Start by marking “The Longest Whale Song” as Want to Read:
The Longest Whale Song

The Longest Whale Song

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  2,247 Ratings  ·  145 Reviews
Another moving and true-to-life story for Jacqueline Wilson fans aged 8+ A tender and gentle story that will captivate readers of 8+ from bestselling author Jacqueline Wilson. Ella's mum's in a deep coma having just had a new baby. That means Ella has to live with Jack, her hopeless stepfather and cope with her tiny newborn brother, as well as worrying about Mum. The only ...more
Published August 4th 2011 by RHUK (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Longest Whale Song, please sign up.
Emme Skye, I found this book really easy.

Skye, I found this book really easy.

Ella's mum's in a deep coma having just had a new baby. That means Ella has to live with Jack, her hopeless stepfather and cope with her tiny newborn brother, as well as worrying about Mum. The only thing that's going right is her school project. It's all about whales and how they sing out to each other to attract a mate? sometimes for hours. Maybe a whale song could reach Mum, wherever she is, and bring her back to Ella and baby Samson. Surely it's worth a try?(less)

Ann Marron
Jul 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a brilliant book. Narrated in the first person by Ella, it is the story of a snapshot of her life and how she struggles to cope when her mum falls ill. Ella is left with her stepdad, Jack, who she does not like and refuses to get on with. The issues of family life and bullying are dealt with in a simple yet very efficient manner by Wilson. The one fault I found is that I felt it ended too abruptly, which results in the reader feeling that the story is unfinished. It would have been nice ...more
Narges Marashi
خب واقعا زمان خودش پنج بود.چون یادمه اینو دخترعموم بهم عیدی داد و فک کنم اول دبیرستان اینطورا بودم..و تودلم میگفتم خب این خیلی کتاب کودکه که!ولی وقتی خوندمش واقعا دوستش داشتم و سادگیش برام دلنشین بود و واقعا فک میکنم توی هر سنی که باشم همیشه از کتاب کودک استقبال خواهم کرد:)))
Elena
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Weird book. It actually talks about whales for a total of not even 2 pages. The rest of the story is something completely different, and the role of the whales in it could have been taken by cats, dogs, dolphins, or any other mammal who has a voice and makes sounds.
If the purpose was to get kids interested in whales I think the book does a very poor job because the whales are absolutely marginal to the story line, which involves a girl whose mom is in the hospital, and so all the emotions tied
Batul
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: نوجوان
بد نبود. داستانش خوب بود و مناسب بچه های اوایل دوره نوجوانی، شاید از 9 تا 13 سال. خصوصا اگه مشکلات خانوادگی مثلا جدایی والدین یا بیماری اونها رو داشته باشن. البته خب شاید از نظر یه بچه تو اون سن حجمش زیاد به نظر بیاد ولی در واقع حجمش کمتره و به خاطر قطعی که افق انتخاب کرده برای کتابهای نوجوانش تعداد صفحه هاش زیاد شده. من سه چهار ساعته خوندمش. و اینکه خیلی برای افق زشته که این همه کتابشون غلط تایپی داره :-/
Brianna
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
My 10 year old self: This is a great book! It's about a normal, young girls life, but when her mother comes down with a sickness, things are everything but normal. Through the journey, friends are lost and made, bullies make everything bad, a baby brother is delivered into the world, after school club takes place, and a whale project is made.
Emme
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing
Lauren Lockyer
Jacqueline Wilson writes books about different things that could happen in a child's life.
Her books are amazing, and what she writes about can happen to any child, so her books are so helpful in this way.
The longest whale song is about a girl named Ella, whose mother is in hospital pregnant, but later falls into a coma.
Ella writes letters to her every week, and visits her in hospital almost every day.
However, since her mum is in hospital, Ella has to live with Jack. Her stepdad, which Ella never
Rachel
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the best books I have read. This book describes the challanges of life and really entertains the reader. Once you start reading this, you can never stop. Throughout the story You'll be like, Whats going to happen next?
Ella
Dec 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am currently reading it and think it is amazing! I love how Jacqueline has set it out, I think its perfect and would reccomend it to anyone!!
Hannah ♡
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-sad
Still remember a chubbier version of myself crying my heart out reading this book.
Eunag
I really like this book and think that it has a very nice storyline to it. It is about a girl named Ella who's mum just had a baby boy but she is now in a coma. Ella has to cope with her step dad Jack and her baby half-brother Samson. She really likes whales and is doing a project about them. Things happen at school like her best friend going of with someone else. In the end the mum finally wakes up and they are all happy again.

My favorite character is Ella because she copes with everything goin
Elaheh
May 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
همهی کتابهایی که تا حالا از جکلین ویلسون خوندم عالی بودن. موضوعاتی که انتخاب میکنه واقعا خوبن و نحوهی پرداختنش داستان رو خیلی بهتر میکنه. اینکه شخصیت اول همهی کتابها دخترهای نوجوان هستند خیلی برام جذابه. یادمه وقتی که خودم نوجوان بودم دوست داشتم کتابی پیدا کنم که قهرمانش شبیه من باشه و هیچ کتابی نبود که حتی قهرمانش همسن من باشه. یا پسر بودن یا بزرگسال بودن. ازینکه الان چنین کتابهایی برای نوجوانها هست خیلی خوشحالم.
کتاب به شدت جذابه. اول شخصه و احساسات یه نوجوون رو خیلی روون بیان میکنه. جا داره از
Rebecca Stonehill
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could do halves, I would give this book 4 and a half stars. The book is about a girl who's mum is having a baby and the labour doesn't work out that well so she has to go to hospital and ends up staying there for ages. The girl keeps sending her letters and once, she sends a letter all about whales and she wrote 'Did you know mum that the longest song ever sung (by a whale) went up to twenty-three hours!

(Review by Maya, age 8, Rebecca's daughter)
Ellie Naiken
Apr 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i cried at the end such a happy ending
Eve
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
As Ella's mum and her stepdad Jack welcome baby Samson into life, it's a bittersweet deal as Ella's mum falls into a coma due to complications.

Ella is heartbroken about her mum and visits her everyday, her real dad comes back for a brief visit but she doesn't feel important to him as he soon disappears off again to his new girlfriend Tina.

At school, her best friend starts to drift away and moody Martha starts a fight with Ella after a lot of nasty talk about Ella's mum. Ella though soon makes fr
Bookworm Distress
Nov 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I read a lot of Jacqueline Wilson's books when I was younger and I loved them all so much.

The Longest Whale Song is such a sad, but sweet story. However, the writing seemed slightly off and it finished too abruptly, in a very honey-sugary/gooey way. The book has beautiful morals and can teach young readers some very important lessons, but I simply didn't enjoy it as much as her other books. It saddens me to give this 3/5 stars.
Myth Liberated
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
به شکل ساده ای درباره مرگ بیماری و امید صحبت کرده
User
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca Bell
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down. Loved the ending!
Jesse Simon
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
For those who have been avoiding Jacqueline Wilson because of the crap she's been churning out the last few years: this one is safe
Rebecca Worts
May 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: couldnt-finish
sorry Jacqueline :( I have never ever not liked one of her books until this one, and I didn't finish it either.. not one of the greatest books I have read from her collection BUT I still love her and always will ❤ ...more
Anya Redding
Mar 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a good book but lots of random events
Shannon
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I wrote a detailed review here. https://littleseabear.com/

Feel free to subscribe using the right sidebar (or footer on mobiles/Tablets)
Lauren Cotter
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this book when I was eight so 5 years ago and I still think about it and it's still on my book shelves. It is one hundred percent one of my favorite books.
Rose Arnold
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-by-myself
This book is AMAZING and saaaaad boo. My favourite bit was when the mum said''no more moany whale songs''
Kira
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favourite Jacqueline Wilson book!!!
Jordan
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
56%
Amir Moeeni
اولین رمانی بود که ازین نویسنده میخوندم.زیاد تعریف ازین کتاب شنیده بودم ولی راستش خیلی خوشم نیومد.برای مخاطب نوجوان زیادی بچهگونهس و مخاطب کودک دیگه باید خیلی باحوصله باشه که بتونه تمومش کنه.شک دارم متن اصلی پایان همینقد خوش و یهویی داشته باشه و فک کنم از همون تحریفای(متأسفانه)روتینی داره که تو ایران مترجما و ناشرا کتابای کودکنوجوانو میکنن. ...more
Holly Manning
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The book was amazing
nazli
an amazing book.
the longest whale story 4 12 Apr 21, 2013 06:18PM
  • Princess Alice and the Glass Slipper (The Tiara Club at Silver Towers, #4)
  • Blitz: The Diary of Edie Benson, London, 1940-1941
  • Ginger Snaps
  • Sweet-talking TJ
  • Sensational Spylet (Jane Blonde, #1)
  • A Million Angels
  • How To Draw Anything
  • Hamstermagic (Animalmagic, #3)
  • Divine Freaks
  • Double Trouble (Zodiac Girls, #6)
  • Set in Stone
  • Clarice Bean, Don't Look Now (Clarice Bean)
  • Drawing with Light
  • The Exiles at Home (The Exiles, #2)
  • The Day of the Dreader (How to Train Your Dragon World Book Day 2012)
  • Shadow
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson