Start by marking “Home: What It Means and Why It Matters (AARP®)” as Want to Read:
Home: What It Means and Why It Matters (AARP®)

Home: What It Means and Why It Matters (AARP®)

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  17 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Where do you live? The answer to this seemingly simple question can be more complicated than you'd think.
Drawing on personal experience, Mary Gordon examines various forms of abode-from her childhood house in Far Rockaway to apartments in Palo Alto, Rome, and the Upper West Side-as well as the very concept of “home” and how it has evolved over time. Rich in insightful obse
Published April 5th 2011 by Sterling

To ask other readers questions about Home, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home

Francine
Aug 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a tiny little book, 3 chapters and fewer than 100 pages.

I enjoyed it because it is well written and researched as well (with Endnotes). The book reminds me of an assignment given by a former colleague...she wanted international students to convey the idea of home in a classroom paper. We scoured college catalogs for a few books back then...this one would have been wonderful, alas the assignment was long before this 2010 publication.

Also like it because the author conveys the importance o
Bert
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I actually picked this up in an airport when I was feeling a little homesick and missed my cat. Home is a pretty big deal for me because the real world is awful and frightening, so i thought this would be kind of the book equivalent of the theme tune from Cheers. It is a meditative, personal look at the meaning and evolution of the home, all quite pleasant and sometimes really interesting if a little sexless and pretentious and overly reliant on tasteful quotes. Though obviously I am beyond over ...more
Sian Lile-Pastore
Sep 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-interiors
This is an interesting (though quite slight) look at what home means to you. It's mainly the author's ideas of what home means to her, but she also nicely links her ideas to those of Bachelard and Auden, and there are lots of nice quotes.

We picked this up at an airport on our way home, and it does make you feel pretty cosy.
Kelly Griffin
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I have been thinking a lot about home lately; what it is and why it matters. If you're wondering about those things too, don't read this book. It won't help.

I found it rambling (although I'm sure someone somewhere has described it as a 'meditation'), and ultimately unsatisfying.
Danny
OK, so it was a little dense and boring and I didn't read ALL of it event though it was under 100 pages. But there were some interesting parts about privacy and the evolution of our concept of home.

And so there you go.
Julie Anderson
Interesting perspective on home and how it has changed through the years.
Lori
Jul 28, 2015
Christina
Dec 07, 2011
Elizabeth Connery
rated it did not like it
Aug 18, 2013
Jonathan Whitmore
Jun 19, 2013
Catherine
Jun 20, 2013
Mary Gordon was born in Far Rockaway, New York, to Anna Gagliano Gordon, an Italian-Irish Catholic mother, and David Gordon, a Jewish father who converted to Catholicism. While growing up, she attended Holy Name of Mary School in Valley Stream and for high school attended The Mary Louis Academy in Jamaica, N.Y.. She is Catholic.

She received her A.B. from Barnard College in 1971, and her M.A. from
More about Mary Gordon...