Start by marking “Mum on the Run” as Want to Read:
Mum on the Run

Mum on the Run

Laura Swan was dreading the school sports day Mum’s race - but whoever would have thought it could be quite so life-changing?

Laugh-out-loud funny, Fiona’s writing deals with the real life cringe-worthy moments we all know so well…

Sports Day at her children's school is a nightmare for Laura because of the event she dreads – the Mums' Race. She knows the other mothers have b
Published February 17th 2011 by Avon (first published February 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mum on the Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mum on the Run

Em*bedded-in-books*
Feb 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: chicklit fans
Shelves: chicklit, borrowed, ebooks
This was a spontaneous read....
Was browsing through my Kindle for light reads and the title caught my eye.
A witty book narrating the travails of an overweight middle aged mother of 3, who thinks her husband may be having an affair with his colleague.
She somehow gets to rearrange her life and priorities and loses weight, acquires a male friend, but there is trouble at home.
Their 3 cute kids added to the hullabaloo.
I was so relieved reading about the 10 year old moody devil of a preteen that my
Agi
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
It was my first book by Fiona Gibson but I'm sure not the last one:)
It started with a kick and ended with a kick, it have me hooked from the very first page to the very last page, I couldn't wait to turn the page to see what's going to happen. Perhaps I didn't laugh out loud (although sometimes too) but I have smile on my lips reading every word of this book. Laura and her family were so, so nice, although sometimes I just wanted to salp Finn on his ass, and Toby as well, and Jed was from time t
Leah
Nov 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Laura Swan is the type of mum who hates her kids sports day, mainly because after having three kids, her body just isn’t what it used to be. But after promising her daughter Grace she’d participate in the Mum’s Run, Laura finds herself utterly embarrassed after falling during the race, not least because her husband Jed was there to witness it with his sexy new colleague Celeste. Vowing to not be humiliated like that again, Laura joins a tub-club and meets Danny, who she finds herself clicking wi ...more
Elaine
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this read. Poor Laura, she is 38 years old and not sure what is going on between her husband Jed and his colleague Celeste, which doesn’t help her self image one little bit. In a bid to lose weight we follow her to slimming club meetings, the coffee shop and her first ever attempts at running, and usually in that order!

What I love about Fiona Gibson is the way she portrays normal every day life. I am a mother, and when I was reading about Laura’s children and the things they s
Hannah Symonds
Mar 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is my second Fiona Gibson book and I completely fell in love with this book too. It is so true to family life, it will make you laugh out loud so be careful reading it in a public place. Fiona has a relaxed way of writing that I just love. Loved all the characters, it does have funny parts in this book but it also has some serious parts. My kind of chick-lit, easy read.
Danielle
Aug 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book i have read by Fiona Gibson and i wasn't dissapointed.

The book starts off with Laura running the mums race at her children's sports day and lets just say that she comes famously last and ends up falling over at the finish line in front of her children.

Laura and Jed are happily married with 3 children Finn, Grace and Toby. Ed has been getting very close with one of his work colleague Celeste, which very much annoys Laura as she has noticed that her husband has become ver
Chloe
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Finn pissed me off. That's all I can say. The spoilt little sod did my nut in!! Laura definitely needed to stand up for herself more! I was also expecting there to be another mums race at the end, at which she would beat Naomi and her kids would suddenly stop being brats. I also found it strange that Laura's relationship with Danny wasn't really an issue with Jed. Their kiss never came up, which it should have! And there was too much devotion to Celeste and Jed's relationship. I didn't really un ...more
Dawn Lennox
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many times while reading this book I got the giggles, and thoroughly enjoyed the story. Well written, the children are real in the way of being bratty at times but I can believe in them.

I enjoyed reading about Laura Swann, her entertaining family and all their various antics. Twists and turns, tums and bums, veg bakes and 30 ways with tuna, it all fits in the book.
Niki
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book isn't about running but mostly about relationship problems between a husband and wife. Since I started reading this book because I thought it would focus on running, I'm disappointed. The story is ok but not very gripping. The mum seems to get herself into bizarre situations and complains a lot and the husband is just a kind of weak character in my opinion.
M.D. Bowden
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bridget Jones humour, well written and quite the page turner, but I didn't really enjoy the overall theme of not knowing whether her husband was having an affair - it made me feel sad :-(
I thought the portrayal of life with children seemed quite accurate!
Aileen
Mar 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant fun read, I read it in a few hours, had a bit of a late night, but great book, definetely recomend.
Alison Booth
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
hilarious every mum can relate to the book had me laughing out loud!!!
Hayley Noble
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Halfway through reading this book I got deja vue and realized I had read this before! However this book still had be cackling away, extremely funny!

