Start by marking “I Must Have Bobo!” as Want to Read:
I Must Have Bobo!

I Must Have Bobo!

(Bobo the Sock Monkey)

When Willy woke up there was trouble. Where was Bobo? Willy needs Bobo. But, Earl the cat likes Bobo, too. A favorite toy is hard to share…even when it’s a sock monkey. With sparse text and a modern-nostalgic vibe, this retro-fun book about friends (sock monkeys) and frenemies (devious cats) is an ode to favorite toys everywhere. Oh, Earl! Leave Bobo alone.
Published January 25th 2011 by Atheneum Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about I Must Have Bobo!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Must Have Bobo!

karen
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
the wonderful tommy tomato gave me this book, and since i rarely review my picture books, i figured now was a good time to start.

this book is so cute!

it is all about a little boy who cannot function without his stuffed monkey, bobo. i can totally relate - if i have to sleep without my bunny, i become very unhappy. i no longer carry him everywhere with me, as i did my entire freshman year of college (job interviews were fun, let me tell you!) earning me the nickname "bunny girl," but i still hav
Elisabeth
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a heavily requested read-aloud at my house this week. Perfect for preschoolers (Warning! included in the book are the following scary things: bitey bugs, big slides, and oatmeal WITH raisins). I want a print of the illustration of the boy, Bobo and Earl on the couch together - too sweet.
Rebecca
May 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Things I like about this book:

1) the jacket flap is told in rebus pictures
2) the text style is simple like an early reader
3) Earl has the best guilty cat face
4) it ends in a group hug
Betsy
Feb 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Picture books in which beloved toys go astray are the heart and soul of the industry. The reasons are infinitely clear. When dealing with a four-year-old reader, you want to present them with a tale that taps into their insecurities and fears without going overboard. Showing them losing their mom or dad would be WAY too serious for the format, and that goes for the family pet as well. Better to keep it low-key. In this way books like Knuffle Bunny (in all three of its various incarnations) remai ...more
Tandie
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is so dang cute. A sock monkey named Bobo vs. the kitty cat. Must buy to appease my sock monkey addiction!
Anthony
Willy wakes one morning, and discovers Bobo, his beloved sock monkey is missing. He looks for him everywhere and finds the Earl the cat has him. Bobo is very important to Willy, he protects him, provides courage, and spends quiet time with him. Bobo is also very important to Earl.
Terri
Nov 28, 2011 rated it liked it
"I Must Have Bobo" deals with the age old dilemma of a child (Earl) losing a beloved belonging - in this case, a sock puppet monkey named "Bobo." Earl soon discovers that his pet (a cat?, Earl, is just as attached to Bobo as he is, and whenever Willy sets Bobo down, Earl runs off with him. Every kid can relate to losing something important to him or her. I still think about the day that my mom sold my wooden doll cradle at a garage sale without asking me - when I was in my twenties! In this sens ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A boy who is psychologically attached to a toy sock monkey finds it missing one day, only to discover that Earl the cat has taken it. The boy takes it back, only to have Earl sneak off with it again. I'm not sure what the message here is supposed to be. The boy seems to have no thought of sharing. In fact, at one point he builds a "fort" and says "Earl can't come in," which isn't very nice. When the boy has the monkey, Earl the cat watches with a sad look on his face, probably thinking "Why can' ...more
Candice
Sep 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Willie has a favorite toy - Bobo the sock monkey. Bobo helps Willie with everything. They go down the slide together. Bobo holds Willie's hand when they walk past the big dog. And, just like Willie, Bobo doesn't like raisins in his oatmeal. Somehow Bobo keeps disappearing. It's that evil cat, Earl! The text is minimal, and the illustrations focus on Willie, Bobo, and that despicable Earl. While these three characters are in color, the rest of the picture is outlined in brown on cream pages. This ...more
Barbara
Jun 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ncbla
Willy does everything with his stuffed monkey, Bobo, but he's not the only one in the house who loves Bobo. His cat, Earl, also loves to cuddle up with Bobo. When Willy wakes up one day and can't find his beloved companion, he seaches everywhere before finding Bobo nestled under the covers with Earl. From there on, the battle is on with Willy trying to keep Bobo to himself, and Earl dragging him off. The simple illustrations capture Willy's determination not to share, and Earl's own persistence ...more
Tatiana
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
A simple yet hilarious short account in the day of a young boy named Willy, his favorite stuffed monkey Bobo, and his naughty cat Earl. The author and illustrator captured the humor of Willy and Earl both fighting for Bobo, both needing Bobo for their own reasons. Willy's upset with Earl is understandable, but you give extra points to Earl for persistently trying to sneak away with Bobo. For ages five and up.
Melody
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
An adorable story of a boy and a cat, both of whom LOVE LOVE LOVE Bobo the stuffed toy. The boy keeps taking Bobo, then the cat sneaks in and steals him back again. It's minimalist and spare, the illustrations are so cute, and the story so amusing. It's not The Salamander Room, it's not Robert McCloskey, but it's nevertheless a keeper.
Melissa
Mar 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
I got surprisingly invested in this battle of wills between Earl and Willy--rooting for Earl all the way. Loved the expressions on the cat, and loved the cat getting the last word. Illustrations of the boy reminded me just a little of Charles Schulz & early Peanuts.
Chelsea Kirkland
Willy fights with his mischievous cat over his beloved stuffed animal bobo the monkey.
Good for silly ways to think about sharing.
unknown
Jan 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to unknown by: Ariel
Shelves: 2014, nina
I MUST HAVE BOBO... read to me at least four times in a row every day. I MUST ALSO remove the dust jacket before reading it, but also insist that it be put back on if it isn't there before we start.
Kat Harrison
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
The husband-wife effort, "I Must Have Bobo!" has all of the makings of a sweet story: a sock monkey, a toddler, a gray cat, and a makeshift fort - but I am not so sure of the story that it wants to be vs. the story that it actually is. Is the message about sharing? Is the message about mischief? The illustration style is nice and nostalgic, I just wish the text truly came full circle in the end.
Mommooshka
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this picture book! It builds emotions, and anyone who likes cats will understand Earl, the cat in the story. My 2 year old granddaughter loves being read this book, and she repeats some of the lines and mannerisms of the boy in the book.

If your library offers TumbleBooks for kids, be sure to watch the narrated eBook of this story. Great fun for kids and adults!
Brooke
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comps-pb
Sharing your favorite stuffie! Impossible! But for Bobo and Willy they must find a way beyond stealing the toy back and forth. Sweet and relatable.
Nadine Poper
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kids will enjoy how Earl steals Bobo from the boy. Many children will also relate to needing a specific stuffy with them at all times. A good amount of kid appeal here but lacking humor which I expected.
Tiffany Fox
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Title: I Must Have Bobo
Author: Eileen Rosenthal
Illustrator: Marc Rosenthal
Publisher/Date: Atheneum Books for Young Readers/ 1/25/2011
Pages/Format: 40/ Hardcover
ISBN: 9781442403772

When Willy woke up there was trouble. Where was Bobo? Willy needs Bobo. But, Earl the cat likes Bobo, too. A favorite toy is hard to share, even when it's a sock monkey. With sparse text and a modern-nostalgic vibe, this retro-fun book about friends (sock monkeys) and frenemies (devious cats) is an ode to favorite toys
Dolly
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: pets, 2013, childrens
When I saw the title of this book, I just knew we had to borrow it from our local library. The title is short, with such an urgent, almost desperate appeal to it - I just knew that our girls would walk around the house all the next day shouting, "I Must Have Bobo!"

