Start by marking “The Art of Power” as Want to Read:
The Art of Power

The Art of Power

"Power is good for one thing only: to increase our happiness and the happiness of others. Being peaceful and happy is the most important thing in our lives and yet most of the time we suffer, we run after our cravings, we look to the past or the future for our happiness."
Turning our conventional understanding of power on its head, world-renowned Zen master, spiritual leade
Published August 14th 2007 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Art of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Power

Ryan
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
I rarely take Buddhist spiritual writers seriously because their anecdotes are laughably irrelevant. Sorry, guys. Stories about "a king who had the finest clothes" have no effect on me, and that's not just because I'm a crank, but because little stories often tell little truths. Anecdotal instruction is too roundabout a way of introducing mindfulness, which can be a straightforward technique. There's no need for so much mystery and metaphor. These are techniques that can help people, so why play ...more
Stephanie
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The title is deceptive -- it's really a book about mindfulness, boundless love, and how to achieve greater understanding between individuals, nations and in the world. A really powerful book about spirituality and simple ways to incorporate very profound spiritual practices into everyday life, and every moment!
Erin
Jun 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am listening to this book on CD every day on my way to work. I listen to each CD several times. There is so much to learn from this guy.... He is the real deal - you know, a super-enlightened Buddhist monk and all that.
Mark Robison
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is aimed at CEOs, politicians and other powerful people about how real power is not dominating others with your wealth or power, but the power to be happy in the present moment and free from addiction, despair and anger. As sometimes happens when I read his books, the advice seems almost too simplistic to work in the real word in hard situations: breathe to get in sync with your body, the present moment is a wonderful moment, realize there is no self and that others are really you too, ...more
Stephanie *Very Stable Genius*
excellent...there is alot to be learned frome this guy. I am sure I will listen to this one over and over again. I learned alot of this from the Ekart Tolle books, this just added a little more!
Mary
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Sadly, not Thich's best book. The principles of Buddhism don't change much, and as he's written so many books on Buddhism, each book is tailored towards certain niches. This one seems targeted towards Christian America, with the 5 mindfulness trainings that read like commandments -- not really in the vein of his other books. This book might be appropriate to those not familiar with Buddhism and looking for a relatable introduction, but for anyone else with prior knowledge and practice of Buddhis ...more
Vỹ Hồng
Feb 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Một quyển sách hay, có nhiều khái niệm hữu ích và những bài học thực tế. Bản thân mình không phải là người am hiểu về Phật giáo. Thế nên có thể nhiều kiến thức mình cảm thấy mới lạ và thú vị lại là những điều rất phổ thông đối với các Phật tử.

Về nội dung, quyển sách nhan đề “Quyền Lực Đích Thực” nhưng trớ trêu thay những phần bàn về quyền lực lại là những phần kém ấn tượng nhất. Tuy nhiên, đấy có thể lại chính là nền tảng cho những bàn luận thú vụ hơn sau này.

Mình thích các khái niệm về niệm (sự
Nguyen Lam
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Phật giáo dạy về chữ Duyên và thấy được sự thật trong giáo lý phật giáo là Phước...một quyển sách của những năm về trước từng đặt xuống nhiều lần đã được đọc trôi chảy không ngừng!
Mình hiểu thêm một phần của chữ Tham...
Amber Scaife
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thich Nhat Hanh here details how real power is found in loving kindness and not in wealth or fame or political gain. So mostly a reinforcement of moral common sense, to be honest, but it was a nice reminder on trying to walk and breath and pretty much do everything we do mindfully.
Bob
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This will be a short review. It would be easy for a cynic to dismiss this book. That would be a mistake, because basically Hanh is right about everything in here.
Brian Gee
Dec 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Its ok. If you have read one of THich Nhat Hanh's books you have read them all.
Phuong Vy Le
1. Chuyện bên lề - Dăm ba chuyện vặt về quyền lực (hay) tại sao mình đọc 'Quyền lực đích thực"

#1 Quyền uy hay Ảnh hưởng (Power or Influence)

