Start by marking “The Escape Artist” as Want to Read:
The Escape Artist

The Escape Artist

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  5,030 Ratings  ·  401 Reviews
Escape Artist
Published by Diane Chamberlain Books, Inc. (first published March 1st 1997)

Aoibhínn
I gave this book 3.5 stars. I'm a fan of Diane Chamberlain and I enjoyed this novel but its not one of my favourites. I found the book to be a bit too far-fetched and unrealistic at times. I don't see how the events in this book could ever happen in real life.

(view spoiler)
I read novels
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bought my own copy of this paperback.
Superb. The best book by Diane Chamberlain the I have ever read. I couldn't put it down.
Susanna found out that she was pregnant and went home to tell her husband, and found her husband in their bed with another woman. Once Susanna's baby was born Jim her ex husband and Peggy fight for custody of baby Tyler. Susanna gets access to Tyler who fails to take him home back to Jim. Susanna goes on the run with Tyler.
I loved reading about the adventure that Susann
Britany
Jul 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh- this book was so cliche I can't even compose a review!! Broken woman with baby boy catches her husband cheating on her, and is rescued by her best friend, Linc. Broken woman's husband and mistress get together and sue for custody of baby boy. Broken woman flees town and attempts to begin a new life across the country. We all know how this will turn out right...?

There were a couple of parts that were thrown in for good measure and to add a couple of "surprise" plot points- but overall, I ju
Sharon
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susanna loses custody of her eleven month old son Tyler to her ex-husband Jim and and his wife Peggy. The thought of only being able to see her son once a week is heartbreaking and more than Susanna can bare. Susanna decides to runway with her son and she tells no one of her plans not evens her life long friend Linc. And in making sure they can't be found Susanna cuts and dyes her hair and has their names changed.
They end up living in a rented apartment in Annapolis where Susanna eventually find
Carol
3.5 Stars When in need of a chick-lit + fix, I know I can always turn to Diane Chamberlain and come away satisfied and The Escape Artist was no exception. In this older (1997) DC novel, a young mother will do whatever it takes to retain custody of her baby boy no matter what until she stumbles upon an explosive secret with deadly repercussions.

While a bit far-fetched and predictable at times, still a fast, easy and enjoyable read.

As one of my favorite authors of women's fiction, 5 Star DC reads

Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: four-star
Another fine example of why I'm so pleased Diane Chamberlain's publishers decided to re release her books from the nineties onto Kindle format. As with so many of her other books, this was a very enjoyable easy read focusing on the complexities of family relationships; in this case being the struggle of custody issues and co-parenting.

Susanna is devastated when a family judge awards custody to her ex husband and his mistress turned wife based on their financial status. Although this may be hard
Connie
Aug 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Another solid Chamberlain, though not my favorite. 3 stars. Review to come

Chamberlain is a writer you can depend on to tell a story that usually surround a controversial issue. In The Escape Artist she deals with child custody. Thus the story begins with Susanna losing custody of her son to the ex and his mistress/now new wife. When she decides to run away with him the story develops.

I had some issues with many of the characters....Susanna herself really was a little unstable, bad upbringing,
Melodie
Jun 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women-s-fiction
When a loving responsible parent loses custody because the other parent happens to have more and/or better resources, you wonder where is the justice? And you ask yourself that same thing when you hear about the slap on the wrist a drunk driver has received after an accident that decimates a family.This book explores both of these scenarios.
I enjoyed this book more than I originally thought I would.The characters were well written and the author allowed for growth through the story.While the e
Jo
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If I could have given this one more stars I would have done so. Unputdownable!
Nicole
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookclub
Another excellent story by Diane Chamberlain. Lots of exciting elements occurring simultaneously (maybe a tiny bit too much?)! I love the way she paints the picture of the vulnerable yet strong female in the various characters, and how each woman in the book showcases a different quality at the beginning of the book and then a different one at the end. Slightly ambiguous ending which always leaves me frustrated! Nice writer's trick!
CJC
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had received a bunch of Diane Chamberlain books for Christmas. They are all very quick easy reads - usually with some great characters and this was no exception.

The secondary 'mystery' was completely unnecessary and made way too obvious very early on.

I think it really is time for a break from this author as I read quite a few in a row and they all became a little too much.

*TANYA*
Cara Edgar
Looking forward to getting through this, have read many of Diane's books before and she always smashes it!! Brilliant author with brilliant stories. Though I'm not finished this yet it is clearly another great read from Diane! She always manages to get the story just right with enough detail to keep you interested yet that makes you want to know more at the same time. I think this is talent as not all authors are capable of doing this as good as her.
Jan
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the author's novel Necessary Lies last year, a book that shed light on the horrors of the Eugenics Program that for many years preyed upon scores of poor and lower I.Q individuals in the South, a practice that ended only in the not so distant past. A beautifully written book that I couldn't put down and have recommended to many others since. So yes, I'm a big fan of this author and have now read four more of her novels, this one being the most recent. It was a quick and easy read, and muc ...more
Victoria
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-fic, family, audio
I have truly enjoyed several of Chamberlain’s other books - both in print and in audio. This one, unfortunately, is far from my favorite of her work. Though Chamberlain’s books all have a certain Lifetime-movie-quality, this one feels more like a re-run... the story feels overly familiar and even the subplots fail to add an unexpected element (despite the bombings, even!). The performer narrates the audio version has a smooth voice, and though she handles the male characters well, the timbre she ...more
Marleen
Diane Chamberlain has been spoiling her readers with stories about relationships and family for more than 2 decades. I’ve read about half of her books and mostly I’ve enjoyed them. The Escape Artist (first issued in 1997) has been on my to-read list for a long time, and honestly, the book-blurb sounded intriguing. Unfortunately, this story was just too naïve for my liking. I could not believe what I was reading. How can Susanna Miller, a young mother loose the custody of her child because she ha ...more
Sheena  at Hot Eats and Cool Reads

