Start by marking “Meow Said the Cow” as Want to Read:
Meow Said the Cow

Meow Said the Cow

It's a noisy morning in the barnyard: roosters crowing, cows mooing, mice squeaking! And the farmer's cat has had enough. With a flick of his tail, the cat casts a spell and the barnyard is turned upside-down. The chickens are oinking, the sheep are barking, and the sheepdog can only let out a confused "Baa?" It's not long before the animals figure out who's to blame...

Emm
Published May 1st 2011 by Arthur A. Levine Books (first published February 1st 2009)

Start your review of Meow Said the Cow
Luisa Knight
What an unexpected delight! Here's a comical read that is sure to be a favorite with your child as they laugh at how all the animal's voices have gone wrong.

Ages: 3 - 6

Cleanliness: the cat uses magic and puts a spell on the animals so they have the wrong voices.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) w
Kaethe Douglas
Meh.

Surprisingly I do not love all the picture books, although I don't bother to read or review many that don't delight me. Despite the cat, the book didn't work for me. Perhaps it was just too rushed, but the premise has no internal logic to support it, and if your premise is fantastic everyone's responses need to remain internally consistent.

Cute pictures though.

Library copy.
Mari
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Tim
What do you notice about the title of this book? What surprises you about it? Now look closely at the expressions on the cat and cow’s face. How do you think they’re feeling? This book is about a mischievous cat who decides to create some magic and cause some trouble. The result is a bit unexpected, and results in a “cacophony”. Hm. That’s an interesting word. As we’re reading, think about what that word might mean. Also, pay close attention to the words the author chooses to help you hear the a ...more
Tatiana
Apr 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Rollicking animal rhymes rule this wacky farm in "Meow Said the Cow." A mischievous cat casts a spell over his barnyard frenemies, and they take none too kindly to this feline bewitching their voice. As you can guess, the cow says meow, the rooster squeaks, the chickens oink...you get the picture. Of course, cat is initially in search of peace and quiet, but he seems to have his fun until he gets his. Recommended four ages four and up. ...more
Michele
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-children
I really liked this one because it is both silly and serious. On top of showing what chaos occurs on a farm after a cat casts a spell, it showed a consequence for the pesky cat. My daughter loved it because of all the silly farm animal sounds I had to make, which I am apparently really good at making. Everyone is good at something, people. Recommend for the 6 and under crowd.
Megan
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddler-kindergarten
A cat, annoyed at being woken up by a loud rooster, casts a spell on the farm animals so each animal now speaks with a different sound. Kids may giggle at the mix-up. I wondered how the cat came to have this magical power, but it was never addressed.
Scottsdale Public Library
A sleepy farm cat is annoyed by the early crowing rooster, so he casts a magical spell that causes absolute chaos among the animals. With the sheep barking and horses quacking, this silly rhyming picture book is fun for children and parents alike!

-Kelly S.
Sophie
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This book is full of imagination i.e a cat doing magical spells. It helps children to understand the characteristics of animals. Despite the book being fun and full of imagination, there is an underlying message; that those who are naughty get punished for their actions. The illustrations, are very relatable as they look like cartoons. Something of which children will be very familiar with from different forms of media.
Jenn Swanson
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
With the simple flick of the tail a cat casts a spell and all the animals do not sound how they would normally do. The pictures were adorable and my daughter really enjoyed this story. Would recommend.
Beverly
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pbf-cats
Funny, and with a slightly different ending than most animal sound mix-up stories.
Colorado Buck
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Teaches a good lesson. Animals each get each other’s sounds.
Laurence Scott
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book as a phonics teaching aid.
Viviane Elbee
This book has a magical cat, who can make other animals speak different "languages" (animal sounds) than their norm. It causes a great deal of chaos on the farm. ...more
Mollie B
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious! Great rhyme scheme for storytime. (magic theme)
Cara Byrne
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
With a little bit of magic, cat transforms his farm by changing how the animals communicate. But, in the end, it's the farm animals who have the last laugh (or "cock-a-doodle-doodle-doo!"). ...more
Heidi-Marie
Cute story with fun rhyming text. I enjoyed seeing which animals swapped voices. I suspected about the cat, so I really liked that ending. Illustrations were fun, too. I think lap-reads, read-alones, and preschool storytimes would work well with this. Of course, it doesn't quite fit into the theme I was working on, yet I believe I will still have the book out as an option for them to read during the play time portion.