2 năm trước, trong đoạn 'dừng chân', có 1 job offer làm mình mâu thuẫn nội tâm khá sâu sắc: mình thấy bản thân không sẵn sàng và ghét những tranh chấp tiểu xảo trong chính trị, nhưng đồng thời, mình hiểu vị trí đó có một quyền lực nhất định để ảnh hưởng lên nơi mình ở. Bối rối nhưng không tìm được người tâm tình, mình đọc. Trong một article về tâm lý & M
Harshit Vyas
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It seems as if a child has written the book because of its simplistic language. But teaches how to live in the present moment. Recommended to lessen your mind chatter.
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Let me start by saying that I have VERY little knowledge or understanding of Buddhism. I was given this book by a friend of mine (from Vietnam) whom apparently thought I could benefit from some of Mr. Hanh's teachings. Intrigued, I dove into this thin book expecting a discourse on how Buddhism will make your life better, ect. What I found instead, was a heart-felt, insightful, and valuable introduction to a practical way to view life that can help you achieve happiness despite your circumstances ...more
Jimmy
Although this book is geared towards showing leaders in business, politics, their communities, and organizations generally how the application of Zen mindfulness techniques can actually enhance the quality of their own lives (as well as their employees and constituencies), the techniques are applicable to anyone who wants to live in a "mindful" way.

Thich Nhat Hanh uses the example of how the founder of Patagonia (the climbing clothing seller) uses such techniques to run a sustainable business pr
Maria
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
In 'The Art of Power,' Thich Nhat Hanh writes, "Power is good for one thing only: to increase our happiness and the happiness of others. Being peaceful and happy is the most important thing in our lives and yet most of the time we suffer, we run after our cravings, and we look to the past or the future for our happiness."

Nhat Hanh lays out for us in this book his thoughts on true power, as defined in this way, and how we can prioritize true sources of power over the cravings for what we think p
Mikelkpoet
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I can borrow books for two weeks from the bookstore where I am a barista at, and I borrowed this one, two weeks, ago. When I returned it, I was on p. 48, but I had read the Chapter titled, I think, "Getting what you want," which I found way more interesting than the first 48 pages, where Thich Nhat Hanh kept telling me that the only way to live my life was the way that he was telling me to live my life.

I am going to buy a used hardcover copy of this book, and finish, because I think that I can l
Kim
Dec 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing book and would recommend it to anybody who wants a more joyful and mindful way of living. Thich Nhat Hanh speaks eloquently on ways to cultivate insight through faith, diligence, mindfulness, and concentration. My life has already changed so much since reading this book, and could see myself referencing it often. I am grateful to the person who recommend this book to me!
J. Maximilian Jarrett II
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Thich Nhat Hanh was the first modern Zen master I read whose writings spoke to me very deeply when I first entered "the Stream" . The clarity of us insights and teachings is laudable and most useful. This book is another gem. I particularly liked the appendix which tells the story of the Patagonia company in the words of its founder. Highly recommended!
Kony
Jan 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Timeless wisdom imparted in simple prose. Re-reading this helped me quiet my monkey mind and remember to be happy in the moment. A bit repetitive, but not a big deal because the whole thing is so short and so good overall.

[Originally read in January 2010.]
Nicole
Loved the ideas presented in this book! What a great first book for the CSL book club! Definitely touches on all the big themes of the Center: mindfulness, belovedness, love, compassion, money, community. It was a bit slow at times, and the writing a bit simple, which is why this is 3 stars.
Sam Singer
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More Westerners should read

For a novice learning this practice or someone wanting to gain understanding of their life, this book is simple and c!ear. It is a book I will reread over time for sure.
Katrina Sark
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
p.3 – To bring happiness to others, we must be happiness. And this is why we always train ourselves to first take care of our own bodies and minds. Only when we are solid can we be our best and take good care of our loved ones.
When we suffer in our personal lives, our professional lives suffer too. When we suffer in our professional lives, our personal lives also suffer.

