Start by marking “Helene Hanff: A Life” as Want to Read:
Helene Hanff: A Life

Helene Hanff: A Life

2.56  ·  Rating details ·  27 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
The life of Helene Hanff as told to her biographer.
Published March 1st 2011 by Grand Oak Books (first published December 20th 2010)

Deborah Markus
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
This is, quite simply, the worst book ever written.

The only way it could be worse is if the author had opted for comic sans. Other than an acceptable font, it has every possible flaw.

Ludicrous spelling errors:

Helene finished off the beer in her glass, signaled the waiter for the check, and continued picking at the chow mien.

Her favorite was smoked turkey with Russian dressing and coleslaw on a crusty role.

As for the 1960s British wave of rock that crashed on American shores, in particular the
Mari Anne
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Seriously disappointed as this "biography" of Hanff left me with more questions than answers. The book also seemingly contradicts itself in several places as at one point it states that she never learned how to drive and several chapters later she is driving. It irritates me that the author also left us hanging as to a lot of this issues in her life. I.E. What the heck happened to her fiance? At the end of one chapter he left to go out of town and then not one word is spoken of him in the rest o ...more
Liz
This book has/had potential, but it needs a lot of editing. Some good content, but also contradictory info and bad spelling/grammar/editing errors.

The Q & A with the subject and author were great... Wish there had been more of that.

I do not regret buying this book, because she is one of my favorite authors (and characters!).
Ruth Chernia
Oct 02, 2014 rated it did not like it
A total waste of money. It's full of typos, bad grammar, inconsistencies, sloppy editing, low-resolution images without context … I could go on but others have said it before me. I wish goodreads had a half-star rating!
Barbara Froman
Mar 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Dreadful. simply dreadful. Poorly edited, poorly written. There were errors in punctuation, contradictory information, the narrative jumped around in a disjointed fashion. All I really learnt was the author of the biography has a huge ego.Which I was not interested in.
R. Lawrence
Sep 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting, but lousy. A true stinker. I kept hoping it would get better. "84 Charing Cross" was such a good book, it's to bad her bio wasn't.
A.C. Burch