Start by marking “Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman” as Want to Read:

Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman

When Elizabeth Bennet refuses his hand, Darcy is devastated and makes it his mission to change. By every civility in his power, Darcy slowly tries to win her affections, but Elizabeth is not easily swayed. Darcy vows to unlock the secrets that will make her his. He curses himself for his social awkwardness and appearance of pride, and sets out to right the wrongs he's done ...more
Published May 1st 2011 by Sourcebooks Landmark

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman

Start your review of Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman
Sheila Majczan
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Meredith published her Top 10 P&P variations from 2007 to 2011 and this novel was the only one I had not read…well, I had to correct that omission. I read most of the other longer reviews and found some points with which I have to agree.

First, I have to say that even without finding this criticism in the one review the fact that Darcy kept apologizing over and over again was a little too much for my tastes. And then on top of that we have the fact that those remarks kept being followed by,
J. W. Garrett
The story picks up as Darcy and Colonel Fitzwilliam are leaving Kent after his disastrous proposal. Knowing his cousin as he does, Colonel Fitzwilliam questions Darcy until he gets him to reveal what is bothering him. They discuss the issue and conclude that Darcy must go to Bingley and find out if his feelings still favor Miss Bennet, then Darcy needs to find out if Miss Bennet is still favorable toward Mr. Bingley, and then try to get them back to together.

It is a comedy of errors as Darcy ap
Misty
Hmmm... Wrote this review last year but somehow missed posting it here. So:

This one is kind of an odd one for me because I'm really torn.  On the one hand, there were times when I was completely in the flow of things and enjoying it.  It was pleasant and I liked the story and where Hamilton was going with it - even though it is not at all what I thought it was going to be.  I settled in prepared (purely based on the title and my own preconceptions) for the story of Darcy's time away from Lizzie
EM Clark
Oct 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2

I have realized my personal rating system is somewhat unconventional, due to my desire to never discourage an author with promise. A ‘1’ for me means it wasn’t what it said (but since there is no zero, I feel my system is justified). I wish there were a ‘6’ for the books that I especially Love, because I hate giving less than a 5 to a book that was good in all respects, except that I didn’t Love it Especially since half star ratings don’t appear that way ‘on the record’

This is one of my 5s,
Namratha
Mr.Fitzwilliam Darcy had it all. Brooding good looks, great wealth and some serious 19th century swag. He could have anything and anyone he wanted. Or so he believed.

When the spirited, opinionated and undeniably lovely Miss.Elizabeth Bennet rejects his proposal, Darcy's legendary pride takes quite a whopping. He realizes that it's time to make some serious amends in his actions and some decided changes in his demeanor.

Mr.Darcy and the Secret of Becoming A Gentleman tells the tale of one of
Katherine
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
I loved 90% of the book. I was disappointed when it came to the final few chapters but to me mr.darcy stops being a gentlemen when he succumbs for his desire for Elizabeth before they are married. If you are looking for a clean romance, this isn't it in the last few chapters. If you took out the one scene of desire... it would have been perfect! but that ruined it for me.
Sophie
I was really intrigued by this story and it was one of the ones I was most interested in reading as I always wondered how the story could have panned out had Darcy taken more steps towards showing Elizabeth his true nature, instead of acting upon it when the chance encounter at Pemberley brings them together, or at least act upon some of the criticisms Elizabeth lists off to him in the ill-fated proposal, such as the relations between Bingley and Jane, and I was not disappointed by this story!

Th
Becky R.
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall, Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman was a fun departure from the original story, asking the reader to consider "what if" Darcy decided to change from that first tongue lashing by Elizabeth? Could he have changed and won her over by showing her who he really was? These questions fuel this new story line as Darcy works to show Elizabeth that he isn't the pompous rich guy she has come to believe him. He ends up showing back up at her home to interact with her family and to try ...more
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
What if Mr. Darcy, feeling intense despair and heartache over Elizabeth's unceremonious refusal, focused all his energy on repairing the damage he caused to Bingley's relationship with Jane Bennet? Darcy, realizing he was wrong, knows he must now do what is right, otherwise Elizabeth's poor opinion of him will be validated. However, reuniting Bingley with Jane Bennet, means Darcy must return to Meryton and once again encounter Elizabeth Bennet! Unfortunately, Darcy is unsuccessful in persuading ...more
Miriam Reeves
Nov 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book felt rather modern to be. Their behavior was more 21st century than Pride and Prejudice. I was enjoying the book even with the modern feel but I had a hard time feeling like it was Elizabeth and Darcy. Strangely the way I can tell if I feel they are true to the original characters is if I can hear a british accent in my head when reading. I kept hearing an american accent when I hit half way through the book.

Some of the dialogue between also got very long and unnecessary and I wanted
Margaret Minton
May 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
No, no, no! This is not for Pride and Prejudice fans, but rather for bodice-ripper fans. I enjoyed the scenes she imagined to show how Elizabeth got to know Darcy - but felt up-chukky when Elizabeth reveled in "the taut planes of his back" and he spent his time "cupping" various parts of her body. Not even well-written sex. Yuk!
Bath Book Shop
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: chelsea, fiction
The Adventures of Chelsea and Her Pride and Prejudice Sequels/Retellings (working title) is long and a bit of a downer. (Want the full story? All my reviews, lots of them scathing, are at my "Jane Austen" shelf.) But this one! This one is good!

