Start by marking “The Night Dance: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses” as Want to Read:
The Night Dance:  A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses

The Night Dance: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses

(Once Upon a Time)

Under the stars, in a secret world...

Rowena, the youngest of twelve sisters, loves to slip out of the castle at night and dance in a magical forest. Soon she convinces her sisters to join her. When Sir Ethan notices that his daughters' slippers look tattered every morning, he is certain they've been sneaking out. So he posts a challenge to all the suitors in the kingdom:

Published November 22nd 2005 by Simon Pulse

Start your review of The Night Dance: A Retelling of The Twelve Dancing Princesses
Cara
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
In all honesty after I finished reading this I could think of was "huh?" . Don't misinterpret me this is not a bad huh just I kind of confused one.

This time around I did have some background of the original tale from reading Jessica Day George's Princess of the Midnight Ball. Highly recommended! But on to this retelling. Suzanne Weyn in her other retellings always relies on a historical setting to place the fariy tales in. In this one she incorporated the well known Arthurian legends. That was
Valerie
Oct 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: retellings, fantasy
This was a good book. It was all nice and sweet. Just like every other book in the series true love prevails above all. Rowena is a good protagonist and Sir Bedivere is all you want in your knight-in-shining-armor.

I like the the story of the 12 dancing princesses and the way Weyn portrays the story is done well. But I couldn't get over the fact that out of all the 12 sisters Rowena just has to be the most beautiful, as well as the most adventurous and the only daughter with the second sight.
♥Jessica, ♥Lady of the Library♥
Click here! http://enchantedlibraries.blogspot.com/ It's book stuff.

At the beginning of this book...
Everyone else around me at school and such:
 photo Beat_future_GIF_zpsbd5afeb7.gif

Me: (Reading)
 photo tumblr_manxt3CV0U1r76lino1_500_zps4284d62b.gif

Middle and end of this book...
Everyone else around me at school and such:
 photo tumblr_molronDsk31rxl27xo1_500_zps886f2f8e.gif

Me: (Reading)
 photo girl-reading-book_zps131cccf6.gif

Really, what I'm trying to say is that at the beginning it was very tiring, boring and not interesting. But towards the end, it got way better. That's why it doesn't deserve 5 stars. You don't get 5 stars when only 1/3 cf the book is good.
This
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fairy tale enthusiasts
The Night Dance is a wonderful combination of the fairy tale, The Twelve Dancing Princesses, and King Arthur legend. I was captivated at the first page, but at the same time wondering how the author could successfully tell this story and use the death of King Arthur and the sole remaining knight Bedivere's quest to return Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake. Well Ms. Weyn did an excellent job.

The Twelve Dancing Princesses has always been one of my favorite fairy tales. I was excited to read a
Joy
Jul 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love fairytale retellings. It's one of my favorite genres of books because unlike modern day stuff, these kinds can take on a world of their own.

Rowena doesn't know a lot about what happened between her father and her mother. When she was a baby, her mother left and never returned and her father shut all 12 children in a castle. They can have anything they want except the one thing they need...freedom. But when the girls discover a secret passage hidden within the floor of their castle, they
Melanie
Mar 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Night Dance was a cute retelling! I enjoyed this twist on "The Twelve Dancing Princesses". I felt bad for the mom and how she was trapped for so long. The dad was a little crazy and I felt he went overboard trying to protect his daughters.

The ending was really good and I loved that true love won. :D
Elevetha
Merin
Feb 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This was an interesting retelling of the Grimm Brothers' The Twelve Dancing Princesses, which took the original fairy tale and combined it with Arthurian legend, making the boy who figures out the mystery behind the girls' worn out shoes one of Arthur's Knights of the Round Table. In this story, the girls are the daughter of a self-made Count, who met their mother near a lake in the forest. The woman turns out to be Vivienne, the Lady of the Lake, and Arthur's aunt. She's trapped in the lake by ...more
Grace Bittle
So at first I was a little (Ok, a lot!) skeptical! I mean it's The 12 Dancing Princesses meets The Knights of the Round Table, you have to admit, it sounds just about as good as Cheetos and milk (weird right?)! But, not all weird things have to be bad. . . . And this book just happens to be one of them!
Bnbookblog
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
I was so excited about this book. I'd read a couple of the books in the Once Upon a Time... series and had enjoyed them (The Storyteller's Daughter is just fantastic). The story of the 12 Dancing Princesses is one of my all-time favorites, and I'm also a bit of a sucker for Arthurian legend. I thought that combining the two would be fantastic. Alas, I was disappointed. The story just never gelled. It followed two characters who were separated and then came together, but the way they met didn't ...more
Brittany
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a small book, but people who enjoy reading fairy tales re-told will find it a very pleasant light-read. It also intertwines with the legend of King Arthur and the Round Table. (having our main male protagonist being one of Arthur's knights)It doesn't follow King Arthur's specific story, but this book has some of the main characters in it, such as King Arthur (though he's in it for a very short time), Morgan Le Fay(and Morgan's son but I forget his name right now), the Lady of the Lake, and ...more
Meredith
Mar 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fairy-tales
It's a pretty sweet idea-combining King Arthur and the 12 dancing princesses. In fact, it's a fabulous idea. And the way the story actually goes is also pretty great. But I had a very "My Fair Lady" reaction about the writing. You know that song where Eliza sings to Freddy, "Words! Words! Words! I'm so sick of words! I get words all day through; First from him, now from you! Is that all you blighters can do? Don't talk of stars Burning above; If you're in love, Show me!" That's how I felt about ...more
Marcia Lynn McClure
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first "Once Upon a Time" books I read...and it's still one of my favorite! A spin on "The Twelve Dancing Princesses," this version has an Arthurian Legend thread woven through it and I LOVE it! It has such a happy, happy ending as well! I have to say that Suzanne Weyn is probably my favorite contributor to the "Once Upon a Time" series!
Sandy
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love to read fairy tale retellings and this one is amazing.

