Start by marking “Black Founders: The Unknown Story of Australia's First Black Settlers” as Want to Read:
Black Founders: The Unknown Story of Australia's First Black Settlers

Black Founders: The Unknown Story of Australia's First Black Settlers

In this compelling new book, distinguished historian and writer Cassandra Pybus reveals that black convicts were among our first fleet settlers—a fact which profoundly complicates our understanding of race relations in early colonial Australia. Most of these black founders were originally slaves from America who had sought freedom with the British during the American Revol ...more
Published April 1st 2006 by University of New South Wales Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Founders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Founders

Start your review of Black Founders: The Unknown Story of Australia's First Black Settlers
Jennifer (JC-S)
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jennifer (JC-S) by: fionnabhair@bigpond.com
Shelves: librarybooks
‘Australia’s first bushranger was as black as pitch. He was not Aboriginal, as some might suppose.’

In 1788, when the First Fleet arrived in Australia, eleven of the convicts were black. A twelfth man, William Blue, was transported a few years later. Who were these men? And how did they come to be transported to Australia from Britain when each of them was living in America during the American War of Independence?

It seems likely that these were all African-American men who fought for the British
Barbara Phi
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another example of excellent research, clear writing and a passion for truth telling. I was aware of the presence of black people other than the native population especially in Tasmania. This book casts light on the multi-cultural origins of Australia. And it's focus is on transportation and its aftermath.
I had always been aware of the presence of black settlers, my own great grandfather was called, Black Billy the Samoan in Hobart in the mid 1800's. But he was not transported, many others were
Paul Stanley
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
mine is different as i am a direct 6th generation of the man called John Randall great reading in my view
Michaela
May 26, 2019
Tanja
Jun 30, 2019

• The Paris Secret
  • Phosphorescence: On Awe, Wonder and Things That Sustain You When the World Goes Dark
  • Under My Skin: Volume One of My Autobiography, to 1949
  • Walking in the Shade: Volume Two of My Autobiography--1949-1962
  • Bring Up the Bodies
Cassandra Pybus is ARC Professorial Fellow in the School of History and Classics at the University of Tasmania. She is the author of many books including Community of Thieves and The Devil and James McAuley, winner of the 2000 Adelaide Festival Award for non-fiction.