Start by marking “Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1

Superman: Grounded, Vol. 1 (Superman: Grounded #1)

3.38  ·  Rating details ·  617 Ratings  ·  68 Reviews
After the devastating events of WAR OF THE SUPERMEN, Superman looks to reconnect with the roots of his battle for Truth, Justice and the American Way. “Grounded” begins as Superman visits Philadelphia – on foot – then continues in a small town in Ohio where, as in many towns, a number of its residents are from other places. But when The Man of Steel discovers that there ar ...more
Published August 9th 2011 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

Jeff
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comix
How do you have Superman, the most powerful being on Earth, deal with the issues of the everyman and make it interesting? Other writers have tried with varying degrees of success: John Byrne, Grant Morrison, etc. Now, J. Michael Straczynski wants to give it a whirl. It seems that Superman has lost touch with the issues of the common man after the mega-galactic New Krypton storyline, so he decides to take a walk across America, kind of like that old TV show Highway to Heaven but on steroids.

A wor
Anne
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I'm torn. I usually like Straczynski's writing, the premise sounded good, and the cover looked interesting. So I really wanted to love it.
There were moments in Grounded that were pretty cool, but in the end I felt unsatisfied.
Why, you ask? Because after a while, the plot and Superman's actions seemed to mirror another much loved character.

Run, Forest! Run!

As the title implies, Superman basically grounds himself, and decides to, er, walk across America. It was supposed to be a way for Forest the
StoryTellerShannon
The creator of Babylon 5, J. Michael Straczynski, gives us his take on a Superman tale. After a great catastrophe Superman goes into deep reflection. Some would say it's depression and/or denial, especially Batman. Regardless, Superman decides to walk the USA reacting to the moment and helping people with small problems. There are some challenging moments in here that ask some thought provoking questions such as: if a superhero can't be everywhere what good are they to those hurt? How can a supe ...more
Ashley
It's been a LONG time since I've read a Superman comic, and this happened to be sitting next to Ms. Marvel when I went to pick it up at the library, so I checked it out. It was . . . interesting. It had the typical JMS positives and negatives. Some parts were great, and some parts were soooo not.

Actually, the last time I read a Superman comic was the wedding issue, what, back in 1997? I think that might have been the last time I read a DC comic as well . . . nope. A friend gave me some Batman c
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
I was really looking forward to reading this book from this acclaimed author, but instead of taking one of the greatest characters ever made and making him more incredible, he had Superman wander around the country feeling sorry for himself. A total waste of time.
Josh Epstein
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
In preparation for the end of the world in 2012, last September, DC Comics relaunched their entire line of monthly comics.

This marked the official end of the Post Crisis DC Universe and the beginning of the New 52.

One thing lost in the shuffle was the controversial and widely panned final run of Superman, begun by J. Michael Straczynskyi.

In Grounded, JMS looked to bring the character, quite literally, back to Earth.

Rather than spending the final 12-issue arc of his career dealing with world
Adam Graham
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Action Comics #1, one of the first villains Superman took on was a wife-beater. The early Superman Golden Age stories introduced us to a guy who was concerned about real people and their very real problems. In one early adventure, he helped a down on his luck boxer come back. In another, he took the place of a man who was being pushed around constantly to help him a chance at success and happiness. In one unforgettable story, Superman helped a little boy at an orphanage ran by an abusive head ...more
Emmett Spain
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the Superman story I’ve been waiting for.

After enduring the New Krypton saga (which certainly had its moments), I was left with a crushing understanding: none of the stories present were really about Superman. They were stories with Superman in them, sure, but essentially they were stories about everyone else and their struggles, and whilst Superman had to face down and endure his own struggles, the stories seemed to revolve around the poor guy getting punched in the head far too much (a
Blindzider
Feb 14, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed the first half of this. Superman basically decides to walk across America in order to get a better understanding first hand of the problems facing regular Americans. He tackles some drugs in a neighborhood and more eye-opening, a suicide attempt. This approach really represented JMS' typical "grounding" of superheroes. He always has a way to write them as if they were real, in today's world, and have characters talk, and react, and ask questions like real people would. I quite e ...more
Kyle
Sep 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dcu, worst-books
Horrible.
It read like a highschool kid was writing a Superman story about the importance of staying in school, not doing drugs, and not bullying. No style. No finesse. Terrible artwork (the absolute worst version of a Louis Lane I have ever seen). Nothing significant happens in this volume that relates to the universe it is set in, so you won't miss anything if you skip over it. Cliche after cliche after cliche.

I think this goes down as one of the worst comics I have ever read.
You know why Sup
Paul
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Superman's desire to connect to humanity is a double-edged sword. It is his strength and potentially his weakness. This volume touches upon that duality as he seeks to "get his head on straight" after the events of New Krypton and War of the Supermen. The cross country walk reminds him of the crucial balance needed between persuasion and action, diplomacy and fighting.
Amanda
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It looks like I'm in the minority again but I thought it was really powerful.. Superman doubting his power and his purpose.. a different take on the Man of Steel.
Zachary King
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Mopey take on Superman. I get what JMS was trying to do by giving a grounded take on the Man of Steel, but it's pretty joyless and lacks the moral clarity of the character. G Willow Wilson turns up for interlude issues that don't do much for Lois but do a nice job with Perry.
Tony
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Most people are complaining about this story to me was good enought. Maybe because I have not read any Superman story in a long time and I don't know the good ones. If anyone can suggest me good Superman stories I would be glad.
Cara
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. A lot. Less action, more psychology and emotion.
Ottery StCatchpole
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I would like to begin by saying that I'm a fan of Mr. Straczynski, if not his opinions on Alan Moore's position on Before Watchmen. That said, I have to say I liked this book but I wanted to love it. I think the realization came to me half way through the trade that this was not an adventure story but rather a long philosophical meandering story about character and a kind of study about what makes Superman, the iconic figure that he is.
All of which is lovely, but at the same time it is a glari
Nicholas
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Thank god for J. Michael Straczynski. After the New Krypton debacle, I'd just about given up on the main storyline, but Grounded restores my faith. After spending much time away from Earth trying to get his new planet up and running, Superman returns to a humanity that questions his loyalty, his motives and whether or not they need a super-powered man with a target on his back roaming their cities and coddling their children. To make amends and to ground himself again, Superman takes a walk. But ...more
Luke
Dec 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Originally posted at http://wp.me/p4Wvzn-uB

Superman Grounded follows the events of the New Krypton story-arc and is set in the days following the devastating 100 minute war depicted in War of the Supermen.

Having returned once again to Earth, Superman finds that the general public is a little wary of him, even distrustful, given what they’ve seen of Kryptonians over the past few days…one could hardly blame them.

During a press conference Superman is approached by a distraught woman who slaps him a
Scott Lee
May 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm writing a single review here for both volumes of Straczynski's "Grounded" arc. I really enjoyed the story line here. I think it must be much easier to dive into the psyche's of the "tortured" heroes than it is with those who seem as well-adjusted as Superman, because we see this all the time with Batman/Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker/Spiderman, etc. and done with great effectiveness. However, one rarely sees any kind of real plumbing of psychological depths with Superman or Captain America. Appar ...more
Danny
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Joel Griswell
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
JMS again tackles the Man of Steel, though a far leap from "Earth One", this is back to classic Superman mode. He does in this narrative though, provide an interesting new twist to the legendary hero. As the title says, Superman is literally grounded here. Although I have not read all the arcs leading up to this point in the continuity, Superman has returned to Earth crestfallen after the loss of New Krypton, and the human citizens feel betrayed, so Supes decides to trek across America, by foot, ...more
Gavin
Jun 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I enjoyed this Superman book quite a bit, mainly because most of the Superman books I've read in the last year or so have been so over-the-top or otherworldly, you seem to forget that Superman was raised as Clark Kent, a Midwestern kid with 'wholesome values'. This seems to make Superman a 'Man of the People' who starts just walking across the US, running into daily life and regular people with average non-super problems. I felt way more interest in this Superman than the one who fights super-al ...more
Shaun
Jun 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Chris Aylott
Jun 01, 2015 rated it liked it
The first problem any Superman writer has to solve is, "How do you make the Big Blue Invulnerable Boy Scout interesting?" Fortunately, Straczynski is a life-long Superman fan and knows the answer to that question: tell the stories about the man, not the Super. His short run on the title brings Superman down to Earth in the most literal way possible, sending him on a walk across the country that echoes Denny O'Neil and William Least Heat Moon.