Ms. Weyn merged 12 Dancing Princesses with King Arthur lore and it turned out to be a wonderful story! The Lady of the Lake, Morgan le Fey, and Sir Bedivere Knight of the Round Table join Sir Ethan and his twelve daughters in this adventure that kept me captivated to the very last page.
Ruth
Feb 17, 2010 rated it liked it
I liked how this story blended Arthurian legend with the fairy tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses. It made a nice original angle.
Dyanna
Sep 12, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not like this one compared to the others retellings by Suzanne Weyn. It was too simple for my taste....
Anna Kuchina
May 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, retellings
This retelling presents a strange mixture of two different genres and eras and cultures, in the end, this decision doesn't give the book any good points, it only ruins it.
The myths and legends about the Great King of England - Author, are enormous and detrimental to the European culture, so trying to mix them with some fairy tale seems a bit strange and even though the author tries, the two parts of the story seem disconnected.
The other problem lies in the fairy tale itself, when it is told in
Tiffany
Mar 12, 2018 rated it liked it
This is Twelve Dancing Princesses meets Arthurian legend. I like what the author did in melding the two. It explains how there is an enchanted area under the princesses’ room and their nightly disappearances. I was interested in this story but I think it was poorly written. There is a lot of clunky exposition and is more explained than lived. The author tells the story rather than showing it. I hate love at first sight books and I felt that the kissing was a little over the top. Points for ...more
Ali
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
This started out as a nice afternoon read. I have always been intrigued by this fairytale and am obsessed with anything to do with King Arther, so combining the two was a treat. The last few chapters however were rushed to put it nicely. So many details which would have seemed to be important were overlooked and characters suddenly lost their charm for sake of time. The story wrapped up in a way leaving me very confused. I found myself flipping back to make sure I had not skipped a page ...more
Alex Criddle
Aug 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really loved the way Suzanne Weyn entwined her reimagining of The Twelve Dancing Princesses with King Arthur lore. The story was engaging and original. The characters were well-developed, though it would have been nice to get to know more of the sisters. The initial romantic connection between Rowena and Bedivere was interesting, but they almost instantly fell in love, so I wish there had been more development to their relationship. Overall, I really enjoyed this fairytale retelling.
michele
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-tangible
I loved the whole set of these retellings growing up and reread them all again in university. Even though I know I reread this book, I can't recall specifics, therefore I am giving it three stars. It was a fun read, but nothing comes to mind when I try to recall it individually.
Sarah Verkamp
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this retelling of the "Twelve Dancing Princesses." It really flushed out the characters and I loved the connection with King Arthur and the knights of the round table. I particularly liked that the girls were able to do something to save themselves as well.
Rebekah
Points for originality, blending the myth of Arthur and the Lady of the Lake with the 12 dancing princesses wasn't expected. However despite the original spin the story just wasn't as compelling as I wanted it to be.
Kirsten
fun :)
Nicollette Winiewicz
Apr 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, fairytale
Retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. I loved the incorporation of Camelot, and the Lady of the Lake!
Melissa
3.5/5 stars

Interesting retelling of the twelve dancing princesses. I especially enjoyed the addition of Arthurian legends.
Rebecca
May 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very fun retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses which tosses the tale into the end of Arthurian legend. Definitely an enjoyable read and one of the best in the series.
Wendy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting retelling of the fairy tale. It was a bit light on details and character development, but a fun read.
Martha

(Few minor spoilers)

The plot
The plot of the story kept to the basic tale of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (though there wasn't really that much dancing!) The girls sneaked out from their bedroom into a secret passageway that led to an enchanted lake (where their mother, a Lady of the Lake awaited). Their overprotective father, aware of their tattered slippers, sets up a contest to eligible bachelors: if they solve the riddle of where his daughters disappear to then they will have the
Would you rather be Nadya or Eleanor? 1 1 May 20, 2017 12:11PM
Would you rather live in a cottage or big mansion? 1 2 May 20, 2017 12:08PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Nov 20, 2014 11:27AM
¿Por qué no una traducción al Español? 1 2 Oct 22, 2014 12:48PM
Translation into Spanish, why not? 1 2 Jul 01, 2014 06:47PM

• Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • Briar Rose
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • Ever
  • The Princess Test (The Princess Tales, #2)
  • Fairest
  • Spinners
  • Spindle's End
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • The Unfairest of Them All (Ever After High, #2)
  • Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
  • Red Rope of Fate (The Elves of Lessa, #1)
Suzanne Weyn grew up in Williston Park, Long Island, New York. She has three sisters and a brother. As a girl she was very interested in theater and in reading. Louisa May Alcott was her favorite author, but she also read every Sherlock Holmes story. Suzanne lived pretty close to the ocean and going to Jones Beach was one of her favorite activities Even today, if she goes too long without seeing ...more

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights