Start by marking “Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #1)

Death by a Dark Horse (Thea Campbell Mystery #1)

4.13  ·  Rating details ·  67 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Thea Campbell goes out for revenge when the one person who is simultaneously the most likely and least likely candidate for thief steals her horse. But Thea is wrong. As close to dead wrong as she ever wishes to get.
Published (first published October 29th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Death by a Dark Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by a Dark Horse

A.M.
Jan 11, 2011 rated it liked it
The cleverly titled Death By A Dark Horse has all the trappings of an engaging murder mystery: high stakes, an independent heroine, intimidating goons and a clever villain. All of this is set upon a backdrop of horse-riding and dressage, so right off the bat I can easily recommend this story to horse lovers. If you’re not much of a horse person, rest assured this novel might still have something to offer you.

As a main character, Thea is very much someone you can relate to. She’s clever — and run
Jeanie Jackson
I loved it even though I did want to shake Thea a few times but I find that to be true in many amateur detective and cozy mysteries. I do understand why she felt compelled to figure out who had murdered the spoiled brat victim, especially when her horse was in danger of being blamed and put down. This first book in the Thea Campbell Mystery series was my first, but it will not be my last.

I look forward to spending more time with the characters who have already reached my heart.
Susan Schreyer
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Amazing story -- I dream about the characters!
Ellen White
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blackie is gone, every professional wants to buy the horse. The rig they describe is Valories.. Her horse was there, at Valories place, but so was a murdered body. Good reading
Len
Jan 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a total page-turner! The story will keep you guessing from the beginning to the end! I love how Thea cares about Blackie like a friend, beyond caring for a pet. At times, she almost even forgets about herself and the fact that the police may also consider her a suspect!

Thea is a magnetic character who you'd want to stick with in a book, you'd want to be friends with her if she was a person in real life, and perhaps even help her do the detective work! I admire her braveness and can't for
Edie Ramer
I’m not a horse person, but while reading this book, I fell in love with Thea Campbell’s horse. I can see why the victim—a woman everyone loves to hate—wanted to buy Blackie. Who wouldn’t? Still, that’s not reason enough for Thea to kill her. She’s got more pressing problems, in her accounting business and in her personal life. But both she and her horse are under suspicion, and the police don’t know enough about the murdered woman’s life to know what to look for. Plus, the victim’s influential ...more
Gail Baugniet
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This mystery has enough twists, turns, and interesting characters to keep me reaching form my Kindle every free moment.

Susan Schreyer's protagonist, Thea Campbell, is a fiesty account who loves her horse Blackie more than her own life. She proves her love with courage and, at times, unadviseable actions.

Thea's thinking isn't always sound (haven't we all been there?) and her actions had me on edge a few times.

I enjoyed learning interesting tidbits about horses and their care while trying to figu
April Tanner
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I liked it

Thea is the kind of heroine I want to smack but have a fascination with anyway. This is a well written convoluted mystery that kept me guessing to the very end who dunnit. The fact that horses are involved was a nice bonus and when Thea finally quit being so timid and cowgirl'd up I like her lots more. Good story that kept my interest to the end and I will read the next ones!
Norma Huss
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, favorites
When Thea's missing horse, Blackie, is found in the pasture with a dead woman, the first thought was that crushed head was caused by Blackie. Thea knows that's not true, but how did Valerie die?

Was it murder? Who did it? And why? Soon Thea is asking all those questions, but so are the police, and they have more clout.

I found this mystery a captivating read. Recommended for horse lovers, mystery lovers, heck, let's just say for all readers and be done with it!
Allison Kohn
Mar 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very good read

I enjoyed this mystery and look forward to reading the ones following. I especially enjoyed reading about the dressage and the personality of Blacky. I also enjoyed the way the girls worked together to save themselves.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Air Time (Charlotte McNally, #3)
  • Yesterday's Body
  • One Tough Cookie (Carol Sabala Mystery #2)
  • A Hostage To Heritage (A Michael Stoddard American Revolution Thriller, # 2)
  • The Dagger Before Me (Persephone Cole Vintage Mystery, #1)
  • Ant Farm (Seamus McCree #1)
  • Mr. Monk and the New Lieutenant (Mr. Monk #19)
  • A Scrying Shame
  • The Girl Who Married an Eagle: A Mystery
  • Louisa and the Missing Heiress (A Louisa May Alcott Mystery, #1)
  • Dolled Up For Murder (Gretchen Birch, #1)
  • Mrs. Jeffries on the Trail (Mrs. Jeffries, #6)
  • Land Sharks - A Swindle in Sumatra (Land Sharks, #1)
  • The Rainaldi Quartet (Castiglione and Guastafeste, #1)
  • Pirate Vishnu (Jaya Jones Treasure Hunt Mystery, #2)
  • Buyer, Beware (Style & Error Mystery, #2)
  • Back to the Best Books
  • Rock Bottom (A.J. Palladino, #1)
Susan lives in western Washington with her husband, two children, and numerous animals of a variety of species. She divides her non-family time between teaching dressage to people and horses, and writing mysteries.

The first story Susan ever wrote was while in elementary school. It was called, The Mystery of the Golden Horseshoe. Unfortunately, she doesn’t remember anything about it except the titl
More about Susan Schreyer...

Thea Campbell Mystery (4 books)
  • Levels of Deception (Thea Campbell Mysteries, #2)
  • An Error in Judgment (Thea Campbell Mysteries #3)
  • BushWhacked (Thea Campbell Mysteries #4)