As I read the book aloud with our girls I felt like I needed to channel my inner King Julien III from the movie Madagascar. There's no way that I can imitate the voice, but he has that same demanding, almost whiny kind of plea to his
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Minimalist and retro are the words that come to mind with the illustations particularly and this book in general. Author Eileen Rosenthal's husband Marc Rosenthal is the illustrator and his digitally colored pencil drawings contain the bare minimum to get the story across. The majority of almost every page consists of the cream background color with just the characters (Willy, Bobo the sock monkey stuffed animal, and Earl the cat) drawn in and colored along with a few supporting details on each ...more
Erin Prosser
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gregory Walters
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Linus had his blanket, but most of us clung to a stuffed animal during our younger years. Mine was a well-chewed grey dog named Woofie that disappeared for years, only to turn up at the bottom of our deep freezer in the basement. I still blame my sister.

In I Must Have Bobo!, Willy's morning gets off to a rocky start when he discovers that his beloved socky monkey has vanished. Billy is distraught. How can he cope with all the uncertainties in life without Bobo?!

The story is a delightful battle
Mark
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
What was your childhood most favorite toy?
Mine were a cheap, locally-produced, plastic jumbo jet with Garuda Indonesia logo sticker on its tail, and a made from metal and plastic Taiwan-produced toy bus. By combining those two with other toys, I've played countless times which scenario mostly was plane hijacking by a terrorist group. Sometimes, if I could borrow fire-spitting giant lizard that is Godzilla from a neighbor kid, I could add a different twist to the plot.
Now the kid in this lovable
Ariel
Sep 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
This is the first in Eileen Rosenthal's wonderful "Bobo" series about a little boy, his beloved sock monkey Bobo, and his playful nemesis, Earl the cat, who is forever stealing Bobo--and of course, Earl steals the show even more often. His wonderfully expressive ears tilt at radical angles to express his annoyance and frustration when the boy ignores him for Bobo's sake or gets Bobo back. We wind up cheering for Earl every time he succeeds in dragging Bobo off in his mouth.

This is such a great b
David
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
I Must Have Bobo! by Eileen Rosenthal, illustrated by Marc Rosenthal is a book about the dreaded times when toys go missing. In this case the missing toy is a sock monkey named Bobo who is beloved by both a boy, Willy, and a cat named Earl. Willy needs Bobo to be there as a security blanket when he faces a steep slide or a scary dog. Waking up with Bobo gone is just wrong.

When Willy wakes up to find Bobo gone, he searches until he discovers that Earl has dragged him off. An epic battle of wills
Lisa
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I selected this book because of the sock-monkey. Well, maybe BoBo isn't a sock monkey, but that's what my first thought was when I saw him. The sparse text of this story is perfect for the meaningful illustrations. Bold colors and strong lines clearly evoke plenty of ideas here. A boy who loves is cuddly monkey wakes to find BoBo is missing. He begins looking for BoBo and find the cat has taken BoBo. apparently the cat loves BoBo too. I found the emotional quality of this book to be similar to K ...more
Leeland Parten
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I like because it is silly!
Nielson
Nov 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Did you ever have a favorite something whether it was a stuffed animal, blanket, or toy that you just couldn't live without? In this case, it is Bobo. Little boy Willy does absolutely everything with his stuffed monkey, Bobo. But when he wakes up one morning to find that Bobo is missing, there is trouble! Laugh along as Willy searches for Bobo while we find out that Earl, the cat, is just as fond of Bobo.
This is a very simple book with simple text and pictures. I'm not a huge fan of the retro,
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Pet for Petunia
  • Cat Secrets
  • Hooray for Amanda & Her Alligator!
  • Square Cat
  • Tell Me the Day Backwards
  • A Place to Call Home
  • Little White Rabbit
  • Say Hello to Zorro!
  • Spring Is Here
  • Along a Long Road
  • I Don't Want to Be a Pea! (Hugo and Bella, #1)
  • Blue Chameleon
  • Argus
  • Mine!
  • Henry in Love
  • There Are No Cats in This Book
  • The Boss Baby
  • Tia Isa Wants a Car

Bobo the Sock Monkey (3 books)
  • I'll Save You Bobo!