Start by marking “Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman” as Want to Read:

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,278 Ratings  ·  107 Reviews
When Elizabeth Bennet refuses his hand, Darcy is devastated and makes it his mission to change. By every civility in his power, Darcy slowly tries to win her affections, but Elizabeth is not easily swayed. Darcy vows to unlock the secrets that will make her his. He curses himself for his social awkwardness and appearance of pride, and sets out to right the wrongs he's done ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman

Sheila Majczan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Meredith published her Top 10 P&P variations from 2007 to 2011 and this novel was the only one I had not read…well, I had to correct that omission. I read most of the other longer reviews and found some points with which I have to agree.

First, I have to say that even without finding this criticism in the one review the fact that Darcy kept apologizing over and over again was a little too much for my tastes. And then on top of that we have the fact that those remarks kept being followed
J. W. Garrett
The story picks up as Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam are leaving Kent after his disastrous proposal. Knowing his cousin as he does, Colonel Fitzwilliam questions Darcy until he gets him to reveal what is bothering him. They discuss the issue and conclude that Darcy must go to Bingley and find out if his feelings still favor Miss Bennet, then Darcy needs to find out if Miss Bennet is still favorable toward Mr. Bingley, and then try to get them back to together.

It is a comedy of errors as Darcy ap
Misty
Hmmm... Wrote this review last year but somehow missed posting it here. So:

This one is kind of an odd one for me because I'm really torn.  On the one hand, there were times when I was completely in the flow of things and enjoying it.  It was pleasant and I liked the story and where Hamilton was going with it - even though it is not at all what I thought it was going to be.  I settled in prepared (purely based on the title and my own preconceptions) for the story of Darcy's time away from Lizzie
Namratha
Mr.Fitzwilliam Darcy had it all. Brooding good looks, great wealth and some serious 19th century swag. He could have anything and anyone he wanted. Or so he believed.

When the spirited, opinionated and undeniably lovely Miss.Elizabeth Bennet rejects his proposal, Darcy's legendary pride takes quite a whopping. He realizes that it's time to make some serious amends in his actions and some decided changes in his demeanor.

Mr.Darcy and the Secret of Becoming A Gentleman tells the tale of one of fi
Katherine
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved 90% of the book. I was disappointed when it came to the final few chapters but to me mr.darcy stops being a gentlemen when he succumbs for his desire for Elizabeth before they are married. If you are looking for a clean romance, this isn't it in the last few chapters. If you took out the one scene of desire... it would have been perfect! but that ruined it for me.
Sophie
I was really intrigued by this story and it was one of the ones I was most interested in reading as I always wondered how the story could have panned out had Darcy taken more steps towards showing Elizabeth his true nature, instead of acting upon it when the chance encounter at Pemberley brings them together, or at least act upon some of the criticisms Elizabeth lists off to him in the ill-fated proposal, such as the relations between Bingley and Jane, and I was not disappointed by this story!

Th
Becky R.
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall, Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman was a fun departure from the original story, asking the reader to consider "what if" Darcy decided to change from that first tongue lashing by Elizabeth? Could he have changed and won her over by showing her who he really was? These questions fuel this new story line as Darcy works to show Elizabeth that he isn't the pompous rich guy she has come to believe him. He ends up showing back up at her home to interact with her family and to try ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What if Mr. Darcy, feeling intense despair and heartache over Elizabeth's unceremonious refusal, focused all his energy on repairing the damage he caused to Bingley's relationship with Jane Bennet? Darcy, realizing he was wrong, knows he must now do what is right, otherwise Elizabeth's poor opinion of him will be validated. However, reuniting Bingley with Jane Bennet, means Darcy must return to Meryton and once again encounter Elizabeth Bennet! Unfortunately, Darcy is unsuccessful in persuading ...more
Margaret Minton
May 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
No, no, no! This is not for Pride and Prejudice fans, but rather for bodice-ripper fans. I enjoyed the scenes she imagined to show how Elizabeth got to know Darcy - but felt up-chukky when Elizabeth reveled in "the taut planes of his back" and he spent his time "cupping" various parts of her body. Not even well-written sex. Yuk!
Bath Book Shop
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, chelsea
The Adventures of Chelsea and Her Pride and Prejudice Sequels/Retellings (working title) is long and a bit of a downer. (Want the full story? All my reviews, lots of them scathing, are at my "Jane Austen" shelf.) But this one! This one is good!

