Start by marking “The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)

Read Excerpt

The Alchemyst

(The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  138,993 ratings  ·  8,379 reviews
Read the first book in the New York Times bestselling The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series, perfect for fans of The Maze Runner and Percy Jackson and the Olympians.

He holds the secret that can end the world.

The truth: Nicholas Flamel was born in Paris on September 28, 1330. Nearly 700 years later, he is acknowledged as the greatest Alchemyst of his day. It is
Published May 22nd 2007 by Delacorte Press

To ask other readers questions about The Alchemyst, please sign up.
Matt Yes and no. To start with, you have to know that Nicholas Flamel was a real person. Flamel was a book seller in 15th century France and it is legend t…moreYes and no. To start with, you have to know that Nicholas Flamel was a real person. Flamel was a book seller in 15th century France and it is legend that he actually discovered the codex, a legendary book that contained the most coveted secrets of alchemy, one of them being how to create the philosephers stone, which is sometimes called the sorcerers stone and does NOT produce the elixir of life: it actually turns any object it touches into gold. the recipe to the elixir of life was also rumored to be in the codex. I should also mention Perenelle was actually Flamels wife in real life too. But I digress. The Flamels in both the Immortal Secrets of Nicholas Flamel series and Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone (originally the philosopher's stone) are not the same person, which would connect the series. However, both Flamels are based off the same person who actually existed. FUN FACT: Michael Scott, author of the book of which we speak, actually wrote a book analyzing the sorcerers stone. He then expanded on the concept of Nicholas Flamel actually living forever and wrote his own series.(less)
Amy This was a fast paced, exciting book. I read it because it was a required read for my son and we like to talk about the books we read. While targeted …moreThis was a fast paced, exciting book. I read it because it was a required read for my son and we like to talk about the books we read. While targeted to young adults, I found it extremely entertaining and went on to read the rest of the series's, which just kept getting better with each book. My son and I had a lot to talk about! (less)

·  138,993 ratings  ·  8,379 reviews

Start your review of The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1)
Stephen
Jul 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
2.0 stars. I did NOT like this book. The plot was derivative, the writing was passable AT BEST and the two teenage main characters annoyed me to the point of causing actual hair loss.
pulling out hair Pictures, Images and Photos

However, the book avoided the 1 star noose based solely on some crafty ideas and oh so unused potential that I will explore once I briefly explain the plot...which should not take long as we have all seen this tired old movie before.

BRIEF TIRED OLD PLOT SUMMARY:

Sophia and Josh (two VERYannoying kids)
Photobucket
work
dyanne
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Dear Josh,
let me start out with you. You could've been a really great kid but apparently, the author just couldn't make up his mind about you. One minute you're an ordinary kid who likes superheroes and doesn't do well in school and then you become this person who has a super computer and uber-nerdtastic knowledge? Whoa, big difference. I feel sorry for you. I really do. I get jealousy. I get envy. What I don't get is how you and Sophie never fight. Is it just that in those two days that I was e
Bonnie
Mar 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay. I liked this book a lot more than most people who have written reviews. I feel that it's because I didn't go into it with many preconceived notions. I had hoped it would be related to Harry Potter, but when I realized it wasn't I moved on. I also didn't read the book because I was a huge fan of the real Flamel. If you read it for either of those reasons, you will most likely be disapointed.

15 year-old twins Sophie and Josh have gotten summer jobs in San Franciso. Josh works at a bookstore,
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Alchemyst (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel #1), Michael Scott

The Alchemyst is the first installment in the six volume fantasy novel series, The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel. It was written by Irish author Michael Scott and published in May 2007.

Sophie and Josh Newman are 15-year-old twins who are working at their summer jobs in The Coffee Cup in San Francisco (Sophie works at The Coffee Cup, Josh works at the bookstore on the other side of the street) when a mysterious
Kris
Jun 07, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: 2007
This book was awful. So awful, it warrants me actually putting in a review.

First of all, there isn't enough Nicholas Flamel. There is far too much of the twins that kind of become Nic's apprentices, and attatches way too much teenage exposition to them. And we don't need the two of them mentioning that their parents are archaeologists every other page. We got it the first time. Move on. And even if their parents are archaeologists, they're not necessarily going to know as much about it as they s
Tina ➹ the girl who lives in Fandoms
Complete 5 Golden Stars

RTC after next re-read (probably in 2020)

for the start of a new series, this book was absolutely interesting. Exciting, mysterious plot, making questions in our minds along with protagonists, lovable characters, Magic (with a such a unique system, I actually didn't know I needed to read this before seeing it in this series) in our world.
Now I'm thinking, this series, kind of reminded me of "the Librarians" tv show (or that show reminded me of this series, if I want to say
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'll try to be fair here, this is a "YA" book and it comes in telling us it's going to "play" with historical and mythological figures....and play it does. I found the book annoying and wonder at the damage we're doing to our "youths" and their knowledge of mythology, what we can learn from mythology, from the archetypal characters, thoughts, and ideas they contain.

Okay, part of rant over. There are different types of YA books. Some are more yA while others are more Ya. This is in style and exe
Nick Borrelli
Quick review on this one: Oh how this book conflicted me so. On the one hand, I really enjoyed the story and the characters but ultimately the shoe-horning of SO MANY historical events and figures into the story just curbed my enjoyment of it. I get what the author was trying to do. Flamel was a real person who supposedly discovered the secret to immortality but the cramming in of all of the historical figures that he encountered along the way as well as the significant historical events just ki ...more
Luann
Oct 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I enjoyed The Alchemyst more than I thought I would. It didn't sweep me away with the "must finish this book now" feeling, but I also was never bored. Fans of Harry Potter, Fablehaven, Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson books, and even The Da Vinci Code will find interesting connections and similarities here. And yet Scott manages to bring something just a bit new to the table as well. I was interested to learn that many of the main characters (Nicholas Flamel, Perenelle Flamel, and Dr. John Dee) were ...more
Kimberly
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
REMEMBER: This is Fantasy. Welcome.

I experienced a world that was filled with ancient characters (both good and evil), strange creatures, and wonderfully described scenes with TONS of detail.

I met twins, a boy and girl, with pure auras who possess magical powers that once awakened will change the world. A 600-year-old alchemyst who performs magic and when doing so the air around smelled like mint. His wife (possibly the same age) is magical in different ways and befriends ghosts. A 2,000 and a h
Calista
There were several things I appreciated about this story. I loved that Michael Scott used Auras in his magic system. THANK YOU! It was well done and used well. As someone who works with auras and on occasion can see them, it is fun to have them in a story. Michael also uses Lei lines of the Earth. The Raven Cycle uses those too. That's another great idea to put into a magic story. Lei lines are just the Earth's meridians, simple concept.

Another positive about this book is I do like how Michael
Grace
Feb 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
To be honest I would never have read this book had I not been given it for my birthday. It was obviously one of those books that was cranked out immediately after the Harry Potter phenomenon and was unabashedly aimed toward that audience. Now don't get me wrong, I adore Harry Potter and that's probably why this sort of book irritates me. I've picked it up in the bookstore before, interested by the title and catchy cover, but after flipping through it I always put it back.
It is very similar to R
Micheline
I had high hopes when I picked up this book. At the time, I was fresh off the Harry Potter series and had a bad case of 'Post-Potter Depression'. The idea of learning more about the intriguing and mythical 'Nicolas Flamel' (which I had heard of before HP) instantly captivated me, and the book blurb only added fuel to the fire. Sadly, about halfway through I had to shelf this one (DNF). I found the protagonists Sophie and Josh very flat and one-dimensional. They spent most of the time confused or ...more
Stacey
Jul 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
I'm getting better at my new "don't read bad books" plan. Not that this one is "bad," exactly, so much as it is a little bit irritating. The two kids in the story are just too much. They know everything, can do everything, they're just too perfect.

