Start by marking “The Heat (The Big Bad Wolf, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Heat (The Big Bad Wolf, #1)

The Heat

(The Big Bad Wolf #1)

NOW IN PRINT!!!

Lily St. Claire is a southern girl, born and raised, and she has a soft spot in her heart for Baton Rouge. But when she returns after being out of town for a few years, she finds that things have changed. Katrina rearranged the city’s face, there are more people, the streets are meaner, and most importantly, the boy she had a crush on her entire childhood i
Published May 6th 2011 (first published November 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Heat, please sign up.

Liz
Oct 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
"During the course of her job, she'd been trained to teach women that a man's invading penis was not something to fight against to the point of coming to real harm. It was not worth dying for. It was taught that the important thing was to live through a rape- and deal with the rest later."

When I read this paragraph, I read it again and another three times to make sure my brain comprehended this correctly. And at last it did and after that comprehension came anger that Ms.Walden can approach rape
Angela James
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was ok
I'm trying not to be one of those people (especially publishing people) who says they never read self-pub'd books because they're all bad. So I've been browsing Amazon and picking up some of the 99 cent offerings that seem to have promising reviews and interesting story premises.

Unfortunately, this foray into self-pub didn't work out for me. During my years of publishing, I've trained myself to turn off the editorial side of my brain when I read for pleasure (otherwise it wouldn't be a pleasure
Jessi
May 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: shifters
TJ
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I really like Walden's storytelling ability. Although her werewolves weren't nearly as believable as others I have read, she can tell a story that grabs you and doesn't let you go. Her style is slightly dark, almost cynical in nature - sometimes more than I like (although admittedly, I'm a lightweight.) Her characters are real and don't always behave as they should, the "good" guys have faults, the bad guys have reasons and Walden always succeeds in making both sympathetic. I was slightly offen ...more
Didi
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
**** 3.5 to 4 stars **** BUT CLOSER TO 4!!!!!

I can never get enough of PNR, doesn't matter if it's vampires, werewolves, shape-shifters, fae...it's all good, with vamps and werewolves being my absolute favorites!

The Heat was of course, right up my alley and I really, really, liked it. The combination of alpha's vying for their mate and right to reproduce in an increasingly threatened species was both riveting and hot!

Lily has returned to Baton Rouge after being gone for 10 years. Lily is a dorma
Marsha
Apr 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Adult Paranormal Romance Lovers
When I first read the description for "The Heat" I thought that is was a paranormal romance. However, after reading the book, I must say that it is much, much more. "The Heat" is a thriller, a mystery blended very well with romance.

10 years ago, Lily St. Clare had the hots for her best friend's brother, Daniel Kane. However, he never gave her the time of day. Lily moved away and moved on with her life. However, after Katrina, she decides to move back to her home town of Baton Rouge to work at th
Emily
Coming home to Louisiana, Lily St. Claire expected to spend time with her best friend and reconnect with others from her past, she was not prepared to see former crush Officer Daniel Kane so soon though. Daniel is everything she had ever dreamed of in a man, but he had never shown any interest as well as a reputation as the town playboy kept her crush at bay.

Daniel promised his sister once he would stay away from Lily, but now that she is back he wants to claim his mate. He has to figure out awa
Sheyla ✎
May 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Lily St. Claire is returning home after 10 years away. She moved away trying to forget about Daniel Kane, her best friend's brother.
She has been dreaming about Daniel's sapphire blue eyes for years and now she has started dreaming about another man with green eyes, Malcolm Cole.
Daniel realizes she is his mate as soon as he catches her scent. Recently named the Chief of Police of Baton Rouge he is investigating a serial killer who has Lily in his sites.
But, Daniel has competition. Malcolm Cole, t
Nikki Wilde
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading The Vampire King and having some questions about a few of the characters that popped up, I decided, since I liked that book so much, to try the Big Bad Wolf series by Killough-Walden. I must say after reading the first book in the series I'm impressed and excited. I usually skip wolf series altogether because they've never really kept my interest in the past but this one certainly grabbed it from the beginning.

