Start by marking “Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health” as Want to Read:
Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health

Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees: Honey Production, Pollination, Bee Health

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  116 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Whether you're just getting started or are managing dozens of hives, Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees will help you successfully manage a thriving beekeeping operation.
Published September 15th 2010 by Storey Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Guide to Keeping Honey Bees

Melanie
Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees
Malcolm T. Sanford & Richard E. Bonney
Produced by Storey Publishing
Source : Review copy

When we first started our ‘hobby’ farm we turned to Storey’s Guides as our first choice in all inclusive information to get us started. I recently have been curious about honey bees and how to start hives. I saw that Storey had a guide to honey bees and I was sure it would be a great read.

I was enlightened again by the level of instruction and direction that this guide
Arminzerella
The authors have a wealth of bee and beekeeping information between them, having written articles and several books on these topics. Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees is an excellent primer for the beginning beekeeper (experienced ones may learn a thing or two as well!), and one to revisit time and time again. One of the things it addresses particularly well is the infestation of the Varroa mite (as well as other bee diseases/parasites) and the options beekeepers have for dealing with it. Thi ...more
Scott Knight
Jun 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book provides what I would consider to be an intermediate level of beekeeping knowledge. It was the second book I read on beekeeping and had additional information that was not covered in the first book I read. I felt this book was more focused on larger scale commercial beekeeping type knowledge rather than hobbyist beekeepers who may have more time to do things manually, or a desire to do things with minimal or no chemical control.

I had the opportunity to attend a class with Dr. Sanford a
Kit
Apr 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suzy-homemaker
Covers langstroth style beekeeping. Does not include natural beekeeping (warre type hive). Useful sample contract in the back of the book for keeping hives on someone elses' land (for pollination purposes).
Angela
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sustainability
I have very little intention of actually keeping bees, but I am interested in the processes and I thought this book was great. Very readable, sometimes funny. I enjoyed it.

Riverview Book Club.
Joseph
Nov 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is an excellent book for anyone just starting out keeping bees. It explains everything you need to know and the supplies to get. I found it very helpful and I would recommend it to anyone interested in raising honey bees.
Annie Oosterwyk
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: how-to
This was a good choice for anyone interested in starting out. The information was both general and comprehensive but not as useful for someone already working with bees.
Matt Braymiller
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the most informative book of the five that I have read on the topic of beekeeping.
PWRL
Dec 10, 2013 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
E
Nathan
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fabulous! Helpful, interesting and informative.
Kathy
Mar 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Taking care of honey bees in a lot of work. Not for me!
Patrick Hinman
May 17, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A summary on beekeeping

A beekeeping basics that lacks useful information for practical hands on applications. Most of the references were outdated or unrevised.
Shelly
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in November, but it pretty much scared me away from the idea. I am going to read it again now that I have more knowledge and am starting my own hive.
Nels Christopherson
Very interesting and educational
Rex
Jan 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a great overview of the basics - or what you might learn in a Beekeeping 101 hands-on class. I did not see much in the way of advanced beekeeping topics.
Amanda
Herrick Spencer
Jun 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens: Care / Feeding / Facilities
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats, 4th Edition: Breeds, Care, Dairying, Marketing
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs: Care/Facilities/Management/Breed Selection
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Sheep: Breeds, Care, Facilities
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits
  • The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • The Backyard Goat: An Introductory Guide to Keeping and Enjoying Pet Goats, from Feeding and Housing to Making Your Own Cheese
  • Natural Beekeeping: Organic Approaches to Modern Apiculture
  • The Honeybee Man
  • Country Wisdom & Know-How: A Practical Guide to Living off the Land
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
  • Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
  • Homegrown and Handmade: A Practical Guide to More Self-Reliant Living
  • The Five-Year Guide to Self-Sufficiency: Simple Living Made Simpler
  • The Case of the Vanishing Honeybees: A Scientific Mystery
“Out of sight is out of mind. The closer your hives are to your residence the better. Beginners need colonies nearby so they can visit them often. Casual visits are important even if you don’t open the hives. You can learn much simply by observing the entrance.” 0 likes
“The lethal dose of honey bee venom in humans is around 19 stings per 2.2 pounds (1 kg) of body weight or about 1,300 stings for a 150-pound (68-kg) person.” 0 likes