Start by marking “The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)

The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes #2)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  2,001 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Sir Maurice Newbury, Gentleman Investigator for the Crown, imagines life will be a little quieter after his dual success in solving The Affinity Bridge affair. But he hasn't banked on the reemergence of his villainous predecessor, Knox, who is hellbent on achieving immortality, and seems to be pursued by a secret agent who isn't quite as he seems....

The whole affair is so
Published June 7th 2011 by Tor Books (first published September 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Osiris Ritual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Osiris Ritual

Dan Schwent
Aug 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Soon after Sir Maurice Newbury attends a mummy unwrapping, people connected to the expedition that recovered it turn up dead. Meanwhile, Veronica Hobbes is investigating the disappearances of young girls that seem to be connected to a traveling magician. How do their investiations intersect? What does it have to do with the mysterious agent who was supposed to meet Newbury at the train station? And who is behind the Osiris Ritual?

The Osiris Ritual is the second Newbury & Hobbes Investigation
Megan Baxter
Jun 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series is growing on me. The first book I thought was merely serviceable, with a bit of a revelation at the end that made one of the characters much more interesting. Either the author has gotten better at plotting, or the tension has been amped up, or I was just in a better mood to enjoy Victoriana. I think perhaps all three, and the end result was that this was quite enjoyable. Not revelatory, but fun.

Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy
Jamieson Ridenhour
I really want to like these books. The characters have the potential for compelling relationships, and the story has potential as well. And--steampunk detective novels with zombies and Egyptian rituals? Sounds like a win. I have now slogged through two Newbury and Hobbes investigations, and I doubt I'll do a third. Mann's writing is the impediment: poor pacing, absurdly extended predictable action sequences, and a bad tendency to restate obvious plot point sseveral times in as many chapters (whi ...more
Alias Pending
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent steampunk tea time action. A short summary: I think TOR works better as an introduction to Mann's universe than Affinity Bridge. TOR seemed less weighed down with ornamental brass than AB, and was far more quickly paced and action packed for it.
My only quibble would be a certain damsel in distress scenario that seemed a lost opportunity and a lack of Amelia, but I won't say more for now is not the time for spoilers.
I also have a theory as to how Newbury is the Fox Mulder of his time,
Jeffrey
The flawed agent of this highly imagined Victorian England returns in this second Newbury and Hobbes Investigations. In the prior novel in this Steampunk trilogy, we have learned of many marvels that infuse this society, from seers, like Hobbes sister, to the mysterious Dr. Fabian, who keeps the Queen alive with pumps and wires, to robotic automons. Mann has a rich imagination and his highly stylized writing buoys this novel, which in the end is more about a mystery involving life after death, t ...more
John Carter McKnight
Significantly worse than the first book in this series, which was pleasantly readable. Horrid, cliche'd prose, character un-development (they became more cardboard than in the introductory volume), and a generally hashed-up mystery plot. It was an effort to finish this, and I'll go out of my way to avoid further works by this author.
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Newbury and Hobbes are not working in tandem. Sir Maurice is off on assignment for the Queen looking into the "return" of another agent, William Ashford, who may have gone rogue and who may be involved in a high profile killing of the Egyptologist Lord Winthrop, whose discovery and then death are front page news as written by Newbury's new protege, George Purefoy. Veronica meanwhile is concerned about a spate of disappearances of young women, all who visited a magician, The Mysterious Alfonso, a ...more
Linda (Rejected Books)
Ah.
That's the first thing that came out of my mouth after finishing this book.
Ah.
Sort of like the sigh you give after you drink water when you're really thirsty.
This book was that for me: an amazing Victorian mystery that didn't let me down. The idea of a mystery, steampunk, mythology, and paranormal book seemed like too much for me, but George Mann managed to make it both logical and enjoyable.
The Osiris Ritual is the second book in the Newbury & Hobbes series. Somehow I ended reading this
David
May 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Following hot on the heels of George Mann's entertaining steampunk debut 'The Affinity Bridge' comes 'The Osiris Ritual,' the second in the Newbury & Hobbes investigations.
Once again, we find the duo investigating the nefarious to the downright bizarre against the backdrop of a London filled with all manner of peculiar devices and insidious villains. This time, they have to spread their attentions on three different fronts: Firstly, a series of ritualistic murders are taking place and on the
Milou
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a steampunk mystery novel about immortality, featuring investigators Newbury and Hobbes, agents of the Crown. And I loved it. Was it perfect? Definitely not. But I didn’t care.

This second book is better than the first one. It is not weighted down by the standard steampunk clichés, but is its own thing. Its making the promise of the rest of the series to be unique and lots of fun.

We learn a bit more about the two main characters, the charming Mr Newbury and the feisty and intelligent Miss
Dan
Jan 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This second dive into the steampunk world of Newbury and Hobbes begins with the unwrapping of a newly discovered Egyptian mummy. Newbury is shocked to see it's face is screaming but has little time to dwell on it as he is sent to apprehend a rogue agent. Meanwhile Veronica Hobbes is investigating a series of missing women with a connection to a travelling illusionist.

In many ways this is a more down to Earth story than the first one. Though it is set in the same steampunk world with hints of th
Brendan
Sir Maurice Newbury and Valerie Hobbes are back in another rollicking steampunk adventure in George Mann's The Osiris Ritual. Like the previous book, The Affinity Bridge, there's plenty of great action and adventure and nobility and constrained behavior and running around London. The characters of the two protagonists develop a bit more thoroughly in this one, though they end up spending much of the novel investigating two separate cases and worrying about the other. A few more thoughts:

Mann re
Beka
Jun 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Reading The Osiris Ritual demonstrated to me that I liked Mann's first book, The Affinity Bridge, more for the novelty of a steampunk detective team than for the writing itself. He clearly has a lot of talent, and loves his characters, but it doesn't seem like he spends enough time getting to know them - they all come across as rather flat. It doesn't take more than a couple of pages to tell me that a) Newbury is very smart, b) Newbury is addicted to opium, c) Newbury is attracted to Hobbes, and ...more
Debs
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a fantastic and entertaing read!
This is a wonderful and original story set in late Victorian London complete with atmospheric fog. Brimming with peculiar Victorian inventions and contraptions, strange and sinister characters and good old fashioned gentlemen.
Sir Maurice Newbury and his assistant Miss Veronica Hobbes are Agents For The Queen (I guess a bit like MI5, although their cases are more suited to the X-Files!), operating from the inocuous facade of researchers at the British Museum.
Karen Syed
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, steampunk
I simply love these books. While I don't so much enjoy the whole undead themes, this second book in the series stepped away from that (prominent in Book 1) and gave us a wonderful tale of intrigue and adventure.

Newbury is in top form in this tale that focuses on an ancient ritual that seems to be alive and kicking in his backyard. Heap on top of this new mystery the fact that the past has reared its ugly head (literally) and it may cost Newbury his life.

George Man is quite a storyteller and I ad
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Sir Maurice Newbury and Miss Veronica Hobbes are in the middle of another crisis again.

Again the pace is slower at first, then picks up later on. Nothing is what it seems and these two have to be very careful. They have to deal with ritualistic murders which seem to be connected to an Egyptian mummy, the disappearances of young women and the hunt for a rogue agent. They can't catch a break.
Michael
Oct 26, 2014 rated it liked it
I was a bit disappointed by this book. It didn't seem to have the same flair as The Affinity Bridge did. The plot seemed a bit muddled and dragged a bit. Veronica's transformation from ardent 19th Century feminist to damsel in distress was a bit disappointing. There are still some interesting twists and turns in this story and , while I still love George Mann's stories. this chapter in the Newbury-Hobbes saga didn't hold up to its predecessor.
edifanob
Jan 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books, 2009-reads
We ( my inner book critic and I) highly recommend this book - and of course the whole series - to all of you who have a foible for mystery, characters with secrets and avidities, a story with more than one thread, airships, submersives, automatons, steam-driven cabs all placed in a great city. Buy it, read it , love it.

Read my full review at Only The Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy
David Schwan
Like the first book in the series "The Affinity Bridge" this book was a fun read. There is a series of young women who disappear and Newbury and Hobbes are investigating. There are two plot lines that wind their way through the book, bringing us to a thrilling conclusion. The ending is a bit puzzling, my suspicion is that we are being set up for the third book.
Nicole
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
2.75 stars. Like the first in the series, I felt this book had a lot of pacing issues. Add to that Newbury turning into the male equivalent of a Mary Sue, and Miss Hobbes being reduced to a damsel in distress, I thought it was just OK.
Alisha Tarran
I loved the first book in this series to another level, then Titan sent me this book, the second one....I was excited. I read the blurb...and I was even more excited because not only another Newbury and Hobbe investigation.....one that involved a freaking mummy and I was like HELL YES! This series, just from these two books, gets better and better. The first book was awesome, and this book is just as good, if not better.

The Osiris Ritual takes everything you love from the first book, and brings
Amanda
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now that I know the characters a little bit, I enjoyed this book slightly more than the first. Again, there were two separate mysteries that seemed to be unrelated, but turned out to be two parts of the same case. I thought Newbury and Knox had a nice Holmes/Moriarty vibe going, so I was a little bit surprised at the ending. I am also anxious to see what happens with Amelia and how she will continue to play a part in the cases of Maurice and Veronica. The tension between the two main characters ...more
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Probably a 3.5...I enjoyed this book, and it was exactly the sort of fun adventure story I was craving, but at times the prose felt a bit repetitive and just a bit over the top. In any case, I once again enjoyed the characters, and I have the next book sitting here ready to read and am looking forward to it!
Chris Wing
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk
Newbury & Hobbes has swiftly become a bit of a treat for me and I've left it too long between reading the last one and this one.
Sadly, I've been a bit ill recently, and not felt like reading, so this hs taken longer to read than I wouldhave liked. However,Finish it I have and found it to be as enjoyable a read as the first.

Indeed, with the first book, I was new to the genre and getting into the concept as well as Mann's writing style and sense of pacing.
This time, I've hit the deck running,
Meredith
It was fun. Not as good as I remember the first one in the series being.
Desiree
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up at the Dollar Tree, because the cover looked interesting... and now I want to read all of them!
Paul
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
not bad - thin plot mind
Cathy
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
A random purchase at a 2nd hand book sale - my eye was caught by the title, then the beautiful cover, and having read it, this book was just what I expected: an easy to read and enjoyable steampunk mystery. The historian in me would have liked much more detail, but there was enough for a picture to be painted, and I liked the relationship between the 2 main characters. I felt it waned a little in the middle, tho that could just have been me, and I'm not a huge fan of fight scenes in books, but t ...more
LitAddictedBrit
First published at Lit Addicted Brit

When I posted my thoughts on the first in Mann's Newbury and Hobbes series, The Affinity Bridge, I gave it three stars and said of the second instalment, "I might pick it up one day if I see a copy in a charity shop or something but I'm not exactly clawing at Waterstones' door to get it". That still pretty much sums up how I feel about this series. It's reasonable. The books haven't had me clutching at them, desperate to know what's going to happen next, but t
Ryan Abe.
You know whats frustrating about this book? The Main Story. You know what's pretty good about this book? The main characters relationship, Newbury's magic dragon addiction and Ashford. Everything else is just kinda...well...meh. So much so, that i found myself skimming some pages to get to the point of the set up; so i could in turn get back to a fresh Hobbes and Newbury scene. I could tell you this book was a good mystery detective pulp novel but i'd be lying. The overarching plot was so predic ...more
  • The Curious Case of the Clockwork Man (Burton & Swinburne, #2)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Pinion (Clockwork Earth #3)
  • The Rise of the Iron Moon (Jackelian, #3)
  • The Impossible Cube (Clockwork Empire, #2)
  • The Martian Ambassador (Blackwood and Harrington, #1)
  • Ganymede (The Clockwork Century, #3)
  • Steampunk II: Steampunk Reloaded (Steampunk, #2)
  • Full Steam Ahead
  • The Constantine Affliction
  • The Janus Affair (Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, #2)
  • Heart of Veridon (The Burn Cycle, #1)
George Mann is an author and editor, primarily in genre fiction. He was born in Darlington, County Durham in 1978.
A former editor of Outland, Mann is the author of The Human Abstract, and more recently The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual in his Newbury and Hobbes detective series, set in an alternate Britain, and Ghosts of Manhattan, set in the same universe some decades later.
He wrote the T
More about George Mann...

Newbury and Hobbes (5 books)
  • The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • The Executioner's Heart (Newbury and Hobbes, #4)
  • The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)