Start by marking “A Filha do Sol” as Want to Read:
A Filha do Sol

A Filha do Sol

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  616 Ratings  ·  66 Reviews
Conquistou o coração de um cruel e poderoso líder… e selou o destino do seu povo… Hoshi’tiwa, uma rapariga de dezassete anos, levava uma vida tranquila: filha de um humilde cultivador de milho, tencionava casar com um aprendiz de contador de histórias. Porém, o seu mundo é virado do avesso ao ser capturada pelo poderoso e violento governante de uma cidade infame, conhecido ...more
Published July 2010 by Contraponto (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Filha do Sol, please sign up.

Karen Found it! I went on Amazon to look at the book preview and it turns out that Daughter of the Sun takes place in 1150 AD. An Ancestral Puebloan girl…moreFound it! I went on Amazon to look at the book preview and it turns out that Daughter of the Sun takes place in 1150 AD. An Ancestral Puebloan girl travels to the world of the Aztecs. On the other hand, Woman of a Thousand Secrets takes a Taino girl and has her travel to the world of the Mayans in 1323 AD. The Aztecs primary prayed to Quetzalcoatl while the Mayans prayed to Kukulcan.(less)

Awallens
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was wonderful! This is a part of history I don't know a lot about, and it was told with Grace and heart. The narration was spectacular! It is very obvious that the narrator spent a lot of time learning how to pronounce different words with different accents. I was really impressed with her performance, and it really made the book come alive for me. I would definitely recommend this to historical fiction lovers and anyone interested in an epic tale.
I was given this audiobook for free f
Xarah
Ah, yes, to be an archaeologist, yet read historical fiction. It's probably not the best of ideas. While the story is set in Chaco Canyon (New Mexico), it did not feel like it. Archaeologically speaking, the Toltecs were probably not living in Chaco in the great numbers depicted in this book; though their influence is known as represented by copper bells, parrot bones, etc. Also, the descriptions of the Toltecs combined aspects from both the Aztecs and Maya cultures - which, quite frankly, threw ...more
Joana
Feb 02, 2011 rated it liked it
A parte final, é muito boa, ou pelo menos, muito emocionante. O contexto histórico é mais ou menos. Mas infelizmente quase até ao final é demasiado morno.
Rebecca Huston
Set in what is now Chaco Canyon in New Mexico, this is a rather contrived novel that tries to explain why the site was eventually abandoned. It's a pretty average read, not that interesting, and full of very wild speculation on the author's part. Those who want HF set in the Americas might find it interesting, but I was just left annoyed. Proceed at your own risk.

To read the complete review, please go here:

Cynthia
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting story that doesn’t work out like you would think. It isn’t a romance although it does have people who fall in love and the outcome of that love. Mostly it is based on one woman who everyone thinks because she was born under a rain star that she can make it rain through her rain vases she makes. This is her journey of what she goes through losing her love as another man takes over her life. When he falls in love with her things get very sticky when others want her as well.

Rebe
Leserling /Belana
When I discovered this book on the ‚Up for Adoption‘ page of Audiobookworm Promotion, I absolutely had to listen to it. I remembered having devoured another novel (Virgins of Paradise) by Barbara Wood many years ago, and I remembered how fascinated I had been, even though my memory of the plot is hazy. So, I didn’t even read the summary, hence I didn’t know what to expect.

Let me tell you, this is a great story that made me think. I wondered about the old religions and beliefs, asking myself whet
Tristin
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story! Lots of twists that I didn't see coming and it enlightened me to an era of history that I knew very little about before. It's a kind of speculative story about a history that archeologists haven't really been able to figure out yet. It uses real places, cave paintings, and artifacts to expound on a fiction that very well might have been real and I love that! The entire landscape of the south western US is dotted with huge monuments and humble cave paintings depicting a culture that w ...more
Ne
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tendo sido a primeira vez que li algo de Barbara Wood, e sem qualquer influência por parte de slogans ou opiniões literárias, devo concluir que este livro me satisfez genuinamente.
Com a originalidade temática, centrada num tempo um pouco mais recente do que os Maias, com a especificidade de práticas religiosas, de costumes, de alimentação, A Filha do Sol está recheada de cultura e de pormenores diferentes e que nos transportam para um mundo e uma civilização totalmente diferente do Agora.
Com uma
Nuno Magalhães
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nuno by: Estela
Este livro é outro grande romance histórico de Barbara Woods. Esta autora escreve regularmente sobre temas relacionados com a antropologia da vida tribal da espécie humana, construindo histórias interessantes a partir de factos científicos que vão sendo descobertos sobre esse imenso período da evolução humana. Neste livro, a autora constrói uma narrativa em torno da cultura Anasázi, que floresceu na região sudoeste dos Estados Unidos, que abrange os 4 estados que actualmente constituem a região ...more
Carol K
Interesting setting for this story, but the plot is too far-fetched, too many amazing coincidences in terms of timing of events in the plot. I enjoy historical fiction, but this is ridiculous.
Janne
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ik vond Dochter van de Zon een prachtig boek. Het was het eerste boek dat ik las van Barbara Wood, maar het was niet het laatste. Ik heb het ondertussen al meerdere malen gelezen en ook andere boeken van haar hebben mij kunnen boeien.
Ik hou van geschiedenis in het algemeen. Ik hou van zowel fictie als non-fictie beoeken over de geschiendenis. Dochter van de Zon heeft je een perfect beeld over bepaalde maatschappijen van vroeger. Ook al besef ik dat voor sommigen op deze aarde het nog geen gesch
GoldenjoyBazyll
Oct 14, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jen
Shelves: barbara-woods
The setting... an infamous city in the Toltec court. A young girl is torn from her home and brought to the city because her father had bragged about her gift in making vessels that attract rain. The court is in a state of terrible drought and she must turn the tides or she and her village will be put to death. This is an interesting story of love... betrayal.... murder... fear.

The story immediately captured my interest because it began with a runner coming to warn a village that Jaguar troops o
Lisa
Sep 30, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jahr 1150 - Die junge Hoshitiwa lebt friedlich in ihrem Dorf in einem Land der Azteken, als sie von den Kriegern des "Dunklen Herrschers" verschleppt wird. Sie ist auserwählt, einen magischen Tonkrug herzustellen, der Regen bringen und das geplagte Land von der andauernden Dürre befreien soll.
Hoshitiwas Schicksal ist mit dem vom Faraday verwoben, ein gläubiger Arzt, der sich im Jahr 1910 nach einer schrecklichen Erfahrung in einer Glaubenskrise sieht. Seine Suche nach Antworten führt ihn auch in
Shyla
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical-fic
This was a completely different kind of book for me. I love novels set in differenct times but have pretty much stuck with early 1500-1800's so I thought I would broaden my horizon a bit with this one. This book is about an real ancient civiliztion in America, the Toltics. The main character is a young girl who is forced to leave her small viallage, her family and her betrothed to go to the big city where the king resides because she has been chosen for her excellent pottery skills. There was a ...more
Kristy
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Oh, this book. I had forgotten how amazing it is. This story is the author's take on the mysterious disappearance of the Anasazi people. Most of the story takes place in Chaco Canyon. Hoshi'tiwa is taken from her home and forced to make rain jars for the Dark Lord and the people of Center Place to bring rain and relieve the town of a long drought. Barbara Wood does an amazing job of not only telling a story, but painting a picture of the way of life during those times, of the violent Toltecs, an ...more
Alexandra
Due to life events, I started and stopped reading this book several times, so it was hard for me to pick up any momentum. By the end I pretty much just wanted to be done with it and skimmed the last 50 pages. The story is about a Native American girl who is a talented potter in the 11th century. I typically don't read about this period and was excited about trying something new. There were some stretches that I was really into and would classify as three stars, but on the whole I just didn't car ...more
Nabila Amr
Eine wunderbare Geschichte über Generationen, die versuchen die Geschichte der Indianerin bzw. Schamanin von Hoshitiwa herauszufinden. Barbara Wood hat eine wunderbare und einfache Art ihre Geschichte zu erzählen. Man kann sich sofort mit den Hauptprotagonisten identifizieren. Leider fehlt mir hier etwas die Spannung. Die Liebesgeschichte von Morgana ist leicht vorhersehbar. Ich habe dieses Buch im Urlaub gelesen zur Entspannung und das war optimal. Wer etwas zur Entspannung lesen will, ist dies ...more
Aurelia
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Overall, a solid, entertaining read. It was definitely refreshing to read a historical fiction novel with such a unique setting. The complicated culture and religion of the Toltec people and the People of the Sun was fascinating, and the development of the heroine was well done and believable, as far as heroine's go. I think the book could have done with one or two fewer subplots - it honestly just got overly complex near the end, and it was difficult to keep track of all the twists and turns wi ...more
Anne
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every fan of Barbara Wood.
A great story and background, as always brilliant historical facts and you always learn something with Barbara Wood!
But this time I thought some parts/scenes were too detailed, too unreachable for my own thoughts and prospects as there was described every single thought of the protagonists. Maybe I overreact ;-)
Though I like Barbara Wood's books a lot, so the next one's starting right away ...
Renelle
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An amaxing book that enthralls the reader and excites the imagination! One cannot help but be transported back to a time when nature was appreciated and society merely beginning! The forbidden love inspires the reader to open their hearts and minds to the idea of connectedness and acceptance of people based on their actions rather than simply their physical appearance. I loved every minute of this book!
Cayleigh
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010
I read this book all the way through, but I can't say I was that intrigued by it. It seemed like it should be really cool, being set in the Middle Americas during the rule of the Toltecs, but in the end none of the characters really grabbed me. They seemed to make a lot of goofy decisions and while it hinged around the complete changing of a whole society, nothing seemed that urgent to me. Just couldn't get into it.
Mckinley
I have really enjoyed her books in the past. They're a bit of easy, pleasure reading. And while this one is fun, it's certainly not historical fiction. I had trouble with all the assumptions and made-up parts; they dominate and thus made it less appealing, I wish this had not been set in a real place although I do understand the draw to make up what did happen to the people living in the southwest around 1100 ad.
Annette
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-stories
I had to keep reading this book to see what would happen to the main character. I enjoyed picking it up each and every time and going into their world of days past.
I love the strength of the main female characters by Barbara Woods. This is the second book I've read by her and plan on reading more.
Michaela
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different from many books I've read, its about a girl whose only concern is her soon to be husband. Through a series of events though she her concern is an entire city of people. Sharing her beliefs and freeing them from the chains of the Lord. Filled with action, love, mystery, and tragedy; its a story that takes you to another time.
Theadora
Mar 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: friends
Charmaine Tabron
This book sits on the top shelf with my other favorites. I think I love it so much cause it is different from anything I would normally read and the fact that it is so well written. Everything is described in detail like I can see it in front of me. Another thing I love are the characters in the book. They are all so different but their feelings become my feelings, especially the main character.
Mary Black
Fictionalized romance between a teenage girl who has a crush on the king. Some of the lifeways may be interesting, but the plot is totally unbelievable, at least to me. I would have to classify this more as romance than historical fiction.
Ileana
Aug 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5
The book describes very well the customs, believes, and environment of the Toltec people, at a time of tensions by drought and intrigues for power.
I did not enjoy the end of the chief jakal and the rain girl, the main characters, after so many adventures.
Journeywoman
Until the end I would have given this book 4 stars. The end kind of killed it for me.

That being said, this was a wonderful read. I am a very quick reader and this took me over a week. Mainly because I needed to stop, and think about what I was reading.

I do reccomend this book.
Punita
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm intrigued by the way people lived and better understand how religious myths were started.. To bring order to civilisation. Great historical fiction but can't comment how accurate it was about ancient Americans..
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Jun 23, 2015 12:35PM
  • There Is Room for You: A Novel
  • The Fourth Queen
  • Wu: The Chinese Empress Who Schemed, Seduced and Murdered Her Way to Become a Living God
  • Someday Soon
  • Figures In Silk
  • Seraglio
  • Lucky Everyday: A Novel
  • Nadia's Song
  • Thornfield Hall
  • Stealing Athena
  • The Master of Verona (Star-Cross'd #1)
  • Wild (Regency Flings, #1)
  • My Life with George: What I Learned about Joy from One Neurotic (and Very Expensive) Dog
  • Hottentot Venus: A Novel
  • The King's Daughter
  • How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition
  • The Bargain Bride
  • Harem: The World Behind the Veil
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...