I knew there were a couple good P&P retellings, simply because of the volume of titles out there. But they are few and far between, and most fall into the "painfully awkward exposition" or "just because you use the same names doesn't mean they're the same
Chelsea
May 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I keep waiting for my Pride and Prejudice spell to break, and instead it keeps coming back stronger. Usually a P&P sequel or retelling will be enough to tamp it down for a while, and not in the "satisfied my Darcy craving" way, either. Let's be honest: most P&P retellings/sequels/updates are awful.

This one was quite good.

It's a different take on Mr. Darcy's reformation - what if he decided he needed, first and foremost, to make amends to Jane and Bingley? He determines that the best way to make
Talia
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ok but nothing special. I can't say this stood out for me but it was well written.

Reread: I liked it a lot. Good solid JAFF.
Bethany
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: jane-austenesqe
Not a bad P&P variation! I think it was a little long winded at parts, and there were a few time jumps that were hard to follow. Still a nice story, and I enjoyed the authors characterizations. ...more
Staci
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Staci by: Sourcebooks
Shelves: 2011-reads
My Thoughts: This is what I look for when I want a stellar P&P variation. The story was tender, sweet, funny, original and also had that vibe of Jane Austen running within the pages. To me it is vital that the characters ring true as Austen wrote them...and this author did a fabulous job. I loved all of the roadblocks that Darcy encountered as he tried to make Elizabeth view him in a better light. I thought the author did a great job of bringing in minor characters from the original story and gi ...more
Amber
Jan 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
So disappointed with this book. It was ok at the beginning, got pretty good in the middle, then totally disgusted me at the end. Mr. Darcy turned out to not be a gentleman and poor Jane Austin has got to be turning in her grave. I'll have to read "Pride and Predjudice" soon to get the bad taste out of my mouth.
Marilyn
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was ok
It was hard to get into but picked up with action about half way through.
I don't think Jane "Austin" would like the 20th century morallyity of
this tail. It left me feeling that was Elizabeth was no lady.
Susan
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austenesque
After the Hunsford proposal and its rejection Darcy begins to rethink his actions and attitude, starting with Bingley and Jane. But does he make the situation worse, will he and Elizabeth every come to an understanding. There is a lot of dialogue in this story but it kept my interest.
Kimberly
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: austen-inspired
Another enjoyable read. The author captures the spirit of the characters quite well, and I can't wait to see this one adorning my bookshelf. Highly recommended.
Madenna U
Apr 07, 2014 rated it liked it
A road of self discovery for Darcy who eventually wins the girl of course. He gets the girl half way through the book. Not quite all happily ever after, but no conflict.
Carol Perrin
Nov 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mr. Darcy and the Secret of Becoming a Gentleman

I loved the portrayal of Darcy in this variation of Pride and Prejudice. Once he reflected on his Hunsford proposal, he immediately started to see what Elizabeth Bennet said about him. He has made himself a solemn vow, he will change his ways and win Elizabeth. Bingley has nothing compared to Darcy in the besotted arena. Luckily his letter explaining his two most severe y strikes against his character, begin to change Elizabeth's opinion of Darcy.
Audrye Glosson
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Before I start this review I just want to say that Goodreads is for readers not for the authors. I mean nothing personal or disrespectful about Maria Hamilton in this review. To be fair this book is not what I expected when a friend suggested I read it. The style, point of views, and plot line tripped me up for a while. Even so, I feel like 2 stars may be generous for this book.

1. The plot line: I like an Austen off-shoot as much as the next girl but really, if you are going to change everythin
Merrie Boland
Very good...but disappointed by the ending. Spoiler alert!

After a mostly sweet and clean retelling, inexplicably, Elizabeth and Darcy anticipate their vows. I felt it was out of character for them both and an unneeded evidence of their obvious passion for each other. After guarding their characters and reputations for so long, in a complete about-face, Elizabeth gives herself to Darcy. I was disappointed in the author's decision to compromise both of their integrity in that way. Other than the
T
Dec 21, 2018 rated it liked it
FYI this is a variation and not, as I think the blurb suggests, Darcy’s POV between Huntsford and the second proposal.

Mixed. Some excellent scenes ~ Darcy’s put down of Caroline B was brilliant. Quite amusing in parts, especially Darcy trying to navigate around both Mr & Mrs B. Some not so great parts. At times the writing slipped into Americanisms or modern terms. Sometimes the interactions didn’t quite ring true. The last couple of chapters let the book down, particularly the epilogue which wa
Nancy
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Marie
Aug 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
While this book began in an entertaining fashion, creatively incorporating more conversation than the reader is privy to in the original Pride and Prejudice, it took a sleazy turn and became much more about the physical relationship between Lizzy and Darcy. Jane Austen was classier than this and would not have chronicled such intimate moments, nor would she create characters who became intimate before marriage. The original Austen novels are far superior.
Carolina
Delightful, angst filled and charming

One of the best p&p variants I've read in a long time. Highly recommend. Darcy is repentant and thoughtful- story is actually quite unique but not far fetched
T M S
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

This is a well written P & P variation that begins after the Hunsford proposal. As the title implies, it is the process Darcy goes through to make amends and the wooing of Elizabeth Bennett.
loriinor
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely story!

I really enjoyed the insight into Darcy's insecurities as he returns to Hertfordshire to try to befriend and woo Elizabeth. Their repeated attempts at honest conversation and understanding ultimately bear fruit.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• This Disconcerting Happiness: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • The 26th of November: A Pride and Prejudice Comedy of Farcical Proportions
  • Darcy By Any Other Name
  • The Governess: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • These Three Remain (Fitzwilliam Darcy, Gentleman #3)
  • The Coming of Age of Elizabeth Bennet