Start by marking “Forsaken (Plain Fear #1)” as Want to Read:
Forsaken (Plain Fear #1)

Forsaken

(Plain Fear #1)

"Hannah cannot move on."

She pines for Jacob, the boy who saved her life when she drowned, bringing her back from the brink of death by breathing life into her.

"But Jacob is gone now, buried."

Published August 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Forsaken, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forsaken

Start your review of Forsaken (Plain Fear #1)
Katie(babs)
Jun 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gag-worthy-book
Certain books will have such an amazing synopsis or blurb that I must get my hands on them ASAP. I have a 50/50 chance of then liking what I’ve read. The power of the blurb can help sell an author’s work in so many ways, along with an eye pleasing cover. Leanna Ellis’s Plain Fear: Forsaken has both of these things. A great cover, blurb and a mash up of two genres you normally don’t hear about- an Amish Vampire romance.

Unfortunately this book was DOA (dead on arrival) and by page 40, I was close
Wendy Hines
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Roc Girouard is a policeman in New Orleans who hasn't worked since his wife Emma was murdered two years ago. So when his old partner urges his to take a look at the newest crime scene, Roc doesn't want to go, until he is told she looks like Emma. What he sees, the two puncture holes in the neck and the body almost drained of blood, enrages him. He doesn't believe in vampires but it's unexplainable. The victim is dressed in plain clothes, so Roc decides to chase the monster to Pennsylvania.

Hanna
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a such a simple yet interesting story. The characters are interesting but what makes it such an exquisite read, are the contrasting themes that permeate the book: love and loss, light and dark, good and evil. Most importantly the vampire in this story is dark and evil the way vampires should be, not shiny, sparkly, and happy.

Here are my thoughts on why I enjoyed this book so much:

*Hannah is so young, religious, innocent, and honorable. I just wanted to hug her and tell her what to do in
ElphaReads
So when I heard that Amish vampire romance was a thing, I was hoping that it would be a campy and cheesy romp that I could enjoy just for the absurdity alone. I love vampires, I love... okay, I don't really love romance or Amish fiction, so this could probably be a 'what were you expecting?!' kind of moment. But whatever I was expecting, I picked up FORSAKEN by Leanna Ellis, an Amish vampire romance novel. I expected one thing, but got something else, and I wasn't too thrilled by it.

Hannah can't
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://longandshortreviews.blogspot.c...

Hannah is still mourning Jacob even though he died. She wishes he’d come back and they could get married like they planned. But when he does, he has changed…

Ms. Ellis sets the scene in an Amish community, where everyone lives “plain”. They center on their religion and don’t take on the trappings of the modern world. However, before they are baptized into the fold, the young adults are allowed to go away and experience other life. Par
Carolyn E
Sep 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone who enjoys Amish fiction
Recommended to Carolyn E by: Jodie, Fans of Amish fiction
Plain Fear: Forsaken, by Leanna Ellis, is a masterful story of good versus evil, Amish versus vampire. It is beautifully written with appropriate excerpts from poetry and scripture inserted in various places throughout the novel.
Jacob Fisher is currently in his Rumspringe, or running around time, before he is baptized into the Amish church. He and Hannah Schmidt, his childhood sweetheart, plan to be married as soon as Jacob joins the church. However, Jacob is restless, and he travels to New Orl
Blodeuedd Finland
I have sure seen those Amish romance books around and wondered if I should try one, well I did (in a way), it seems my first Amish book was a Amish vampire romance suspense book.

Hannah is the heroine. The Amish do not dwell on things but she can't forget Jacob. She seems very lost in her pain and she questions God for taking Jacob from her. Still she is a nice enough young woman and she can see that Levi, Jacob's brother is in love with her. Levi, him I did like. He wanted to wait for her, until
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Plain Fear: Forsaken is an Amish Vampire romance novel written by Christian fiction author Leanna Ellis.When I found out about the book, I knew it would be either really great or really horrible, but also that I had to read it. Fortunately, the novel is great.