p.4-5 – Without compassion, you can’t be happy, no matter how rich you are. You become isolated and trapped within your own wo
Bradley Prior
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stuck between a 3 and 4, but I enjoy the positivity of this book. I'm a sucker for books that try to open new doors of optimism in the same way dogs are suckers for treats. The Art of Power is a dialogue. A lot of the message is targeted at an American audience. Americans are not the only ones who will benefit from this book. The book contains oriental spiritual charm and Thich offers real advice that I think is refreshing, rejuvenating and has the potential to do exactly what he preaches - Cha ...more
Ann Lihl
What I personally enjoyed about this book was the steps/exercises Thich Nhat Hanh says we can take to be more "mindful" in our lives. Mindfulness leads to great insight and I for one have experienced this more so lately than ever due to my daily practice of it. I noticed that I am much more happier and at peace with myself and life around me, and I have slowed down my life in doing so. If I am not mindful, I notice stress and unhappiness result, so I am much better off being mindful about everyt ...more
Thao Nguyen
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mình tin rằng tư duy gồm 3 bước. Bước 1 là tiếp nhận thông tin từ bên ngoài (bằng việc đọc sách, quan sát, nghe nhìn, nghe ai đó nói, nghe giảng...). Bước 2 là bước xử lý thông tin (bằng tư duy, bằng những trải nghiệm của bản thân để so sánh đối chiếu với những gì vừa tiếp nhận từ bên ngoài). Và bước 3, kiến thức đó được "bật" ra từ bên trong mình thông qua hành động, lời nói, quan điểm hay một sản phẩm cụ thể nào đó... Khi ấy, kiến thức mới trở thành của mình, làm nền tảng (bước 2) cho những đi ...more
Saeid Mohammadpour
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
What do you thing the power is? Thich Nhat Hanh, the author of "The Art of Power" defines the power in a unique way. I believe that it's the true meaning of power. However, most of us consider other things as power; money and fame are among them. However the more money and fame we gain, the more thirsty we become for gaining more. True happiness can be obtained as a result of having a different kind of power(true power). This book will define the real power and happiness for you. Thich Nhat Hanh ...more
JJ Litke
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it
From chapter 3: ““We all know that our bodies have the capacity of self-healing. When we cut our finger, we know that we don’t have to do anything besides clean it; our body will take care of the rest. We panic when we forget that our bodies have the power of self-healing. If we simply allow our bodies to rest, our bodies can heal themselves without a lot of medicine.”

Okay, except what about when the body can’t self-heal? What about chronic illness? What about terminal illness?

The above quote is
Ghia Arroyo
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read but I did find Thich to be repetitive in some concepts. Not just throughout this book but also one of his other books. I did like that it gave us the perspective of businessmen though. That there is a much needed balance between business and still being present. The route I plan to take involves business and I would like to keep the spiritual and work part of me balanced. He writes about nice examples of how these practices incorporated in everyday life. I’ve already started to imple ...more
Tram-Anh Huynh
Sep 01, 2018 rated it liked it
A good reminder: "It's possible to make money in a way that is not destructive, that promotes more social justice and more understanding and lessens the suffering that exists all around us. To do this, we need to be free from the pursuit of power, wealth, fame, and sex. These four go together. If you don't practice mindfulness, you'll be the victim of these four lures."

I loved the story of Patagonia at the end.
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Modern Buddhism: The Path of Compassion and Wisdom - (Volume 2 Tantra)
  • The Fruitful Darkness: A Journey Through Buddhist Practice and Tribal Wisdom
  • Noble Heart: A Self-Guided Retreat on Befriending Your Obstacles
  • The Lost Art of Compassion: Discovering the Practice of Happiness in the Meeting of Buddhism and Psychology
  • Dancing With Life: Buddhist Insights for Finding Meaning and Joy in the Face of Suffering
  • Native Science: Natural Laws of Interdependence
  • Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be: Lessons on Change, Loss, and Spiritual Transformation
  • We Can Work It Out: Resolving Conflicts Peacefully and Powerfully
  • Zen Lessons: The Art of Leadership
  • The Jewel Tree of Tibet: The Enlightenment Engine of Tibetan Buddhism
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Being Nobody, Going Nowhere: Meditations on the Buddhist Path
“Many people think excitement is happiness.... But when you are excited you are not peaceful. True happiness is based on peace.” 656 likes
“If you suffer and make your loved ones suffer, there is nothing that can justify your desire.” 216 likes