Start by marking “And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)” as Want to Read:
And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)

And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  8,682 Ratings  ·  500 Reviews
Supremely sensible Emmaline Dove wishes to share her etiquette expertise with London's readers, and as secretary to Viscount Marlowe, Emma knows she's in the perfect position to make her dream come true. Marlowe might be a rake with a preference for can-can dancers and an aversion to matrimony, but he is also the city's leading publisher, and Emma is convinced he's her bes ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 375 pages
Published February 27th 2007 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about And Then He Kissed Her, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about And Then He Kissed Her

Sarah Mac
Content warning: spoilers, swearing, & gifs.

This book sucked. Usually I can find something positive to say about a book...but I'll be damned if that's the case for this one.

Frankly, I'm at a loss.

The hero (Harry) was boring & indistinguishable from other generic woobie-rake romance heroes, but he could've been worse. I didn't hate him, at least -- which is more than can be said for the heroine, Miss Emma Dove.

Here's a sentence I'll probably regret typing, but...

Let's talk about Miss Dov
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, favorites
Emmaline (Emma) Dove works for Harry Marlowe as his secretary. She's worked for him for five years. But what she really wants to be is a published writer. She has written a book on etiquette expertise and has had it rejected by Harry four times. (Harry is a publisher of Marlowe Publishings, owns several newspapers, and has a weekly periodical called "The Bachelor's Guide".) So Emma rewrites her book and gives it to Harry again, and he rejects it again. (It seems that Harry finds the topic of eti ...more
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Esta autora fue un gran descubrimiento. Este es el primer libro que leo de ella y me encantó, no lo pude soltar hasta terminarlo, sólo un día.

La historia es preciosa y aunque algunos componentes de la trama ya están vistos en otras novelas del género, la autora los presenta con un estilo narrativo tan fresco y realista, que es imposible no reírse, emocionarse y empatizar totalmente con todos los momentos de descubrimiento de los personajes, ya que va entrelazando muy hábilmente el desarrollo de
5 stars – Historical Romance

This is an entertaining, delightful, spicy romantic romp about a stifled 30-year-old secretary/writer who finds her ‘etiquette above all else, proper manners are gold, and I always do what I’m told’ code of living challenged by her publishing boss, a dashing, debonair rake who doesn’t give a flying fig about society’s rules or propriety ever since a painful, scandalous divorce to a young American left him jaded about women, relationships, and marriage.

Lord Marlowe da
Océano de libros
Emmaline Dove trabaja como secretaria para Harry, Vizconde de Marlowe, todo parece ir bien hasta que ella descubre que el Vizconde no ha leído sus manuscritos y decide vengarse dejando su puesto y sumiendo en el caos a la empresa. Harry quiere que vuelva y entre ese tira y afloja parece que surgen nuevos sentimientos.
Ésta es la primera novela que leo de la autora y no ha podido ser mejor descubrimiento, me ha encantado al cien por cien, me ha tenido enganchada hasta la última página y su protago
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper, victorian-era
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said? It is full of funny, tender and sexy moments. The banter between Emma and Marlowe is delightful. The storyline is smart and character-driven.

It left me craving peaches and honey. Seriously girls! That scene alone is worth buying the book.

Emma Dove is basically an old school Miss Manners. The Martha Stewart of the Victorian era. We first meet her when she is employed as a secretary in a small publishing house to Lord Marlowe. Her relat
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Maravilloso de principio a fin, con diálogos chispeantes y mucha química entre sus dos protagonistas. El tema de la secretaria y el jefe podría ser un cliché si se tratara de un libro de romance contemporáneo, al transcurrir a finales del siglo XIX, no puedo más que aplaudir a la autora por su elección. Aunque la trama está centrada en la historia de amor de Emma y Harry, es interesante ver cómo empezaba a cambiar el papel y la mentalidad de las mujeres en la sociedad, a pesar de que muchas cosa ...more
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Readers who want a solid story with a sensuous romance
Recommended to Eastofoz by: Kym
First off I have to say that I’m very surprised that this book made my favorites shelf because it didn’t start off all that well, but it made up for the slow start with a bang. The setting up of the story I found boring, there was no spark between Harry and Emma, just a very business relationship, however when all that changed this book took off like a shot to the finish line.

It’s the story of plain spinster Emma Dove who’s an exceptionally competent secretary for Lord Harry Marlowe who owns a p
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
¡No me ha durado nada! Es una novela hermosa, romántica y tan real que me ha mantenido totalmente absorbida hasta terminarla. Los personajes de la autora son tan naturales y sus conflictos tan reales, tan humanos, que es imposible no enamorarse de ellos. Y las escenas románticas se me han hecho adorables ♥ ¡Quiero más!
Oct 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr, 4-stars
Buddy read with the brilliant Lyuda!

3.5 stars rounded up. The heroine is great!

This was a wonderful romance, a wonderful story of two people who have known each other for years, but never really looked at each other. Well, Harry has never looked at Emma, whereas Emma made a conscious decision, very early into her 5-year-employment, not to look at Harry closer than the work relationship would permit.

Emma Dove is the star of the story. Secretary to Harry for five years, 30-year-old spinster, who
Grecia Robles
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: libertinos
*** 4.5 Harry de mi corazón STARS ***

I LOVED IT, es un libro que me enamoró por completo, es tan delicioso, suculento, rico que cuando terminé de leer dije NO POR FAVOR NO TE ACABES!

A parte que es mi primera experiencia con la autora, también con este tipo de protagonistas femeninas que pertenecen a la clase trabajadora, en contemporánea pudiera ser un cliché la relación amor de oficina en los libros pero en histórica es algo bastante novedoso al menos para mí que nunca había leído nada pare
For 270-odd pages, the only thing I could think was

Now, I've reached my breaking point.

I'm not going to finish reading this. And I don't believe I'll be reading any other books in this series I might have purchased in a (not so rare) fit of optimism.
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deliciosa, me ha encantado, es el primer libro que leo de esta autora, no será el último.
Sophie ♥
He stood up, pulling her with him, and slid his arms around her waist. “So, even though I’m dissolute and inconsiderate and I’ll probably be late for the wedding, you are going to marry me?”

Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
For four years Emmaline Dove has worked for Publisher Harrison Marlowe, typing his correspondence, making his coffee, and even buying gifts for his mistresses. But when she asks him to read her latest manuscript and he turns it down, she has had enough. Emma decides to quit her job and become a full time writer, knowing someone wants to read what she has to offer. Harry is stunned when Miss Dove tends her resignation. With his office in chaos, he begs Emma to reconsider. But her writing career i ...more
Juliana Philippa

(Written January 2010)
I read And Then He Kissed Her 2.5 years ago and remember loving it, though it was before I started rating my books and keeping track of my ratings. After finishing it a second time today, I completely understand why I loved it so much and why I remember it so fondly. It was an amazing book and definitely warrants a 5-star rating!! The only thing I wished for was an epilogue.

(Written February 25, 2013)
Haven't read a historical romance in ages - seriously, it's been months an
Lover of Romance
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

As I was browsing through the books I had read on goodreads, I realized that I had never written a review for And Then He Kissed Her. And so I must share my thoughts on a wonderfully written romance that won my heart over years ago, and I believe I have read this book so many times that I might be due for a new copy, since the pages are starting to fall out!! hehe So let me share why this book is a must read for any romance reader.

It begin
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this and read straight through. It's a solid four stars. But there was something keeping it from being a truly spectacular book. As I've reflected back on it during today I think it's fair to say that it's nothing particularly special about it. It's a character focused romance but Harry and Emma never sparkled for me and that's a problem when the focus is on the H/h. I understood more about Emma as the book went on and character felt more fully fleshed out than Harry's (he had rather a ...more
Jul 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
And Then He Kissed Her is about Miss Emma Dove. A lonely secretary for a gentlemen named Lord Marlowe. And I mean 'gentlemen' as in he is a member of the peerage since he doesn't care about manners or being polite. Lord Marlowe is an owner of a publishing house. He keeps a very busy schedule as he lives for his work and his family demands time with him as well. However what free time he does have is usually spent on illicit affairs with can-can dancers or other ladies of ill-repute. It is Emma's ...more
Feb 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Victorian era readers
I liked the fact that she was under appreciated secretary and he realized that he couldn't do without her. I liked how she proved him wrong on how she thought her ideas would be interesting to the readers and she stood up for herself. Got to love a strong heroine character!! Laura Lee Guhrke is one of my favorites!
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: br, top-100-aar
Solo podría haberme gustado más si hubiera tenido epílogo. Es la prueba de que para hacer un buen libro de romántica no hace falta grades pretensiones, solo una bonita historia de amor que te haga suspirar y acalorarte a partes iguales.
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: victorian
Cassandra Dexter Colby
Qué maravilla de novela, por favor. Aún estoy con las enaguas por las orejas. Me han gustado mucho sus protagonistas, sobre todo los diálogos y las escenas tan llenas de momentos añlskdjdñldkgjdslña, que no sexuales. También los hay, pero justos, necesarios y en el momento adecuado. He disfrutado muchísimo leyendo como hacía tiempo que no me pasaba. Y no le doy más estrellas porque no hay. Mi ranciedad está encantada. Todas somos Emma y yo más.
Dec 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
First a disclaimer: The one star is based solely on my personal preferences and not on the obvious trend in romance reading. That having been said...This book has very little to do with what the description on the cover states. It is more a study in how a man worms and wheedles his way into a woman of strong moral character and virtue's bed. It takes two thirds of the book to do this, with him, in the final third, enjoying an illicit affair with her even though she feels horribly guilty and used ...more
Leído en Septiembre

Interesante y entretenida trama... un poco atípico en este tipo de libros de romance historicos.
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, 5-estrellas
Siendo una historia aparentemente sencilla en planteamiento y trama, con prácticamente dos únicos personajes, la autora consigue hilar una historia mucho más completa de lo que podríamos pensar. Es dinámica, entretenida y en momentos muy sensual, es inteligente, realista en parte, muy romántica y ha sido la lectura que necesitaba en estos días. Se la recomiendo encarecidamente a todo lector de romántica y a quien quiera descubrir una buena historia.

May 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the movie Two Weeks Notice
You know how some romances start off strong and then wind down and peter out? This is the opposite. It starts out a bit slow and then gets more and more intense until the end.

Emma is a thirty year old secretary near the end of the 20th century. She is an aspiring writer, never married, and has always made sure she does what is expected of her. She works hard and has earned a small flat for herself.

Harry is a viscount, and Emma's boss. He sees that the aristocracy is dying and even though it's "
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hr
I haven’t read an HR since, I don’t know, I was 15 reading The Thorn Birds. I was afraid it would be too cheesy or too boring, or too cheesy AND too boring. It was neither.
It was sweet and loving and funny at times. We’re not talking about a bigger than life story, full of intrigues and betrayals. But rather a small one, about a growing relationship between a man and a woman.
The characters were lovable. The sex scenes, less. Not the book strongest point. But the journey, both of the characters
Romance Novel Boo...: This topic has been closed to new comments. SOLVED Lady writer + news paper + chicken breasts are not ladylike 6 38 Dec 17, 2013 01:34PM
what's with the cover? 5 96 Dec 13, 2013 09:56AM
  • The Proposition
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Duke of Shadows
  • As You Desire (Braxton, #1)
  • Tempting Fate (Providence, #2)
  • Compromised
  • Romancing the Countess (Romancing, #1)
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • The Perfect Rake (The Merridew Sisters, #1)
  • At the Bride Hunt Ball (Devine & Friends, #1)
  • Suddenly You
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Seven Secrets of Seduction (Secrets, #1)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • The Amorous Education of Celia Seaton (The Burgundy Club, #3)
  • Scandal
  • Not Quite a Husband
From the publication of her very first historical romance, Laura Lee Guhrke has received numerous honors and critical acclaim for her novels and her writing style. She has been honored with the most prestigious award of romance fiction, the Romance Writers of America Rita Award, and she has received additional awards from Romantic Times and All About Romance. Romantic Times has proclaimed her, “On ...more
More about Laura Lee Guhrke...

Girl Bachelors (4 books)
  • The Wicked Ways of a Duke (Girl Bachelors, #2)
  • Secret Desires of a Gentleman (Girl Bachelors, #3)
  • With Seduction in Mind (Girl Bachelors, #4)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“I enjoyed reading when I was a boy, but these days, I read all the time and it has rather taken the pleasure out of it for me. When I am at leisure, reading is the last thing I want to do.”

“That makes sense, I suppose. But for me, reading is an adventure. It makes me an armchair traveler and takes me places I shall never be able to go.”
“Harry - “No plovers no pigeons no snipe. No oysters mussels clams or whole lobsters. No artichokes no savories no cheese.” He paused for breath then went on “Nothing too rich nothing too highly seasoned. And never more than one glass of wine. Did I miss any no-noes ”

Emma - She sighed. “When it comes to my work I do wish you would be serious.”

Harry - “I am serious ” he assured her. “After reading this I understand why women have such tiny waists and go about fainting all the time. I thought it was corsets but no. You’re all hungry .”