Start by marking “Ramona the Brave” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Brave

Ramona the Brave

(Ramona Quimby #3)

The summer before first grade sure isn't an easy one for Ramona. There are a lot of changes going on at the Quimby house and Ramona's not sure she likes them one bit. She has a new bedroom that terrifies her, and she's positive that something is hiding under her bed. And to make matters worse, her mother gets a job to help pay for the new bedroom. Ramona sure misses her an ...more
Published March 1st 1975 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Brave, please sign up.
Ausha Mathews yes i read it in 1st grad and im in 5th and i still read it

Start your review of Ramona the Brave
Julie
I've had a copy of Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Brave somewhere in my house, regardless of where I've lived or how old my kids are, for 4 decades now, but I never had the audiobook, narrated by Stockard Channing.

I don't really “do” audiobooks (exceptions made by books narrated by Colin Firth or Ralph Fiennes), but I thought I'd shake up this classic and expose my girls to a different narrator.

I was saving it for a rainy day, but instead of rain, we had stormy weather in our car last week, a day w
Jane
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Ramona series finds Ramona starting first grade.
Before the start of school though Ramona is getting her own bedroom. I loved remembering my own fears, I had as a kid, of the dark.
At school are some wonderful moments with Susan, who still has her curls. Many characters are still present from earlier book's, like calm unexcitable Howie.
On the home front, her mom is working at a doctor's office, and Beezus's loves her teacher, he can do no wrong.
These book's are nostalgic f
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I read this book so long ago, but I still remember Ramona being nervous and scared of spending the night alone by herself. Beverly Cleary made a character that was believable and easy to connect to despite all her flaws, this is a great series.
ABC
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away
Kellyn Roth
Ah, the woes of a six-year-old! :)
Lata
Another amusing entry in Ramona Quimby's life. She's in grade one now, and also has her own bedroom. Both are a source of stress, as Ramona feels like her grade one teacher doesn't understand her, and she's become a little afraid of the dark in her bedroom.
I totally understood Ramona's frustration with her teacher. I also liked how Ramona dealt with losing her new shoe.
These stories make me laugh and remind me of how enormous some problems seemed in grade one.
Skylar Burris
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci ...more
Amie
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Oh how I loved Ramona when I was a little girl! I look forward to revisting her with my own children!
Lydia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was better than the second one.
But it was okay.
But i`m actually not sure if it was better than the second or not ya know.............i don`t know.
Vanessa
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Mama, why doesn’t Picky-Pick [the cat] like me?”
“Because he has grown grouchy in his old age and because you were rough with him when you were little. Now go to sleep.”
.........
Ramona was left alone in the dark. She said her prayers and then repeated them in case God was not listening the first time.

I’ve been recuperating from surgeries this fall, and there are days when I’ve found returning to this series so soothing. Cleary began writing her first series about Henry Huggins to give kids a rel
Wynona Bredthauer
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite parts were when the workers cut a hole in their house to put in Ramonas new room. And when Ramona threw her shoe to a mean dog and made her own shoe.
J.M. Hushour
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby, 1st grader supremo, doesn't need to worry about lockdowns, ISIS, or overly indulgent parents! Her greatest worry is the dog eating her shoe the next street over when she walks to school. Alone. You read that right.
I love these darn books. They're an invocation of a time when being a kid meant being afraid of oozing boneless gorillas instead of the brown people moving into your gated community and when it was okay to hate your sibling and everyone would have a good laugh about loca
Ericka Clouther
Ramona is now in first grade and 6 years old. This is a lot like #2, Ramona the Pest, except that Ramona is clearly more mature now. Ramona’s friendship with Howie has developed from book #2. I liked this one but not quite as much as #2.
Newly Wardell
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's still funny and utterly charming.
Claudia
I have never read any of the RAMONA books...I checked the copyright and realized why...1975. Cleary started writing these when my first child was an infant and youngster...I missed them, and never read them to him. So, Ramona is a new treat.

I feel for Ramona...she looks at worksheets and over thinks all the answers. She builds stories from the scenarios, and then she chooses the 'wrong' answer, but she has elaborate reasons why her answer is right.

She values her creativity and feels deeply when
Sarah Nessler
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a quirky young girl Ramona is. She feels that no one understands her and that is why she gets into trouble. Full of imagination and wonder I am sure being in Ramona's world is kind of like Alice and Wonderland, quite a different world. There is nothing she can't do until she talks herself out of it. Now in first grade she regrets moving on because she is not as thrilled with her current teacher. Her kindergarten teacher understood her a lot more and was more sensitive to her needs. And as a ...more
Lauren Denton
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Guts! Guts, guts, guts!
Valerie Santo
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have been listening to the audio versions of the Ramona series over the last couple of weeks (the Stockard Channing ones) and they are just lots of fun. Def a fun listen to share with your younger kids!
Stefanie Onieal
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An article about Beverly Cleary made me nostalgic and decided to read one each night last week. Love the way these wonderful books have stood the test of time!
Whitney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary
This one breaks the heart a little. Ramona, no longer a pest, must contend with the challenges of being in 1st grade! She lives with her distracted, tired parents and disinterested older sister. Ramona still has a strong personality, and craves attention, and has very few ways to channel her creativity. Her over-active imagination is more of a hindrance than a gift, in the current environment.

Again, with all these Beverly Cleary books, it's really something to be transported to a domestic world
Blake
“Ramona the Brave” by Beverly Cleary is a children’s novel and is the third book in the Ramona series. Ramona Quimby is the youngest in her family, and desperately wants to grow up. One day, Ramona decides to stick up for her older sister, Beatrice Quimby. A bunch of boys were picking on Beatrice and calling her names like “Beezus Jesus.” Ramona thought Beatrice would be happy that she stood up for her, but instead Beatrice was upset and embarrassed. She was more upset at Ramona for standing up ...more
Taren
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby has just begun a new school year as a 1st grader. There are so many things to be nervous about when starting this new chapter of her life, but Ramona has decided she is going to show these challenges who's boss! From the scary noises she hears in her brand-new, all-her-own room to ferocious dog she encounters on her walk to school in the morning, Ramona conquers them all.

My 9 yr old daughter has fallen in love with the Ramona series, & I am falling back in love with them. My daught
Chrissy
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Ramona books as a child, and rereading them now to my son, they still hold a special place in my heart. Cleary does a wonderful job of getting into the mindset of her intended audience, although for me, at least, I didn't pick up on just how talented a writer she was until now. The needs of Ramona and the desire she has for grownups to interact with her in specific ways really resonated with me and reminded me of my own child. Also, we could not believe the audacity of Susan. What a c ...more
Eileen W
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am attempting to read all Ramona books this summer with my girls, age 9 and 7. I remember liking them as a child, and they are still fun as an adult. This one has Ramona in 1st grade and did not disappoint!
Cristi-Lael
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Re-read December 2015: This was adorable, as expected. Cleary really explains well how a child's mind works.
Season Giles
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My girls giggled and giggled in the chapter where Ramona says a bad word. Guts!
Allison Preston
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona has a chance to show the world she's more than just a pest in the third book of her series.

"Ramona the Brave" begins during the summer after Kindergarten, in the weeks leading up to the beginning of first grade. Ramona knows she is no longer a "Kindergarten baby," and is determined to show she is so much more than Beezus's little sister, or even a little kid. In fact, she is determined to show her bravery in any situation, whether it be encountering an imaginary gorilla, the construction
Andrew
You gotta love Beverly Cleary!
She is one of the strongest and most inspirational juvenile fiction authors out there.
I knew I had to pick up another one of her books for the reading challenge this year, just because she perfectly knows how to convey the world through the eyes of a child

You gotta love Ramona! The nice part about the entire Ramona series is you can read the books out of sequence and its okay.
Ramona is also a great jumping off point for both kids at her age level and parents with
Arminda Lindsay
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, fiction, 2019
Timeless.

Ramona is just as spunky and real a girl as when I was a little girl reading her for the first time.

My eight year old niece and I are book buddies and I pre-read this one to evaluate it for our two-person book club.

I loved it and believe my niece will, too.

It’s easy to read, but is very character-driven so it’s fun to keep up with Ramona Q!

I also think my eight-year-old niece will like being slightly older than Ramona, thus giving her the advantage of understanding what Ramona is g
Marinda
This is the third time I've read this book, and the first time reading it with my daughter. I'm grateful to Ramona for helping me understand how to teach the concept of being "brave" to my kindergartener. Many of the challenges that Ramona faces in this book are ones that my daughter has encountered over the past few months: schoolwork getting harder, grown-ups misunderstanding you, siblings and friends always having something that is somehow more or better than what you have. And, dogs! Dogs ca ...more

• Henry & Ramona
  • Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • Freckle Juice
  • Encyclopedia Brown, Boy Detective (Encyclopedia Brown, #1)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Kirsten Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Kirsten, #5)
  • The Littles
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
  • Charlotte's Web
  • Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • The Secret Garden
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)