Start by marking “WebMage (Webmage, #1)” as Want to Read:
WebMage (Webmage, #1)

WebMage

(Webmage #1)

Ravirn is not your average computer geek. A child of the Fates—literally—he’s a hacker extraordinaire who can zero in on the fatal flaw in any program. Now that twenty-first-century magic has gone digital that makes him a very talented sorcerer. But a world of problems is about to be downloaded on Ravirn—who’s just trying to pass his college midterms.Great Aunt Atropos, on ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published August 25th 2006 by Ace Books (first published July 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about WebMage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about WebMage

ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Either I wasn't in the mood or this protagonist is this juvenile. I didn't hate him, but I didn't like him either. Take it with a grain of salt. The basic premise for the story and this world is interesting enough, I guess. Combination of Greek mythology and technology isn't exactly boring, although some things might sound dated today.

Awesome things I'd like to have: a webgoblin of my own (even an opinionated one would work).

I may try this again, though.
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
A good first novel, with reasonable sounding tech even 6-7 years after it was written. The characters are strong and interesting, although the main character isn't always that bright considering what a good hacker he's supposed to be. I absolutely adored his familiar and the vegetarian troll. The three Furies were also fabulous in a frightening way.

The action never stops and the hero is constantly being injured so severely he's often incapacitated but I love that so it worked for me. He has goo
Cathy
Dec 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: Penguin list
Terrific. Great premise - the Greek gods are still around. When computers were developed the Fates began using them to do their work. One of their grandchildren, Ravirn, is asked to debug a program for Atropos that will remove free will from humans. He doesn't want to do it, adventures ensue. Looking forward to reading the next 2 in the series that are already published. Books 4 and 5 have been contracted, according to the author's website.
Mir
Mar 15, 2018 rated it liked it
More like 3.5
As you can judge from the years it took me to finish, it wasn't exactly gripping (although there were some exciting actions scenes), but on the other hand it was a solid, original story, generally free from annoying stupidnesses.

Best line: "You'd have done the same for me, though with less panache."
Ratkin
Feb 26, 2011 rated it liked it
I feel awfully torn about this book. It revives the whole magic-combined-with-computers idea, and does it pretty well. I particularly enjoyed the laptops that convert to familiars and assist in the magic/hacking. If the story had just worked that one idea I might have enjoyed it a lot more. Unfortunately there was another whole piece of the backstory: the Greek Gods are still around and running things. In my opinion, clutter ensued. I kept going through to the end, but at times it was a struggle ...more
S.H. Marr
Jul 14, 2017 marked it as abandoned
DNF at 14% Boobplate armor, really?
Forrest
May 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: cbriii
WebMage is book-candy. It reads fast and lacks substance. But it is a fun read and sometimes you need to pull your brain back from the heady concepts in the more serious book entries on your list. The sad part is that the concept is really awesome and in the hands of a better writer, it could have been a great series of books.

The premise of WebMage is that the Greek pantheon is real and has been running things behind the scenes for eternity. While the gods themselves don’t make any appearances
Carly
Jan 03, 2013 marked it as currently-paused
Okay, this book has disrupted my gym time for long enough. The good part: for the past month, I've been reading scientific papers to avoid reading this book. The bad part: I've been procrastinating about going to the gym to avoid both.
No more.
I'm pausing this book--not necessarily DNF'ing: I've made it about 80% through and that's just too far to give up. There's nothing wrong with it; it's just not for me.

However, if you like Fated or Something from the Nightside, this may very well be a good f
Theresa
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: If you like Rob Thurman's books, check this one out.
Shelves: fantasy, 2009
This book reminded me a bit of the Cal Leandros series by Rob Thurman (Nightlife: Cal Leandros, Book 1, Moonshine: Cal Leandros, Book 2, Madhouse: Cal Leandros, Book 3, Deathwish). Which, since I love that series, pretty much guaranteed that I was going to like this one. :)

Fascinating book with an incredible basis. The second book, Cybermancy, is on my to-buy list for my next purchase.

