Start by marking “Badjelly the Witch: A Fairy Story” as Want to Read:
Badjelly the Witch: A Fairy Story

Badjelly the Witch: A Fairy Story

Badjelly The Witch can turn children into sausages or chop them up to make boy-girl soup. She can turn policemen into apple trees or bananas into mice and she is the wickedest witch in all the world.

Searching for Lucy, their cow, Tim and Rose become lost in the great black forest. There they meet Binklebonk the Tree Goblin, Mudwiggle the worm, Silly Sausage the grasshopper
Published October 19th 2000 by Virgin Books (first published December 31st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Badjelly the Witch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Badjelly the Witch

Start your review of Badjelly the Witch: A Fairy Story
Clouds
Mar 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is quite a long story for my son (he's only 2 and a 1/2) so we're reading it over a few nights. I just wanted to share a moment from tonight's bedtime story.

[After talking about Halloween] So what would you like to dress-up as for Halloween, Fin?

A fireman. And a clock! And a owl. With a gun, and a sword, and a violin. On a horsey!

And when they open the door I will say BOO! And they will be scared and throw sweets to make me GO AWAY!

... you heard it here first. Watch out Cardiff!
Abigail
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fairy-Tale Lovers / Spike Milligan Fans
When their cow Lucy goes missing, Tim and Rose set out to track her down, eventually finding themselves in the nearby forest. Here they encounter a variety of magical adventures, finding shelter overnight with Binkle-bonk the tree goblin, being towed across a river by Mud-wiggle the worm, and joined on their journey by the talking Dingle-mouse. When the three travelers are captured by the evil Bedjelly the witch, who threatens to turn them into sausages, Dingle-mouse escapes and runs off in sear ...more
Peter
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
A pick-me-up while reading Daphnis and Chloe. Thanks Spike the bringer of mad tales.
Lynley
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
In NZ, the radio play used to air on Sunday mornings every single weekend when I was growing up, partly because it was so often requested ('This morning's Badjelly the Witch' was requested by Jane/Robert/Anna/Paul etc' and partly because I suspect Radio New Zealand didn't have a huge budget for buying audio plays for kids.

Needless to say, I never got sick of hearing it.
Ash
Jul 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great book for reading aloud to kids. They all love the characters especially Fluffy Bum the cat. I have read this to my own children numerous times and now to my grandchildren. If you can find it, the recording, narrated by Spike Milligan, is great. Radio New Zealand had a CD of this for sale.
Rachel
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
oh my nose!
Deborah Bluhm
Dec 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The best children’s book ever written!
Mara D
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Amazing book. Would recommend for young children, very humorous. Fantasy genre.
Bettie

For the younger child/read outloud.

Some Friday Night Fun away from the heavy; read by the MAN HIMSELF and there are orchestral sound effects and it is all rather fun with a glass of Reisling after a hectic day. There are Trouser Robbers so beware...

Apparently there is a version out there which (sic) is in Spike's own hand writing - what fun.

knickers knickers knickers
Lee Garner
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sat in A&E going crazy as my child has a virus and I can't escape!! Struggled to read this year so had a go at this. I thought this book was funny and my daughter loved being called Binkle-Bonk! Nutty as a squirrel fart! Both the book and my daughter! A delightful tale of Zim & Rosy on the hunt for their lost cow! Won't go in to too much detail, I wouldn't want to spoil it. ...more
Kay Lucas
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Read this book (in Spikes own hand writing!)to my children countless times. They loved it then and still refer to the charachters as teenagers. Our 'not so bright' dog is often called 'Dullboot' (the giant)and my daughter wants to be Binklebonk the Tree Goblin next Halloween (aged 14!) - I think it's the sausage! Glorious nonsense!! ...more
Margot Thomson
Jun 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recall reading this book aloud at the dinner table many many years ago. My family were quite reserved types, but not long into the story we were all in stitches. A delightful tale for all ages. Loved it then and love it now. Recommend to all.
Nicole
Mar 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this book today to a group of young children here where i work (Library) they really enjoyed it.
Derek
Nov 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is one of the strangest stories I have ever read.
Trinity
Mar 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kiddy-stuff
My favourite book as a kid!
Bridget Laatz
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Love love love!
Peter Millett
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is the book that made me want to be a writer. Thanks Spike!
Rachael
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My favourite ever book as a child which I still have.
Deborah Eyre
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious, scary story for kids. It's Spike Milligan, need I say more. ...more
Les
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A book every child should read.
John
Oct 08, 2017 rated it liked it
I used to listen to this on the radio on Sunday mornings as a kid - it's good to have it for my kids to read! ...more
Anyta Sunday
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love this story! Reminds me of my childhood listening to this on cassette tapes. And now my child is listening and loving it . . . :D
Gena Lott
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This slightly irreverent modern fairy tale is so fun and silly that kids just love it!
A great change from the regular fairy tale it is full of Milligan's zany sense of humor including a dog that plays the piano with his tale and a mouse that was changed from a banana by the terrible witch. The most fun you will have reading a story in a long time!
Katherine
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, fiction
This freaked me out when I was a kid but I'll never forget the audio recording of it. ...more
Clementine_woof
Jan 18, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bad jelly is not scary because she said I am going to eat you up with peanut butter ummmmmmm🥜
Mustafa
Feb 02, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bad-jelly-witch, cc
i did not read the book
Stephanie
Nov 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I decided to read this book because its my favorite book of all time (well to this date) this book comes under "written by a male author" i like this book because its a fairy tale and that its adventurous and shows true team work! I dislike this book because it is no longer in my possession but i shall get it back some day and read it to my kids! i would recomend this to 5-10yrs i must say i am a very big kid but you got to love them bedtime stories

looovveee steph
Astrid Edwards
Bad Jelly the Witch is brilliant.
The tale inspires children to think by refusing to follow the standard fairy tale format.
The version published in Spike Milligan's own handwriting - including drawings of Bad Jelly and the rest - is highly recommended (and a damn dight more imaginative than the current 'child-friendly' purple one).
They simply don't publish fairytales like they used to.
Cassandra
Such a great book, and the audiobook is even better (it's read by Spike Milligan).

I have a friend called Rosie and her brother's called Tim, so in her copy of Badjelly she's gone through and put an 'i' between the s and the e in every single mention of Rose, to make it Rosie.
Oct 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: childhood
HATED THIS AS A CHILD! I used to have nightmares after nightmares of witches...worst part they were always my mother who was the witch.

• The Bad Boy, The Sat Nav and Me (Bad Boy Isn't My Type..., #2)
  • The Roommate Rulebook
  • The Bad Boy, Cupid & Me
  • The Bad Boy Stole My Bra
  • Mr. Popular and I
  • iAmTalon
  • 68 Days And Counting
  • The Bad Boy and the Tomboy
  • The Cell Phone Swap
  • Bad Boy Isn't My Type... (Bad Boy Isn't My Type..., #1)
  • Interference Effects
  • Olive Octopus's Deep Sea Ditties
  • The Emerald Berries (The Adventures of Sophie Mouse, #2)
  • The Tale of Kitty In Boots
  • The World’s Worst Children
  • Garfield Vol. 8
  • Every Last Breath (The Dark Elements, #3)
  • Darkest Hour (The Mediator, #4)
Terence Alan Patrick Seán Milligan, known as Spike, was a comedian, writer and musician. He was of Irish descent, but spent most of his childhood in India and lived most of his later life in England, moving to Australia after retirement. He is famous for his work in The Goon Show, children's poetry and a series of comical autobiographical novels about his experiences serving in the British Army in ...more

News & Interviews