Start by marking “The Great Collapse (Survivors of the Pulse, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Great Collapse (Survivors of the Pulse, #1)

The Great Collapse

(Survivors of the Pulse #1)

While scientists prepare for a massive solar flare heading towards the earth, a hostile foreign government steals a top-secret, experimental weapon. When they use the EMP weapon to attack America however, the result is the immediate and catastrophic loss of modern technology all over the planet. The president calls upon Dr. James White to lead a group of scientists and the ...more
Published November 9th 2010 by Tate Publishing & Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about The Great Collapse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Collapse

Anne
Apr 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Oh dear. There were a lot of problems with this.

The first problem was on me. I didn't realize at first that I was reading what seems to be a piece of Christian fiction coming from a standpoint that I really don't care for. Once I figured that out, I could forgive the attitudes on Christianity and read for content.

The book is very repetitive. The wide-spread problems that would be caused by the event the book revolves around are repeated by every character. In detail. Over and over.

Other random
Jeff Horton
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Imagine waking up one morning to find that all of the modern technology we depend upon is gone. How would we survive?
Rick F.
Jan 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A complex, exciting and brilliant techno-thriller, which Author Jeff Horton has somehow managed to infuse human drama into as well- this is a must read for those who savor novels with an utterly unique plot and characters. VERY highly recommended
Rick Friedman
Founder
THE JAMES MASON COMMUNITY BOOKCLUB
Jeannie Mancini
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
New author Jeff Horton debuts his first novel The Great Collapse with an eye-opening experience that should jump-start your heartbeat only to be reawakened with a new outlook on what the world could be in for if the path of technological invention does not slow down. Horton's innovative story presents earth in the very near future, when a military experiment gone wrong causes the entire planet to be wiped out of electronic technology all in a split second.

The US Military was working on an advan
Sandra "Jeanz"
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it

Its difficult to describe this book without delving too deeply in the story and giving away key details, so I will try to stay generalised in this review and not actually name so many names in incidents I mention.
Initially I thought this was going to be a tad slow for me and perhaps a little too political, but upon getting further into the book you realise the beginning politics explanations are setting the scene for what happens next, why it happens and how people respond to it.
The beginning is
Steven
Dec 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jeff-horton
This was an extremely interesting title and kept me reading till the end. I think what takes a while reading this one is how the mind can wonder and make the reader think about what they would do if everything electrical and battery operated was suddenly taken away and couldn't be restored. Jeff Horton did a great job at throwing me into a desperate situation with characters I cared about and could relate to.
David Horton
Dec 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. It is surprisingly possible, and very realistic. There are many plot twists throughout. It has a good storyline and is a fiction book from a christian perspective. It is a interesting book and I recommend it for anyone.
Cheryl
Feb 01, 2011 marked it as interesting-possibilities
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads
techno-thriller from a Christian perspective, interesting description
Edith
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Can't wait for the next one to find out what happens next. Very good for his first book.
Maxine Bringenberg
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A page turner with remarkably insightful plotlines! Will definitely make you stop and think!!!
Wendy
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, dysopian
Although "The Great Collapse " started off a bit slow, as the plot thickened and the challenges for the survivors of the EMP and solar flare catastrophe increased I became riveted. Jeff Horton creates multi-dimensional characters like the enigmatic Colonel Conrad Simmons, a highly trained Ranger who's given the responsibility of establishing a civilized colony amid all the chaos. An orphan, a loner who's rugged and resolute in all his endeavours, Conrad shows a wealth of compassion for the stran ...more
Rachel Ariel
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young Adults/ Adults
It was an interesting book, based upon Christian values, that I think most people should also read in case we do lose power for an amount of time. It gives vivid examples of how you could survive without any modern day technology.
Marchel
Feb 03, 2011 marked it as to-read
Oh wow, I won it. Unbelievable. Thanks to the author !!!
Matias Hanisch
"The Great Collapse" is the first of the two books in the "Surviors of the Pulse" series. The book revolves around the collapse of modern civilization. This is definetly one of the best apocalyptic ficiton books out there. The story flows well and the laguage is good. There is also an underlying Christian tone that does not overshadow the story. This makes the book a pleasant and friendly read, as there is little violence, etc. Personally I found the book very exciting and it leaves you with a g ...more
Jeff Carpenter
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Well this book has an interesting storyline, I think it could have been more fully developed. The novel also could have benefitted from some much needed editing, however I found it enjoyable and the story moved along briskly even though it was somewhat of a slow start. I didn't realize this was part of a series but I would gladly read book 2 to find out how the author ties everything up.
Zuany
Mar 08, 2011 rated it it was ok
The dialogues weren't convincing; they seemed too constructed and not at all like someone really talks. Besides that, some actions were a lil' unreal.

The idea of the book was a good one, but I don't think it was well developed.
Sarena
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting EMP story line, but many of the subplots are thin and are barely resolved (nor developed). I guess if it were really great I'd be interested in reading more since it is a series of book, zzzz
Kevin
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not that good. Author should have done some work before writing.
Brenda
Jan 19, 2016
George Lasher
Aug 09, 2011
Kace
rated it did not like it
Apr 19, 2013
Andi
May 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Third
  • Time's Edge (Time's Edge, #1)
  • A Land of Ash
  • The Zona
  • Half Past Midnight
  • A Beacon of Hope (The Sixth World of Men, #1)
  • Selection Event
  • Deep Winter
  • Joshua
  • Apocalypse Law (Volume 1)
  • Lights Out
  • The End
  • Last Light (Last Light, #1)
  • One
  • Sudden Independents (Independents #1)
  • Kingdom (Tiber City, #1)
  • Some Will Not Die
  • Summer of the Apocalypse
Jeff W. Horton was an Information technology professional for twenty-five years before deciding to pursue his lifelong dream of being a writer. Since becoming an author and screenwriter of family-friendly fiction, Jeff has written two screenplays and eight published novels in several genres including apocalyptic-fiction, science-fiction, religious fantasy, and romance thrillers.

His current list o

Survivors of the Pulse (2 books)
  • The Dark Age (Survivors of the Pulse, #2)
“Catastrophe and exuberance are often partners in the dance of irony.” 1 likes