Start by marking “Ramona the Brave” as Want to Read:
Ramona the Brave

Ramona the Brave

(Ramona Quimby #3)

In this touching and funny story, the ebullient Ramona, feeling brave and grown-up, enters first grade. Quickly she finds that her new teacher, Mrs. Griggs, appears perplexed by pupils who like to be different. Since Ramona cannot help being different, clearly the two are incompatible.Nevertheless, Ramona can be counted on to keep things lively. Enraged when Susan copies h ...more
Published March 1st 1975 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Ramona the Brave, please sign up.

Start your review of Ramona the Brave
Julie
I've had a copy of Beverly Cleary's Ramona the Brave somewhere in my house, regardless of where I've lived or how old my kids are, for 4 decades now, but I never had the audiobook, narrated by Stockard Channing.

I don't really “do” audiobooks (exceptions made by books narrated by Colin Firth or Ralph Fiennes), but I thought I'd shake up this classic and expose my girls to a different narrator.

I was saving it for a rainy day, but instead of rain, we had stormy weather in our car last week, a day w
Erin
Ramona Quimby is an ICON!

In my ongoing book unhaul project I came across another childhood favorite Ramona the Brave. I'm donating this book but I decided to reread first.

I haven't read this book in well over 25 years(I'm old). I expected to find Ramona to be annoying because I find most children to be annoying. But shock of shocks

RAMONA IS A MOTHERFUCKING ICON!

Ramona is a mess in the best way. She is always ready to fight, she loves putting people in their place, and she takes shit from NO
Manybooks
Well to tell the truth, the episodic nature of Beverly Cleary’s third Ramona Quimby novel, with her 1975 Ramona the Brave (and much more so than with the first two series novels, than with both Beezus and Ramona and Ramona the Pest) really do tend to make the connections and transitions from chapter to chapter feel a bit choppy and sometimes even leave the presented episodes rather hanging in midair so to speak (such as for example that I textually find it kind of both frustrating and annoying h ...more
Sophie Crane
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-in-h-f
Twenty five years later, Ramona is still entertaining!
Jane
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book in the Ramona series finds Ramona starting first grade.
Before the start of school though Ramona is getting her own bedroom. I loved remembering my own fears, I had as a kid, of the dark.
At school are some wonderful moments with Susan, who still has her curls. Many characters are still present from earlier book's, like calm unexcitable Howie.
On the home front, her mom is working at a doctor's office, and Beezus's loves her teacher, he can do no wrong.
These book's are nostalgic f
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
I read this book so long ago, but I still remember Ramona being nervous and scared of spending the night alone by herself. Beverly Cleary made a character that was believable and easy to connect to despite all her flaws, this is a great series.
ABC
Mar 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary really knows the way kids think. She nails it on the head.

The million dollar question is: Did Susan really copy or was it just some sort of freaky coincidence? I often wondered this when I was a kid, but now rereading it I think Cleary implies that Susan probably did copy.

As a kid, I thought that Ramona must have grown up in an extremely tame household if she did not know any truly bad words. Still, it was pretty funny.

On another note, I think this book is where Cleary breaks away
Lata
Another amusing entry in Ramona Quimby's life. She's in grade one now, and also has her own bedroom. Both are a source of stress, as Ramona feels like her grade one teacher doesn't understand her, and she's become a little afraid of the dark in her bedroom.
I totally understood Ramona's frustration with her teacher. I also liked how Ramona dealt with losing her new shoe.
These stories make me laugh and remind me of how enormous some problems seemed in grade one.
Skylar Burris
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I recall loving the Ramona books as a child (I think I was about 9 when I read them), but I really appreciated re-reading this one as an adult and as the mother of a child of my own. Beverly Cleary knows how to climb inside the head of a six-year-old girl, a six-year-old girl that in many way resembles my own six-year-old girl. Reading Ramona the Brave reminded me for a moment of what it’s like to be a child, of how dramatic little things seem, of how little adults seem to understand and appreci ...more
Amie
Apr 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Oh how I loved Ramona when I was a little girl! I look forward to revisting her with my own children!
Kellyn Roth
Ah, the woes of a six-year-old! :)
Lydia
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was better than the second one.
But it was okay.
But i`m actually not sure if it was better than the second or not ya know.............i don`t know.
Vanessa
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
”Mama, why doesn’t Picky-Pick [the cat] like me?”
“Because he has grown grouchy in his old age and because you were rough with him when you were little. Now go to sleep.”
.........
Ramona was left alone in the dark. She said her prayers and then repeated them in case God was not listening the first time.

I’ve been recuperating from surgeries this fall, and there are days when I’ve found returning to this series so soothing. Cleary began writing her first series about Henry Huggins to give kids a rel
Wynona
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite parts were when the workers cut a hole in their house to put in Ramonas new room. And when Ramona threw her shoe to a mean dog and made her own shoe.
Linda Martin
I'm very much enjoying my reading of the Ramona series. This is the third book in the series and I find Ramona to be a relatable character. Her childish ideas and opinions resonate with me, even though I'm 68! I've never read this series before... but despite my advanced age I am enjoying the humor about sticky situations Ramona gets herself into.