There is no way to escape the gimmicky concept. Vampire and Amish fiction have both been very popular for a couple years now and don't seem to be waning. However, Ellis has taken a gimmicky concept and created a sincere story of good versus
Sharon
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really don’t know how to classify this book. I think it is YA, but I feel it leans more towards Adult. I’ve seen it called Christian Literature, and it is heavy on the faith and beliefs of the Amish community, but it is more about love conquering the darkness, and it is a very dark tale. It is a paranormal romance because there are vampires and a sad love triangle.

I found the writing a little rough around the edges and it felt like there were two separate stories going on that didn’t mesh well
April
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: amish, v, vampires
PLAIN FEAR: FORSAKEN by Leanna Ellis is an interesting fiction. It combines Amish communtity and vampires in a captivating,unique story. It has secrets,vampires,Amish,secrets revealed,love,lose,passion, good vs evil,Amish vs vampires, deception,deliverance,fate,and grief.Hannah,who has lost the love of her life must choose between ligh and darkness,between her lost love,the new love she has found,but has been afraid to embrace. This is a truly heartbreaking,captivating and haunting story that wi ...more
Sheila
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Plain Fear Forsaken by Leanna Ellis. This was my first Goodreads Book (I won) Autographed by Leanna Ellis and I was intreged by the Title and the Cover Picture. I was not sure how to approach this book, Paranormal and Amish, however Mrs. Ellis did an excellent job in bringing the Amish culture to life with the twist of a love triangle, brother against brother. I was glad for Levi and yet sad for Akiva (Jacob) and somehow hoped Hannah would pick Akiva. I liked how Mrs. Ellis kept the chapters sho ...more
Christina
What can I say but POPPING WOW! Ms. Leanna Ellis is a genius in combining two high marketable book genres into one incredible novel! Amish collides with Vampires would seem like a lame move to get on the Amish and Vampire Band-Wagon money maker novels; however, Ms. Ellis does an amazing job to step around any cheezy 'stereotypes' and provide a story that has your adrenaline rushing through every word, your heart pounding with every turn of the page. A book that will have you mesmerize and wantin ...more
Jessica
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I first picked up this book I didn't realize that it was about vampires. I figured it was more of a murder mystery than anything else. I do enjoy books featuring the Amish and books featuring vampires so why not bring the two together, even if it seems like a bit of an odd coupling? The novel moved a little slowly in some places, however I found the story unique and intriguing. I finished the last half in one marathon reading session because I just had to know how it came to an end. I was q ...more
Heather
Nov 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
When I heard that an Amish vampire novel had just been published, I had to check it out. It's such a ridiculous concept that I had to see how it played out--sort of like Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Plain Fear: Forsaken certainly didn't fail to entertain. The contrast between the simple, religious Amish and the vampire craziness is pretty funny. The book moves a bit slowly at first; I feel like it could be about 100 pages shorter. Still, I enjoyed it.
Carol
Feb 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book kept my attention all the way through. I kept wondering what was going to happen next. I would have liked to see the end resolved a bit different but it was okay. I do have to say that I think I have now read my fill of "christian vampire" books. I just don't see the gospel or redemption aspect. I feel like the authors who have written in this genre are writing to get more readers and not to give the all important message I want to see.
Jenn
I reread this for book club, cuz I obviously wouldn’t remember a book from 6 years ago, and I really liked it. It was different from many of the Amish books I’ve read, and yet not. I like some Amish books and also some vampire ones, so this was a good combination. Who knew Amish vampire book could work‽‽
Andrew Shaffer
May 20, 2011 rated it liked it
A fairly straightforward "inspirational" romantic suspense novel...with vampires. The religious and horror elements mix well, although paranormal fans will be frustrated with the PG tone -- the romance is less steamy than most Young Adult novels these days.
Raven
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very nice twist on the vampire story. This story is based in an Amish community, when I first read the back I thought it would be decent to read, but it ended up being a very good story line and not the typical vampire story or setting. Good author.
Tona
Jun 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked this new take on a vampire story. I would think that it would be hard to blend a supernatural plot with a Amish thread. This author did an amazing job not only making both plots work but to weave them together. I am looking forward to more from this Author.
Shelley
Aug 05, 2013 rated it liked it
amish vampires. :D