1/15/14 This was a good opener for my Topsy-Turvy theme. The kids really liked
Liza Gilbert
Dec 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
You know you're reading a bad picture book when you can't even finish it. They're what, a dozen or so pages in length? If you have to stop, that's a sign. In this case, it's a sign that Dodd's writing is clunky, awkward, and embarrassing. Dodd attemped to write a rhyming story, but the rhymes don't come close to working (trick and magic, and yawning and morning for example)and the meter trots in stops and starts like a robot whose batteries are dying. The reason I gave it one star is because Dod ...more
Donna Siebold
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Tired of being awakened daily by the crowing of the farm's rooster, the farm cat performs some magic and switches the voices of the farm animals. The sheep and the mice are using other words and the cow says meow! When the animals realize who is responsible for their plight they force the cat to reverse his spell. He does and all goes back to normal - at least almost all - but now instead of a meow the cat is the one crowing at the crack of dawn!

Vibrantly illustrated, young children will surely
Melanie
A farm cat is tired of being woken up every morning by the rooster. So he casts a small spell to mix things up a bit. Well, the spell gets a bit out of hand and all of the farm animals find themselves speaking in tongues. They aren't happy about it either. They chase the cat up a tree and demand that he return their normal voices. Cat does, with one small exception: his own voice becomes the new rooster call.

The rhyming is a bit clumsy at times, but with practice this book will be a great one fo
Tam
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Rhyming. Cat thought the farm was too noisy (rooster crowed while Cat was sleeping) & cast a spell on the animals. When Rooster tried to crow, he squeaked, pigs clucked, hens oinked, sheep woofed, dog baa-ed, horse quacked, ducks neighed, & cow meowed. Cat was happy until the mice Moo-ed. The animals chased Cat. He flicked his tail and everything went back to how it should be. Except that every morning, Cat wakes the animals with a cock-a-doodle do!
Rachel
Feb 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
When a cat can not sleep because the farm is to noisy the cat plays a trick on all the other farm animals. In the end the animals seek revenge on the cat. I really enjoyed reading the book. This would be a great book to read aloud because students would love all the different animal noises. The pictures are fun and follow the story very well. I think students any were from preschool to second grade would like this book.
Susan
Aug 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, storybook
I did not like this book. A story written to 'demonize' magic? Imagine the uproar if 'prayer' were used instead of 'magic'. No, that's just not right.

Aside from that, the story made no sense. The cat supposedly used magic because the farm was too noisy. How does simply switching around the sounds that the animals make in anyway at all reduce the noise on the farm? It makes no sense.

Nope, I did not like this story.
Tricia
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Another farm option readaloud about voices gone wrong---this time cat casts a spell after the rooster jars her from her sleep. The mixed-up sounds and fun rhyme make this a possible storytime selection.
Thomas
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Is it just me or is the rhyme scheme for every kid's book pretty much always the same?

Regardless - this was one is a lot of fun. (Even if my kids always get confused about why the sheepdog is sad when he is baa'ing and the sheep are barking.)
NixLapi
Jun 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
So it's a tad odd that this cat has magical powers, but the book is fun with switched up animal noises and certainly appeals to young ones - those just learning their animal noises and those a bit older, like my daughter, who just thinks it is plain silly fun! ...more
Alexandria Shafer
Aug 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
A cute nonsense animal picture book that is appropriate for any age accompanied by very cute pictures. This would be a good book to read to your students on a gloomy day to lighten up the children's moods. ...more
Kristina Bulluck
I really didnt like this book because the rhyming was a little wierd, but the illustrations in this book were very nice.

LE: We would talk about how we feel when we have to get up early and we would think of ways that we could prepare ourselves for a early morning.
Nicole
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Super funny, great illustrations, and fun-to-say rhymes, I'd love to use this book in a storytime. I'd give the kids each of the animals with the different sounds, and engage them throughout the reading. ...more
Michelle
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was okay. I think I would have loved it more if the concept had been newer to me.

• The Little Gardener
  • The Scarecrows' Wedding
  • Owl Babies
  • The Storm Whale
  • Oliver's Fruit Salad (Oliver, #4)
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • There's Room for Everyone
  • The Pond
  • You Can Read
  • The Lion Who Wanted To Love (Orchard Picturebooks)
  • The Rabbits
  • We Are All Born Free: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights in Pictures
  • My Green Day
  • The Great Big Green Book
Emma Dodd Author/Illustrator

Emma was brought up in Guildford, Surrey, in a family of artists and from as far back as she can remember she has wanted to be an illustrator.
Emma studied Graphic Design and Illustration at Central Saint Martin's School of Art and has worked extensively in advertising, editorial and book illustration.
She was nominated for the Booktrust Early Years Award in 2006 for her