Start by marking “Old Macdonald Had a Farm” as Want to Read:
Old Macdonald Had a Farm

Old Macdonald Had a Farm

(Classic Books with Holes)

Bouncy illustrations, innovative die cutting and popular rhymes make Books with Holes a must for every child. Available in three formats, suitable for babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers and the nursery or classroom.
Board Book, 14 pages
Published September 1st 2000 by Child's Play International (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Old Macdonald Had a Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old Macdonald Had a Farm

Start your review of Old Macdonald Had a Farm
Christine
3 stars for the classic nursery rhyme/song... but an extra star in this version from my childhood, where Old MacDonald is an actual Scotsman, in a kilt. : )

This was a great picture book to read to my kindergarten class in the fall, especially before a local farm field trip. Some students already knew it as a sing-along, from Pre-K.

Though farms today are a far cry from the agrarian-society farms of the past, it's still good for students to see a more historical example, to identify domesticated
Olivia Brill
Feb 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: pk-5
Title: Old Macdonald Had a Farm
Author: Pam Adams
Illustrator: Pam Adams
Genre: Pattern/Predictable book
Theme(s): Animal Sounds, Farms, Folk Songs, Songs and Music, Children’s Stories
Opening line/sentence: “Old Macdonald had a farm, Ee I Ee I O! And on this farm he had a dog, Ee I Ee I O!”
Brief Book Summary: Everyone knows this story of Old Macdonald and his farm. This book had detailed illustrations and follows the song that students grow up knowing.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1: Karen
Shayla.boyle
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A favorite to many children because of the catchy and well known tune, this book version of the song allows for children to develop more concrete images of the written text. These descriptive and colorful illustrations grab the readers attention and provide many different things for the reader to look at. Especially by the end of the book when all the animals are presented on the page. It allows for the children to practice their animal names as well as the sounds that each animal makes. This wo ...more
Maria Thompson
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: c-nursery-rhymes
Award: none

Grade Level: Birth to Kindergarten

Summary: This book is a nursery rhyme about a farmer and all of his animals. One by one the farmer names his animals which are a cow, chicken, dog, pig, duck, horse, cat, and sheep. The name of each animal is said along with the sound that the animal makes ex. " The farmer has a duck, with a quack quack here ...).

Review: The book has great illustrations and shows students what the elements of a farm has (barn, animals, tractor). Every character in the
Julia Panebianco
Mar 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: songs
Awards: none

Appropriate Grade Level(s): Pre K-Kindergaten

Summary: Old Macdonald Had a Farm by Pam Adams is an interactive song book that puts a little twist on the original Old Macdonald Song. It uses many different animals and animal sounds with bouncy illustrations. Some of the animals include dogs, sheep, pigs, ducks and more.

Review: This is a great book to introduce animals to children and their animal sounds. It is a fun and interactive story for all pre-k or kindergarten students to sing
Jackie Sisley
Old Macdonald Had a Farm is a book containing the titular song and many pictures to accompany it. The bright, colorful, and detailed pictures and the fact that each page has one more hole cut out than the last to reveal each new animal in the song makes the book very fun and engaging for young children. Most children are already familiar with the song and even if they are not, there is a large amount of repetition that makes it easy for them to read along. The book can be read or sung, though I ...more
Mya Zuckrow
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nursery-rhyme, songs
1. I would read with pre-k-3rd grade
2. This book is about Old MacDonald and his farm. It gives readers a look at the many different farm animals Old MacDonald has and the noises they make. It is a great story time book.

3. I would recommend this book, it is a catchy nursery rhyme and song that could be read or sung. It will teach children about the different sounds farm animals make. This book is very repetitive and a fun way to learn.

4. This can be used in a classroom when discussing different
Marissa
Oct 26, 2016 added it
Shelves: song-books
1. This book has not won any awards.

2. This book would be appropriate for ages 3-8.

3. In "Old MacDonald Had a Farm", we find out what animals live on the farm.

4. This book is a great read aloud. Children enjoy this book in song form just as much as they do in story form!

5. In class this book could be used as a circle time song warm up. Also, I would consider using this prior to a nap time (if there is one).
Madeleine Voss
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: children in elementary school
Shelves: eng261
This book is a great book when teaching children about different animals and developing their knowledge of the sounds animals make. I would recommend this book to kindergarteners and first graders learning about different animals and the sounds they make. I would love to do a lesson plan with this book in the future. A fantastic read.
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The big book version of this was perfect for the storytime crowd, but for the babies I did quit right after the pigs because I could feel the parents' attention start to flag. I also didn't repeat all the other animals on each spread, but just went with the new one.

Used for Farm Babies Round Two baby storytime January 2017.
Molly
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
A fun version of the traditional song to use and sing together. I used it in baby storytime and it worked well.
Noelle Boc
Jan 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Totally servicable big book edition. Cute with the cut-outs, but nothing to write home about.
Rochelle Sondae
This song is a lot longer than I remember! The last spread is pretty funny because all the animals have gotten loose.
Cws
Aug 11, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bb
BB-Ada
Wayne Farmer
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, board-books
A classic board book for kids with the classic song. My 8-month old loved it!
Khristina
May 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
My two year old loves this book. All the cut outs of the animals and the illustration is great.
Jennifer Margeson
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Always a favorite with my younger learners!
Hannah
Aug 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful!
Theresa
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Old MacDonald Had a Farm (Board Book)
by Pam Adams
using cut outs and great pictures build the nursery rhyme for you students. this i a great expansion of the song and story
Danny
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute version of the song, with cut-outs where each animal peeks through.
Tommy
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lara Bate
Jun 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Old MacDonald Had a Farm is a great book/rhyme to teach children. Would recommend this book while singing along.
Sarah Stewart

• Go, Dog. Go!
  • Ten Apples Up On Top!
  • I Need A Hug
  • Dear Zoo: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • Go Away, Big Green Monster!
  • Space Cows
  • Baby Cakes
  • Good Night, Gorilla
  • Bedtime for Little Bulldozer
  • Pete the Cat: Meet Pete
  • Machines at Work
  • Spot's Halloween
  • Ears, Eyes, Nose (Rookie Toddler)
  • My Ocean Is Blue
  • Listen to the Rain (Rookie Toddler)
  • Where Is Baby's Belly Button?
Pam Adams (1919-2010) was a British children's book author and illustrator, and a graphic designer. Born in Swindon in 1919, she was educated at the Swindon Art College and at the Central School of Art in London, and worked for many years as a graphic designer in the advertising field. In the 1970s she returned to Swindon, and teamed up with Michael Twinn, who had recently founded the publishing h ...more

Classic Books with Holes (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round