And really Mr. Scott, did you have to attempt to borrow a story from every fantasy written in the last 2000 years and cram it into this one? I mean, really.

But what clinched it for me was a main character named "Scatty." Every time I read that name,
Karli
Sep 15, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dreadful.

I appreciate Goodreads because I can read through other negative reviews and feel justified in my hatred of a book.

There is not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

The book is about Nicholas Flamel the Alchemyst (spelled with a "y" because his author/father wanted him to be yoo-nique!) and a bunch of whiny and conveniently-forever-questioning teenage twins who are on the run from the evil Dr. John Dee (called Dee, which makes him sound like a very silly villain . . . his taglin
Y. C.
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of people haven't heard of this series, and I don't know why, because these books are AWESOME!

We have adventure, we have wit, we have sass, and my absolute favourite... myths and legends coming to life. Topped off with the wonderful absence of teenage drama makes this a delightful read.

If you liked the excitement of Harry Potter, the modern mythological adaptations of Percy Jackson and a new take on some of the world's most mysterious legends then this is the book for you.
Connor
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
[2019 Reread - 2nd time reading] I read this originally when the first book first came out, and I loved it back then. Now, about a decade later, I went back to see if I would have similar feelings.

I still think the weaving of different folklore, histories, and mythologies together is done wonderfully. I've realized that doing this inherently means there is going to be some info dumping so that the author can explain the connections to readers who may not see them all - especially when the autho
Kaethe Douglas
Oct 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Alchemyst - Michael Scott  The author kept referring to the weather in San Francisco as hot and dry, which, sure, it can be, but mostly isn't. That was strike one.Strike two was the idea that if A is true then everything ever must also be true. Again, it could be, but it doesn't have to be.Strike three was putting the teens into Yggdrasil and having them be shocked, SHOCKED I say, that they can't get cell phone or internet service.Also, there's way too much about auras. I hate auras.

7/31/1
George Jankovic
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Alchemyst is a teen/tween book that manages to combine various world mythologies into one. At the center of it is a mysterious Book of Abraham the Mage which has given immortal life to Nicholas Flamel and his wife. But the book can also be used to bring about the return of the Dark Elves and the enslavement of the human kind.

Fifteen year old twins, Sophie and Josh, are the only ones who can save or completely destroy the world as has been foretold.

I like the story of this book and, especiall
Simcsa

The main problems of the series: (I read the first four books)

1. The story takes place in a few days (the first book - 2 days, the second one - 3 days...). If it continues like this, the world will be saved in what? Two weeks? The war lasts milleniums, there are centuries old people and even older creatures, yet two children (ehm.. teenagers) are going to end it in a matter of weeks?

2. As I said, characters here are usually living on the earth for some time, some of them are even ten th
Elle (ellexamines)
Yet another book I loved as a kid and then stopped loving. Maybe I should just forget about reviewing these.

Thousands of different world myths and world historical facts are integrated into one clever world. There's some interesting worldbuilding surrounding auras, which, although slightly overcomplicated, is certainly interested. As the series continues, however, it gets more confusing than enjoyable.

As a fantasy story, this does fall a bit on the cliche side. There's the wise old mentor, who
Sheila Beaumont
I'm revisiting this fascinating fantasy series, which features Nicholas Flamel, John Dee, the Witch of Endor, Bastet, Hecate, and many other characters of history and legend, via audiobook. Excellent narration by Denis O'Hare.
Katie
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
I was first interested in this book for the same reason I'm sure it made the New York Times bestseller list...because it is about Nicholas Flamel, who is mentioned in the Harry Potter books, specifically in the first book about the Sorceror's Stone, as being a friend of Professor Dumbledore. Flamel was a real historical figure though who lived in the 1300's, was a scientist who practiced alchemy, and supposedly discovered the secret to eternal life (related to the sorceror's stone) as well as tu ...more
Jessika
Update 2019

Having read and reviewed this book before, I don't actually have too much to add to my original review. I will say that I'm glad I read this one again because I think I actually enjoyed the story much more this time around. I suppose I could chalk that up to knowing more and understanding more of the mythology now that I'm a bit older.

The Alchemyst is one of those books that I enjoyed more for the actual story than for the writing itself. The story is a lot of fun and a romping good
Mike Meier
Oct 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: "Kool Katz"
Shelves: done
Jackie "the Librarian"
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: kids who like mythology
Shelves: youngadult, fantasy
This is a serviceable fantasy that I plodded through. I liked the settings and descriptions - Scathach's dojo, Hekate's tree, the mix of characters from mythology, all very cool. But the story never grabbed me, I never had trouble putting the book down.
I think it suffers from a lack of focus - since we don't follow just one character, we don't get much character development, and so we don't care very much about what happens to them. And I was disappointed that we didn't get to a natural break in
PurplyCookie
Scott uses a gigantic canvas for this riveting fantasy. The well-worn theme of saving the world from the forces of evil gets a fresh look here as he incorporates ancient myth and legend and sets it firmly, pitch-perfect, in present-day California.

At the emotional center of the tale are contemporary 15-year-old twins, Josh and Sophie, who, it turns out, are potentially powerful magicians. They are spoken of in a prophecy appearing in the ancient Book of Abraham the Mage, all but two pages of whi
Saul the Heir of Isauldur
Originally published in Phantases and Other Funny Words

Note: Below, my review is split into two parts. The first gives my general thoughts on the book, and the second details spoilers and major plot points. Be warned.

Part One: Overview

This book was very interesting, for many reasons. It attempts to do something that many other young adult urban fantasies have tried to do in the past, but presumably with a fresh take. Myths and legends are all real, and they coexist with our modern world of iPods
Mohammed Arabey
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
An excellent mix between myths, history and old gods mythology with YA fast paced story..

reminded me a bit with Percy Jackson.. yet I loved the idea of the whole story run in only 2 days that made it really exciting..
Yet I didn't like much the many pages of action scenes..describing action scenes always makes me fast reading it. also the characters still aren't deep enough.. great concept yet still more developments, I hope it'd get more in the next books..

But all in all, a very brilliant idea a
Sofia
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of derivative middle-grade novels
Shelves: dnf
Well well well... what have we here? Take a look at this incredibly unique and interesting plot:

1. Hello hello, I'm Josh and I like my cell phone. And football. And Superman and Batman, too. I spend 99% of my time looking up things on my 2007 laptop. I am a relatable teenager.
2. Why hi, I'm Sophie. I'm a barista. Rad. I have a lot of sisterly love for Josh. We hold hands sometimes to support each other. We're twins and we never fight because LOVE and PEACE and UNICORNS.
3. Oooh look, this old b

• Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1)
  • Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1)
  • The Red Pyramid (The Kane Chronicles, #1)
  • The Red Pyramid: The Graphic Novel (The Kane Chronicles: The Graphic Novels, #1)
  • The Ruins of Gorlan (Ranger's Apprentice, #1)
  • Artemis Fowl (Artemis Fowl, #1)
  • Inkheart (Inkworld, #1)
  • The Mark of Athena Excerpt
  • The Lost Hero (The Heroes of Olympus, #1)
  • Physik (Septimus Heap, #3)
  • The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)
  • The Throne of Fire (The Kane Chronicles, #2)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2)
  • A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)
  • The Serpent's Shadow (The Kane Chronicles, #3)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
Irish-born Michael Scott began writing over thirty years ago, and is one of Ireland's most successful and prolific authors, with over one hundred titles to his credit, spanning a
variety of genres, including Fantasy, Science Fiction and Folklore.

He writes for both adults and young adults and is published in thirty-seven countries, in over twenty languages.

Praised for his “unparalleled contribution

The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel (6 books)
  • The Magician (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #2)
  • The Sorceress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #3)
  • The Necromancer  (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #4)
  • The Warlock (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #5)
  • The Enchantress (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel, #6)