If you like Rob Thurman's books, check this one out.
Ju Transcendancing
I love the combination of technomancy and fate mythology. This is urban fantasy that actually takes license with the fact that we live and breathe in a technological world - and sometimes doesn't that still seem magical? This book is a favourite re-read of mine, I love the characters - Ravirn is a snarky delight as is his best friend (and web goblin familiar)and their story is highly entertaining. It's light reading, entertaining and a bit fluffy, but it has occasional and worthwhile deeper mome ...more
Christy Stewart
It is a great idea for a story but for heavens sakes...It doesnt follow the plot at all. Its like, "Here is the plot, I'm going to go miles from it and think about my feelings constantly." And for the life of me, I dont know why the author needs to tell you what everyone is wearing in detail. How about this, I'll assume everyone has clothes on until I'm told differently.
Elspeth
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
I started this book in July then set it down to read Ghost Story. I picked it back up today and it was perfect for the mood I am in...sarcastic.
Fun read, I cant wait for the next one to show up in the mail!
Okie
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the combo of magic and tech! I love that magic doesn't negate tech, as is usually the case with books involving magic. I love the twist on Greek mythology. A hero that doesn't seem too high on himself. I plan on reading this series through to the end!
Howard
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A different take on magic and mythology. Laced with Greek mythology and computer geek terminology it was a well paced adventure.
Kat Mandu
Jun 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kat Mandu says...

If you like these two things, you’ll love this series. First off: hilarious, horny, and sometimes brooding heroes like Ravirn, who sweeps the story away with his goofy charm and impeccable habits of getting into trouble. Secondly, if you’re a fan of great storytelling and world building, you’ll love this Greek gods meets cyber magic.

Ravirn is a child of the Greek fates and with the help of his trusted AI/familiar/portable laptop Melchior, he’s been able to get himself out of a l
T.J. Day
Jun 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice, fun read and one of my favorite male-character personalities. I like them full of innuendos, a little bit slow, dark and brooding, and cocky. Ravirn is no exception. There are times when he knows he's a badass and then there are times he needs a little confidence booster. Either way, he's a goofball and enjoyable to listen to.

The only reason I gave this four stars was because I had some difficulty keeping up with all the computer lingo. The idea of cybermagic has always seemed cool to m
Anneke
In one word: Fun, Fun, Fun. A total different kind of fantasy, mixing IT lingo and geekism with Greek mythology.
Quite a few things about "WebMage" remind me of Aaronovitch's PC Peter Grant stories, like the voice of the I-narration, the talented rookie stumbling around and messing up a lot, the strong female secondaries (aside from a few goons we have a nearly fully female antagonist crew here!) and of course the breakneck, breathless speed of action.
Our leading bad boy Ravirn is much more of a
Bearded_Brewer
May 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi-fantasy
This is a story that takes place in modern times and assumes that all of greek mythology is true. Then it tries to find a way to mix that mythology with an internet/web based magic system. The rules of said magic system are never fully explained, and I'm not sure the author ever mapped them out for himself, which is fine if it is possible to figure it out in context. Maybe I'm not that quick, who knows.
All in all it was an interesting read, and I wouldn't tell anyone not to read it. However, It
Eric
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I feel that the core of the book, the blending of magic and technology is very poorly done. Like the gimmicky titles of all the books in the series like: Cybermancy, CodeSpell, SpellCrash etc... indicate, McCullough is trying to present to us a world where technology is the primary conduit for magic. Sadly, this concept is handled poorly, almost ridiculously so: Goblin avatars that turn into laptops, spells that use URL-like addresses, Webtrolls, that sort of stuff (and frankly the list goes on ...more
Lori
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
This one is a hot mess - one of those books you randomly pick up and read for four consecutive hours, cry at the end, and then can't quite figure out why you liked it in retrospect. It's a mixture of fae, Greek mythology, and computers (living ones) with a penchant for sarcasm. The combination works but not without giving the reader large chunks of exposition, thanks to a general lack of classical education nowadays. Still, it was enjoyable, and the "hero" didn't really get the girl in the end, ...more
Elisa
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Hacking into the world net that the gods use...geeky and magical at the same time. A little confusing because there is a lot going on, but Raviern is a child of the Fates, he is an awesome hacker though he has a tough time coding. There is an issue of free will, dragon viruses, chaos vs order, it is nuts and a heck of a good time. I found these books at the used bookstore and I can't wait to read the next one. Our MC catches very few breaks, he is lucky to have such good friends...
Tasula
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book updates magic and old gods with computers- so laptops turn into webgoblins, and the Goddess of Discord is an expert programmer. It has a Dresdenish or Kevin Hearne's Hounded feeling- our hero is always in trouble but trying to to the right thing, so he has a lot of friends and allies to help with the large number of enemies after his head. Very engaging.
Jeremy
Nov 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Great book. I love it because it is apparent the author really knows about programming. So many times I get frustrated at sci-fi authors who probably needed someone to help them install/run Word, and who use the wrong terms in their books.
Susinok
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Cyberpunk meets Greek Mythology. So very cool!
Catherine
Oct 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
A fun fast ride, thoroughly enjoyable. I particularly liked the notion of computer programmer monks who chant in binary. :-)
Tijani  Kay Aderemi
A universe where deities and demi-gods control the destiny of men without their knowledge.
Magic, coding and hard techno science combined into something beautiful.
Space travel between worlds and universes.
A geeky protagonist with a a beautiful lover on a mission to protect freewill in the world.