I enjoyed the book, but you can tell the author was trying to hard. there is a lot of overwrought description and far reaching comparisons. the book is worth a read, though, because...AMISH VAMPIRES.
Mart Ramirez
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
has created an captivating take on vamps. Here's the review for FORSAKEN. Loved it! http://bit.ly/joHZ2K ...more
Lisa Anne Morrow
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Vampires and Amish, oh my! However, there's a twist to this book! LOVED IT!!
The Library Ladies
Sep 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance, horror
(originally reviewed at thelibraryladies.com )

Did you know that there is not only Amish Romance, but apparently there is also AMISH VAMPIRE ROMANCE???

DID YOU!?!?!?

Because I didn’t, and the moment that I found this out I was like WHAAAAAT??

So what did I do? I requested it as soon as I could because OH MY GOD HOW BIZARRE. I don’t know what I expected. I mean, it’s laid out pretty plainly just what this book is going to be. We have a pious and pure Amish woman who is tempted by a vampire because
Catherine
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book!
"Hannah cannot move on."

"But Jacob is gone now, buried."

Levi's love for Hannah burns just as strong. But he knows how much Hannah loved his brother Jacob. He also knows the troubling event that took Jacob out of their lives. And he lives with that lie every day.

So when a stranger named Akiva comes to their community, he carries with him t
Camille
From my blog: http://books-camilleelise4.blogspot.com

Vampires are all the craze lately, no?

Well I must admit I haven't really gotten into that genre myself.

Especially that vile series, Twilight. Ewwwwww.

I have always figured if you want to read about Vampires, go and read the original: Dracula.

But, when this book was on sale, I went ahead and got it, figuring I would at least give it a try.

Plain Fear: Forsaken by Leanna Ellis

What genres are pretty much polar opposites?

Probably Amish fiction and
Jamie Murdock
Nov 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Hilariously terrible, from the eyes-a-flutter protagonist, to the 2D love interest brothers. Just about every chapter starts with a cliché, and it's awfully akin to Twilight for how much fun it pokes at it.
Olenka Owens
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Christine Sadlon
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesome, very different then the usual Amish books.
Georgann
Nov 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, series
Meh. Moved too slow, too much romancy stuff, don't consider it "Christian" b/c they swore using the Lord's name. Just...
Jaylon
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two of my favorite

Never thought I would ever see a book that was about the Amish and vampires. I highly recommend this book even if you don't enjoy this genre.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Darkness Before Dawn (Darkness Before Dawn #1)
  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox and the Horse
  • Blood-Kissed Sky (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #2)
  • After Daybreak (Darkness Before Dawn Trilogy, #3)
  • The Flight Girls
  • Immortal Hearts (Vampire Kisses, #9)
  • Dragon Rider (Dragon Rider, #1)
  • The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work: A Practical Guide from the Country's Foremost Relationship Expert
  • Officer Buckle and Gloria
  • Homebody: A Guide to Creating Spaces You Never Want to Leave
  • A Wolf Apart (The Legend of All Wolves, #2)
  • Lady Isabella's Scandalous Marriage (MacKenzies & McBrides, #2)
  • The Many Sins of Lord Cameron (MacKenzies & McBrides, #3)
  • Desperate Duchesses (Desperate Duchesses, #1)
  • An Affair Before Christmas (Desperate Duchesses, #2)
  • Hungry Like the Wolf (SWAT, #1)
  • Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
Deep in the heart not only describes where Leanna Ellis lives in Texas but also the way she writes. Her books, whether romance, inspirational, women’s fiction, or paranormal, are infused with heartfelt emotion. Having written twenty published novels, Ellis has won many awards including the National Readers Choice Award and the Maggie Award.

When not chasing vampires through the darkened recesses of

Plain Fear (3 books)
  • Forbidden (Plain Fear #2)
  • Forgiven (Plain Fear #3)