Start by marking “The Possessions Of Doctor Forrest” as Want to Read:
The Possessions Of Doctor Forrest

The Possessions Of Doctor Forrest

2.89  ·  Rating details ·  236 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Three respected Scottish doctors - psychiatrist Steve Hartford, paediatric surgeon Grey Lochran and cosmetic surgeon Robert Forrest - have been close friends since their Edinburgh boyhoods, and now live handsomely in suburban London. But for each, midlife has brought certain discontents, especially for Forrest, a reformed womaniser who broods over his fading looks and the ...more
Published June 2nd 2011 by Faber Faber (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Possessions Of Doctor Forrest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Possessions Of Doctor Forrest

Maria Clara
Sin duda, con este libro salí de mi zona de confort, y no me arrepiento. Tengo que decir que me tocó leerlo para Halloween, y que cuando vi que tenía 989 casi me da un algo... Pero, cuando leí las primeras líneas, fue uno de esos instantes 'mágicos' en que sabes que te va ha gustar; como si hubiera una especie de conexión invisible, que te atrapa y ya no te deja ir.

La historia está narrada a base de diarios, en que los protagonistas explican la extraña desaparición de su amigo. Poco a poco, ves
Will Byrnes
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Richard Kelly, in The Possessions of Doctor Forrest, applies a gothic look and feel to a contemporary setting, in presenting and then unraveling for us a strange disappearance.

Doctor Robert Forrest clearly has a dark side. We learn of this by reference, as several other doctors, who make up the alternating narrators here, recall events in their journals. Clearly a hedonist, Forrest seems to have left a trail of destruction in his wanton path. He has a somewhat creepy girlfriend and has captured
Blair
Grey Lochran, Steve Hartford and Robert Forrest are a trio of successful doctors who have been friends (and rivals) since their schooldays, although in recent years Robert - a plastic surgeon - has developed a dangerous obsession with youth and vanity which has led to him becoming somewhat alienated from his old friends. When Robert goes missing, the others are perplexed by his sudden disappearance, and Grey in particular is determined to uncover the truth about what has happened to him. The sto ...more
Caitlin
Feb 18, 2013 rated it did not like it
This review and others like it available on my blog

I'm not entirely sure it works. Oh, plenty of ideas are presented and discussed within the text, but you are frequently hammered with them. And the dread, the melodrama, the creeping horror that should be present in a Gothic Novel simply, well, isn't.

The writing isn't all that great either - often ham-handed, confusing. The characters all sound the same. If you're going to write a novel where you have everal points of view, you should try to ma
Mima
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
šteta što nema ocjena 4+, nije mi za 5, al baš je dobra!
Megan
Dec 05, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was awesome. The main issue other people seemed to have had with it was the language, which they viewed as too "gothic" for the contemporary setting. I disagree - the language works perfectly for a bunch of very-educated, pompous Brit/Scottish doctors in a modern gothic novel. This is how I would expect intelligent people to speak, with a little gothic flair added (More noticeably on Robert than the others, but then Robert is crazy.)

Another issue seemed to be the inability to tell char
Marie
Aug 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Three Scottish doctors - Grey Lochran, Robert Forrest and Steven Hartford - have been friends since their medical school days. As they have grown into middle-age they have grown somewhat apart and practice in very varied fields, but still keep in regular contact. When Dr Forrest suddenly disappears without a trace, his old colleagues are baffled and the police are unable to turn up a single lead. And although Robert is no longer around, his friends continue to feel echoes of his presence in ever ...more
BellaGBear
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I was at times very fascinated by the book, but still I could not motivate myself to really continue reading it somehow.
Now I definetely want to read it again. There were a lot of interesting philosophical parts in it I don't think I have fully understood yet.

The languege was very difficult but good. It is written in a very educated way. With a fancy sentence structure and difficult words. That also makes it difficult to read the book in one go. But it was not a made language. It really fits th
David Graham
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
I like 'gothic' a lot but, golly gosh, it does need to be done well to be bearable. The first few pages of the 'The Possessions...' are quite a turn off because of this and it's a jolt to discover that one isn't stuck in the pre 19th century after all. Thusly thereafter - note the words - there's a lot of rather archaic language that one occasionally needs to check in the dictionary to understand (not a bad thing) and some terribly convoluted sentence construction - viz. this - that irks rather ...more
Bilbo Baggins
Danielle
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is my reading group's choice for October - aaaaaah!

Weirdly interesting or interestingly weird...

This book is about the disappearance of a doctor and his friends' quest to find him.

At the beginning I was surprised to find this was a contemporary novel. Indeed, the tome of it suggests it could be similar in era and tone to a Sherlock Holmes. It was only when one of the characters took out a mobile phone that I realised this was supposed to be set in the present-day.

The novel is very atmosphe
Lára  Arnarsdóttir
Jan 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Individuals who appreciate a good book
4 stars because I had a feeling I was reading Dracula, Frankenstein, Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Devil's Elixirs - all at the same time.
Im really sensitive when it comes to retellings and using/stealing characters previously created. This wasnt the case in this book but most of the characters have some similarities with characters from the mentioned books above.
However, characters in this book are more complex and haunting.

Story is interesting, at some times creepy, even funny to
Jane
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club, gothic
Not quite as clever as it aspires to be. This does wear it's gothic sensibilities quite heavily and the influences of Dracula, Frankenstein and Jekyll and Hyde are splattered all over it. Literally. Some nice touches and a dark storyline, but no one to actually care about within the dreary list of characters. I won't post spoilers, but the end section really dragged on and took the story backwards in some respects - by which point I didn't actually care (much like I felt about Frankenstein himse ...more
Rebecca
Sep 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
After his disappearance, Dr Forrest’s friends watch as the abyss that lies in his wake inexplicably consumes their every lead and the Grim Reaper’s touch edges closer to those they hold dear. A foreseeable plot that is typical of gothic literature does not detract from the gripping mystery laid down in this book. A subtly sinister tale of partnership between Hubris and the femme fatale pays homage to the masters of the field (Dante in particular) without being weighed down by them. Kelly’s skilf ...more
Jayne Lamb
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror-fiction
Kally Sheng

In driving, one assumes the danger of destroying life, beginning with one’s own.
Peter Johnson
Sep 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
I finished this about a year ago. I think the author has the potential to become a very talented writer indeed but perhaps needs to find his feet a little as well as, dare I say, his most suitable genre.

All the same I found it to be a most enjoyable read apart from the fact that I found myself being able to second guess what was going to happen next throughout. That would be my only criticism of the book.
D.E. Meredith
Oct 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic
Loved it. Very interesting way of writing with a curt nod to C19th but steeped in contemporary obsessions. Very original despite being (at the same time, clever that) a homage. If you like books that make you think and classy writing, you won't be disappointed. Howling at the moon gothic. A proper London novel.
Mo
Apr 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
Gave up on this one as it was quite dreary. I have enough books to read without ploughing through one to find if there are any good bits. I used to make a point in finishing every book... I may get back to this one but no now. It might have got better but I was 1/5th way through it and nothing much was happening.
Ali Jarman
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Hmmm. I found this disjointed and a little predictable. The hyperbole written about it just didn't come through for me and I was left rather disappointed. I would say that I like my literature a bit more straightforward, but I'm not sure that's true. I guess the truth is that only the very best gothic horror works for me, and this just wasn't it. But an OK read and well written.
Andy Weston
Apr 08, 2012 rated it liked it
I am unsure about "gothic" books written in the present day. Throughout Kelly conjures the gothic scene well, and I kept believing I was in the 1880's.

But the novel never gets going for me. Certainly there are deaths, and what can be called twists, but low on suspense - little build up of atmosphere, and overall, disappointing.
Eva
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
This book is quite rich with character development, but even I - being a mature 16-year-old - couldn't really get into it, probably because I'm not an adult and can't relate to it. I think it's appropriate for a certain age. I rated it this high because I want to read it a few years later, just to see if it can get to me at the age of 25 or so, and it really has a potential.
Eveline
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
1.5-2 stars. The first part was okay, not amazing but just enough intrigue to keep reading. The final part kind of ruined the book for me; you already basically know everything that happened, now you just get some more details and Forrest's thoughts, but didn't really care for him as a character, so for me the book could have done without this and just left a bit more mystery to the story.
Anne Lydolf
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
A Victorian Gothic novel that takes place in modern day. Awesome in theory, but completely misses the mark in practice. The characters are all very unrelateable, despite the Author's best attempts. Therefor any deaths that take place have no emotional effect on the reader.
Jules
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: creepy
A Victorian gothic horror set in modern London - this is the sort of thing I'd imagine Robert Lois Stevenson or Wilkie Collins would produce if they were writing today. A wonderfully creepy book for cold, dark evenings.
Bookwormthings
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been a while since I had read a gothic novel, and this one I found a suitably chilling re-entry into the genre. It's a morality tale in many ways, and the ending, perhaps a slightly predictable, makes sure no one is left untouched.
Leanne
Nov 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Very dull and dreary until the last 20%! The last part of the book was gripping and exciting, and I couldn't put it down. The build up to that part though was a painful plod, and in places had to force myself to continue reading. It is a shame really as it could have been a very good book.
Suz
May 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: given-up
Life's too short - I'm bored and giving up
Emily
Dec 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Rita
One of the books that tempt me in the airport without having had any prior exposure to it. Wonder what I'll think about it after I've gotten around to read it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Leela's Book
  • Ours Are the Streets
  • The Last Gift
  • The Translation of the Bones
“Our life's great friendships are dropped on us in strange little ways but for providential reasons. We are meant to encounter our opposites in life and be changed by them – transformed, in some manner.” 0 likes
“La vie humaine est limitée, mais je voudrais vivre éternellement – Human life is limited but I would like to live forever. - Yukio Mishima” 0 likes