Start by marking “Wapiti Wilderness” as Want to Read:
Wapiti Wilderness

Wapiti Wilderness

For over thirty-seven years, Margaret and Olaus Murie made their home in the mountainous wilderness of the Tetons, where Olaus Murie conducted his famous studies of the American elk, the wapiti. Through these years their home was almost a nature-conservation shrine to thousands of Americans interested in the out-of-doors, in animals, in nature in general. Wapiti Wilderness ...more
Published December 15th 1987 by University Press of Colorado (first published January 1st 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Wapiti Wilderness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wapiti Wilderness

Start your review of Wapiti Wilderness
Clara Ellen
Jan 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rural-memoirs
A family story as well as a book about nature. Lovely read!
Margo
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
My sister and I are going on a Road Scholar trip to Jackson Hole and Yellowstone. This book was recommended by Road Scholar. It was written by both Margaret and Olaus - each write complete chapters. It's not so much about the wapiti as it is about life in Jackson over the years. I am not a hunter so did not enjoy reading some of Olauss chapters that included some gory details. Overall I enjoyed Margaret's chapters that tended to focus more on everyday life. Olaus's illustrations are lovely and t ...more
Haley
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed a gentle, beautiful and slow book. This met all my needs and kept me engaged and stimulated. It’s feels like I’ve visited the Tetons after reading and I wish I could’ve lived then, when nature was still allowed to be new and whole. I recommend this book for the warmth it will lend your heart.
Jim Folger
Aug 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A step back in time to the early years of the 20th century, when Teton NP and Elk National Refuge were created in Wyoming. A most fortunate couple, paid to watch and study elk in a most marvelous place where tourists were few and far between.
Basically a story of their life, how they spent there days, and the encounters they had with animals while raising their children, removed from the burden of urban dwelling.
Certainly a life worth living.
Nicholle
Enjoyable, quick read. I wonder what the Muries would think of Jackson Hole today...
***
2017 Popsugar Challenge - Multiple authors
Reff Girl
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
When you just want to smell the sage and watch the Wapiti in the hills
Paige Kilian
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5. Delightful!
Isaac Newell
Oct 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun to read if you live in the Jackson Hole area. Really neat history and stories. At times the writing is not the best from both writers.
summer61
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lovely series of essays by Margaret and Olaus Murie about their lives in the Jackson Hole valley during the first half of the 20th century. I had just been out there, and had seen his artwork and part of his collection of wildlife specimens, so I particularly enjoyed reading about the early years of this beautiful valley. Some of the chapters are by Margaret, others by Olaus, and together they paint a visual and personal picture of their lives and the culture before the area really boomed.
Olivia Byrnes
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
I guess I must be biased in my review of this book because of my relation to the authors. Marti and Olaus are my great-grand parents. Accounts of my grandfather Martin as a child and adolescent were amusing. The true value of this book lies with its almost meditative writing on nature and also community. The writing has a nostalgic quality. That made me want to go and see Wyoming again and visit the Murie ranch.
Melody
May 11, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked this book but I didn't love it. Written not exactly alternately, but about half the chapters are by Margaret and half by Olaus. It was easy to tell them apart, but I can't say I favored one over the other. The book was surpassingly beautiful in places and surprisingly pedestrian in others. Mostly, the glimpse of the vanished wilderness was extraordinary, and the snippets of an adventurous life were pretty great too.
Megan Brady
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book. This is a wonderful tribute to the Teton Valley, and the full life the Murie’s lived there. I know and love the Tetons, and have had my own adventures in this landscape. My skin is almost itching with how badly I wish I could be gazing out from the shores of Jackson Lake onto Mount Moran after finishing this book.
Sandra
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin to describe the thrill of seeing the wilderness through Margaret and Olaus's eyes before it was over run with people. His pen and ink drawings are superb and the description of the natural habitat and it inhabitants and their adventures trailing them make me feel like I am back there with them.
Rjchaussee
Feb 18, 2010 rated it liked it
this book is a collaboration between Margaret and Olaus Murie.
Margaret writes in detail of their family life in the shadow of the Teton mountain ranges where
Olaus was studying the American elk or wapiti.
The pen and ink drawings of Olaus add a lovely touch to the book.
Kristen
Sep 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is best read while elk are bugling outside your house. =)
Carol
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Long but really enjoyed this book, possibly because we had just visited this area.
Heidi
Sep 23, 2007 rated it it was ok
Discovered the Muries on a recent trip to Jackson Hole.
Allan
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book! Gives a real feel for the spirit and beauty of Jackson Hole and Grand Teton National Park. A must read for anyone even thinking of traveling to the regionj!
Robin O'Sullivan
Dec 13, 2015
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2008
Andy Stern
Mar 02, 2013
Sara
rated it did not like it
Apr 10, 2008

• Epitaph
  • Sweeney on the Rocks
  • Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West
  • Cheatgrass
  • All Creatures Great and Small (All Creatures Great and Small, #1)
Margaret Thomas "Mardy" Murie (August 18, 1902 – October 19, 2003) was a naturalist, author, adventurer, and conservationist. Dubbed the "Grandmother of the Conservation Movement" by both the Sierra Club and the Wilderness Society, she helped in the passage of the Wilderness Act, and was instrumental in creating the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. She was the recipient of the Audubon Medal, the J ...more