Start by marking “When Passion Rules” as Want to Read:
When Passion Rules

When Passion Rules

#1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey weaves a marvelous adventure set in the tumultuous world of continental royalty, where a stolen princess discovers a kingdom she was meant to inherit—and a passion made to rule her heart.

Forced to flee Napoleon’s rampaging army on the continent, orphaned Alana Farmer and her eccentric guardian make a new home for themsel
Published June 14th 2011 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about When Passion Rules, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Passion Rules

Book Wonderland
I loved Christoph! :)
Carrie Huot
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
The plot of this book was good. The plot, although not unique, was good enough for me to not give this book a completely terrible review. The romance, on the other hand, can be summed up with one word- atrocious. I did not like the "hero" of this novel at all. He alternates between humiliating the main character -- whose name I have already forgotten -- and being irritating and controlling. Even if a man was really attractive, I don't know how those type of actions could cause anyone to fall in ...more
Lisa
This could have been a fantastic book. The base plot was very good and had all the elements needed to keep tensions high.

Princess Alana is kidnapped as an infant and raised by the assassin who had been sent to kill her. Now she's 18 and needed back in her home country to prevent a war. But when she gets there, she finds she has to get through Christoph, the captain of the guard, before she can see her father, the king. Meanwhile the person who hired the assassin was never caught and there are c
Guilty Pleasures Book Reviews
Angeline's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars and a Recommended Read

I read some of the other reviews for When Passion Rules by Johanna Lindsey before I knew I was reviewing it myself. They were all over the place. What I found interesting is that those that did not rate the book very high wrote very unkind reviews. It’s those kinds of reviews that are not helpful to readers. They are not helpful to authors either. Honest, constructive opinions win out over malicious, unhelpful negativity
Caz
Okay. So I admit that this isn’t a book that would normally have been near the top of my TBR pile. I haven’t read it before, haven’t read any reviews and only had the synopsis to go on; and decided that while it sounded okay, I wasn’t going to bust a gut when I’ve got so many other things I want to read.

BUT. Then I discovered that Rosalyn Landor had narrated the audiobook, and as I’ve been glomming her stuff big time lately, I changed my mind.

This is one of those times when I think the performan
Melanie
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
I reviewed this novel for my blog www.bookworm2bookworm.wordpress.com

I used to await with abated breath for one of Johanna's books. It was always a pleasure to open them, be it hardcover or paperback. There was never a doubt in my mind that every story she puts out would be devoured, savored and long remembered. With years and the avalanche of crop of young authors of romance putting their stamp and feet forth, Johanna's stories kept coming, but to me they were now a bit `behind' the times. Does
Elle

This one gets three stars because it's a decent story. Lots of intrigue, adventure, a whodunit and a HEA that, while you expect it, doesn't really seem that easy to reach at times. But the story also loses a couple stars because there were things I tripped over. Start with the fact that while this is a "historical" romance, the country the heroine comes from is fictitious. I'm enough of a history wonk that I'm disappointed when the story isn't based on actual history. Then there's the fact tha
Lynn
Sep 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting book because it is set in a completely fictional country of Lubinia -- some cross between Latvia and Lithuanian ... maybe with snow and mountains and lakes with thin ice cover.

Alana is a young woman raised in "civilized" London by Poppie, a man she calls uncle. When she is 18 years of age her uncle reveals that despite the fact that he has started orphanages and helped dishonored genteel ladies -- he hasn't always been such an impeccable gentleman. There in lies the start
fleurette
Dec 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish it. Gave up at about 33%.

This was not my first book by Johanna Lindsey. I have already read some of her older and one of her newer books. As far as I didn't really enjoy her older ones, I was positively surprised by her new one - Let Love Find You. So I decided to give a chance to When Passion Rules.

I absolutely adore the cover of this book. I think it made me read it. Unfortunately, the cover is probably the best part of this book.

