Start by marking “Selu: Seeking the Corn-Mother's Wisdom” as Want to Read:
Selu: Seeking the Corn-Mother's Wisdom

Selu: Seeking the Corn-Mother's Wisdom

Introduces the traditional life-giving story of the Corn-Mother, called selu by the Cherokee.
Published July 1st 1994 by Fulcrum Publishing (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Selu, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selu

Start your review of Selu: Seeking the Corn-Mother's Wisdom
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. The book has some fabulous nuggets of wisdom, but the poor editing drove me nuts. I understand that the author was trying to relate stories in a Native American style, and her voice in those sections is beautiful. But the overall organization of the book is sloppy, chaotic and repetitious. I suspect the book's editor tried to convince the author of this as demonstrated by the "fax" addition at the beginning of the book, but that didn't even begin to fix the editorial issues within the ...more
Elisabeth M
May 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Elisabeth by: Kellee
The first 100 pages blew me away. I was caught up into the enduring wisdom of a people who are both ancient and contemporary, brought to tears by serious problems that cripple our culture, stirred to go back and reweave, to heal, to search for earnest remedy.

I'm sorry to say that at some point after those first 100 pages, the book slowly lost my interest... seemed to lose its vision, its through-line. Although it did pick up again at the end, I would call this more "interesting" than
secondwomn
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i admit first off that the writing in this is probably not 5-star worthy by some rubrics. i cannot say, though, how incredibly happy i am to have read this. in so many ways this book made me feel that i am on the path of coming home to myself. i will circle back often to selu. this book does a wonderful job of blending nostalgia with hope. remember, forgive. balance, understand. i want to sit in a field and listen to corn grow.
Alexandra Chauran
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
This was fascinating but poorly organized. The poems and stories and accompanying explanations flowed unbroken in a way that made it terrible for reading in short increments. I was expecting a collection of myths, but this was not that.
Karen
Dec 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is excellent. It is a compilation of native american stories of the corn mother. I had the pleasure of meeting Marilou Awiakta at the University of Dayton during a native american summit and she is very charming and generous. She writes books for all ages.
Amy
Aug 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
This was interesting. I didn't read the whole thing but liked the parts that I read.
Jay Shelat
This book has a MASSIVE amount of extra information. The only reason this book is two stars for me is it has some awesome points about how men and women should function in society.
Rachel
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Native American lit. readers; Appalachian lit. readers; feminists; poetry lovers
Marilou Awiakta's poetry is challenging and original. She is a Cherokee woman from Oak Ridge. Her parents were nuclear scientists.
Michelle Boyer-Kelly
Finally, a discussion of Selu from a Cherokee perspective! This is a great work, something that I was so happy to accidentally stumble upon. I'm surprised that it had not been mentioned in any of my American Indian Studies courses.

Well written, captivating, and something that I just was not able to put down.
Megan
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I forced myself to read "Selu: Seeking the Corn-Mother's Wisdom" by Marilou Awiakta because I had to read it for a class. I understand different cultures tell stories differently also and I wanted to respect that. I found this book confusing, boring, and uninteresting. I just couldn't get into it. I can't recommend anyone read this book. It just wasn't engaging at all in my opinion.
Oji
Sep 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Oji by: stumbled upon it when first released at our local library
Shelves: native-mind
This book is awesome!! It was written by one of my early "teachers" and I was actually there for "Red Clay" back in the olden days. I always describe this book as a "must read" to my "students" as it is the best, modern day run down of Cherokee spirituality in my humble opinion.
Ls Gentry
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I love the way it flows.
Emily
Apr 27, 2014
Liz
May 11, 2010
Antonia
rated it did not like it
Jan 10, 2008
Emily
Jul 15, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• There’s No Bones in Ice Cream: Sylvain Sylvain’s Story of the New York Dolls
  • Thus Spoke the Plant: A Remarkable Journey of Groundbreaking Scientific Discoveries and Personal Encounters with Plants
  • Spineless: The Science of Jellyfish and the Art of Growing a Backbone