Each chapter is like a short story about Ramona and her family and school. There were nine chapters in this book and they work together to show Ramona
J.M. Hushour
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby, 1st grader supremo, doesn't need to worry about lockdowns, ISIS, or overly indulgent parents! Her greatest worry is the dog eating her shoe the next street over when she walks to school. Alone. You read that right.
I love these darn books. They're an invocation of a time when being a kid meant being afraid of oozing boneless gorillas instead of the brown people moving into your gated community and when it was okay to hate your sibling and everyone would have a good laugh about loca
Erica Clou
Ramona is now in first grade and 6 years old. This is a lot like #2, Ramona the Pest, except that Ramona is clearly more mature now. Ramona’s friendship with Howie has developed from book #2. I liked this one but not quite as much as #2.
Newly Wardell
May 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's still funny and utterly charming. ...more
Lauren Denton
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Guts! Guts, guts, guts! (Kate)
Claudia
I have never read any of the RAMONA books...I checked the copyright and realized why...1975. Cleary started writing these when my first child was an infant and youngster...I missed them, and never read them to him. So, Ramona is a new treat.

I feel for Ramona...she looks at worksheets and over thinks all the answers. She builds stories from the scenarios, and then she chooses the 'wrong' answer, but she has elaborate reasons why her answer is right.

She values her creativity and feels deeply when
Kris
Dec 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beverly Cleary has a knack for capturing things from a child's point of view. All those little things that seem so minor to adults, but are a huge deal to kids. It helps me to remember. The grown-ups around Ramona are well-intentioned, but they are so concerned with her "behaving' that they tend to stifle the things that make her HER. Ramona is the best, and while this one isn't my favorite in the series, it is still great. ...more
Sarah Nessler
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a quirky young girl Ramona is. She feels that no one understands her and that is why she gets into trouble. Full of imagination and wonder I am sure being in Ramona's world is kind of like Alice and Wonderland, quite a different world. There is nothing she can't do until she talks herself out of it. Now in first grade she regrets moving on because she is not as thrilled with her current teacher. Her kindergarten teacher understood her a lot more and was more sensitive to her needs. And as a ...more
Valerie Santo
Apr 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We have been listening to the audio versions of the Ramona series over the last couple of weeks (the Stockard Channing ones) and they are just lots of fun. Def a fun listen to share with your younger kids!
Stefanie Onieal
Mar 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An article about Beverly Cleary made me nostalgic and decided to read one each night last week. Love the way these wonderful books have stood the test of time!
Whitney
Aug 09, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cleary
This one breaks the heart a little. Ramona, no longer a pest, must contend with the challenges of being in 1st grade! She lives with her distracted, tired parents and disinterested older sister. Ramona still has a strong personality, and craves attention, and has very few ways to channel her creativity. Her over-active imagination is more of a hindrance than a gift, in the current environment.

Again, with all these Beverly Cleary books, it's really something to be transported to a domestic world
Blake
“Ramona the Brave” by Beverly Cleary is a children’s novel and is the third book in the Ramona series. Ramona Quimby is the youngest in her family, and desperately wants to grow up. One day, Ramona decides to stick up for her older sister, Beatrice Quimby. A bunch of boys were picking on Beatrice and calling her names like “Beezus Jesus.” Ramona thought Beatrice would be happy that she stood up for her, but instead Beatrice was upset and embarrassed. She was more upset at Ramona for standing up ...more
Taren
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ramona Quimby has just begun a new school year as a 1st grader. There are so many things to be nervous about when starting this new chapter of her life, but Ramona has decided she is going to show these challenges who's boss! From the scary noises she hears in her brand-new, all-her-own room to ferocious dog she encounters on her walk to school in the morning, Ramona conquers them all.

My 9 yr old daughter has fallen in love with the Ramona series, & I am falling back in love with them. My daught
Dolly
Nov 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are reading the series of books starring Ramona, Beezus, Henry and their friends. We've read the first two in the Ramona Quimby series and are working our way slowly through them all. Although these were written more than thirty years ago, they are still fun and great for children. It's refreshing to see that as time passes, some things still stay the same.

I like the Ramona's sincerity and the fact that she experiences real emotions. She gets angry at times, but she is also joyous, fearful an
Chrissy
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read the Ramona books as a child, and rereading them now to my son, they still hold a special place in my heart. Cleary does a wonderful job of getting into the mindset of her intended audience, although for me, at least, I didn't pick up on just how talented a writer she was until now. The needs of Ramona and the desire she has for grownups to interact with her in specific ways really resonated with me and reminded me of my own child. Also, we could not believe the audacity of Susan. What a c ...more
Carolyn
I've been re-reading the Ramona books lately. There's still a part of me that can relate to Ramona Quimby.

September 2016. Re-read again via an audio book. Story read by Stockard Channing. She did a nice job with the different characters' voices.

• Otherwise Known as Sheila the Great (Fudge, #2)
  • Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing (Fudge, #1)
  • Superfudge (Fudge, #3)
  • Henry & Ramona
  • Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary: Teacher Guide (Novel Units)
  • Fudge-a-Mania (Fudge, #4)
  • Double Fudge (Fudge, #5)
  • Freckle Juice
  • How to Eat Fried Worms
  • Junie B., First Grader: Dumb Bunny (Junie B. Jones, #27)
  • Little House on the Prairie (Little House, #3)
  • The Art of Ramona Quimby: Sixty-Five Years of Illustrations from Beverly Cleary’s Beloved Books
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #1)
  • Harriet the Spy (Harriet the Spy #1)
  • The Wishbone Wish (Judy Moody & Stink #4)
  • The Talented Clementine (Clementine, #2)
  • September Sneakers (Calendar Mysteries, #9)
  • The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, #1)
See top shelves…
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) was the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly A

Ramona Quimby (8 books)
  • Beezus and Ramona (Ramona, #1)
  • Ramona the Pest (Ramona, #2)
  • Ramona and Her Father (Ramona, #4)
  • Ramona and Her Mother (Ramona Quimby, #5)
  • Ramona Quimby, Age 8 (Ramona, #6)
  • Ramona Forever (Ramona, #7)
  • Ramona's World (Ramona Quimby, #8)