Start by marking “L'ombra di Ender” as Want to Read:
L'ombra di Ender

L'ombra di Ender (The Shadow Series #1)

4.3  ·  Rating details ·  129,764 Ratings  ·  4,694 Reviews
Ora, con L’ombra di Ender, egli ritorna su quella storia da un diverso punto di vista, esaminando la vita di Bean, lo stratega ancor più giovane (e incredibilmente anche più brillante) del già giovane Ender che quando raggiunge la Scuola Spaziale orbitante, scopre come vanno le cose nel mondo che lo circonda, e arriva a capire i propositi della Scuola molto prima dei suoi ...more
Published January 1st 2002 by Nord (first published October 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about L'ombra di Ender, please sign up.

Heidi Nope. I read Ender's Game and went right to this one. I actually liked being able to see the same story from another perspective, see what the others…moreNope. I read Ender's Game and went right to this one. I actually liked being able to see the same story from another perspective, see what the others were doing while Ender was losing his mind at command school. (less)
Teriya Ki This book is Ender's Game from Bean's perspective.

This book is Ender's Game from Bean's perspective.

As much as I loved EG, I hate to say that the following stories were no where near as exciting. That doesn't mean they're bad, but they're... decent... I guess... Except for Ender in Exile. Ender in Exile is one of the few books with the unenviable distinction of being "Top 5 (or Bottom 5?) WORST BOOKS I'VE EVER READ!!!"

In fact, I'm not sure if there are any other titles in this top 5 list.

Ender's Shadow is almost as good as Ender's Game, which is saying a lot. The series of Ender's Shadow is very entertaining, more so than the EG series.

(less)

Stephen
Photobucket

4.0 to 4.5 stars. Okay, now don't turn away thinking that this book is just a "re-telling" of the story of Ender's Game from the perspective of the character of Bean. Not at all. This is not simply OSC cashing in on the success of the Ender Series. This is a completely different novel and there is little to no overlap in the actual events of Ender's Game. It simply takes place at the same time as those events.

The purpose of this story is two fold. First, we get to really know Bean who turns ou
J.L.   Sutton
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not sure if this was my third or fourth read of Ender's Shadow. Couldn't believe I had never reviewed it (or some of the other Ender books I reread this year). So I really enjoyed this book, which is a parallel novel of Ender's Game. And if you're wondering, I would be on Team Bean. I prefer the Ender sequels, but Bean's story of Battleschool and the war with the Formics is more compelling than Ender's version (in my opinion). That said, Ender's Shadow, Ender's Game (and the Ender's Game Series) ...more
seak
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010, audio, top-10-scifi
Very impressed with how good this was. I count myself in the party that there shouldn't have been anything past Ender's Game (like The Matrix and most any sequels Hollywood makes nowadays), but I have to admit this was great.

As a parallel novel to Orson Scott Card's classic Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow follows Bean, the kid Ender treats like the teachers treated him.

While hesitant to pick this up, I had heard that the Shadow series is better than the original quartet, but I couldn't get away fro
Nicholas Karpuk
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strategy Nerds, Nerds, Risk Enthusiasts (Nerds), Angry Dwarves, and Sci Fi Enthusiasts
When I read a description of a book summing it up as a retelling of a story from a different perspective, I groan internally and my interest wanes slightly.

Ender's Shadow follows those exact lines. We switch from Ender's perspective to Bean's, the brilliant dwarf child who serves under his command.

What shocked me the most was how much more I preferred Bean's perspective. Ender grew up with a loving family and had a generally conventional outlook for a genius. Bean functions as a direct contradic
Kat Kennedy
I personally found that I enjoyed Ender's Shadow more than Ender's Game.

Perhaps because I found Bean, as a character, more relatable in how he analyzes and views people and the world in general. He also felt more real as a character in that he is awkward and clueless and greatly flawed.

The pacing for this book is a little less smooth in comparison to Ender's Game. The plot, on the other hand, is a little better as you have a greater insight into the background workings of Ender's success. Graff
R.K. Gold
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
While Ender's Game taught me that reading is fun, Ender's shadow is my favorite book (and series) in the Ender Universe. Ender may be the hero the universe needed but Bean is the most powerful weapon the universe had. The down and dirty story of an orphan child who had to learn to survive on his own at the age of four and looked on the world in contempt is just the hero I needed to re-introduce myself to Card's work.
I read this book back when I worked at Barnes and Noble and would sneak reads be
Seth
Aug 30, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is the simplified version of Ender's Game for the kiddie set that can't handle rich characters with moral ambiguity, moral introspection, and character growth.

Card does great work teaching people how to re-imagine stories from different viewpoints and with different motivations in his workshops. It's a shame that he didn't demonstrate it here.

Instead, we get Bean (a great character in the original story) as a classic Mary Sue, a wish-fulfillment character with all of Ender's skill but none
Jacob
March 2010
Previously: Ender's Game

Ender Wiggin, hero of Earth, did not defeat the Buggers Formics single-handedly. He had help. Soldiers, followers, people in the background, unimportant characters whose own stories didn't really need to be told, you know where I'm going with this, etc. etc. One of these soldiers, Bean, was smaller than Ender, younger than Ender, infinitely smarter than Ender...

...and not nearly as interesting.

But that didn’t stop Orson Scott Card, so here we go: Bean, an orphan
Maria
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
...dacă nu ar fi coperta asta care pe mine mă îngrozește, aș spune ca e perfectă.

Publicată la treisprezece ani după Jocul lui Ender , Umbra lui Ender urmărește evoluția lui Bean, unul dintre personajele inițial secundare ale aventurii lui Ender. Orfan, mult prea firav pentru vârsta sa și fără să-și cunoască prea mult trecutul, Bean reușește să supraviețuiască în iadul străzilor din Rotterdam datorită inteligenței sale. Abilitățile lui neobișnuite atrag atenția sorei Carlotta care îl recomandă F
Chris
This book made me wish I could forget that I had ever read Ender’s Game.

Not because it was necessarily a better book – though it is longer – but because the two books offer different views of the same events from two distinctly different perspectives.

Ender Wiggin is brilliant and empathetic, a boy torn apart by his own doubts and fears and driven to greatness by a government that sees him simply as a means to an end. It is only his ability to understand and come to love those around him that ge
Around the Year i...: Ender's Shadow, by Orson Scott Card 5 28 Jan 02, 2017 10:57AM
Book review 1 8 Oct 21, 2016 11:13PM
  • Ender's Shadow: Command School
  • The Warrior's Apprentice (Vorkosigan Saga, #2)
  • The Naked Sun (Robot #2)
  • The Short Victorious War (Honor Harrington, #3)
  • Horizon Storms (The Saga of Seven Suns, #3)
  • Dragon and Slave (Dragonback, #3)
  • WWW: Watch (WWW, #2)
  • The Faded Sun Trilogy (The Faded Sun #1-3)
  • The Battle of Corrin (Legends of Dune, #3)
  • Valiant (The Lost Fleet, #4)
  • Orson Scott Card's Intergalactic Medicine Show: An Anthology
  • A Deepness in the Sky (Zones of Thought, #2)
  • Rogue Squadron (Star Wars: X-Wing, #1)
  • The Rise of Endymion (Hyperion Cantos, #4)
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...

The Shadow Series (6 books)
  • Shadow of the Hegemon (The Shadow Series, #2)
  • Shadow Puppets (The Shadow Series, #3)
  • Shadow of the Giant (Ender's Shadow, #4)
  • Shadows in Flight (Ender's Shadow, #5)
  • Shadows Alive (Ender's Shadow, #6)
“In my view, suicide is not really a wish for life to end.'
What is it then?'
It is the only way a powerless person can find to make everybody else look away from his shame. The wish is not to die, but to hide.”
253 likes
“And then he thought: Is this how idiots rationalize their stupidity to themselves?” 91 likes