I don't read a lot of Superman, but this is the kind o
Hilary
Jun 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
I don't really read graphic novels but my husband said I had to read this one, so remember that I'm more used to reading books with far more words than pictures as you read this review...

The story seemed very bitty. It jumped around a lot, and didn't seem to have much tying things together except for the same pictures of Superman looking at that photo as a sort of chapter break. Batman and The Flash make brief and random appearances but again aren't really tied in.

It's almost like reading a shor
Carl
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I should've read a more action packed Superman story right before I read this one. However, I liked it and it showed Superman really dealing with the common man. There were a couple of cool lines like:

Superman (speaking on a situation that he resolved): All it needed.. all it really needed -- was someone, anyone, with a pair of eyes, a voice, a phone -- and ten cents' worth of compassion.

And,

Lois (when speaking about Superman just coming from another situation): You could've defended yourself,
Sean Kottke
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, 2013
A much-reviled storyline that I nevertheless enjoyed, this one returns Superman to the populist defender of the downtrodden that he started as in 1938 and sometimes loses sight of in the more cosmic conflicts in which he's called to serve. The stories explore his limitations and how ordinary people react to them. When gods walk among us, why do bad things happen to good people? What are our responsibilities to maintain truth and justice in such a world? These are eternal questions, which I enjoy ...more
Victor Orozco
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
After the events of New Krypton and the war on Earth, reading this story was a very hopeful look into what makes Superman a man. He does kick butt and fight monsters and aliens but in this story he goes out of his way to help people.

He does it for himself, but also for the others. Because other than their saving their physical lives I do believe Superman should be there to lead people to better their lives. Becoming the light to show the way.

This story reminds me of the charity of George Reeves,
Keith
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to be honest- I don't care for Superman. He was always too powerful for my liking. I found it hard to pull for the guy who could do just about everything. In Grounded we find Supes not being so super. After a bad stretch Superman decides to stop flying and walk like an average guy, connectinvg with his fellow citizens. He saves some and enlightens some people along the way making him seem less out of touch.

In all of his superness you forget that dudes married.Lois is there for him like Ma
Jacob
Jul 31, 2013 rated it did not like it
Public library copy.

On paper written as anything but a comic book, it may have seemed like a good idea. However, as far as comic books go the story and execution aren't very interesting. There just wasn't a good enough reason to have a powered Superman walk the earth.

Upon reading the book I learned JMS didn't write every chapter of this book as G. Willow Wilson wrote 2 chapters/issues. Sadly the results were even worse than his sedate efforts with strong emphasis on soap opera and no Superman. A
  • Superboy: The Boy of Steel
  • Rocketeer Adventures Volume 1
  • Captain America, by Ed Brubaker, Volume 1
  • Generation Hope: The Future's a Four-Lettered Word
  • Truth: Red, White, and Black
Joseph Michael Straczynski (born July 17, 1954), known professionally as J. Michael Straczynski and informally as Joe Straczynski or JMS, is an American writer and television producer. He works in films, television series, novels, short stories, comic books, and radio dramas. He is a playwright, a former journalist, and author of The Complete Book of Scriptwriting. He was the creator and showrunne ...more
More about J. Michael Straczynski

Superman: Grounded (2 books)
  • Superman: Grounded, Vol. 2