Start by marking “HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership” as Want to Read:
HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership

HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership

(HBR's 10 Must Reads)

Go from being a good manager to an extraordinary leader.

If you read nothing else on leadership, read these 10 articles (featuring “What Makes an Effective Executive,” by Peter F. Drucker). We've combed through hundreds of Harvard Business Review articles on leadership and selected the most important ones to help you maximize your own and your organization's performance.

HBR
Published January 3rd 2011 by Harvard Business Review Press (first published December 14th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HBR's 10 Must Reads on Leadership

Mark Muckerman
Jan 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Read it, but read it with caution, thoughtfulness, emotionally balanced introspection, and with no expectation of "an answer".

The Harvard Business Review deserves its outstanding reputation. With that comes the risk of every word being looked to as gospel (because "it's the HBR"), or read with an overly critical eye and an unconscious need to "find flaw with those pretentious bastards at HBR".

However, this collection of articles is well written (as expected), but also well compiled to provide a
Peter
Jul 15, 2016 rated it liked it
As a person not really interested in business school, I mostly read this to remind myself of how feudalism is alive and accepted in modern life. Believe it or not feudalism has evolved since it became a passe form of popular government, in the form of corporate governments. This book is a terrific introduction to a world that most of us ignore, or complain about in an under-educated way. I think its important to read the same articles that the heads of these institution are reading, in the same ...more
Kari Metzger
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Love this book on leadership - it's a collection of articles that are perfect to keep in your flight bag for trips - short essays that give you something to think about and of course, the quintessential Drucker (how can you go wrong?)

I really would have given this 5 stars, but the last couple of articles didn't quite hit as close to home for me - even so, I waffled between 4 and 5 stars (would have been an ideal 4.5 star book!).

Recommended for anyone looking to up their game in leadership. :)
William
Oct 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I get that the conventions and quality of academic writing vary across disciplines. But the breathless tone of business/management academia gussies up the meager insights of this discipline as significant, penetrating scholarship. It isn't. And this book isn't worth your time.
Lizzy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
There were a couple interesting essays ("Crucibles of Leadership", can't remember the other one I liked) but in general I'm annoyed I had to read it for class.
Tommy Kiedis
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
When the editors of Harvard Business Review open their vault of leadership and management gems, scouring its vast depth for the best and brightest of their treasures, and then line them up for you to glimpse and grasp -- get in line! Whether you look at HBR's 10 Must Reads On Leadership as an essential leadership primer or approach it as a graduate course sandwiched between two covers, this book is outstanding.

HBR's 10 Must Reads On Leadership is a gathering of some of the best thought leaders
Geir Skårland
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unscientific, anecdotal and value-based, this collection of articles gives a good overview of leadership thinking. However, most of the articles follow this dubious method:
-look at successful companies or leaders
-formulate a leadership model and apply this to the material
-create compelling images as an illustration
-tell stories that confirm the model

