Start by marking “Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zombies Don't Cry (Living Dead Love Story, #1)

Zombies Don't Cry

(Living Dead Love Story #1)

Maddy Swift is just a normal girl—a high school junior surviving class with her best friend and hoping the yummy new kid, Stamp, will ask her out. When he finally does, her whole life changes.

Sneaking out to meet Stamp at a party one rainy night, Maddy is struck by lightning. After awakening, she feels lucky to be alive. Over time, however, Maddy realizes that she’s become
Paperback, 1st Edition, 371 pages
Published May 1st 2011 by Medallion Press (first published March 24th 2011)

Ashley - The Bookish Brunette
Epic awesomeness. Epic.

First- I have to mention some of the crazy fabulous chapter titles of this book!

Chapter 6- You Might Be A Zombie If...
Chapter 10- The Proper Care and Feeding of Zombies
Chapter 11- The Zombie Pledge
Chapter 17- Jock Blocked
Chapter 30- A Pimp Called Death

A Pimp Called Death? WIN. I mean really... It just doesn't get any more badass than that okay?

Maddy Swift is the epitome of freaking spectacular. She is delightfully witty and entertaining, she is filled to the brim with
Becky
I picked this book up expecting it to be a funny read, with a little bit of horror and romance tossed in. What I got was a pretty flat book with a sudden and abrupt turn at the end of the novel. And sadly, despite what the subject matter might lead you to expect, there's very little horror in the book at all.

First, the good: the zombie explanation. In this world, zombies are created through electrical currents. If you get electrocuted and die, the electrical current can bring you back as a zombi
Evie
May 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Rusty Fischer is officially my new hero! The story he created is simply phenomenal. Original and so unbelievably fun to read, it's a MUST-HAVE not only for every Zombie fan out there, but for anyone who loves great YA paranormal/horror books with amazing sense of humor.

Maddy is a super likable character. She’s more or less an ordinary teenage girl, who doesn’t wear tons of make-up and prefers khaki pants over flashy dresses. She might not be the most popular girl in school, but she gets by ju
Trisha Wolfe
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so I open my mailbox and see a review book for Zombies Don’t Cry, and I have no idea what to expect. I read the first chapter and think, “is this author for real?”. Then I keep reading. Then I’m soon flying through the pages, laughing, talking to myself and the characters, and thoroughly enjoying myself. Rusty Fischer is an amazingly talented author. His writing style is clean, clear, smart, and fun.

Seventeen-year-old Maddy Swift is an awesome character. I easily related to her. The though
Kori
Aug 27, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: paranormal
Ugh. I'm sorry, but I hated this book. It is likely one of the most ridiculous teen novels I have read to date - and I work at a library, so I do a ton of reading.

The characters depressed me. There was no depth to them and not much development occured throughout the course of the story. I thought the style of writing fell more into 'J Fic' instead of 'YA Supernatural' (meaning it was very juvenile to me and belonged downstairs on the lower floor with all the kids' books). I didn't feel this book
Marrion James (The Book Associate)
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
I've been keeping my eyes on this book for quite sometime now and I finally got myself an ARC for a review. I was surprised receiving this mail, I was hysterical! lol! Anyway, I finished this book last Saturday and today I am posting my review regarding to this awesome book. Let's start shall we?

The Plot. The storyline obviously related to zombies. The first thing will pop into our minds that, it is just another mindless eating humans. Actually, this book is way more beyond that. I usually watch
Bonnie
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Originally posted at: http://www.handsandhome.ca/2011/08/zo...

I don’t know what took me so long to jump on the Zombie bandwagon but have I ever been missing out! Not only have I been missing out on this fantastic sub-genre, but I have been missing out on Rusty Fischer’s hilariously quirky and engaging writing style. I truly did not expect that a book about zombies would make me laugh as hard as it did while at the same time pulling at my emotions.

The thing about Zombies Don’t Cry that really co
Lea
OK, so-- this book was pretty much fa-reaking awesome. Now, I'll be totally honest-- zombies? Not so much my fave paranormal creature. But this book-- the story, the characters, the dialog-- I don't know which one I liked more. Zombies Don't Cry was so much fun to read, and I'm really glad I decided to pick this one up as my first ever zombie-themed book!

Maddy Swift is just your typical high-school girl. She's not popular, but she's not an outcast, she's not gorgeous, but she's not ugly-- just a
Lucinda
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic Young Adult paranormal thriller that sends Goosebumps down your spine, as you are thrust into a world of living dead!!

This outstanding book is the most exciting read that I have encountered this year, which with its own originality and distinctiveness it takes this genre to new heights. I am so impressed by Rusty Fischer, who’s accomplished and wonderfully descriptive writing really captured my imagination, taking it on the most electrifying ride that was both atmospheric and spine-
Lyndsey O'Halloran
Nov 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
I had wanted to read this book for so long, since the author did a guest post on my old blog a long time ago. I love zombie books and this one sounded really different. At the time though, this wasn’t being published in the UK so I’ve had a really long wait for this one.

