Start by marking “LDS - Lectures on Faith” as Want to Read:
LDS - Lectures on Faith

LDS - Lectures on Faith

Lectures on Faith is a set of seven lectures on the doctrine and theology of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, first published as the "doctrine" portion of the 1835 edition of the canonical Doctrine and Covenants, but later removed. It was presented by Joseph Smith, Jr. to a group of elders in a course known as the "School of the Prophets" in the early winte ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published October 5th 2010 by Standard Works, LLC (first published 1835)

To ask other readers questions about LDS - Lectures on Faith, please sign up.
Eli Do not look to J. Smith for the answer. I strongly recommend Martin Luther's Commentary on Galatians.

Lowell
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I write this, the LDS church is closing its 191st year as an "organized" religion, established on April 6, 1830.

What many modern members of the church do not know is that between years 5 and 91, "Lectures on Faith" was included with the Doctrine and Covenants... and was actually the Doctrine part, with our existing version containing the Covenants portion. In 1921, they were removed from canonical volume of scriptures because the Lectures "were never presented to nor accepted by the Church as
Jaime Buckley
Aug 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this because of it's title...and I was curious about the topic of 'faith'.

Never have I heard this subject explained so openly, honestly and in a clear, concise manner so I could better understand what faith was, how it worked in my life (or could work) and how to build it.

I don't think it matters what religion you are when it comes to reading this book. If you love God, and you seek truth because you love truth for its own sake, you should read this book. It's brilliance and immediate app
Brian
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the clearest and most acurately detailed discussion on faith that has ever been assembled on the subject. It lays forth in clarity what faith is, how to get it and hold onto it, and how to reorient your own compass to discern between good and evil. Better this books tells you the only way in which you can be saved. But it discusses being saved in a literal sense vs. from mystery and the superficial and usual connotations of that word- the emotions of being 'worked up' and false notions a ...more
Megan
This was advanced and hard for me to really follow all the thoughts. But I made it through and did learn some things. I thought it was really advanced and it makes me wonder how some of the early saints who were unlearned grasped any of this! But it is a logical understanding of faith, what it is, what creates it, what it rests upon, and what knowledge and understanding we must have first in order to have faith in God. I felt like I learned about what knowledge I must strengthen to have more fai ...more
Courtney Hatch
It is short but heavy and somehow also extremely clear. I’ve never understood the subject of faith this well before. I totally recommend it.
Weston
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for doctrine. 3 stars for readability. Solid work of theology and a good read for members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or anyone else interested in what faith is.
Kirk
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth." (Mark 9:23).

The above quote summarizes my thoughts on this book. I've always heard of this book, and I was very intrigued when I saw it was free on the Desert Bookshelf app so I started to read it every night. It highlights and discusses faith and what it means to have faith. I've realized that I have a long way to go in order to get where I need to get. But that is the purpose of life, do the little things each day that bui
Shad
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. Here is a synopsis I put together after re-reading it this time:

Lectures on Faith

1. “[F]aith is the assurance which men have of the existence of things which they have not seen, and the principle of action in all intelligent beings.” 1.9
a. Through faith, we receive all temporal and spiritual blessings. 1.13
b. Faith is a power of action and of power. 1.13
2. Faith is in God, and we received knowledge of Him via human testimony passed down from those who saw and heard Him (Adam, b
Greg
Jun 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Original lectures on faith given by the Prophet Joseph Smith in the early days of the LDS church. Wonderful exposition of this core principle of the gospel. Excerpts:

"How do men obtain a knowledge of the glory of God, his perfections and attributes? By devoting themselves to his service, through prayer and supplication incessantly strengthening their faith in him, until, like Enoch, the brother of Jared, and Moses, they obtain a manifestation of God to themselves."

"Let us here observe, that thre
Hector Torres
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As originally prepared and delivered, the lessons were for a class of elders only. However, the lectures were introduced to the membership of the Church in the preface to the 1835 edition of the Doctrine and Covenants.

They would be included in the D&C up to 1921, at which time they were removed because "they are not specific revelations to the Church and were never sustained as such".

Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith said: "I suppose that the rising generation knows little about the Lectures on F
Chris Gee
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished this again. I was assigned to speak on faith in church last weekend. I forgot how many wonderful ideas are in this book. So many of things that are often quoted about faith are in this book.

“But faith is not only a principle of action, but of power also,”

[t]here are 3 things that intelligent beings need to have to exercise faith in God unto salvation:

1: The idea that [God] actually exists
2: A correct idea of His character, perfection, and attributes
3: An actual knowledge that th
Sally
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, non-fiction, own
I took an Institute class on Lectures on Faith and "other documents of scriptural stature." LOVED IT. The other documents included: The King Follett discourse, the Sermon in the Grove, the Origin of Man, Doctrinal Exposition on the Father and the Son, the Wentworth Letter, and the Family Proclamation. All wonderful. The Follett discourse and Sermon in the Grove are both in Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith (TPJS), I believe. Origin of Man is a 1st Presidency statement from ????. Doctrinal Ex ...more
Cindy
Apr 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LDS
This was a difficult read in parts. I enjoyed the book, but the format was not an easy one to follow. The lectures had lots of good, inspiring doctrine in it, but then the questions were just repeating what was already there. The edition that I read including a message by Orson Pratt called, "True Faith," and excerpts from the King Follett address. Those excerpts were the best part, in my opinion. The message by Brother Pratt had some great stuff in there too.
Jake
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
This is a very useful publication in understanding Joseph Smith's development as a self-taught theologian. As it reveals, the popular notion of a hapless illiterate will not do. Also unlikely is that Joseph Smith came away from his first vision with a keen and unbending notion of what the Godhead was.

I appreciate this volume for its showcasing of Joseph Smith's evolving knowledge and understanding. Compare this 1830s publication with his King Follett sermon in 1844.
Angie
Sep 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took me maybe two hours to read and it blew my mind. Lecture 3 had the most profound influence on me.

What is the Character of God?
1. He is the highest being in the universe. There is no one higher.
2. He is all things good (mercy, patience, kindness) and no things bad (anger, disappointment, vengeance)
3. He never changes
4. He CANNOT lie
5. He is no respecter of persons, but his most profound blessings are upon those who follow him.
6. He is LOVE.

Amazing stuff :)
Brandon
Feb 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a lot here about the nature of God that is good to learn and is not to be found in most other sources. This book made me feel better about myself than any Sunday School lesson I've ever heard.
Greg Schell
Sep 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very thought-provoking read as an in-depth discussion of faith. Short enough to be read in one sitting, but with enough depth to require that the reader spend considerable time pondering what's been read. It certainly would have been awesome to be present at the actual lectures!
Tami Harris
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never knew that Lectures on Faith were part of the canonized scriptures and then were removed in 1921. These lectures are beautiful! I believe they should be read and studied just as much as any of the other scriptures, there is so much to learn there.
Travis
Mar 10, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual, religious
I read this book a long time ago (back in '97), but I remember being deeply touched by the King Follett sermon. Joseph Smith was a fascinating man as they come, and his writings and teachings have influenced my life probably more than most any other man.
Dan Poulsen
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read, learned a lot and found some of it redundant. however it was originally meant as a textbook of sorts so hard to criticize the format too much.
Brandon Dean
Parts of this book were really quite good (Lectures First, Sixth and Seventh), and warrant consistent review and study. The other sections were a bit hard to follow.
Jams
There is SO much info here. One read thru is nit going to be enough.
Ryan
Apr 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1, own, lds, 12, audio
Contained are some GREAT principles on faith that I have never understood until I read this book.

Own the audios on cassette too.
Chris Webber
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The nuts and bolts of the mormon faith. And Joseph's approach to faith in general.

It's a short read. Don't call yourself a mormon if you haven't read this book!
Jake
Feb 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Way cool, I never realized how much there was to faith before I read this book. It gives you some insight into how intelligent Joseph Smith was. He really understood and explained things so well.
Andrew Pixton
This was deep and interesting, except for the odd obsession with people's age. I'll start with what I learned and liked then move into the problems. The need for faith makes a lot of sense here, but in a different way than I've been taking it. I've talked about faith as subjectivity, a willful belief in something not yet proven because you want to. Joseph Smith explains it more as a fundamental way of the universe. I exercise faith when I turn on my car, drink water, flip on a light switch, and ...more
Eli
Sep 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So much bad.

It is contradictory. These lectures teach that God has faith, which is absurd, since faith is being convinced of what one does not see, and God sees everything. God is omniscient, as even these lectures affirm!

It describes faith like a magic power. Just have faith and you can do anything. Very wrong.

It quotes a false translation of the Bible.

In discussing salvation it places almost zero emphasis upon Jesus Christ and His saving work, but says that salvation is about the sacrifice WE
Tom
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mainen-yomu
Excerpts:
"It was in offering sacrifices that Abel, the first martyr, obtained knowledge that he was accepted of God. And from the days of righteous Abel to the present time, the knowledge that men have that they are accepted in the sight of God is obtained by sacrifice." p.67
"But those who have not made this sacrifice to God do not know that the course which they pursue is well pleasing in his sight; for whatever may be their belief or their opinion, it is a matter of doubt and uncertainty in th
Tony Mercer
An interesting set of lectures presented to the early Mormon "school of the Elders" in Kirtland, Ohio. They were part of LDS canon for a while but then later removed from the Doctrine and Covenants. The lectures were presented with a lecture at the beginning of each chapter followed by questions and answers provided by the lecturer. The 1st and 2nd lectures form a foundation of LDS understanding of Faith but still have some very novel and new ideas in them. The 3rd - 6th lecture are common LDS t ...more
Kerri
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think a lot of this book went over my head. There were good points made (probably a lot that I take for granted as common knowledge to me), but there seemed to be a lot of circular logic that was frustrating. And Lecture 2 is painful; it makes a really good point, but it is painful to read. I got it, all these great people were alive all together and knew each other. Please stop repeating it and listing all the ages. And PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME REREAD EVERY SINGLE INDIVIDUAL ONE IN THE QUESTIONS ...more
Probably not ET 1 9 May 31, 2011 06:41AM
Aliens? 1 8 May 31, 2011 06:27AM
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Christ and the New Covenant: The Messianic Message of the Book of Mormon
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Discourses of Brigham Young: Second President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints
  • Teach Ye Diligently
  • Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt (Revised and Enhanced)
  • Temple and Cosmos: Beyond This Ignorant Present (The Collected Works of Hugh Nibley, Volume 12)
  • To Draw Closer To God: A Collection Of Discourses
  • The Promised Messiah: The First Coming of Christ
  • Faith Precedes the Miracle
  • Truth Restored
  • A Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Wilford Woodruff
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
  • The History of Joseph Smith by His Mother
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said w ...more
“And if the question is asked, how were they to obtain the knowledge of God? (for there is a great difference between believing in God and knowing him -- knowledge implies more than faith. And notice, that all things that pertain to life and godliness were given through the knowledge of God) the answer is given -- through faith they were to obtain this knowledge; and, having power by faith to obtain the knowledge of God, they could with it obtain all other things which pertain to life and godliness.” 0 likes