Start by marking “Add Toner: A Cometbus Collection” as Want to Read:
Add Toner: A Cometbus Collection

Add Toner: A Cometbus Collection

Add Toner brings together classic, out of print issues of Cometbus magazine, including 'Lanky' (a novella), 'Back to the Land' (an oral history of the children of hippie homesteaders) plus sixty other interviews and short stories. The text is lovingly handwritten, interspersed with bold graphics and illustrations. Includes never-before-published material. Add Toner is the ...more
Published July 15th 2011 by Last Gasp (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Add Toner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Add Toner

Natalie
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A blinders-off and somehow irreverent love letter to the parts of the recent-past berkeley that I miss so much, and to parts that I never knew but feel like I did. Insightful and hilarious; probably less punk than the early zines. Borrow this from me.
Andrew
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great culture/historical perspective of groups doing it on their own. It pertains to owning a business together. Being an individual, to the extreme fringe ends...including drugs, drinking, and random encounters with the world. To living with nature and the experiences that come with them. The entire book is set-up interview style; the author interviewing people from each of these walks of life.
Brendan
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Peak Cometbus. Both Lanky and Back to the Land are among the greatest things Aaron has ever written.
Maria
May 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Insightful and enjoyable.
Jonathan Kieran
Jan 08, 2015 rated it liked it
I've only read excerpts from the previous Cometbus anthology "Despite Everything" (there's a generous preview on Google Books), but from what I can tell "Add Toner" is rather a different beast. The earlier collection includes a bunch of different voices (though always collated and overseen by the industrious Aaron Cometbus) and employs sort of a shotgun strategy, experimenting with tons of different formats, graphic styles, and so on. This volume is dominated by a few longer pieces and is comple ...more
Andrew Guthrie
Dec 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I judge books by the cover, by the feel . . . the initial sense of whether I might be interested. or not. "Add Toner "certainly let its cover attract me, let alone that it sat on the bookshop shelf along side the author's more DIY productions - that is, the Cometbus "zines". "Zines" in a bookshop? On a regular shelf? Not regulated to an impenetrable mass of neglected media somewhere in the back of the store?

Sure, there was something there, let alone that one of the cover blurbs stated "a legend
Joe
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this quite a bit, and not quite for the reasons I expected. There's not a lot about punk music but tons about punk as an ethos, and related questions about community, including the tentative balance between rejection and inclusivity that defined punk for me growing up. Sad I missed this at age 16.
Ben
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I can't help it. I love Cometbus.
KayLee
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Better than Despite Everything, to me. There was more of his beautiful, funny, thought-provoking writing <3
David Cowhig
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An autobiographical and group biographical (of characters the author has met) of 80s punk culture that reads like a fine novel.
Amy
Sep 15, 2011
Nick
Oct 28, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Aaron Elliott, better known as Aaron Cometbus, is a drummer, lyricist, self-described "punk anthropologist" and author of Cometbus, a seminal punk rock zine.