Zombies Don’t Cry is told from main character Maddy’s point of view, beginning with a short chapter which is set after the events which happen in the rest of the book. Maddie is your average teenage girl trying to get through hi
Candace
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
This ended up a fabulous read. The characters were great, the writing was awesome and the story line was intriguing. I wasn't exactly sure what to expect. I'm not a huge zombie fan, but it's mostly just because of the ideas of zombies. I haven't read many zombie books and I've actually enjoyed all that I have. So far.

I thought this was going to be a sort of ridiculous funny. And it was. But it got pretty serious, far more serious then I ever expected. It all worked together, but it wasn't what I
Jodie
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Rusty has presented us with a real 'stiff' of a story, creating a tale in which you aren't sure if you should laugh uncontrollably or take pity on the main character. You have good humor and seriousness combined. Putting that combination into one book isn't easy. Rusty has came out with remarkable talent and left me wanting to read more of his work!

Maddy is just like you and me. Normal. Yet, in her Home Ec class people seem to be dying. Quite weird. Maddy's best friend Hazel thinks it's cursed.
A Book Vacation
May 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wow! I. Love. This. Book. You need to drop everything and read it right now! Fischer is a very talented writer and I loved his zombie explanations! He’s taken this genre and really made it come alive (no pun intended). Most zombie books are about killing off zombies, but Fischer has created a novel in which the reader obtains an up front view of what it is like to be a zombie, and this was a very refreshing look at such a popular genre!

I feel like in movies, and books, we never really get the t
Lillie
My Review:
ZOMBIES DON'T CRY was the first zombie novel that I have ever read. Yes, I did just say that. Honestly, the thought of zombies kind of creep me out. They're not pretty undead like vampires, and they don't have hot looking abs like shapeshifters. They are not heroes to me. They are the things that you kill. At least, that's what I thought until I read this book. Rusty Fischer made me like zombies, because his have heart and humor, and most of all, they don't eat brains. Well, they do, b
Charlotte
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The cover is totally...well, not right. The cover makes it seem so serious and dark and Twilightly, the book is so NOT. It was hilarious. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't in school while I was reading this, that I would have literally been on the ground rolling around and laughing.

Yeah. That good.
Michelle
Oct 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read them ALL. LOVED THEM!
Alyssa Wallace
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Hands down this was the best zombie book ever. There was never a dull moment, and it even had be laugh a couple of times. I hope to see a sequel!
Vicki (The Wolf's Den)
Amazon ~ Powell's
Zombies Don't Blog

Maddy Swift is just your average high school junior. Good grades, but not too brainy. Preppy, but not obnoxiously so. And definitely not buying this whole "Cursed Home Ec Class" theory her best friend's pushing on her. Sure, three deaths in three months is tragic, but her dad's the coroner and all of them were ruled accidental. End. Of. Story.

Besides, who can worry about curses when there's a new transfer to drool over? Stamp Crosby is currently the most sought
Novels On The Run
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
MICHELLE'S REVIEW:

RATING: 4.5 Delicious Dane Stars!!

I really enjoyed, ‘Zombies Don’t Cry’. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting. Rusty made me laugh , really ‘feel’ for Maddy his female lead as I watched her life change. I definitely forgot a male author was writing 17 yr old Maddy’s POV. Rusty did that very, very well. I loved watching Maddy change from her ‘Normal’ self to the Goth chick .

Michelle  novelsontherun
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
RATING: 4.5 Delicious Dane Stars!!

I really enjoyed, ‘Zombies Don’t Cry’. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting. Rusty made me laugh , really ‘feel’ for Maddy his female lead as I watched her life change. I definitely forgot a male author was writing 17 yr old Maddy’s POV. Rusty did that very, very well. I loved watching Maddy change from her ‘Normal’ self to the goth chick.

From the first chapter to the last chapter , Maddy became quite badass on the outside but still had her ‘human’, emotions on
Leigh Collazo
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
More reviews, book trailers, and thematic lists at http://readerpants.blogspot.com

RECOMMENDED FOR: MS, HS

OVERALL RATING: Highly recommended

WHAT I LIKED: Ooohhh, so much fun! Zombies Don't Cry is definitely one of the more unique books I've read recently; come to think of it, I don't think I've ever read a zombie romantic comedy. As I read, I kept thinking of the 80s comedy Beetlejuice, and I cracked up at the Beetlejuice reference in the last chapter. Like any good campy B-movie, ZDC shows a hea
Alison (AlisonCanRead)
I'll start by saying that zombies will never be my paranormal creature of choice. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with zombies, but while I can imagine kissing a vampire (a tame one), fairy, or wizard, I have no desire to touch lips with a zombie. My distaste for zombie-kind colors my review somewhat, but I really enjoyed Zombies Don't Cry.

I'll break the book down into its essential elements:

1. Maddie: I loved the main character. She's a very normal girl. It's refreshing to see someon
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have, review-books
Maddy Swift is your typical teenager, worried about grades, school, boys, and hanging out with her best friend Hazel. Things all change when students from her Home Ec class start dieing from terrible accidents. This could be coincidental, but all three students are from the same class and each of them die a month apart. Yes that’s one student a month for three months. Are you getting the creepy vibe yet? Maddy just thinks its a coincidence, but Hazel calls it the Home Ec Curse..... dun dun....

