Start by marking “Escape to Freedom” as Want to Read:
Escape to Freedom

Escape to Freedom

(Secret of the Rose #3)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  495 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
For thousands of readers, Michael Phillips has expertly illustrated the grim realities and spiritual challenges of World War II and its aftermath in the first two volumes of The Secret of the Rose series. Imprisoned years before by the Nazis for his Jewish sympathies, Baron von Dortmann has now been rescued by his daughter Sabina. Events take a climatic turn in "Escape to ...more
Published October 28th 1994 by Tyndale House Publishers (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Escape to Freedom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escape to Freedom

Mary Foulger
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved learning about the difficulties Christian face in the communist block. Lots of information, and lots of action in this book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Rachelle Sperling
I am giving this the same review as the first two novels in the series - the story continued to be interesting and I found the spiritual principles in this novel particularly challenging. I especially related to the discussion on lonliness and contentment.

WOW! This book was a lesson in spiritual life set in an interesting historical story. Like with most of Phillips writing, I had to struggle through the first few chapters as I switched gears from the things I normally read to a deeper and I wou
Beverly
Nov 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thankful that I went on to the third in this series. (I have found out since reading the second, that there are actually 4 in total!) This third book was full of spiritual truths, soul searching decisions, and people who willingly laid their lives down for another. I LOVED that the essence of Freedom was deeply discussed as well as the true seeker of Truth who is willing to be convicted and changed by truth rather than simply having the knowledge of truth. This book got back to more of the histo ...more
Brittany
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sabina and her loved ones are still trapped behind the Iron Curtain, and must try to escape before it is too late. Every step is dogged with danger, and old enemies still pursue the family. But God protects and guides them, even in the most terrible situations.
This was a very good book, but I thought it was a bit too drawn out. There were so many side plots and characters, I think it cluttered the story up a bit. I believe that books 2 and 3 should have been condensed and combined, and it woul
Sonya
Like the others in this series, the dialogue outweighed any action. They discussed deeper issues, which I found refreshing, but was frustrated by their length, repetition and sometimes lack of "fiting" with the rest of the context.
Some of the characters were too perfect.

I did enjoy the historical period. Gained a better understanding of WWII times in Europe especially.

I appreciated that though it could be historical romance, the characters exhibited restraint in relationships, the touchy-feeling
Kay M
Jul 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is Book 3 in the wonderful Secret of the Rose Series. What a phenomenal, historic fiction book and series! It is very inspirational and is definitely a book emphasizing faith and trust in God and His Son, Jesus Christ. This is not a fast, easy read, so be prepared to allow ample time for thought in the midst of reading. If you like this type of book, I highly recommend it.
Cheryl
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Christian fiction with suspense, adventure, and romance set in Germany when it is split in two by the Berlin Wall. Continues to expound on the themes of growth as a Christian, God's Fatherhood, and how God draws new believers to Him. It also focuses on faithfulness and freedom, both internal and external.
Kw
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good main story, and others based on true escapes from East Germany and Russia. The barbaric atheist state could hardly have been more brutal and learning the history is heart-wrenching. But we need to know. I don't think they (communists)have changed all that much in their ideology, sadly.
Cathy Ulm
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion to Secret of the Rose

A very enjoyable and yet, thought provoking book. Also, it gave insight into a dreadful time in history in Germany.
Cws
Dec 08, 2008 added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Phi
Bob
Very gripping. It got so exciting at one point I was tempted to look ahead to see how it would end. It was a little long after the climax of the book.
Karol
Aug 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Book 3 in the Secret of the Rose series. More about life in Berlin during the time of the Berlin wall.
Michelle
good but not as exciting as some-lots of good theology detailed
Katharyn Roberts
While at times I felt this was slow, it was worth every word! The airlines themselves, the history, the insight into human nature, it is all very good. Looking forward to number 4.
Margery
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God's faithfulness during the Cold War.
Peggy
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that are a great re-read. Phillips weaves history and scripture into his stories, challenging you to grow in your faith by relating scripture through storytelling.
Marilyn
Aug 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent series
Teresa
Aug 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Review for this series is given on Book #4.
Christy
Helen Fistler
May 24, 2017
Amy Mitchell
Jul 28, 2011
  • White Nights, Red Morning (The Russians, #6)
  • Jerusalem's Hope (Zion Legacy, #6)
  • The Laird's Inheritance
Librarian Note: there is more than one author with this name in the Goodreads database.

Michael Phillips has been writing in the Christian marketplace for 30 years. All told, he has written, co-written, and edited some 110 books. Phillips and his wife live in the U.S., and make their second home in Scotland.

Secret of the Rose (4 books)
  • The Eleventh Hour (Secret of the Rose, #1)
  • A Rose Remembered (Secret of the Rose, #2)
  • Dawn of Liberty (Secret of the Rose, #4)