I didn't like the characters. I found Alana someho
Romance_reader
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
this book is just meh. no sign of the usual spark found in other JL books and the characters weren't very exciting either. I found myself skimming over most pages due to sheer boredom, so it's definitely not something I can recommend to anyone. two stars!
Pamela(AllHoney)
Not her best but not her worst either. I liked it but wasn't overly wowed over it. I liked the characters. Though for a few pages I had my doubts about the hero. There were some interesting twists that kept the story moving at a good pace.
Wendy
May 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Pretty good. I think I would have finished this read sooner, if I hadn't spent so much time at "ogling" the beaufiful man on the cover!
Lover of Romance
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
After reading Let Love Find You, I was pretty disappointed. Johanna Lindsey is one of the first authors I read from and loved when I first starting reading romance...especially historical romance. I have always enjoyed the majority of her books, especially her earlier ones and the Malory series. So I was a bit anxious when I got When Passion Rules from the library. Even though I just LOVED the cover I knew I might not love the story. It started out a bit slower than I expected, but once it picke ...more
Debbie
Aug 21, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm a little surprised at all the negative things I heard about this book. While not up to par with her Mallory books I still enjoyed it a lot. I loved Poppie, the man who raises Alana, and I wish we could have seen more of his character and there was also an orphan, Henry, that I also wish we could have seen more of because he was the cutest thing. Alana gave me mixed feelings because she had this awesome, unconventional education from Poppie that included weapons training which I loved but I w ...more
Chumchum_88
Nov 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was one kind of book that even through the characters it made me feel that it's so far-fetched a bit, but I loved every second of it, ok some moments it made me feel annoyed and frustrated.

The whole idea of a long lost princess raised by an assassin wasn't an original but I liked it her, cause Poppy was the character I liked the most, of course I liked Alana too. But mostly I felt sorry for her, suddenly being told that she's a princess and she must travel thousands of miles to claim her pl
Rachel
Aug 13, 2011 rated it did not like it
I normally enjoy Lindsey's books as fun, satirical romances. This seemed like it was a throwback to the '80s, complete with "man showing mastery over woman 101" and "even though woman has been trained to defend herself, the man HAS to rescue her 101" throughout the book. Even the plot twist was about as subtle as a hammer to the face. I'm really disappointed as this author usually succeeds in entertaining me. GO BACK TO WRITING THE MALLORYS!
Nisha
Feb 04, 2011 marked it as did-not-finish
I'm really going to read this aren't I? *facepalm* Bring it on, JL.
Anita
Jul 31, 2011 rated it liked it
GENRE: Adult-Romance
FORM: AudioBook
NARRATOR: Rosalyn Landor

SYNOPSIS Alana thought that the most important decisions in her life was who to marry and when, and whether she wanted to continue to teach at the orphanage her Uncle “Poppie” own and ran. Her life is instantly turned upside down when Poppie reveals that he was once an assassin who was given the assignment to kill the heir to the throne of Lubinia, which was her. Now she has to deal with the fact that she is not an ordinary girl, but a p
Gavin
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just like Once a Princess this book is set in a fictional European country where the princess and heir of that country was raised elsewhere with no idea of her true identity.

I'm sure the similar plots will annoy some people. Luckily I'm not one of those people and since Once a Princess is my favorite Lindsey book, I was looking forward to more of the same here. I was not disappointed.

The book was a fun read and both the main characters were likable enough. Christoph was one of the tamer Lind
Seffra
Apr 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Meet my Christophe:
Meet my Alana:
description
I haven't read a Johanna Lindsey book in quite some time and can I say, I MISSED HER!!! AND I STILL LOVE HER!!
description

This book started off slow for me but then when we met Christophe it really picked up. Johanna Lindsey really loves writing asshole-like guys..but we, her readers, fall in love with them! Christophe was such an ass but then he grew as the book progressed. He was such a sweet guy when it came to Alana's wellbeing which totally contradicted who he w
Christine
Nov 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
One of Johanna Lindsey's best, I think. Alana finds out early in the book that she is really a princess of some tiny European kingdom, secreted away by her own assassin who couldn't bear to kill her as an infant. She returns when she turns 18 to try to stop the rebels from undermining the throne. Of course, she can't just walk up to the king and say she's his long-lost daughter. First, she has to get vetted by the captain of his guards, who doesn't believe her for a second.

I actually found myse
Viana Lazo
Jul 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love it! This book really made me love the characters!! I thought since this was a book that the settings had taken place at the 18th or 19th century it would be once again, a book that has beautiful ladies with the dilemma of finding a husband. Thank God Johanna Lindsey had once again led me to believe that she is far by one of my favorite authors!

I had read her book which is The Loving Scoundrel and I was more than happy to read about a girl that was clever and stunning. In this book the mai
Hannah
Apr 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-romance
Usually, I have a very good understanding of the difference between reality and fantasy, historical standards versus current standards of behavior, and therefore, I usually do not get too involved in the gender politics of romance novels. However, the tone of this book was so rape-y I simply couldn't ignore it. The heroine meets her "hero" when he sexually assaults her, then forcibly strips her and locks her in a dungeon. He spends the rest of the story using his strength- physical, political, s ...more
Lupdilup Duffy
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
3.1/2
I had pretty low expectations, but actually this was pretty good, I never read/listened to Johanna Lindsey before, so I imagine that if this one it's not one her best,(according to most reader's opinion) she must have some excellent books I need to check out.
The narrator Rosalyn Landor does a great job with this book, and I know her male voices are not the best, but she makes up for it with her realistic way of bringing this characters and world to life.
This might be another case where the
Susan (susayq ~)
Jul 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my first JL book and I have to admit, it had me worried at first. I've heard wonderful things about her, but it started off really slow for me. But once it started moving, I was hooked :) There was a big twist in the story that totally threw me, then it twisted back to the original thought about what was right. I wasn't expecting that. I'm looking forward to the next one I have to read by her.
Amy
May 07, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: hated-it
Plotline had potential, but ended up being a confusing, jumbled mess. Dialogue was horrible...way too modern, with too much modern vernacular. Romance seemed rushed and forced, and just not believable. I couldn't have cared less whether the two main characters had a HEA. So much about this book I just didn't like at all. So much stupidity all around that I ended up skimming most of it, then just giving up before I was finished.
Lynsey A
This was a pretty decent book although not to the old JL standard. I love her oldies. I read this in one day. After a slow start it kept me engaged. At times the writing felt rushed and awkward, not what we are used to from JL. The villain of the piece felt like a cop-out to me.

The live story felt rushed and bot all that romantic. It was a bit of a bummer.

However, it had a cute story and I liked how it all turned out in the end.
Nina Reads Too
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I enjoy this book more than Johanna's last book. I felt that there could be more to the book and more depth to the character. I felt there should have been more chemistry but alot better than the las Malory book. Johanna Lindsey is still one of my favorite authors but this book need more humph. But overall a good read.
Brad Jae
"When Passion Rules" Johanna Lindsey..This book was really amazing!! I enjoyed entire book form beginning to the very end. To me the "When Passion Rules" was mixture between Suspense, Romance, and Mystery. Which was really good . The book had me on the edge of my seat literally!! while it was pouring down raining while I was reading. I would recommend everyone to read this book!!
Diane
this book is a contemporary novel thin.ly disguised as a regency-era book, which i particularly dislike. the characters' language, morals, etc., are just too modern to be suitable for a regency book. and the characters seem to be almost caricatures of a hero and heroine. not one of the best things i've read lately, so i', glad it was a libray book, and i didn't pay good money for it.

• Scoundrel's Honor (Russian Connection #3)
  • Duke Most Wanted (Heiress Brides, #3)
  • Mistress to Her Husband
  • The Taming of a Scottish Princess (Hurst Amulet, #4)
  • Some Like It Wild (Kincaid Highland, #2)
  • Knight of Seduction
  • A Fiery Baptism
  • Imagine
  • The Accidental Countess (Accidental, #2)
  • Kept by Her Greek Boss
  • An Unlikely Governess
  • Shackled by Diamonds (Models & Millionaires, #2)
  • By Grace Possessed (The Three Graces, #2)
  • The Sweet Surrender of Janet Buchanan (The MacGregors: Highland Heirs, #2.5)
  • Separate Lives
  • Married to the Viscount (Swanlea Spinsters, #5)
  • Conor's Way
  • The Fiorenza Forced Marriage (Harlequin Presents #2807)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom