but she has elaborate reasons why her answer is right.

She values her creativity and feels deeply when
Sarah Nessler
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a quirky young girl Ramona is. She feels that no one understands her and that is why she gets into trouble. Full of imagination and wonder I am sure being in Ramona's world is kind of like Alice and Wonderland, quite a different world. There is nothing she can't do until she talks herself out of it. Now in first grade she regrets moving on because she is not as thrilled with her current teacher. Her kindergarten teacher understood her a lot more and was more sensitive to her needs. And as a ...more
Blake
“Ramona the Brave” by Beverly Cleary is a children’s novel and is the third book in the Ramona series. Ramona Quimby is the youngest in her family, and desperately wants to grow up. One day, Ramona decides to stick up for her older sister, Beatrice Quimby. A bunch of boys were picking on Beatrice and calling her names like “Beezus Jesus.” Ramona thought Beatrice would be happy that she stood up for her, but instead Beatrice was upset and embarrassed. She was more upset at Ramona for standing up ...more
Ciara
May 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
one of my favorite things about this book is the way it kind of shows its age with mrs. quimby's job. she starts working as a receptionist in a doctor's office to help pay for the new addition the quimbys have put on their house (a third bedroom so beezus & ramona don't have to share anymore). the girls are kind of dazzled by the idea of their mother working. beezus even says, "you're going to be a liberated woman." hahaha!

i also wonder if this book is the source of my life-long antipathy to
Angie
Ramona the Brave is when I really started loving the Ramona series. It's also when the series became "modern". Ramona's mom goes back to work full-time and Ramona has a tough time adjusting to first grade. The one thing I love most about Beverly Cleary is that she really knows how to write children in a realistic way. Great read!
Cristi-Lael
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Re-read December 2015: This was adorable, as expected. Cleary really explains well how a child's mind works.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Ramona the Brave (Ramona, #3), Beverly Cleary
عنوان: رامونای شجاع شجاع ؛ نوشته: بورلی کلی یری؛ مترجم: پروین علیپور، نشر: افق
Whitney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary
This one breaks the heart a little. Ramona, no longer a pest, must contend with the challenges of being in 1st grade! She lives with her distracted, tired parents and disinterested older sister. Ramona still has a strong personality, and craves attention, and has very few ways to channel her creativity. Her over-active imagination is more of a hindrance than a gift, in the current environment.

Again, with all these Beverly Cleary books, it's really something to be transported to a domestic world
Taren
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby has just begun a new school year as a 1st grader. There are so many things to be nervous about when starting this new chapter of her life, but Ramona has decided she is going to show these challenges who's boss! From the scary noises she hears in her brand-new, all-her-own room to ferocious dog she encounters on her walk to school in the morning, Ramona conquers them all.

My 9 yr old daughter has fallen in love with the Ramona series, & I am falling back in love with them. My da
Chrissy
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Ramona books as a child, and rereading them now to my son, they still hold a special place in my heart. Cleary does a wonderful job of getting into the mindset of her intended audience, although for me, at least, I didn't pick up on just how talented a writer she was until now. The needs of Ramona and the desire she has for grownups to interact with her in specific ways really resonated with me and reminded me of my own child. Also, we could not believe the audacity of Susan. What a c ...more
Marinda
This is the third time I've read this book, and the first time reading it with my daughter. I'm grateful to Ramona for helping me understand how to teach the concept of being "brave" to my kindergartener. Many of the challenges that Ramona faces in this book are ones that my daughter has encountered over the past few months: schoolwork getting harder, grown-ups misunderstanding you, siblings and friends always having something that is somehow more or better than what you have. And, dogs! Dogs ca ...more
Eileen W
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am attempting to read all Ramona books this summer with my girls, age 9 and 7. I remember liking them as a child, and they are still fun as an adult. This one has Ramona in 1st grade and did not disappoint!
Holly Splawn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Clearly has made me cry again. She’s three for three at making me cry from a Ramona book. Ramona is so relatable. I can deeply empathize with her.
Kelly
I so prefer the older editions with the original illustrations. The newer art just doesn't do much for me.

Season Giles
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls giggled and giggled in the chapter where Ramona says a bad word. Guts!
Alicia
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The emotional complexity of the Ramona stories as she grows up are fantastic.
Ericka Clouther
Ramona is now in first grade and 6 years old. This is a lot like #2, Ramona the Pest, except that Ramona is clearly more mature now. Ramona’s friendship with Howie has developed from book #2. I liked this one but not quite as much as #2.
Laura (Book Scrounger)
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-grade
Trying to get inside a first-grader's head is not easy -- explaining all those thoughts and actions that often manifest as simple "irrationality" to us adults -- but I thought Beverly Cleary did a good job of it here. I enjoy Ramona more as an older character, but this was still a funny and interesting story of her time adjusting to first grade, with its conflicts, fears, and bravery.
Lydia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was better than the second one.
But it was okay.
But i`m actually not sure if it was better than the second or not ya know.............i don`t know.
Melyssa
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for a reading challenge prompt to read a childhood favorite. Beverly Cleary captured the mind of a first grade child so well. The story is fun, and there's even some dramatic tension. Will Ramona get in trouble? Will she concur her fears? Will she win over the teacher? It was a nice stress reliever to revisit this book. I reread the first two last year, and I'm sure I'll work my way through the rest of the series. I still love Ramona!
Michelle
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Ramona Quimby is the best and Beverly Cleary is the best and I love them both with my whole heart. What I love best about Ramona (and this is true throughout the Ramona books): She has so many feelings but because she's young, she doesn't know how to express them all the time in the best manner. And her family is so wonderful about it. Not babying her, but trying to understand her. So real! So endearing! From the chapter 'Ramona Says a Bad Word':

After a moment Mrs. Quimby said quietly, "Go ahead
Irene
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Up until now, we've been reading Ramona books illustrated by Tracy Dockray. I really like her drawings because they do such a great job of conveying the emotions of each character - from elation to concern to anger. Illustrations definitely add to the story, helping Isabelle to put a greater context around the words being read.

Since we're going through the series by borrowing books from the library, we read whatever editions are available. With this book, for the first time, we encountered a dif
2017charlottec
Nov 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona the Brave, by Beverly Cleary is a really good book for those who tries to act brave. This book is mainly about a first grader named Ramona. She likes to think that she's brave and never afraid, but it turns out that sometimes people think she's just plain embarrassing, followed by her older sister Beezus, who gets more

There were a lot of times when she was humiliated, such as when Ramona embarrased her sister in the park and when she told everyone that someone chopped a hole in her hou
Darlene
Jun 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

In the third book of the Ramona Quimby series, Ramona has entered first grade. She realizes that it is much different than kindergarten, and she finds it a little bit frightening and misses her kindergarten teacher, Miss Binney.

Although initially excited at having her very own bedroom, Ramona finds that her room can be a scary place at night. I had to laugh as I remembered doing the exact same thing when I was a child: Standing in the doorway and turning of
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Anastasia at Your Service (Anastasia Krupnik, #3)
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Logan Likes Mary Anne! (The Baby-Sitters Club, #10)
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #3)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • The Celery Stalks at Midnight (Bunnicula, #3)
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • Clementine, Friend of the Week (Clementine, #4)
  • Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At
More about Beverly Cleary

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona, #8)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
“the” 0 likes