Start by marking “The Boy Who Cried Ninja” as Want to Read:
The Boy Who Cried Ninja

The Boy Who Cried Ninja

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  884 Ratings  ·  195 Reviews
In this quirky twist on The Boy Who Cried Wolf, a boys excuses turn out to have an unexpected element of truth.
Published April 1st 2011 by Peachtree Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Boy Who Cried Ninja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boy Who Cried Ninja

Matt
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Whenever Tim tells the truth, he is scolded by adults in his family. Even IF a ninja ate the last piece of cake or a monkey snapped the tv antennae, Tim ended up raking leaves as a punishment. Choosing to lie and take the blame does him no better, as he is still blamed for everything. Finally, Tim has an idea, one that might solve all his issues. Neo laughed about why a ninja might want to eat cake, since they can chop up whatever they want, including a mom who does not share. Oh, Neo!
Lisa
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-kids-books
I thought this book might be a cautionary tale about "crying wolf" but it wasn't. Actually it was quite confusing. My 8 year old asked towards the end of the book, "was he lying or not?" Which was exactly my thoughts through the story. Skip it.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Latimer, A. (2011). The boy who cried ninja. Atlanta, GA: Peachtree.

Genre: Children’s Picture Storybook

Tim is constantly being blamed for things and his parents accuse him of lying when he says the ninja, pirate, and monkey did it. Frustrated, he decides that if he is going to be accused of lying, he should lie. So he lies and confesses to the mishaps around his house. When this gets him nowhere, he comes up with a plan to prove that he is being honest.

Reaction: HILARIOUS! Lying is a behavior th
Garrett
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
I adapted lyrics from a the Mountain Goats song as a review for this book:

"When you punish Tim for seeing ninjas/
Don't expect him to thank or forgive you./
The Boy Named Tim Who Cried Ninja/
Will in time both outpace and outlive you!/
Hail Squid!/
Hail Squid tonight!/
Hail Squid!/
Hail Hail!"
Angela Blount
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Originally reviewed for YA Books Central: http://www.yabookscentral.com/kidsfic...

Delightfully quirky, and outlandishly fanciful.

There once was a boy named Tim—whose fantastical imagination kept getting him in trouble. Whenever unfortunate things happen, Tim defers blame to an amusing cast of mischievous and unlikely characters. But his family isn’t buying the stories he weaves…

Readers expecting a modern retelling of The Boy Who Cried Wolf may be a touch perplexed by the route the author takes
Hillary
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-355
This is probably now one of my favorite books in the whole world. No joke. It's funny, original, and charming. I loved the creativity, the artwork, and the fun twist. But most of all I loved all of the ways the little boy got in trouble, how crazy is it that a ninja drop kicked a plate of chocolate cake and ate it in one bite?! A sunburnt alligator landing on the roof and breaking the cable antenna? I love how the little boy tried to make it right, and how he found his own solution. His reward w ...more
Brian
Apr 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
So funny because it is so random. Perfect read-aloud for upper elementary school kids. What else can you say about a book with a cake-eating ninja and a time-traveling monkey who throws pencils at Grandpa?
Allison
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
not sure what I think about the message being sent here.
Luis Vargas fandiño
Aug 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Funny hilarious great for toddler storytime read aloud!!!! 5 stars, two thumbs up, love it!!!!!
Elisabeth
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
A twisty twist on the "Boy Who Cried Wolf". Perfect for 2-4 grade - definitely need to have a strong grasp on the moral of the story before proceeding.
Karen
May 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jacob, mom, ellie
Jacob thought this book was funny...boy humor. Mom rated it 3 stars.
Elaine
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The turds!
Jordan Chamorro
Oct 14, 2015 rated it liked it
An amazing book about a kid who told the truth but was never belied. I recemend this book to all kids
Linda Atkinson
Feb 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Truth truly can be stranger than fiction ;-)
Mehsi
Why cry Wolf when you can cry for Ninjas instead? I would know who I what I would pick.

So I was actually looking to read another book by Alex Latimer, but then I bumped against this book, I was instantly intrigued by the title. A boy who, instead of wolf, cries ninja and thinks of elaborate excuses? Sign me up. And I found some great dudes on Youtube reading this book aloud, which made the book even more hilarious. Especially since they are giving comments on what happens and also adding sound
Miss Kelly
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read this picture book. I do a Tween book club and receive all ages at this program. In November I am doing a Ninja book club so I am reading all levels of books regarding Ninjas. This book is about a little boy who has a Ninja eat his cake and a giant squid tho ate his whole book bag...etc. But when the boy tells his parents the truth, they don't believe him and make him do yard work for lying. He invites the Ninja, the squid and all the other characters to a party at his house where his pare ...more
Tara Morrow
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-lit
Tim is constantly being blamed and his parents accuse him of lying. Frustrated, Tim decides to actually lie about whats happening. When that gets him in even more trouble, he writes a letter to prove he's not lying.

The illustrations are the best part about this book. This book is confusing as a reader because you don't know when Tim really was or wasn't lying, teaching children a bad habit. Plus, as a reader, you think its going to be a spin off of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf" and its not. Only onc
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is a variation on the boy who cried wolf.

Tim had a problem. Things would happen and his parents wouldn't believe him when he'd tell them he didn't do it. It was the sunburned alligator, or the astronaut, or the octopus, or someone else. They always sent him out to rake leaves and think about what he did. Tim decided to lie since they didn't believe him anyway, but that didn't work either. Then he had an idea of how to prove to his parents that he had been telling the truth.
Children will la
Katya Timmons
Aug 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great!!! Amazing literature! Instant classic and would definitely recommend! One thing that bothered me was the sunburned alligator. How did he manage to get rid of that sunburn so quickly? From the illustration it looks like a very significant burn and could even possibly be sun poisoning. No matter how serious the burn, I'm just extremely glad that he was able to recover by the end of the book and just in time for the party.
Ana
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
The boy has a very wild imagination and tells his parents what he thinks is the truth. His parents don't believe his stories because they are so unreal. He wonders why they dont believe him and he thinks maybe he should lie instead.
I don't know if I really liked this book. It was a little confusing.
The Sleepy Creator
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic tale that reminisce that of the boy who cried wolf. Alas it carries with it the essence of "Those who do not believe in Magic will never find it" Sometimes all we need to do is believe. Hey you ADULT this book is for you. Remember the magic that surrounded you when you were a child with limited understanding of the world. Do not let knowledge kill the magic in you.
Kat Harrison
Mar 13, 2018 rated it liked it
"Ninja" is poised as a modern follow-up to "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", except in Latimer's story, the script is flipped and the moral reads a little differently to new, young readers. Though I am not wholly convinced on the type of story "Ninja" wants to be, it has pockets of fun and life that still make it an enjoyable read.
Kalynda
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I love story spin-offs. I love the combination of familiar and imagination. I think it helps us see beyond the story to different ideas and connections. This one wasn't my favorite of the genre, but a good add to a ninja collection.
Eme87
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
What happens when you get in trouble for telling the truth? You lie of course. What happens when you get in trouble for lying? Hmmm. Invite the people who are making these lies and unbelievable truths happen to your house to meet mom and dad!
T
Oct 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-read
A creative way to talk about lying! Super cute illustration.
Bonnie Grover
Apr 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Fun entertaining story that my students enjoyed.
Jc
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting twist to an age-old story. Very enjoyable.
Shari
Nov 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrensbooks
When Tim tells his mother that a ninja ate the last piece of cake, she doesn't believe him. How can he convince her that he is telling the truth?
Steph
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Love the ending!
Kirsti
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, children-s
Funny story with appealing illustrations.
  • Red Wagon
  • Are You A Horse?
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • The Cazuela That the Farm Maiden Stirred
  • Migrant
  • Fox and Hen Together
  • I'm Not.
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • Henry in Love
  • Squid and Octopus Friends for Always
  • The Mighty Lalouche
  • Spells
  • 999 Tadpoles
Alex Latimer lives near the border of a national park so when not writing or drawing, he spends his free time shooing baboons out of his lounge. The Boy Who Cried Ninja is his first book for children. He lives in South Africa.