Start by marking “Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars” as Want to Read:
Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars

Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars (Mr. Putter & Tabby #16)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  348 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
After Mr. Putter eats exactly twenty-one of Mrs. Teaberry's delicious pineapple jelly rolls, he ends up with a grumbling tummy--and a bad case of insomnia! A midnight stargazing stroll with Tabby seems to be just the cure. But could it be that Mr. Putter and Tabby aren't the only ones still wide awake?

Take a wondrous nighttime stroll with good friends in th
Published August 1st 2007 by Harcourt Children's Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Putter & Tabby See the Stars

Rfrancik
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
A gentle everyday story about Mr. Putter and his cat who go for a midnight stroll when Mr. Putter who has over indulged wakes up with a tummy ache.

The illustrations are key to this story as Tabby expresses many different emotions on his cute kitten face. Broken into three chapters the language is just right for emerging readers and the text is used sparingly so even the most halting reader can get through the story in a timely manner.

Good for both boys or girls 1-2nd grade this book is part of
Ann
I adore the Mr. Putter and Tabby books! This is the third I've read, and the third I've thought was stellar! :) (the other two were "Clear the Decks" and "Write the Book"). This is a great read aloud, and a great beginner reader book, too.

In this story, Mr. Putter and Tabby visit Mrs. Teaberry and her dog Zeke (Mrs. Teaberry always invites Mr. Putter and Tabby for something to eat - and Mr. Putter and Tabby always go). But, this time, Mr. Putter looses track and ends up eating 21 jelly rolls! So
The Reading Countess
Jun 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
I love Cynthia Rylant. The woman can do no wrong. So please tell me how I could have NEVER read a Mr. Putter book to my first and second sons? My youngest son and I delighted in this one tonight, and are looking forward to reading two more books about the charming friendship between the slightly nutty Mr. Putter and his wacky neighbor. They, along with their pets form a sort of odd family that feels warm and inclusive. Youngest son especially liked the "chapter book" feel.
Jen
Aug 11, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: frustrated lovers
Shelves: children-s
Mrs. Teaberry likes to feed Mr. Putter. They get along. They visit. Their pets get along. Sometimes they aren't even able to sleep on the same nights and they restlessly wander around until they kind of accidentally but maybe on purpose bump into one another. Then they talk until dawn. And this kind of behavior sets me to scheming. This scheme might involve some cool moves on Mr. Putter's part, but hey, anything is possible. I think Mrs. Teaberry would consider it, maybe that's why she's been fe ...more
Dolly
Dec 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2010
This is a sweet story in the Mr. Putter & Tabby series. I like that there isn't an exciting, suspenseful plot in these stories; they are often just snapshots of a senior citizen's life, doing the everyday things that he does. We've really enjoyed these books and will be looking for the few that we've missed at our local library.
Amy
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Amy by: Katrina
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I thought that Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane was a bit more touching than Mr. Putter and Tabby See the Stars, but this one was sweet, too. I certainly identified with Mr. Putter's regret over over-indulging on jelly rolls, and the kids laughed their heads off at Mr. Putter and Zeke's grumbly guts (note to the adult reader: replace the common, "RUMBLE," with some of those really embarrassing, more realistic sounds upset bellies tend to make when one is in a large, quiet group. Kids will appr ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, bedtime, 2016, 2017
Mr Putter and his cat love to sleep and can sleep anywhere they are. Except one night Mr Putter can't sleep due to his stomach growling so he and Tabby go outside and walk the neighborhood and enjoy the night sky along with the stars. They then see their best friends and neighbor Mrs Teaberry and her dog Zeke. Mr Putter loves to sleep but he also loves to be invited over to eat Mrs. Teaberry's meals and sweets. He and Zeke had ate a bit to much and both of their stomachs were growling so they al ...more
Chantelle
May 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son and I both thoroughly enjoyed every book in this series (through #18; the rest weren't published / available at our library yet). Mrs. Rylant's sentence structure is simple enough for beginning readers to enjoy but don't let that fool you! Each book contains an engaging plot, clever & silly humor, and underlying themes of friendship, thoughtfulness, and responsibility. We spent many hours laughing together at the (mis)adventures of Mr. Putter, Tabby, and their friends. We were excited ...more
Shannon
#16 in the Series

03/16: No clue when we first read this one. Lost my Shelfari review. We are HUGE "Mr. Putter & Tabby" fans, having read every book in the series back in the day.

Amazon Book Description:
When Mr. Putter eats twenty-one pineapple jelly rolls, he ends up with a grumbling tummy. Worse, he can’t sleep! A midnight stargazing stroll with Tabby seems to be just the cure—but could it be that Mr. Putter and Tabby aren't the only ones still wide awake?
Kristine Hansen
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chapter-book
What do you do when your stomach is grumbly and you can't sleep? A nighttime walk in the neighborhood is the perfect answer. Again, these books aren't just for kids. I delighted in the quietness and intimacy of this story and came away feeling soothed in my soul, and ready for my own nighttime walk.
Trace
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
We love the Mr. Putter books where Mrs. Teaberry makes an appearance. Its so comforting to know that Mr. Putter and Tabby have a Mrs. Teaberry and Zeke to look out for them....

This book will leave you with a tender-hearted feeling inside....

And Luke thinks that Mr. Putter reminds him of his beloved Poppa... :)

Again, we both agree on a 5 star rating for this title...
Christy
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: easy-reader
When Mr. Putter eats twenty-one pineapple jelly rolls, he ends up with a grumbling tummy. Worse, he can't sleep A midnight stargazing stroll with Tabby seems to be just the cure--but could it be that Mr. Putter and Tabby aren't the "only" ones still wide awake?
Melinda Garman
Mar 27, 2012 rated it liked it
One night Mr. Putter and Tabby could not sleep so they go for a walk. The moon was full, they see the stars, the big dipper, and the Milky Way 'full of milk'. This would be a fun way to begin a discussion about our solar system to Pre-K through 1st grade.
Garren
Sep 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Charming little easy reader in a series about an old man and his cat. There's some lovely old people romance and a lot about enjoying the simple things in life. Books don't have to be about kids to be for kids.
Jill
Nov 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I think Mr. Putter and his cat, Tabby, are adorable characters and I bet I'd like this series. The plot is not super sophisticated, there's nothing really surprising about anything in it, but the illustrations and story are cute. It's simple. And sometimes that's just what you need in a book.
Jessica
Jan 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
These really are my favorite kids' chapter books. The characters are quite lovable, & my kids enjoy the time we spend reading them together. This one isn't one of my absolute favorites, but it's still cute and shows the friendship with the neighbor.
Karen
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Mr. Putter & Tabby is a delightful series. In this book, Mr. Putter ate too many jelly rolls, and couldn't sleep. So he solved his problem wonderfully.
Bree
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Notes:
Less funny than the older stories
Not the kids favorite but still an occasional re-read
Celia Juliano
Dec 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another fun Mr. Putter and Tabby book. Grumbling stomachs lead to a quiet neighborhood adventure for Mr. Putter and his cat, Tabby.
Deanna
Dec 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
I didn't like their adventure in this book. Mr. Putter ate to much food and so he couldn't sleep so he took a walk. Then in the morning he ate a bunch of food again...
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
It's funny. J.
Alice
May 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Mr Putter had too much to eat and he can't sleep because his tummy hurts so he and Tabby go for a walk and look at the stars. Once his stomach stops hurts they both go to bed and sleep like a log.
Heather
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A cautionary tale about the dangers of over eating! My daughter and I really like the Mr. Putter series. My daughter really likes the expressions on Tabby's face throughout the book.
Jared
Feb 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s, fiction, 2014
Not long on plot, but long on heart.

Mr. Putter eats too many jelly rolls, so he and his cat Tabby go for a walk in the starlight. While out, they see some friends.
PWRL
  • Owen & Mzee: Language Of Friendship
  • Don't Worry Bear
  • Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa: Partners
  • Nate the Great and the Missing Key
  • Fly Guy vs. the Flyswatter! (Fly Guy, #10)
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • The Incredible Life of Balto
  • Ling & Ting: Twice as Silly
  • Palazzo Inverso
  • The Horse in Harry's Room
  • Spring Story
An author of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry for children and young adults as well as an author and author/illustrator of picture books for children, Cynthia Rylant is recognized as a gifted writer who has contributed memorably to several genres of juvenile literature. A prolific author who often bases her works on her own background, especially on her childhood in the West Virginia mountains, she ...more
More about Cynthia Rylant...

Mr. Putter & Tabby (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea