Start by marking “The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment” as Want to Read:
The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment

The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  463 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
This final, definitive edition of The Lazy Man’s Guide to Enlightenment, also known as the Young Person’s Guide Edition, features 3 new and previously unpublished chapters, "EXPAND!”, "FREE WILL”, and "WHO’S ON FIRST?”, as well as an addendum to the book, "A Young Person’s Guide to Enlightenment,” with final conclusions offered by author Thaddeus Golas, as he paves the way ...more
Paperback, A Young Person's Guide Edition, Revised, and Augmented by Author Thaddeus Golas, 91 pages
Published January 11th 2011 by Seed Center Books, Even Lazier Publishing, Ltd. (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment, please sign up.

Thaddeus Golas Hi Robert. Sorry for the late reply.
Hi Robert. Sorry for the late reply.
You can get the updated version of The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment for about $12 plus shipping from SEED CENTER.
Sadly, it no longer costs $1.75 - indie publishing is hard! Currently, you may have to order it from the UK website but it will still make it over to you at a local rate.
Keep grinning!(less)

Robin Clark
Jun 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
We are equal beings and the universe is our relations with each other. Thaddeus Golas.

There it is! Enlightenment! So, so simple. So profound. Easy, simple. Now relax for the rest of your life and be happy.
D
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
The 2008 edition is great. Some snippets:

A constantly expanding love...

* The attitude toward any goal: nice if it happens; nice if it doesn’t. It’s OK. You won’t mind letting go of one beautiful experience because love will make the next one just as rewarding.

* Take the example of music, letting go of one note to hear the next, then our pleasure can be constant though the vibrations change.

* If we ‘listen’ to the world, and let it act on us without either-or judgements and ideas, then we can com
Thaddeus Golas
Aug 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
For those on the road still trying to thumb a ride, this book will show you how to make it on your own. There is no other way. Being the lazy man’s lazy man, I quickly went to the last pages and back cover to glean the quintessential enlightenment offered in the excerpts. How can I be lazy and accelerate my vibrations to encompass all that wisdom in a flash, you may ask? Chapter 7 answers that If you’re the kind of person caught up in sin, asceticism, rejection of earthly enjoyment, or other evi ...more
Guy
Sep 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have an ambivalent reaction to this book. It gave me no new understanding, but I like that Golas aligned himself with Chuang Tzu and like Taoists who argue against straining and struggling to take actions or achieve understanding.

It is likely at a more challenging level to spiritual/philosophical ideas than an introduction, but will be unnecessary for people who have been seriously struggling with the spiritual/philosophical meanings of life for any length of time.

I like his blunt way of stati
Lauren Albert
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: religion
I bought this book a million years ago. I found it on my shelf and read it in a sitting (it is very short). I guess I'm not very enlightened because I kept finding my attention distracted by all of the mentions of LSD. Published in 1972, it shows that it was published in 1972. I guess I have to work towards the enlightenment that lets me read it without focusing on all of the off-hand references to LSD and other drugs.
ImaRoRa
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
my bible.
Doc
Dec 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Possibly the thinnest most entertaining essay on enlightenment ever written. 80 pages of purely great stuff!
D
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
highly recommended
Thaddeus Golas
CutFromAbove
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Even though it's short, it's quite heavy and there were more than a few important lessons. It's really impossible to make a proper review of this book, because it is really for someone who is 'on the path to enlightenment.' You've got to have at least read a few self-help books for this to be of any use to you at all, otherwise it just won't make any sense at all. However, if you've journeyed a little bit, there are a couple of ideas (no resistance, love that you hate it, vibration levels) that ...more
Wallwaster
Mar 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
Some nice bullshit about vibrations and everything being one. The book has some nice elaboration on Alan Watts' analogy of life and music though, but other than this part, it's not worth reading:
"Music shows us how to maintain pleasure and ecstasy. Normally we tend to think of a moment of euphoric realization as unbearable and impossible to continue. It slips away and then we pursue it again. It does so because we are unwilling to let it go, we are unwilling to conceive of being away from it. Bu
Stephanie Foley
Apr 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is an easy and meaningful read. The Voracious Reader presents a video summary here: http://youtu.be/TPBbIpAaodE
James
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
the most relieving book when in a deep fryer of nihilism
Lisette Van Der Maten
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, clear, punctual, funny book!
Gregg Bell
Apr 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember about twenty-five years ago, at a time in my life that I needed something to help me live, standing in a Waldenbooks store in a mall, facing a huge wall of books, maybe a hundred and fifty. Instantly my eyes were drawn to this tiny book called The Lazy Man's Guide to Enlightenment. I plucked if off the shelf. It must be a joke with a title like that, right? I thought. But I was intrigued by what I perused. I bought the book, took it home and spent hours reading and digesting it.

Then a
Janine2610
Was ist das eigentlich: Erleuchtung? Wie wird man "erleuchtet"? Wie lebt man als Erleuchteter?
Für mich klingt der Begriff "Erleuchtung" so abgehoben, genauso wie das Wort "Esoterik". Ich selbst bevorzuge lieber die Ausdrücke allumfassende Bewusstheit und Spiritualität. - Das ist mir persönlich eher zugänglich.

In diesem Buch geht es also explizit um Erleuchtung beziehungsweise Bewusstwerdung, ich habe aber auch schon ein anderes Buch gelesen, das eine ähnliche Thematik beinhaltet (BewusstSein von
Brad
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly great read, especially for under 80 pages. Despite bits of the expected stereotypical 'hippie-enlightment' (psychedelics), there's a ton of reflective wisdom on opening up to oneself and enjoying life more. Golas views enlightenment as a flexible term with a basis of being able to continuously expand our consciousness and embrace all emotions.

"It can be safely predicted that, as you grow more loving of yourself and others, you will in this lifetime begin seeing every pers
Matt Holmes
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
The grain of salt that you need to take this with is this book can be considered a spiritual primer as much as it could pocket guide to paranoid schizophrenia. The talk of vibrations and the control exerted thereby, changing states of matter, and our casual interconnectivity are all common delusional tropes. That out of the way, it's an excellent read. I'm not about to drop everything and convert, but the way he looks at the world straddles this line between 60s hippie mystic and shouting half-n ...more
Uvindex
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014, philosophical
"Si reconocemos que la fealdad está siempre en nuestro interior, seremos libres de crear la belleza." Thaddeus Golas.

Este ensayo filosófico entre otras cosas destaca la naturaleza dual y por "niveles" del individuo, el universo creado a partir las interacciones entre los seres, que dependen del grado de exteriorizacion del mismo, donde ya no existe más el yo, el ego, sino un intercambio de emociones, donde el amor es el ingrediente principal que nos hace vivir plenamente.
Es un libro ampliamente
Norman Haase
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the book that I've given away to at least 100 individuals over the last 20 years. Of the countless books I've read on the subject of enlightenment/higher consciousness (ok, so I'm a slow learner), this little book captures all of the essentials without obfuscation, in a scant 80 pages. There was a time when I read it cover-to-cover each and every day, and I've never been so clear, expanded, loving and happy (so why did I stop, you ask? What fun is life on Earth if we can't be dense and c ...more
Kevin Summers
Jun 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult
This book contains some valuable spiritual insights (although the drug references are dated).

Sample quotes:

"Anything that really frightens you may contain a clue to enlightenment. It may indicate to you how deeply you are attached to structure, whether mental, physical, or social."

"The state of mind that most needs enlightenment is the one that sees human beings as needing to be guided or enlightened."