The mere fact that the collection ends up with very different models of leadership shows that the results are more subjective and random than they p
Andrew
Sep 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I think this edition is one of the better HBR "10 Must Reads". This volume, on the subject of leadership, I found to be particularly intriguing. All of the articles remain timely, even though some were written long ago. These articles, which range from the difference between management and leadership, to being a truly authentic leader, and many points in between, are very helpful. Leadership is such an amorphous subject, and leadership comes in all different varieties, yet still the researchers ...more
Nick Jamil
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
It was very hard to rate this book. Many of the articles are actually quite insightful, despite my rating, and well worth the read. One could even call some of them "game changing". With regards to others, I just don't think I'm at a place in my career and in my organization where I can appreciate the articles. I skimmed those. Finally, there is an article or two in there, or some articles with a few parts within them, that I vehemently disagree with and can't understand how they made it into a ...more
Annie
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only a few of the articles were interesting but not "must reads" for a business person. Perhaps the articles were novel at the time they were published. Since then, many of the insightful topics have been expanded into books. A business person would recognize some of the authors like Peter F. Drucker ("The Effective Executive"), Jim Collins ("Good to Great"), and Daniel Goleman ("Emotional Intelligence").
Ravi
May 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of abstracts from all the bestselling books on Leadership. It's an excellent resource if you don't want to go through the pain of reading all the books completely and just want to grab the idea of all in a couple of days. The chapters give you multiple but related perspectives on leadership. Liked the chapters 'Discovering your Authentic Leadership' and In praise of the incomplete leader' the most. A handy reference to keep on your study table.
Waterxpolo
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
There are some essays like the first one on emotional intelligence that are excellent. I use this book for leadership training / development with people on my team, etc. If one cannot read the whole book, a select 3 essays can provide as much insight when combined with discussion as a course at a top business school like Stanford. Other essays meander and have redundant themes, or poor examples.
Mike Ncube
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for anyone leading a team or company or any aspiring leaders. I particularly enjoyed Jim Collins Level 5 leadership insights. I’ve read his book Good to Great too and this was an excellent summary of it
Ралица Генчева
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Не мога да намеря българското издание на книгата за лидерството, но книгата определено ми хареса. Истории на най-големите лидери, като на мен лично ми допадна най-много тази на Линкълн. Четох я преди години, но имам много приятни спомени.
Sarah Moeschter
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was great on learning the various types of leadership and how you can become a great leader in any given situation.
Filipe Lemos
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, audio, non-fiction
2017 November
2 stars
Manojkumar Parmar
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Its a must read for everyone because everyone can and is leader. It helps you understand leadership from multiple angles at multiple levels.
Ali
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good collection, i actually highlighted a few lessons.
Joy
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read this while launching the Exchanges in 2013. I have shared some of these articles with new/young managers.
Kelly
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-better
Anthology of HBR leadership articles that you may have already read if you've had any courses on the topic.
Frederik
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Leadership á laméricaine. Très intéressant, mais sans grosses surprises, á part le chapitre sur la distinction entre leadership et management. Un manager planifie est planification et fait un budget. Un leader definit la direction. Un manager organise et emplois les gens. Un leader aligne les gens. Un manager contrôle et résoud des problèmes. Un leader motive les gens. Distinction intéressante. ...more
Antariksa Akhmadi
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who deserves to be called a leader? Why should it be him or her? And what do leaders do anyway?

People have been arguing about the ideal leader. It's normal. If we all agreed on the concept of leadership, then we would not have to hold elections or support one person over the other to represent us. This book illuminates my understanding of leadership and leaders.

In essence, each article in this compilation gives differing and sometimes competing definitions of leadership. Daniel Coleman sees tha
Carolina Esteves de Andrade
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
I just invested in myself with the HBR’S 10 Must Reads Collection by Harvard Business Review Press. This series is really good because each book has 10 of the best articles published by Harvard University on each topic. I think it is a must read for any ambitious manager, new or experienced leader.

It is easy to read, each book has approximately 300 pages. Each chapter is an article from great authors such as Peter F. Drucker, Theodore Levitt, Robert S. Kaplan, David P. Norton and others. One of
Bob Gao
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
1.Crucibles of leadership
Exceptional leaders have 4 common elements 1) let others to work together on the joint goals 2) have differential voice to inspire people 3)integrity 4) adaptability of current environment

2. level 5 leadership the triumph of humility and fierce resolve

People before strategy, the right people on the bus and then do the right things

3. Why should anyone be led by you
1)show your weakness - so that people know you are human 2) situational leadership 3) show your Genien care
Anshul Thakur
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They are definitely a good read if you are looking for guidance. While some articles (mainly collaborations or case studies of how the programs devised by the authors worked wonders) did beat around the bush, it is the veterans like Christensen Clayton, Kaplan and Norton, Kotter, Peter Drucker and many others who moved my heart through beautiful prose in argument. A real story is often more influential than those with ‘A construction company in America’ type of themes and yet some researchers ha ...more
Mike Siegel
May 16, 2016 rated it liked it
10 articles on leadership. Some similar themes - be authentic, be empathetic, be humble and commit yourself to growth.