Lily St Claire is back after ten years. She's visiting with her best fri
Naomi
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle, favorites
This book had everything i love!! Feisty chick, hot guy & plenty of action (and no i'm not talking about sex scenes although there is a rather good one in here lol). The action & suspense is almost non-stop & i couldn't put my Kindle down til i had finished! Have downloaded the rest in this series ready to get stuck into:o)
The BookChick
Book Description:
The women of Baton Rouge have often dreamed about Daniel Kane; his blue-black hair, sapphire-blue eyes and the muscular body that has so deliciously held many of them captive in bed. Lily St. Claire has dreamed of him too, but her dreams are different: Daniel approaches her in human form before there is a blinding flash of light. In the next instant, a large black wolf stands in his place, watching her through Daniel’s piercing blue eyes.

Having returned to Louisiana after a dec
Marianne
Feb 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Not sure I can finish this book. I'm more than halfway through and while the narrator insists that the main character is "strong" she has been been nothing but the opposite so far. Describing a character as such when their actions in the book don't show this is not sufficient. I think my definition of a strong woman (or man) is very different than the author's. My definition includes someone who fights back when they or their loved ones are hurt or threatened, not complying with every request ma ...more
Jodie Louise
Aug 24, 2011 rated it liked it
2.5 Stars
Jill
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
this book was a complete suprise to me. I love suprises! What a great story and a different twist on the werewolf world. Magic!
Tina Williams
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it

Heather Killough-Walden’s Big Bad Wolf series has been near the top of my to read pile for some time and after finishing ‘The Heat’ I am asking myself why I left it so long! This book has made me seriously reassess my usual preference for vampires as this author’s werewolves are not only smart and uber dominant, but have an earthy get down and dirty sex appeal.

In ‘The Heat’, 28 year old Lily St Claire returns to her childhood town of Baton Rouge, which she left after high school, to take up a po
Alex
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
It would be quicker to explain to h whats happening instead of kidnapping her and scaring the shit outta her. DNF.
Y. Layla Shabazz
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Wow, what a twist! Very well written and narrated. I will definitely be finishing the Series and it's Spin-off.
Carrie
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this series before I had goodreads. I do enjoy them. This isn't the first time I've reread them and I doubt it will be the last.
Mrs.Vishous-Kattalakis-Belikov :::Para Itch Reviews:::
Lily St.Claire has always wanted her best friends brother...Daniel. But it seems that he doesn't feel the same since he's been with all of her friends but her. After returning back home to Baton Rouge 10 years later she reunites with Daniel and he's made a complete 180. But what Lily doesn't know is that Daniel's a werewolf and she is his attended mate. The only reason he didn't claim her 10 years ago was because he promised his sister that he would leave her alone. But know that Lily's all grow ...more
Kelly
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I thought this was a fun little book. It wasn't perfect but it kept my attention to the end and it was entertaining. I personally don't think I would have been quite as accepting as Lily was of being repeatedly kidnapped for nefarious purposes but she managed pretty well and came out of it okay in the end.

I really liked the secondary characters, especially Malcolm Cole and James Valentine. I liked that Cole wasn't a clear-cut bad guy. I liked that Valentine had his reasons for doing what he did.
Winnie
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Heat, is a PNR mixed with thriller and suspense yet all three are erotically potent when muddled up! What can I say Heather Killough-Walden left me panting… and flushed… leaving me drained with a big smile on my face! I have never tried this genre before, but I loved… loved everything about this book! The author is a brilliant storyteller who kept me enthralled and spellbound to this book like no other author had! Ever! Heather Killough- Walden’s writing is somewhat dark, almost disparaging ...more
Amy
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
I liked the idea of a paranormal werewolf romance and for $1 on Amazon, I figured I couldn't go wrong. The story was interesting. I liked the werewolves in this tale and I liked Lily. The writing was a bit redundant in places and could have used some editing to tighten it up but that is to be expected of a self-published work. I DID have a bit of a problem with Lily being kidnapped on 3 separate occasions by 3 separate people- I mean, seriously, how much kidnapping can one small storyline take??
gert
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
meh. the 2nd book in this series - 'the strip' - is SO much better. better characters, fo'shizzle. could not stand lily (the heroine in this book) but when she shows up in the 2nd books, she's slihgtly more likable. slightly.