"What we see is always ourselves. It is useless to correct anyone's behavior. If he knew what h
Steve Are
Jan 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: open, inquiring minds.
this book still informs my world-view. t'was truly hard to comprehend much of it at first, first coupla attempts failures till i finally just forced myself to read straight thru it, worry about understanding it later.
written in '72, on the tail of the "summer of love," it references psycedelics as a way of opening your mind to realities otherwise unavailable for the most part and if you can get past that non-essential, you'll be good.
he essentially says everything vibrates, is a vibration, tha
Stefan Meyer
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you want the secret to life succinctly boiled down to eighty small pages, this is the book for you! Golas sets down the basic principles of life in quick order: We are all equal. The universe is nothing but live beings, each controlling their own destiny. Nothing needs to be corrected. We are free to experience the world as we desire. Our choice at any given moment is simply whether to expand or contract our awareness. Therefore, our experiences are in accord with our state of consciousness. ...more
Amanda Jaczkowski
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a short book full of one man's view on enlightenment. It's not tied to any religion, and there was a rotating reference to vibrations and other religious imagery. He touched on the use of psychedelics, but did not by any means insinuate that they were necessary on the path of enlightenment.

Really, the focus was on love. Loving each other, yourself, and your current situation. At the very end, there is a brief cliff-notes style summary of the already short book, keeping true to "Lazy Man'
Katya
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really short and really funny guide for lazy people seeking enlightenment. After listening to the book I felt I would really liked to meet a person like Golas - someone who would speak without trying to convince and share his experiences without trying to teach. Paradoxically, it is a very convincing book!
Shea
Nov 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A patron at the library lent me his copy of this. It kind of makes me think about the koan at the end of Dogen's Genjokoan where the monk says to Mayu, "The nature of the wind is permanent, and there is nowhere that it doesn't reach. So why do you still fan yourself?" It all sounds good in a book, but is it functioning in your life?
Elodie
Dec 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I learned a lot of very interesting things on the universe, love and our cosmic vibrations. Ultimately it's a really good book to read and think about without using the ideas with too much dogmatism.
Everything is quite positive and reminds you that everything is possible at any given time. Sometimes, this is what we need to keep in mind.
Relbie
Mar 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I felt so good after reading this book. It has helped me in many ways, to accept myself and others more, to understand the world around us... It has simple answers for complicated questions. It's a tiny book with a huge world inside, one of these works you can't put down once you start reading. I'm really glad I bought it. Highly recommended for everyone.
Christie Owens
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
I own the small, original edition of this guide that was published in 1972. This very interesting little book is clearly a product of the early '70s when parts of the culture was experimenting with expanding their consciousness with LSD. While "mind-bending" in the beginning, I actually made my own sense of it by it's finish and would recommend it to every "seeker."
O.R. Melling
Oct 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I think of this book as the fringe festival to the teachings of the Dalai Lama (which I have attended twice, in India). A New York writer friend gave me an original copy years ago and now I have the new edition. I always go back to Golas for sustenance of soul and mind. He's a constant companion when I travel. Very comforting in times of turbulence, including the kind you get on airplanes ...
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • The Essence of Tibetan Buddhism
  • The Chakras (Quest Book)
  • Nature and Other Essays
  • The Way To Freedom
  • شورشی
  • Big Sky Mind: Buddhism and the Beat Generation
  • Work as a Spiritual Practice: A Practical Buddhist Approach to Inner Growth and Satisfaction on the Job
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • Yoga Body, Buddha Mind
  • The Bible of Karate: Bubishi
  • One City: A Declaration of Interdependence
  • The Foundations of Buddhism
Born in 1924 in Paterson, New Jersey, to Polish Catholic parents, Thaddeus Golas was a child of Einstein's Relativity but also of the Great Depression.

He served a long European tour of duty in WWII, and was in Patton's Third Army in Antwerp, but narrowly avoided combat at the Battle of the Bulge. The G.I. Bill helped him earn a BA in General Humanities from New York's Columbia University where he
More about Thaddeus Golas...

“I can't say I know at this moment what all these laws are. But on some level everybody knows that we are all getting exactly what we deserve.” 13 likes
“No matter what your spiritual condition is, no matter where you find yourself in the universe, your choice is always the same: to expand your awareness or contract it.” 10 likes