I knew there were a couple good P&P retellings, simply because of the volume of titles out there. But they are few and far between, and most fall into the "painfully awkward exposition" or "just because you use the same names doesn't mean they're the s
Miriam Reeves
Nov 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book felt rather modern to be. Their behavior was more 21st century than Pride and Prejudice. I was enjoying the book even with the modern feel but I had a hard time feeling like it was Elizabeth and Darcy. Strangely the way I can tell if I feel they are true to the original characters is if I can hear a british accent in my head when reading. I kept hearing an american accent when I hit half way through the book.

Some of the dialogue between also got very long and unnecessary and I wanted
Chelsea
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I keep waiting for my Pride and Prejudice spell to break, and instead it keeps coming back stronger. Usually a P&P sequel or retelling will be enough to tamp it down for a while, and not in the "satisfied my Darcy craving" way, either. Let's be honest: most P&P retellings/sequels/updates are awful.

This one was quite good.

It's a different take on Mr. Darcy's reformation - what if he decided he needed, first and foremost, to make amends to Jane and Bingley? He determines that the best way
Staci
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Staci by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 2011-reads
My Thoughts: This is what I look for when I want a stellar P&P variation. The story was tender, sweet, funny, original and also had that vibe of Jane Austen running within the pages. To me it is vital that the characters ring true as Austen wrote them...and this author did a fabulous job. I loved all of the roadblocks that Darcy encountered as he tried to make Elizabeth view him in a better light. I thought the author did a great job of bringing in minor characters from the original story an ...more
Amber
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
So disappointed with this book. It was ok at the beginning, got pretty good in the middle, then totally disgusted me at the end. Mr. Darcy turned out to not be a gentleman and poor Jane Austin has got to be turning in her grave. I'll have to read "Pride and Predjudice" soon to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Marilyn
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was hard to get into but picked up with action about half way through.
I don't think Jane "Austin" would like the 20th century morallyity of
this tail. It left me feeling that was Elizabeth was no lady.
Susan
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
After the Hunsford proposal and its rejection Darcy begins to rethink his actions and attitude, starting with Bingley and Jane. But does he make the situation worse, will he and Elizabeth every come to an understanding. There is a lot of dialogue in this story but it kept my interest.
Madenna U
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A road of self discovery for Darcy who eventually wins the girl of course. He gets the girl half way through the book. Not quite all happily ever after, but no conflict.
Kimberly
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-inspired
Another enjoyable read. The author captures the spirit of the characters quite well, and I can't wait to see this one adorning my bookshelf. Highly recommended.
Racheli Zusiman
May 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, british
עלילה חלופית ל"גאווה ודיעה קדומה", יותר פשוטה וארצית וקצת יותר סקסית. קליל ונחמד.
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman

I loved the portrayal of Darcy in this variation of Pride and Prejudice. Once he reflected on his Hunsford proposal, he immediately started to see what Elizabeth Bennet said about him. He has made himself a solemn vow, he will change his ways and win Elizabeth. Bingley has nothing compared to Darcy in the besotted arena. Luckily his letter explaining his two most severe y strikes against his character, begin to change Elizabeth's opinion of Darcy.
Georgiana 1792
Una Variation poco 'varia'

Questo romanzo altro non è se non una Pride and Prejudice Variation – del genere di quelle di Abigail Reynolds, per intenderci (fra parentesi la Reynolds è citata nei ringraziamenti al termine del libro) – con una forte componente psicologica che ci fa vedere il nostro amato Orgoglio e pregiudizio in profondità sia dal punto di vista di Elizabeth che da quello di Darcy; se non fosse che ben presto la trama si discosta dall’originale di Jane Austen. La Hamilton ha infatt
Kim
Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman is the debut novel of author Maria Hamilton. The novel is a what-if variation of Pride and Prejudice (my favorite!) that asks the question, What if Mr. Darcy is so incredibly heartbroken and remorseful about his failed proposal to Elizabeth Bennet that he goes back to Meryton to pick up the pieces of his meddling and prove to Elizabeth that he’s a changed man? Will Elizabeth accept this new Darcy and realize that these changes were made for her?

