Start by marking “The Land of Mango Sunsets” as Want to Read:
The Land of Mango Sunsets

The Land of Mango Sunsets

Dorothea Benton Frank writes highly addictive tales of life's conundrums with hilarity and heat. Meet Miriam Elizabeth Swanson, in a full-blown snit, buoyed by a fabulous cast that runs the gamut from insufferable to wonderful. First is the arrival of Liz Harper, Miriam's tenant from Birmingham, who sets a new cycle in motion. Her other tenant, Kevin, stalwart companion ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 528 pages
Published April 10th 2007 by HarperLuxe (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Land of Mango Sunsets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of Mango Sunsets

Start your review of The Land of Mango Sunsets
Andrea Strickland
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It is no big secret why I love Dorothea's novels. Most of them take place along the South Carolina coast which is where my heart longs to be each and every day. But, the characters she creates in this most perfect setting are amazing. At the end of every one of her books, I almost feel as if the main characters are real people in my life.

I put off reading The Land Of Mango Sunsets because it isn't part of "The Lowcountry Novels" and the synopsis says that is takes place in New York City.
Alison
Mar 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Thoroughly enjoyed this was a book of relationships, of honesty, of pride, and of knowing oneself. The messages the book sent were forthright (don't neglect to get mammmograms, colonoscopies when due) and subtle: take control and grab all the happiness you can; isn't it amazing what could happen when you "laid down our sword and opened your arms"; don't let anybody or anything come between you and your family. Lessons we can all learn from. Through the characters, we learn how to be a good ...more
Ramona
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent read. A story of female empowerment with just the right amount of charming southern-ness. I was captivated from the start only to pick up in intensity the more I read. The characters were interesting and quirky and totally endearing. I laughed and I cried. A must read.
bookczuk
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
Read this on the plane to California for my mother's Memorial. She died a month ago frommetastatic breast and colon cancer.

I'd heard this book was a bi different from Dotty Frank's usual books. Yes and no. A woman of a certain age still runs home to mama and finds her own brand of truth and honesty. A little bit of frivolity, too. I liked how Miriam turned into Mellie. Miriam was a bain in the arse; Mellie is a work in progress. But some one should have warned me how close certain aspects of
Sharon Thomas
Jul 13, 2014 rated it did not like it
I think I need to skip the book recommendations in Real Simple and Coastal Living!!
Sue
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summer is not summer without reading a D Benton Frank novel! And boy was this such a great read!!! This book was sitting on my shelf for almost 10 years - why oh why did I not read it? I have no answers except to say I am glad I finally did. It reads so so smoothly - and it will make you laugh and cry with such emotions! Her characters are wonderful! If you need to get off the major literary or suspense reading track - pick up one of her books, I do not think you will be disappointed!!! ...more
Diane
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Basically, it's a sweet book.
Oakley-Raine
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
A delightful read with many laugh out loud moments.
Alyce Joines
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
If your love for the Dorothea Benton Frank books comes from your love of or facination with the South Carolina Lowcountry or the ocean settings, this book will disappoint you. Almost the entire book takes place in New York City during a cold, snowy winter with only brief excursions to Sullivan's Island where Miriam (Mrs. Know It All on her way to self-discovery) visits her mother (Miss Josephine). You won't catch up with characters from previous books in this one, but you will get a dose of ...more
Linda Hart
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Quick, light, humorous and predictable romantic fluff about midlife crisis, strengthening family relationships, importance of forgiveness, and reinventing oneself after divorce, life threatening illness, sexual abuse, death &/or other life crises, all of which occur in this very short novel. Unfortunately it tends to give a stamp of approval to casual & unprotected extra marital sex and would hardly inspire any reader to strengthen or renew any spiritual or religious affiliation. ...more
Joanne
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-books
I found the storyline confusing. One minute Miriam/Mellie is in New York with no money selling family heirlooms lamenting over her ex “Charles is a horse’s ass” husband while trying to keep in with the rich crowd but traveling on a whim to Sullivan’s Island to spend time with her Mom or newly found man friend Manny (who also turns out to be a horse’s ass) or Harrison Ford (not the actor). There was some nice family connection with her son’s wedding and mother’s illness. I understand she was a ...more
Julie
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
I had just come off of reading a book I loved, so I had a little rough start with this one ... I was into it about 60-65 pages before it really got a hold of me ... and then I quite enjoyed it. I liked the characters in the story - the end was rushed, but it tied everything up in a nice little package and when I read a "mindless read" that's what I like. This was certainly not a serious read - but a fun one.
SouthernGirl
Jan 19, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Southern fiction
Fast-paced book about the life and transformation of recently-divorced, transplanted New Yorker, Miriam Swanson. I always enjoy Dottie's books and this one was full of quirky characters ~ especially liked the trash-talking parrot, Harry! It didn't spend as much time as I would have liked in South Carolina, so I really didn't get a feel for the people or culture there. Also, had a predictably sad ending for one of the characters.
Jo
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Not a typical Frank story as most of it takes place in New York City. I keep longing for her to hurry up get back down south. Mellie is a middle aged divorced estranged mother who puts her life back together with the help of her friends. Loved the fact that all her NYC friends were originally from the the South!
Cathee
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although I've read quite a few of Frank's Low Country Books, this was by far the most fun. The main character's personality is a mix of sarcasm, slight bitterness and great humor. I really enjoyed the book, laughing often and recommending it to friends.
Virginia
Great read. I do love Ms. Frank's characters. They are true to life. She has a great sense of humor.
Jan
Apr 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: chicklit
A quick read while away from home...mind candy. Wouldn't everyone love to have a friend like Kevin, a
mother like Miss Josie and a bird like Henry.
Debra Thompson
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Who couldn't love a character nicknamed Petals? So far, this is my favorite of her books. The transformation of Miriam was so much fun to read.
Laurie
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach, fiction
slow but likeable start to the book.I enjoy D.B. Frank books,but I have to agree with the comments on the cover,this is her best so far. Enjoyable summer read. Nice summer reading.
Pam
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
My second of her books. I see a pattern. The mundane backdrop for this was polishing silver, jilted wives, philandering husbands, wayward young women...but once the pattern is set, the tea service is knocked over and it's mayhem. Trying to picture it, I see slapstick and start laughing. But the upset drives the plot towards the sure ending of happily ever after. For most--not all of her characters.
Frank has a sense of justice that's simple and southern. There are good people--who are complex but
Eliza
Jul 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I usually dip into a crime solving, murder mystery I can binge in a few days. This past book I read was recommended to me by my 80 something year old co worker. I was hesitant about it because it’s a love story, and I started to hate reading love stories somewhere in my late teens because it always made me wish I had something that was too unique and special for real life. This book took me the longest to read, I would read about a chapter or two a week. It took me a very long time to really ...more
Teresa
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick "read"/listen book. I enjoy Dorothea Benton Frank books about Sullivan's Island. This one didn't keep my attention as much as some of her other books, but it was still good. The family relationship dynamics was interesting. And Miriam is a spunky gal and the gentleman, Kevin, who rents a room in her house from her, is truly a good friend.

I think this book does a great job of encouraging us to take a look at our relationships and evaluate how they can be improved. If you take
Lorrie
Dec 02, 2019 rated it it was ok
If you like Hallmark movies then this author is for you. It was a silly, light read with the main character completely transforming herself from a bitter, divorced shrew into the bloom of a rose in a relatively short period of time. The message and reminder to make your own choices/life is always a good one (and one I can appreciate right now); however, her transition was too abrupt to ring true and not be rather ridiculous in the process. More power to her though. May we all become better ...more
Ada Iaboni
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very good story of self knowledge, coming to terms with grown children, letting go of unhealthy old relationships, and love.
Dorothea manages to get the older women in her books, involved with a great new man.
I can tell you from experience, they don't come around in the real world. Most are jerks that never got
past their high school behavior. But it's nice to read stories that give you some hope.
Abby Heffron
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, light read. Didn’t rock my world, but it did hold my interest and I was invested in the characters and their relationships to a point which is always how I gauge my enjoyment. This was a good palette cleanser between some of the heavier books I typically read. I enjoyed the story, although it did have a few predictable bits. I will definitely check out some other books by this author in the future.
Tina  Viscusi
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kept me engaged over the course of weeks- couldn't wait to see what became of the characters. The main character certainly went through quite the metamorphosis and I totally got her side of things going through a divorce myself that was quite painful and children seemingly taking sides....

The ending was probably the best when she finally got with her man!
Diane Harris
Aug 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved that this wasn't a love story but a story about a character trying to figure out her life when she feels she has none of value. Lots of interesting characters, e.g. Harry the bird, Kevin the neighbor, Harrison the 'friend'. A beautiful depiction of letting go and restoration of relationships.
Tiffany Manning
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
The story is about a woman named Miriam who after several trips back to the south, she began to see the new "Mellie" arrive and reconnect with her mother and her friends.
A light and entertaining read, but quickly forgettable. Frank never really develops any of the characters enough to make them believable.
Donna Vaal
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This isn’t typically my style of book so I want expecting much. However her colorful and rich use of language gave this book a fantastic texture. Every reader will relate in one or more ways this story, that comes alive on paper, deals with. From heartbreak, abuse, friendship, prejudice, family, loss, and love- with the greatest of these being love.
Dalene
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first Dorothea Benton Frank book and it won't be my last. I love books set in a small town, since I live in the complete opposite. The Land of Mango Sunsets was a quick and cute read. Although the cover seems like it is a happy novel, the novel does have some very series moments too. It is worth reading, especially if you can be by a beach or pool.

• Last Light Over Carolina
  • Islands
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Low Country
  • A Lowcountry Wedding (Lowcountry Summer, #4)
  • Sweetgrass
  • The Summer Guests
  • Savannah Breeze (Weezie and Bebe Mysteries, #2)
  • The Sunday Wife
  • Sunset Beach
  • The Fixer Upper
  • The Summer Wind (Lowcountry Summer #2)
  • Up Island
  • Surfside Sisters
  • The Scandalous Summer of Sissy LeBlanc
  • What Happens in Paradise
  • The Oysterville Sewing Circle
  • A Beach Wish
Dorothea Benton Frank was a New York Times best-selling American novelist of Southern fiction. She worked in the apparel industry from 1972 until 1985 and then organized fundraisers as a volunteer, before becoming a novelist.

She is best known as the author of twenty novels placed in and around the Lowcountry of South Carolina.
“knocked” 0 likes