I think this had all the makings of a fantastic world , but the story that sticks the plot together isnt that great.
Ravirn is funny and daring and a wizard hacker, but somehow I just didn't feel him as I
Vernon Burt
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
On the plus side, it's a fun romp with some interesting aspects of modern Faye mythology present although the overall mythology is a blended mess. The hacker/programmer/technology aspect is purely in the Hollywood realm. I found that a little disappointing since the idea of technology blended with magic was the hook that got me to pick the book up.

It's better to think of this as an off-brand version of Harry Dresden. with a bit more of the humor and an interesting take on the magical history of
Noah King
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Interesting concept... Greek mythological characters have been changing with the times, and now practice a type of magic that is enhanced and strengthened by computer code. The protagonist, a descendent of one of the Fates, is a young sorcerer/hacker who finds himself stumbling deep into a battle between order and chaos; one in which both sides want him dead. Engaging and clever, the story moves forward at a satisfying clip as he tries to stay one step ahead of his pursuers. I'll definitely keep ...more
Nate
Nov 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I think this would have been a better book 20 years ago. Making up fake technology that doesn't really do anything more than the real technology doesn't make for a great story. I think if I knew absolutely nothing about technology I might have been a bit more impressed. But the story was clunky. He just jumped in listing off all sorts of fake magical crap, I felt like I would have to take notes and ask a bunch of questions to really know what all that stuff he made up was. Then top it off with t ...more
Kayden Anderson
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
The beginnig is the best part but by the end i simply didnt care about a character who only succeeds based on the fact that he is the main character. Plot armor is infact not a story telling principle i endorse. That said its all Ravern seemed to have in the way of dying a most spectacular death that he seemed to rush and lust tward. Pick it up if you want a fantasy tech novel but if youre looking for a great story with engaging characters look elswere
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
suggest books similar to webmage series 4 16 Apr 25, 2019 02:56PM

• A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Dog Days (Dog Days, #1)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Death Most Definite (Death Works Trilogy #1)
  • Sins & Shadows (Shadows Inquiries, #1)
  • The Blood Books, Volume III (Omnibus: Blood Debt / Blood Bank)
  • Dead To Me (Simon Canderous, #1)
  • Desdaemona (Desdaemona,#1)
  • Master of None (Gavyn Donatti, #1)
  • Midnight Taxi Tango (Bone Street Rumba, #2)
  • Black Magic Woman (Quincey Morris, #1)
  • Zero Sight (Zero Sight, #1)
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • That Thing at the Zoo (Deacon Chalk: Occult Bounty Hunter #0.5)
  • Imperium (Caulborn #1)
  • Nylon Angel (Parrish Plessis, #1)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Strange Fates (Nyx Fortuna, #1)
Kelly McCullough was raised and educated by free-range hippies. Later he received a degree in theater and worked in improv. That combination was the perfect preparation for his current career as author and cat herder. He lives and writes in the Midwest with his physics-professor wife, Laura. He enjoys hiking and biking and his role as self-heating cat furniture. He is the author of the WebMage and ...more

Webmage (5 books)
  • Cybermancy (Webmage, #2)
  • Codespell (Webmage, #3)
  • MythOS (Webmage, #4)
  • Spellcrash (Webmage, #5)
“I may not have any power over it at the moment, but at some point that must change. I can be very patient. I am the end of all things, nephew mine. I shall be the last. When birth has ended, I wil cut Clotho's cord, and she will be no more. The time will come when every last thread has been measured, and I will snip Lachesis from the great weave. In the end only Death and I will remain. Then I will cut his thread, and it will be me alone. With my last strength I will close the shears on my own life. I am the end of everything, including you.” 14 likes