Some of the articles create a taxonomy of sorts for different type of leaders. Like Myers-briggs and other systems that put people into buckets, although flawed I found them to be decent tools to simplify the world and understand different archetypes. Most of these systems had a hierarchy, where you'd "level up". They did a good job of talking about the pros and cons of some of t
Oksana Uskova
Apr 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Harward Business Review - це журнал про менеджмент, який публікується видавництвом Гарвардського університету з 1922 року. У журналі публікувалися такі люди як: Пітер Друкер, Клейтон М. Крістенсен, Роберт Каплан та багато інших. КМ-Букс видало 10 найкращих статей #hbr, де зібрало добірки на обрані теми. Матеріал поданий легко, наведені статистичні данні та багато реальних кейсів. До кожної статті є короткий конспект "про головне". Додам від себе, що саме це я б хотіла почути в університеті на об ...more
John Lucy
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this for a class (a seminary class, actually). A lot of good stuff here. Not going to say much about it because it's a collection of essays. Some contradict others, in a way, but that's okay. All of them are quality and whichever speaks most to you in your own leadership situation you should go with. But if you are a leader and you can't speak in the language found in these essays, or at least understand and follow the ideas here, then you're falling short of your potential.
Frankz Kastner
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is a compilation of papers about the leadership. It describes different perspectives about styles of leadership and management. For me was wonderful because it opens to discover new books where I can deep more in the subjects, for example, I am definitely going to read Good to Great of J.Collins to learn more about the level 5 that he had written. Also, I am looking for books/biographies of the Level5s, Alchemists or just leaders that the authors took as examples.
Rhonda Sue
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This book is a compilation of 10 articles written by different authors on leadership. Authors include Jim Collins, John Kotter, and Daniel Goleman-all excellent in this area. Some of the other articles offered helpful info on what it takes, the skills needed, and how to acquire leadership skills. Leaders are not born, they evolve. Anyone in a leadership role or who aspires to move up the ladder would find most of the articles very helpful.
Bangladesh: Need "HBR's 10 Must Reads" 1 27 Jun 23, 2017 01:25PM
  • HBR Guide to Persuasive Presentations
  • Reinventing You: Define Your Brand, Imagine Your Future
  • The 4 Disciplines of Execution: Achieving Your Wildly Important Goals
  • Great Leaders Grow: Becoming a Leader for Life
  • HBR Guide to Better Business Writing (HBR Guide Series)
  • Images of Organization
  • Managing Oneself
  • Questions of Character: Illuminating the Heart of Leadership Through Literature
  • Force For Change: How Leadership Differs from Management
  • Key Management Models: The 60+ Models Every Manager Needs to Know
  • Memory Book: How to Remember Anything You Want
  • The Wisdom of Failure: How to Learn the Tough Leadership Lessons Without Paying the Price
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition

HBR's 10 Must Reads (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2015: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "The Focused Leader") (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads 2016: The Definitive Management Ideas of the Year from Harvard Business Review (with bonus McKinsey Award–Winning article "Profits Without Prosperity”) (HBR’s 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Change Management (including featured article “Leading Change” )
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Collaboration (with featured article “Social Intelligence and the Biology of Leadership,” by Daniel Goleman and Richard Boyatzis)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Communication (with featured article “The Necessary Art of Persuasion,” by Jay A. Conger)
  • On Emotional Intelligence (HBR's 10 Must Reads)
  • HBR'S 10 Must Reads: The Essentials
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Innovation (with featured article “The Discipline of Innovation,” by Peter F. Drucker)
  • HBR's 10 Must Reads on Making Smart Decisions
“When you combine a culture of discipline with an ethic of entrepreneurship, you get the magical alchemy of great performance.” 5 likes
“By contrast, those with leadership potential are motivated by a deeply embedded desire to achieve for the sake of achievement.” 2 likes