Start by marking “Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms” as Want to Read:
Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms

Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
She Broke an Ancient Tradition by Falling in Love

Kanno Masayo, Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms, is the loveliest and most glamorous geisha in all of Japan. Dick Seaton is a shy, handsome American whose business takes him to Japan to close a very big deal. In violation of a timeless taboo, Dick and Kanno spend slow, tantalizing days falling in love.

Then Dick discovers t
Hardcover
Published September 1st 1978 by Brook House Pub (first published January 1st 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms

Kate Quinn
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is obscure and difficult to find, but a must for anyone who loved Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha." The plot is conventional enough - westerner enchanted and transformed by the mysteries of the east - but sympathetic characters and gentle humor make it a delightful read. Richard Seaton is a shy and awkward engineer from Boston, sent to Japan on business and horrified to be stepping so far out of his cautious comfort zone. But his particular brand of formal courtesy, regarded as la ...more
Jill Hadden
Sep 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I first read this novel back in the late '60s or early '70s. As a romance, it is one of my favorites, and I have reread it many times. As the 'novel' as grown with me, I have become more and more aware of something.
John Ball's most famous book, "In the Heat of the Night", dealt with murder but also, in equal measure, with prejudice. In the '60s, that was a major concern.
"Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms" is first and foremost a love story but it, too, addresses prejudice and the misconceptions
Pat Cummings
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
"Miss One Thousand Spring Blossoms" can be read with enjoyment on several levels, as a romance, as a cultural odyssey, or even as a clever presentation of mid-20th-century industrial practices in Japan. It succeeds on all those levels, but my favorite theme is the growth of the American protagonist Richard Seaton.

The gentle love story between an American engineer encountering a timeless beauty (the geisha whose working name is the title of the book) provides an artful camouflage for the way Seat
Karin
Sep 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So let's see here. An ignorant western guy who is completely naive and inexperienced with women moves to Asia for work. He falls for the first pretty face he sees, but is then easily distracted by several other girls who happen along and are nice to him. He goes from professing his undying love and affection for one girl to proposing marriage to another. No one is really honest with anyone else, whether it's just the ignorance at play or deliberate manipulation. There is absolutely no depth to a ...more
Cathy
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shy, nerdy businessman visits Japan on business, adjusts to a new culture and falls in love. A bit of a period piece, but it holds up well. Worth searching out at library or used book store.
Ehsa
May 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was probably one of the first romances I read, and I did not recognize it as part of the genre at that time. I have always had a weakness for the book. Ball is not known for romances, to the best of knowledge, and it probably would not read as such to people only familiar with today's style. It's base on a true incident, and I find the story touching.
Kim
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction

I loved the story line, rich history of Japan. I learned a lot of their ways and customs. I feel in love with the main character. He was a gentle kind soul. I wish him happiness. It was easy to read and follow. Pleasant. I would highly recommend it. This is not an action story but a love story with culture mixed in.

Amy
May 06, 2010 added it
I liked the book, but not the ending. This is a story about an American engineer from Boston who travels to Japan to meet with a supplier and his encounters with Japanese customs, traditions and women. I would recommend it - especially to my Japan-living friends.
Nani Sela
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
love it!!!!
Winter Sophia Rose
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A Beautiful, Memorable Love Story!
Mylen Anceno
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was actually good. I didn't expect that from a 1960's author. It showed me a glimpse of the whole Geisha business in Japan and about international love as well :)
Greg
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
A nice love story about a businessman who finds love in a culture (Post-war Japan) he is unfamiliar with.
Carrie
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was an obscure little book my mother and I ran across years ago. It was really really good. I'd love to find a copy one day because I loaned mine out, and now it's gone.
Yostgrade7
Mar 30, 2017
Pat Cummings
Jul 10, 2017
Ellen
rated it did not like it
Nov 13, 2009
Barbie
rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2011
Cathy Geha
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
John Dudley Ball writing as John Ball, was an American writer best known for mystery novels involving the African-American police detective Virgil Tibbs. He was introduced in the 1965 In the Heat of the Night where he solves a murder in a racist Southern small town. It won the Edgar Award for Best First Novel from the Mystery Writers of America and was made into an Oscar-winning film of the same n ...more
More about John Dudley Ball...