Start by marking “Nick Demske” as Want to Read:
Nick Demske

Nick Demske

"Nick Demske writes from culture like the Hollywood version of a rebellious slave, the role shredding off him, culture's synthetic exemplary tales shredding and piling up on the floor of the projector room."—Joyelle McSweeney

His name is "a transcendant uber-obsenity that can be understood universally by speakers of any language."

Published October 1st 2010 by Fence Books

To ask other readers questions about Nick Demske, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nick Demske

J.A.
Feb 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was enchanted by the aggressive nature of these poems, their accusatory stance. Really inventive and super enjoyable to read.
elizabeth
Jan 10, 2011 added it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Below is the Poets & Writers profile that compelled me to purchase this book (copied from this blog; thanks for typing it out, Sandra Beasley) immediately. I am glad I did, and I especially love his advice:

NICK DEMSKE
Book: NICK DEMSKE

Time Spent Writing the Book: Two Years.

Number of Contests Entered: "About ten. I feel lucky the number is so small."

Sample: "In every sumo, there's a little bulimic awaiting a glorious purge." ("Tragic Songstress")

Source of Inspiration: "My mother died of breas
Liz McLaughlin
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I am in love with Nick Demske, or, in other words: I have been Nick Demsked. This surprising series of sonnets is hypercontexualized in the now, is fresh and real. By no means boring poetry.

Nick Demske made me laugh out loud enough that I had to read the poems out loud to others so they could laugh as well. His work is concurrently gripping, hilarious, heartbreaking. He connects with you, gets inside your head, and guides you along the pages. You will be surprised, disgusted, and moved.

It is m
Ryan  Smith
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it
If I wanted 'clever' play with cliche and idiom I'd go watch really bad poetry slam performances on YouTube.
Danielle
Mar 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
Ugh, hipsters shouldn't write poems.
Avery Ferin
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Weird. Brash. Wonderfully appalling.
Donna
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I was prepared to be confused by this book, having heard Nick Demske read from his self-titled collection Nick Demske, winner of the Modern Poetics Prize from Fence Books in 2010. His numerous pop culture references and mind-boggling twists and turns in thought may at first seem haphazard or difficult to follow. His passionate reading style, however, won me over, and I was curious to see what the book had to offer.

I am glad that I did. Reading the book brings the poems to new light. The poems a
Jeffrey Wright
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Between the sublime and the subversive, between the crack and the cracked, comes a rollicking new voice. Writing with a shotgun, Nick Demske hits the target. In fact, he obliterates it. His lines are bloody pellets plucked out of his prey. He makes direct contact. “I write death letters to everyone. Indiscriminate.” Scattered as that may seem, Demske’s eponymous debut of nouveau sonnets holds together in surprising ways, both traditional and innovative.

An inveterate wiseacre and skilled punster,
Ryo Yamaguchi
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic exploration of the profane, abject, and vulgar via forced sonnets that feel rather like a corpse being stuffed back into a live body. One of the best displays of the excising of language, based on language cliches, ephemera (advertising, phone messages, etc), and their frenetic reworking--language as excrement, the sloughed off. Julia Kristeva eat your ass out. Paired finely with moments of startling imagery and sound: "Cup full of athlete, / Spilling. Huffing mouth-to-mouth at a carri ...more
Dave
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Plucking the shards from his young body, licking the lacerations, Nick Demske fashions a glowing golden mosaic describing painfully exposed segments of his life, and observations of an ailing planet, in a manner both humorous, shocking, and wise. Written in a post-apocalyptic shaman's hallucinogenic vision of the future by looking through a magnifier at the present, Nick at times walks us through Hell, a tongue-in-cheek tour guide who doesn't flinch or whitewash the human experience.
Huffing life
Chris Schaeffer
May 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I was advised not to read this entire book in one sitting, but I did anyway. It was a little overwhelming, then a little tedious, then a little UNDERwhelming. I feel like if I read it again, on short subway trips, or during lunch breaks, I would dig it more, its kind of fratty humor and aggressive take on de Copia and all that.
david
Dec 11, 2012 added it
at its high marks, Demske's book can fuck with anything coming out of poetry right now. but where the style fails, boy it's rough. odd to me that joyelle mcsweeney picked this as the fence award winner, as it just seems that it could have... it feels like a demo tape from Biggie, in ways.
E
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Poetry that somehow leaves you peeing pearls of sweat.
Kelsey
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is the shit. In a really good way.
Nicola
May 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not my cup of shit.
Michael
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My biggest criticism/complaint of this book is the way it sits funny on my bookshelf.

Fantastic poems, though. Exciting, risky, and funny as hell.
Melanie Page
Patrick Kieffer
Jul 04, 2016
Natalie
Jun 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Super interesting and very innovative.
r k