Th
Smash
Don't miss out on the Character Interview between Bones & Dahlia on the blog! http://www.smashattackreads.com/2011/...

Firstly, I have to blame Ashley of The Bookish Brunette (her review link is below) for my unbelievably fun time with this book. You see, I would never have chosen to read a book about zombies with a conscience. It’s just so…wrong. I need my zombies to have red eyes, decomposing bodies and brain-lust! But due to her great review and my subsequent chat with the author on Twitte
Tiffany Holme
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook, paperback, own
What a fun and easy read. I was done this one before I knew it and I loved every moment of it! Meaning while on holiday this Ebook travelled to the beach, the pool and lunch. It didn't make it to dinner. Honestly it was that good. I love the zombies, the way thy com to be and even their world. This isn't your typical "brains, need brains" zombie book... Well they do need brains so there are brains but not in the decomposing, dragging limbs behind them kind of way. This is a much more original th ...more
Sara
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ok, so I will admit I don't read a lot of young adult books, nor do I ever read zombie books. I only read this based on the opinion of my equally-book-loving friend. I'm pretty sure this is how out conversation went:

Friend: So I'm reading this great zombie book, its awesome!
Me: Yeah, I don't do zombies.
Friend: I know! Me neither! But its SO good!
Me: K, I'll think about it.

And low and behold, one week later it was a free ebook, so I say what the heck and give it a try. Turns out I LOVE it!!! Its
Sandra "Jeanz"
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
MY REVIEW
I was generously gifted this book by the author Rusty Fischer, so Thank you Rusty!
I much prefer this cover (pictured above) the Goth Girl on the front cover is really relevant and I would say if it isn't a representation of the main character Maddy then it has to be Chloe.
The book tells the story of Madison Emily Swift (Maddy) a normal schoolgirl, with the normal teenage angst and worries. Madison is wondering who she could go to the Fall Formal with and literally bumps into a "fit" guy
Anagha Uppal
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: to-post
Zombies Don’t Cry-2 stars

I got Rusty Fischer’s Zombies Don’t Cry through a teen advance reader’s club at my local library. I was a bit skeptical as soon as I picked up this book. Zombie romance? Just didn’t seem like a worthwhile genre to me. Looking back, I have to say that I was absolutely right.

Maddy, a high school junior, is a normal girl until she meets Stamp, the hot new guy who actually seems to be interested in her. When she sneaks out at night to attend a party he invited her to, she is
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a surprisingly original take on the zombie genre. Told from the perspective of Maddy, a quiet teenager with a popular best friend, a coroner father, a gravestone-rubbing hobby, and a big crush on the handsome new football player, Stamp (really - STAMP?!). Luckily for our Maddy, Stamp likes her right back and asks her to a party. But on the way there she's struck by lightning and when she wakes up a couple of hours later - after her actual death - she's a zombie. I loved reading the auth ...more
Emma
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Told in first person narrative from Maddy’s point of view. Maddy has a rather kooky narrative voice, when faced with the possibility of being a zombie she does what comes naturally and Google’s it The actual quiz ‘You might be a Zombie if….’ made me snort. Prior to Maddy’s tango with lightning she’s a bit of a loner, good at art she’s just navigating her way through high school until she can become her own person. As the daughter of the local coroner she has freak status to go with her fathers o ...more
INSIDE A BOOK: Gli zombi non piangono di Rusty Fischer 1 4 Oct 18, 2012 11:49AM

• From the Ashes
  • Meet the Annas
  • Dead Politician Society (Clare Vengel Undercover, #1)
  • Pets in a Pickle
  • A World I Never Made
  • First, There Is a River (Spirit of the River, #1)
  • Moscow Sting (Anna Resnikov, #2)
  • Summer of Fire (Yellowstone, #1)
  • The Devil's Cradle (Kendall O'Dell #2)
  • Zombie Tales: Primrose Court Apt. 305
  • The Cellar
  • Temptation (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #5)
  • I Used to Know That: Stuff You Forgot from School
  • Dust (Dust, #1)
  • Solstice
  • Zombie Britannica
  • Untouchable
  • Alana Weatherbee (Alana Weatherbee, #1)
Rusty Fischer is the author of several YA supernatural novels, including Zombies Don't Cry, Ushers, Inc., Becca Bloom & the Drumsticks of Doom and Panty Raid @ Zombie High.

Living Dead Love Story (3 books)
  • Zombies Don't Forgive (Living Dead Love Story, #2)
  • Zombies Don't Surrender (Living Dead Love Story, #3)
“You know, surprisingly, they don't sell a lot of brains in the local 24-hour grocery store around the corner from my house.” 23 likes
“I look at her and ask, flat out, "What's up?" Girl talk, of course, for, Back off my man, biotch.” 15 likes