Start by marking “Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy” as Want to Read:
Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy

Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy

Carlos Duarte knows that he's fabulous. He's got a better sense of style than half the fashionistas in New York City, and he can definitely apply makeup like nobody's business. He may only be in high school, but when he lands the job of his dreams--makeup artist at the FeatureFace counter in Macy's--he's sure that he's finally on his way to great things.

But the makeup
Published July 26th 2011 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

Start your review of Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy
Vinaya
Here's the thing: My friends circle consists almost entirely of LGBTQ people. And I adore them. So when I set out to write a gay romance a couple of months ago, I naturally patterned my MC on the gay people I know most intimately - my best friends. Now a large part of my friends' circle consists of people who are the flamboyantly gay type. You know the type I mean, the ones who wear tight skinny jeans and jewellery (and sometimes, very embarrassingly, feather boas!) and air-kiss and call ...more
Zeke
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbtq, ya, favorites
I read this for a committee--definitely a "YA glbt book" but not in the typical, cliched ways. His sexuality is kind of non-issue; it's more about Carlos pursuing his ultimate career dream: to become a professional make-up artist. Light, quick, snappy dialogue--super fast read. A very NYC kind of story...
Cecilia
Oct 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: blue-covers
I thought the title too irresistable to give this book a chance – and I will have to say that it was a rather delightful sort of read. Imagine if Marc St. James from Ugly Betty gave his own backstory – and I think you will be able to picture Carlos perfectly! He was sassy, confident, and just a perfect blend of ambitious and niceness to make for a likeable main character.

I am not a makeup fiend (…well, maybe I dabble in eyeshadows like a regular Bob Ross), but the enthusiasm that exudes from
Joanne Palin
Jul 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. I have read a considerable amount of teen fiction, but none from the perspective of a gay teen boy. Purchased it for my elementary libraries, but it it is too mature for even a 5th grader. Great middle school read.
Jake
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fluffy, easy to read, but definitely entertaining. Carlos Duarte is a makeup prodigy and young gay high schooler who makes plenty of mistakes, but at least he owns up to most of them. He's a hard worker (in some aspects of his life), and not always a great friend, but you can't help but love him. By no means a perfect YA novel, but definitely a good one to recommend to middle schoolers.
Doug Upchurch
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fun-fiction
Another great YA read with LGBT themes. I would love to see this move to the screen. A really well-written character piece that is less about a kid finding his confidence and more about him finding his heart. Really worth reading if you like these types of books.
Dania❤️
May 24, 2018 rated it liked it
this is a good book but i did it fell that it makes sense because all that carlos know is that he is famous well he thinks that.
Mark
"When I was twelve, I convinced my mother to let me do her makeup for Parents' Night. When I was finished, my sister, Rosalia, who was fifteen, said, 'Ma, aren't ya even gonna say anything?'

Ma said to me, 'All right, so it looks nice, Carlos. But I don't think I should be encouraging something like this. I'm not gonna go to your school and tell your teacher, 'See my face! Isn't it pretty? My son did my makeup. Didn't he do an excellent job?'

Rosalia asked, 'Why not?'

Ma said, 'You know why not!
L_manning
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Carlos Duarte knows exactly who he is and what he wants from life. When he hears about a chance to apply at Macy's to work at one of their make-up counters, he knows this is going to open the doors to his dreams of becoming a famous make-up artist. Carlos soon learns that this may prove to be more difficult than he had first though. Throw in problems with his sisters, a crush, and dealing with severe homophobia , and Carlos soon has more on his plate than he thought he'd have to deal with.

Carlos
Rebecca Ann
Apr 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I really did not find Carlos at all likable. He was obsessed with how people looked and while he was horrified by anyone daring to judge him, he judged everyone else constantly. Even his friends, like Angie who apparently ate a lot when she was stressed. He was constantly mentioning how gross it was, but he describes himself as "big" as well, so this seemed really hypocritical. Anyone whose fashion sense and makeup style didn't match his own was viewed as ridiculous. I actually snorted out loud ...more
Freshmengal72
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Tess Anderson
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wjhs, funny, romance, ficton
Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy by Bil Wright is one of the Best intriguing books I've read this year. If you like a good Romance that any girl does, a good laugh that makes you laugh out loud, and any real life problems that any male goes through, then I highly suggest you check out Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy today.
Carolynne Floyd
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute story.

I loved this little book. The main character, Carlos, truly is a character and one that made me chuckle. He has a great optimism about him and you can't help but hope things go his way.
Inge
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, gay, lgbtq
Finally. An LGBTQ book that's not about a white, middle class gay dude. This is funny and sweet as hell and avoids predictable answers and messages.
Casey Jo
Nov 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Caveat: I was recommended this book as fat rep, which ... comes up very little, and is just as often comments that people are eating the "wrong" food as anything else. Oh no, grease! Think of the pores!!!

Carlos is a make up genius. OK, great. But he doesn't learn. The entire plotline revolves around him being extremely skilled with makeup. Which gives an easy out when things get tough. Almost like a chosen one trope, he gets away with shit.

(view spoiler)
Claire DM
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
3.5 stars. 3 for sloooow burn before it got good. 4 stars for prose, voicing of the character, representation and story. Glad it's out there! Possibly a niche queer kid read, just because it takes so long for the story (which is just interesting no matter who you are) really gets going.
Axel
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
It was okay. DNF in the middle for a week just out of disinterest, picked it up again and finished it in an hour. Mostly, it was predictable. Overall, it was enjoyable but forgettable.
Oct 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Cute YA book. Not amazing but Carlos has stuck with me.
Patrick Ormond
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to see any LGBT child read this book. It is a story line which teens could relate to.
Che
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Last quarter of the book was rushed.
Galion Public Library Teens
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
Review by K.S.: "I liked how it showed that anything's possible if you put your mind to it."
Karen
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is about a high school gay guy named Carlos. his dream is to be a makeup artist so he's really into makeup stuff. thought out this he prosses trying to get a job or try to found the confidence to keep going to follow his dreams. his friends Rosalia support him but his mom doesn't and when he was 5 his dad was left because he was a drug addict.
This book is so fun to read as I laugh at some pages. if you like makeup or article that kind of stuff you definitely have to read this book.
Kaylee Graham
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
it was a great book and i loved it. i would read it again and again but i have other books i need to read for school
Elizabeth
3.5. I loved how deep this story went. Even beyond Carlos and his heart's desire to be a makeup artist, he was dealing with a lot of issues and never lost sight of them.
Madison
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
Malvika Puranik
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
very interesting , kept me hooked till the end
Holly Lewis
Putting Makeup on the Fatboy by Bill Wright is about Carlos, a flamboyantly gay young adult pursuing a career in the make-up industry. Having just secured a job at a make-up counter at Macy's, he's trying to learn to juggle school, friends, home life ( with his emotional mother who lost her job and his older sister who can't find a decent job or a boyfriend who isn't a deadbeat), and work. Most of the story focuses on his job at Macy's and how he learns the ins and outs of competitive business; ...more
Sara Latta
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-for-review
In “Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy” (Simon & Schuster, 2011), author Bil Wright has conjured, in Carlos Duarte, one of the most authentic teen narrators since Holden Caulfield. Sixteen year-old Carlos has a fabulous sense of style, loves makeup, and dreams of becoming “Carrlos, Duarte, makeup artist to the stars!” He imagines “doing Mary J. Blige’s makeup before a concert, or maybe Rihanna’s, or taking a month off from school to go on tour with Janet Jackson because she insisted if she didn’t ...more
Leslie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
The book i am reading is Putting Makeup on The Fat Boy by Bil Wright. I rate this book like a 3 stars, its a good book but it is not a really good book that i will put as my favorite and i got confused on if the main character a girl or a boy i think i is a boy. This book is about this kid named Carlos that is in High School and he loves to do make up and he judge to mush about how people do their make up (that is what i think about him), and her friend Angie told him to get a job in Macy's. So ...more
Lacey
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Putting Makeup on a Fat Boy follows Carlos Duarte's path to becoming a makeup artist, a virtual life long dream of his. Along this journey, however, Carlos encounters various personal struggles including bullying and homophobia, as well as his sister's struggle with an abusive relationship.
I believe this book strikes a great balance between light-hearted humor and tough, realistic issues. While almost all of the characters, especially Carlos, fit many character stereotypes a little too well, I
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
2013 Hub Reading ...: Putting Makeup on the Fat Boy 2 8 May 14, 2013 11:00AM

• If You Could Be Mine
  • Juliet Takes a Breath
  • Flying Lessons & Other Stories
  • Runaway Ralph (Ralph S. Mouse, #2)
  • Grasshopper Jungle