the editing in both is the pits, though. typos, spelling errors, amateur hour.

i'll continue with the series, as long as the price remains low. if you're one of those people who gauge their level of enjoyment against how much they had to fork out, then get this book. definite
Lupdilup Duffy
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
This is the fourth book I've bought for $.99 cents from Heather K.- Walden, I was little put off when I read so many negative reviews, but I figured for the price I didn't have much to lose.
Again I got sucked in with in the first few pages, I guess I just enjoy her style of writing, I like her character's development, I thought it was a good beginning to the series, so yes, to me it was worth the $.99 cents.
Brandy
This book was great! I wish we had .5 stars so I could rate these books exactly how I want to... I would have rated it a 4.5, but I usually only rate a book a 5 when I feel like I can't put the book down. I didn't really have that feeling with this book, but I still enjoyed it a lot. I loved the characters & the storyline; however some parts were predictable. I would definitely recommend this book to other people.
=^☺^=mskitty
Mar 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for a dollar and I can't believe how good it was. We were just talking about book prices and I said if it was selling for under 2.99 it probably wasn't any good. Well shame on me, what a bargain.
I am looking forward to the next one, and recommend to all PNR lovers, and lovers of a good bargain lol!
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This first novel in the Big Bad Wolf series had me hooked quite quickly. I enjoyed the back story and it added to the intrique of the entire book. I liked this book so much, I immediately bought the next two books in the seris. Well done. :)
Maria Pussycat
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wolves
I loved it!
I loved the whole series and the fact that the characters of all of the three books, still seem to make an appearence.
The 'heat' is scorching, and you cannot put it down with suspense. Just love it!
Dawn
Apr 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was terrible. The grammar was ridiculous and was distracting. Lily was lame as a heroine. And some of the references and large parts of the story were formulaic and contrived. Glad it was free, but sad that I wasted time on it.
☺~Tina~☺
Feb 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
Not a bad book but I'm going to really need authors to stop repeating themselves. There is no need to reiterate what you just told me 5 pages ago. That is the only thing that got on my nerves about this book. She gave the werewolves different abilities, which I thought was refreshing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Shifting Positions (Woodcliff Shifters #1)
  • Chasing Paradise (Alpine Woods Shifters, #2)
  • Leader of the Pack
  • Vulfen Alpha's Mate (Vulfen Cadre, #1)
  • Howling for My Baby (Cannon Pack, #1)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • The Panther's Desire (Were-Cats of Apple Creek, #1)
  • Alpha Turned (Wolf Appeal, #1)
  • A Certain Wolfish Charm (Westfield Wolves, #1)
  • A Wolf's Duty (Love Bites, #1)
  • On The Prowl
  • Dark Embers (Dragon's Heat, #1)
  • Night Falls Darkly (Shadow Guard, #1)
  • Pack Alpha (Were Chronicles, #1)
  • Regina in the Sun (Children of the Goddess, #1)
  • Dark Wolf Running (Bloodrunners, #5)
  • Summer's Caress (Wolf’s Heritage, #2)
  • Skylar's Devotion (Roxie's Protecters, #4)
Heather Killough-Walden is a California native currently living in Texas with her husband and child. She is the New York Times bestselling author of the Big Bad Wolf series. Heather’s educational background includes religious studies, archeology, and law. She has traveled all over the world but hopes to one day live in a town with a world-class hockey team. (Let’s Go Pens!) Visit Heather’s website ...more

The Big Bad Wolf (4 books)
  • The Strip (The Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • The Spell (The Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • The Hunt (The Big Bad Wolf, #4)
“Jennings saw this and held the gun up with his fingers splayed placatingly as if to show her that he wasn’t planning on using it. Not yet, anyway. “I don’t want to hurt you again, Lily,” he told her. “So just make sure you don’t do anything stupid, and I won’t.” At that moment, he reminded her of John Cusack in Grosse Pointe Blank. He acted like he was making a reasonable request. As if there was justification for shooting someone thirty times.” 12 likes
“If a human female was going to defeat a male alpha werewolf, there was only so many thing she could do to accomplish that feat. All of them were batshit.” 10 likes