I've never read a Diane Chamberlain book that I haven't loved. She is such a talented author, and has a way of writing that makes you want to read more. This book was no exception. As a Mom, I felt so bad for Susanna losing custody of her son, especially when she was a good Mom, but didn't have the funds to fight like her cheating ex husband did. I really don't blame her for taking off and starting a new life somewhere else, even though it wasn't easy. The
Marcia
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
This story had me right up until the author chose to go off in such a farfetched direction that I was unable to forgive her. What upset me the most was that the author didn't need to do this. It was such a strong story without it.
Carol
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Simplistic, but I enjoyed reading it and it kept me interested. Just the type of book I needed to read at this time, so I'm giving it four stars for that. I have even added more of this author to my TBR list when I need more books like this....uncomplicated and interesting.
Laurie
Nov 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would give this book 3 1/2 stars, I enjoyed it but agree with others as it's not my favorite book of hers. It moved along nicely and felt it was very well written but felt some of it was a bit predictable.
Sandy
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read several Diane Chamberlain books and seem to end of liking them all (except one, really) in spite of the fact that believability is an issue for me in her stories. This one suffers from quite a bit of that, too, but I still got caught up in the story and found myself anxiously waiting to get back to the book. Susanna Miller is the escape artist of the title - because of her instinct to run whenever life bears down upon her. And this story details her biggest escape as she abducts her so ...more
Lauren Tess'x
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a book by Diane Chamberlain in a while so I thought it was about time I did.

I absolutely loved The escape artist. I found myself well and truly absorbed in the story that I just couldnt put it down.

The escape artist tells the story of a single mother desperate to keep custody of her son and the lengths she takes and the consequences that follow.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters, the character development was spot on, the characters came alive for me and couldn't have bee
E.
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books, on-sale
3.75.
Katie Kenig
Feb 06, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, chicklit
Well, this was very... okay!

I feel very middle-of-the-road about this book.

I usually love Diane Chamberlain books. They - generally speaking, at least for the ones I've read - have a brilliant mix of chick lit fun, romance, and mystery - usually enough of the latter to keep it from being too sickly sweet and setting my teeth on edge. But the best part is that usually the author writes these amazing characters that come to life and feel like friends by the end of the book. I love that, as charac
Laurel-Rain
Jan 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Susanna Miller loses custody of her 11-month old son Tyler to her ex-husband Jim and his new wife Peggy, she is afraid that her life is over.

From the moment she first discovered that Jim was cheating on her with Peggy, right after she discovered she was pregnant, she has been in free fall, descending into the darkness that will soon become her life.

Her best friend Linc Sebastian, who lived next door to her in childhood and has now become her lover and her support system, believes that they
Carole
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can always count on Diane Chamberlain for a good read!
Pamela
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susanna Miller is faced with the prospect of losing her young son. The courts decided that custody will be given to her ex-husband and his wife since they're financially sound and Susanna had some emotional issues in the past. Seeing no other option, Susanna becomes Kim Stratton and leaves with her son to start a new life. Of course, her boyfriend -- and ex-husband and his wife -- are distraught... and use all possible means to search the country for Susanna and the baby.

Diane Chamberlain always
Amanda
I really loved this book. I couldn't put it down!
(view spoiler)
Jessica
I really enjoyed The Good Father, also by Diane Chamberlain, so I decided to take a chance on The Escape Artist.

Much like The Good Father, the plot centered on a single parent forced to make tough decisions.

Susanna is a loving mother, who would do anything for her son, Tyler. So when the courts award her ex-husband custody of the nearly 1-year-old, she's willing to leave the love of her life behind in Boulder, Colo., and take Tyler with her.

She makes her way across the country to Annapolis, M
Debbie Landry
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this one up because I was intrigued by the plot. The summary does a fair job of laying out the events and so this review won't contain any spoilers. The idea of leaving with your child, fighting for him, and starting over even in this day and age seems like it would be a challenge... to "disappear". Suzanna makes it happen and I know that author wrote this book and choose not to update information at it was re-released in Kindle and Audio formats such as adding details like Facebook, so ...more
  • Land of Careful Shadows (Jimmy Vega Mystery, #1)
  • The Surrogate
  • Things We Didn't Say
  • The Kindest Thing
  • All She Ever Wanted
  • The Wishing Hill
  • Requiem Mass (DCI Andrew Fenwick, #1)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Monday's Lie
  • Just Mercy
  • Stash
  • The Secret Hour
Diane Chamberlain is the New York Times, USA Today and Sunday Times bestselling author of 25 novels published in more than twenty languages. Some of her most popular books include Necessary Lies, The Silent Sister, The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes, and The Keeper of the Light Trilogy. Diane likes to write complex stories about relationships between men and women, parents and children, brothers and ...more
More about Diane Chamberlain...