Start by marking “Goldilocks and the Three Bears: A Tale Moderne” as Want to Read:
Goldilocks and the Three Bears: A Tale Moderne

Goldilocks and the Three Bears: A Tale Moderne

This retelling of the traditional children's tale has one crucial difference - the bears are a new breed. These guys are hip, with a love of style and design. Their 1950s split-level home is filled with cool furniture from such designers as Alvar Aalto and Isamu Nogochi.
Published April 1st 2000 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about Goldilocks and the Three Bears, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goldilocks and the Three Bears

Ronyell
Goldilocks

Now, to be honest, my first exposure to Steven Guarnaccia’s artwork was through Rabbit Ears Productions’ version of Anansi, which was narrated by none other than DENZEL WASHINGTON! So, when I found out that Steven Guarnaccia had written and illustrated a more modern version of “Goldilocks and the Three Bears,” I just had to give this book a shot!

Basically, this book is a retelling of the popular fairy tale story “Goldilocks and the Three Bears” where the story starts off with the three bears goi
Eliot Reads
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The coolest version of the classic fairy tale. Love the modern illustrations!
Mark
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adults
Text below are mainly based from the book's jacketflap.

When she discovers the three bears' house in the woods, Goldilocks ventures in and makes herself at home. According to the tradition, she sits in the chairs, samples the meal laid on the table, and takes a nap. Yet something is different in this retelling of the classic story of the girl with the golden locks: it introduced a different dimension to the visual narrative.

Though our heroine is the same, our bears certainly are not. These bears
Barry Asmaou
The retells of the traditional story with a modern twist. Goldilocks stumbles upon the three bears house. She then go goes inside and makes herself at home.While in the house she sits in the chairs, tries their chili and lays in their bed.The bears ends up coming home finding Goldilocks in their and has use everything they owned. Goldilocks get ups and runs out the house.The images shows the bears are very hip and trendy.The images shows that the bears have a sense of style and a love of design. ...more
Lara
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
I wasn't so crazy about this version of the classic tale. When I saw the book was dedicated to Joseph Eichler and Milton Miller, I figured I wouldn't be too crazy about this modern style, and I was right. I liked the illustrator's style, but the modern furniture details on the inside covers seemed odd for a children's picture book. Would they notice or even care? I'm not sure how a gun hanging from the frame of Little Bear's bed makes it modern. And lastly, even in a modern retelling Mama Bear i ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
This book has an interesting looking cover, but I quickly became disenchanted with it when I realized it wasn't really a retelling; it's just a re-illustration of the story with modern art and hipster-looking bears. I think the story is appealing to kids no matter what, but the various pieces of designer furniture depicted and labeled on the end papers of the book didn't feel very child-friendly to me. The idea is clever, but not necessarily appropriate for the audience.
Oct 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, children-s, picture
This is a very classic retelling of Goldilocks; really, only the language has been updated. The bears, however, live in a very tastefully decorated home. A close inspection of the endpapers reveals that the furniture and decorations are pieces of art. While I appreciate the modern spin on the bears' home, the story itself lacks an interesting update or spin. Skip this one for school collections, though your adult, art-loving friends may find it an interesting picture book.
Kimberly Caldwell
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 544-books
Traditional Literature - 2010 The story itself stays true to form, however the illustrations bring a new twist to this traditional tail. Steven Guarnaccia includes aspects of design within his illustrations by various famous designers. I appreciated explanations at the beginning and the end of the book about what designs were created by whom.
Gracie Guagenti
Jul 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
This tells the traditional tale of Goldilocks and the Three Bears with some modern twists. You can almost hear the saxophone playing while you read this modern tale. The bears make chili instead of porridge and the ramble instead of walk. The modern illustrations are interesting and also enhance the story line.
Dan
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a wonderful hip and up to date rendition of the Goldilocks and The Three Bears. The language was different by saying "ramble in the woods." The plot of the story was the same, but had a great new look. Loved it and so did the kids.
Donalyn
The endpapers of this book display textiles and furniture created by modern designers. The entire concept for the book hinges on the artistic design of the three bears' home, which adds nothing to this classic fairy tale that young readers would appreciate.
Joanie Franklin
Jan 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked Guarnaccia's moderne lingo. End pages a plus as well. Could use for word choice & audience with student.
Uriah
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids
Traditional tale with interesting art. The best part for me was seeing a "Finlandia" vase by Alver Aalto in the bears house.
Doris Smith
Feb 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was interested in the illustrations and the use of furniture by various designers...for example...an Eames Chair was Little Bear's Chair.
Michele