Start by marking “Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up” as Want to Read:
Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

Take Another Little Piece of My Heart: A Groupie Grows Up

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  674 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Updated to include the escapades of the last 16 years of the "queen of the groupies," this rollicking, piquant, and sometimes heartbreaking follow-up to "I'm With the Band" documents Pamela Des Barres' struggles with postmodern marriage and motherhood. Covering the middle-passage years of the baby-boom generation, this biography portrays a hilarious, inspiring tussle with ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Chicago Review Press (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Another Little Piece of My Heart

Lynx
Jan 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A groupie may grow up but that doesn't mean all her stories have been told! Des Barres' follow up to her sensational memoir I'm With the Band is still packed with fun memories and an open honesty that many don't have the courage to possess. While this one deals with heavier issues then her previous (Addiction, Adultery, Divorce..) Pamela just radiates positivity and always finds a way to turn a negative into a life lesson, there to help her grow into the amazing women she is. Those who love I'm ...more
Rachel
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ultimately the subject mater of this particular instalment of Pamela's life wasn't all that appealing to me - husband, difficult marriage, child - I much preferred the previous book.
Eli Martinez
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: documentary
Despite reading (and loving!) her other two books, I was hesitant about this one since I felt it would be more of a personal memoir and not really contain anything too interesting. After I read it, it just made me love Miss Pamela even more. It is more about her own personal life after "groupiedom" but don't give in to your preconceptions that her life after rocks stars can't be just as interesting. Her voice in this book takes you right into her life, which often included heartbreak and I felt ...more
Rick Barcenas
I liked "I'm with the Band" so much I had to read this one too. Ms. Des Barres is definitely an interesting gal. Still in love with her?....Maybe a little. Wild Child grows up, has a family etc. A good read.
Kerstin
This is the sequel to I'm With The Band, the bible of the born-too-late. It's decidedly less exciting than the first book, but well worth the read if you fall in love with Pamela as much as I did.
Natalie
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Should've known this lovely lady was a virgo. A lovely tale of a muse finding her own music, and getting lost and found in the noise.
Erin
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have been on a "groupie book" kick so I thought I would tune in for the rest of Pamela Des Barres' stories. I enjoyed her loving, spirited nature in her first book and was hoping she didn't lose that the farther away she got from the 60s. She definitely is still all about the love, which is something I appreciate, but I couldn't get into this book because Des Barres got way to obsessed with the cosmic. I love religion, I completely agree with piecing together a belief system that works for you ...more
Katrina
Aug 16, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I was a very young teen when I read and loved Pamela's first book, I'm with the Band. It's entirely possible that I would feel differently about it now, but I'm definitely finding her follow-up book about her marriage to Michael Des Barres (which, we're told going in, ended in divorce) depressing. Not because I know the marriage didn't last, but because she seemed to make the whole point of her life to be keeping a moody, selfish husband happy. Though it's a quick read, I haven't even been inter ...more
Whitlow
I found this to be a little darker than the first book, but still a good read. I enjoyed her carrying the reader through her journey and growth into womanhood. I love hearing her talk about her pregnancy and first baby, it's very sincere and very sweet. A classic rise and fall love story with some dark twists and painful memories. I feel like she used this book to voice her break up after thoughts to her ex. It was her outlet to get her whole story out there and say 'look at me now, I'm over it' ...more
Katie
Jul 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I loved "Let spend the night" and "I'm with the band" to pieces and couldn't stop reading them, I had a really hard time finishing this book. The first half of it is overshadowed by the breakdown of her marriage, which makes it kind of depressing to read - the second half was easier to read and in parts reminded me of her other books.
Aug 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Follow up to I'm With the Band. It was an okay read. The marriage drama, new age advice, and problem child interludes bored me. I just wanted to read more of her escapades. At the same time, I appreciated her honesty (she admits she was codependent) and her seemingly genuine appreciation for people and life.
Baylee
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own-this-book
I loved this book. I don't think Pamela is the best writer but I enjoy her voice so much. Her life is so interesting. I felt truly inspired while reading this. Her honesty is awesome and her life is incomprehensible. I can't wait to read the rest of her works. I'm an obsessed fan.. or groupie if you will.
Cara
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read....

As usual this author gives us a glimpse of her glorious life she has created and I marvel at her way that she writes, and am inspired that you can do anything you dream...and even after all of life's speed bumps....I always love reading what Miss Pamela has to tell.....
Lilly Wood
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music-related
"its more like swooping in love and it's happening to me"

I absolutely swooped in love with "I'm with the band" and now I'm so terribly sad that I've finished this book. I love the hater-stories and how misunderstood her story is. I really can't wait to start another installment of Miss Pamela's life!

Mallory
Pamela Des Barres, one of the most famous groupies of the 60's and 70's, becomes a wife, a mother, an ex-wife, a writer. Her attitude concerning the ups and downs of life is admirable, and I enjoyed reading her story.
Alisa
After reading and loving Miss Des Barres' "I'm With the Band," finding a copy of this sequel in a used book store was like being reunited with an old friend. This book further details her marriage to Michael Des Barres and raising her son Nick. A must-read for anyone who enjoyed the original.
Frances
Jul 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was a waste of my time. Nothing like the first book. It was about her marriage, not marriage, and son Nick.
Angela
If you love/live with an addict, this is definitely a read that will at least help you feel less alone. It was like a girlfriend holding my hand through some dark times.
Carol Ann
Ms. Clark uses her winning recipe which involves an emotionally but lovely heroine, nasty deaths, and a looney living next door. As usual I read it in one evening
Tonya
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books of all time. Thanks to this book I discovered Kerouac.

Haylee
Oct 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is my favorite out of all of Pamela Des Barres books. Its basically about her life in the 80s, which was even more intersting than her hard core groupie days.
Elizabeth Gold
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rock n roll

I have deep affection for the world of Pamela Des Barres. While this is not as focused as I'm With the Band, it's still juicy and fun and a piece of pop history.
Isobelpoe
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was pretty hairy there for awhile, but was engaging, interesting and fun (mostly) to read.
Pam Houghton
I'm still reading this but I like it. She wrote "I'm With the Band" - but it wasn't in at the library. Got this instead. It's interesting, fun reading.
Mandy - Reading in the Happi Bat's Nest
Great look into how Miss Pamela grew up and I enjoyed the progression of her youthful friendships with the stars into actual solid and mature relationships that have lasted years
E G
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a little late to the sequel party, but interesting to follow up with what she was doing after the last book left off.
Jayne Lamb
Not a patch on 'I'm With the Band', the 80's ennui seems to settle in a bit over Miss Pamela. Still definetly worth a read, she has one of the most distinctive and sweet voices out there.
Susan
Sep 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such an interesting life. But I want to know who HIM is.
Kristen
Jul 20, 2012
Tessa
Jul 31, 2016
  • Miss O'Dell: My Hard Days and Long Nights with the Beatles, the Stones, Bob Dylan, Eric Clapton and the Women They Loved
  • Dandelion: Memoir of a Free Spirit
  • Up and Down with the Rolling Stones
  • Whores: An Oral Biography of Perry Farrell and Jane's Addiction
  • Always Magic in the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era
  • Rave On: The Biography of Buddy Holly
Pamela Des Barres aka Miss Pamela (born Pamela Ann Miller on September 9, 1948) is a former rock and roll groupie, author, and magazine writer.

Des Barres was born in Reseda, California. Her mother was a housewife and her father worked for Anheuser-Busch and occasionally worked as a gold miner. She idolized the Beatles and Elvis Presley as a child, and fantasized about meeting and dating her favori
More about Pamela Des Barres...