Th
Loralee
Jan 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had assumed that this was going to be a point-of-view retelling of Pride and Prejudice. So imagine my surprise when it deviated so dramatically from the canon.

This novel picks up in Kent after Darcy's botched proposal to Elizabeth. He laments his error to his cousin Colonel Fitzwilliam. Having taken to heart Elizabeth's censure and dressing down of his character, he is determined to better himself which starts by rectifying the situation between Bingley and Jane.

Here's where things stray sig
Alanna Jenkins
Sep 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mr Darcy And The Secret Of Becoming A Gentleman picks up with Darcy leaving Kent after his botched proposal to Elizabeth; he leaves her in receipt of his explanation letter while he contemplates all that she’s said and just how much of it might have a basis in truth. He soon realises that, though she is misunderstood in some of her facts, her criticisms of his character are well-founded and he makes it his mission to make himself worthy of her love and attention. True to its inspiration, Darcy s ...more
Nickelini
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
[Mr Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman], Maria Hamilton, 2011

Cover comments: Nice enough but pretty ho hum.

Comments: This is what I've learned is called a [Pride and Prejudice] "variation." As someone who thinks P&P might be the most perfect of novels, of course the world doesn't need any other versions. However, I'm glad this exists because it was fun.

The novel starts with Mr Darcy, on his way out of Kent, licking his wounds after Elizabeth Bennet rebuffs him. From there the sto
Anna
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice is a novel rife with misunderstandings, and Maria Hamilton kicks it up a notch in her retelling of the beloved classic novel. In Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman, Mr. Darcy takes to heart the criticisms Elizabeth Bennet threw at him after his very arrogant and condescending marriage proposal. Even though he doesn’t think he has a chance of ever deserving or securing Elizabeth’s love, he sets out to right his wrongs.

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Bec
Kimberly
Aug 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am one of the many, many fans of Miss Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. I also enjoy reading contemporary authors' attempts at P&P variations, what-ifs and continuations. Like many others, I enjoy envisioning ways in which Pride and Prejudice can continue.

My greatest disappointments and greatest criticisms with contemporary authors are when these authors take so much liberty with Miss Austen's characters that they no longer resemble the characters originally created. When the characters
Alethea White-Previs
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: jane-austen
I am an unabashed reader of JA spinoffs and sequel novels. I've never been sure if Jane would approve of the practice, but I've always thought, well, the purists can have their six novels and the remainder; I want MORE. It was with this belief that I began this novel. My favorites in this genre have always been the novels that veered off in unexpected directions. Not that I can classify those directions; I just appreciate the surprise and the creativity of the writers who can picture Lizzy and D ...more
Linda Banche
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing

How could she turn down his marriage proposal? He's Fitzwilliam Darcy, the Master of Pemberley!

And a puffed-up, abrupt, overbearing, proud, haughty, sanctimonious, stiff-rumped know-it-all. How could she ACCEPT his proposal?

Thus begins Maria Hamilton's MR DARCY AND THE SECRET OF BECOMING A GENTLEMAN. We're off and running as Elizabeth's refusal at Hunsford sparks a wake-up call, and Darcy, desperate for her affections, heeds the summons.

He starts by making amends to Bingley and Jane, by admittin
Tashia
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILER ALERT
I read this book months ago, but decided to read it again cause I didn't have any new books yet. Pride & Prejudice is my favorite novel. I have read it multiple times. My favorite film version is the 1995 A&E with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle, which I’ve watched so much I remember some of the lines, lol. Although I’ve never read them, I found the other versions with alternative endings written by other authors fascinating. I don’t usually like the story being rewritten or t
  • Darcy and Fitzwilliam: A Tale of a Gentleman and an Officer (Darcy and Fitzwilliam, #1)
  • A Pemberley Medley
  • The Darcy Cousins
  • The Journey
  • Mr. Darcy's Little Sister
  • Falling for Mr. Darcy
  • Darcy's Decision (Given Good Principles #1)
  • Remembrance Of The Past