Fiona Gibson Does it again!
Maureen
May 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
laugh out loud funny
Rasika Mahabal
Sep 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Gets extremely boring towards the end, no liking developed towards the whining characters. It was good in bits n pieces.
Rachel
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I can't wait for her new one :)
Emma Long
Oct 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A very funny book that reminded me everyone with kids goes through similar things!
Andrew
Jul 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good fun light read.
Joyce (Chloe)
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a fun book!
Kirsty Oughton
Jan 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This isn’t the first book I have read by Fiona, it certainly won’t even be the last. I am a huge fan of her writing style and it’s so easy to get hooked straight into her novels.

It certainly didn’t take me long to read ‘Mum on the Run’ and I didn’t want to put it down but life kind of got in the way! The narrative of the story flows so freely you get to know each character quite quickly. I especially love each of her children, they all have quite different personalities and are quite amusing at
Rebecca
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
I absolutely loved this book, after starting running last year and last week running my first 10k race I could totally relate to the running side of the book.

Laura is your typical mum, 3 kids at different stages in life a job a house and husband to juggle.

When Laura promises Grace that she ll run the mums race at the school sports day to keep her quiet little did she think that she would remember! Laura thought wrong as with all kids, can't remember where there shoes are but will always rememb
Emily Novelle
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
For me this is a book that resonates on so many levels as I’ve gone down the same rout re weight and exercise. Laura has two journeys in this book one is her relationship with her husband and one is about herself. She grows in confidence and that changes her attitude. It takes a while to get into the book but it’s worthwhile keeping going. The big thing for me is that it reminds me why I love jogging and how being healthy makes you happy.
Fiona Sing
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Fiona Gibson book and it will defiantly not be the last !!! I absolutely loved this book .. and being a mum could relate to Laura in many ways. This book had me laughing out loud and also brought a tear to my eye it completely pulled me in !! Looking forward to my next Fiona Gibson read :)
Lace Nadine
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was the first book I have read by the Author and I have ordered two of her others as I enjoyed it very much. It was an easy feel good read, and quite relatable in terms of Mum and family life. All the characters had a realistic 'someone I know' quality about them, and I really liked all the characters and wanted to know more about their lives. I liked the tips at the back relating to getting into running, as through the book it got me wanting to get up and run!
Atila  Yumusakkaya
Benefit of sport

If you got out of shape you'd better start doing sport and get in shape so save your marriage and gain your confidence back.
Velma Bevan
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chick lit at its best
Jodie Merrett
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book loved every bit of it 😁
Sue Vickery
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. Well done Fiona. I loved Laura, Jed and Danny. Made me laugh and cry.
Biene_maja
Mar 16, 2019 rated it liked it
This book inspired me to have another option to lose weight....I love the funny character of Laura mom of three....sometimes I feel inside my mind just like Laura. Nice book for afternoon tea time.
Philippa
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great read, funny and relatable!

• The Baby Diaries
  • The Secret Shopper's Revenge
  • Personally, I Blame My Fairy Godmother
  • Heaven Scent
  • A Summer Fling
  • It's a Vet's Life (Talyton St George, #4)
  • Sweet Temptation
  • My Husband Next Door
  • It Happened in Paris
  • With Love at Christmas
  • Chances
  • Humbugs and Heartstrings
  • The Au Pair
Fiona is an author and journalist who has written for many UK publications including The Observer, The Guardian, Marie Claire, Red, New Woman, Top Sante and Elle. She writes a monthly column for Sainsbury’s magazine and is a Contributing Editor at Red magazine.

Fiona lives in Scotland with her husband, their twin sons and daughter. She likes to draw, run 10k races, play her saxophone and lie in the
“Then I go over to attend to my client whose fine hair clings to her scalp. ‘Now,’ she says, prodding a picture in the magazine. ‘I was thinking of something like this. A big, glamorous Catherine Zeta-Jones kinda thing. That all right with you?” 0 likes