Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned

Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned (Doctor Who: New Series Adventures #8)

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  2,809 Ratings  ·  244 Reviews

When a naval cruiser sinks in mysterious circumstances in the North Sea, all aboard are lost. Rose is saddened to learn that the brother of her friend, Keisha, was among the dead. And yet he appears to them as a ghostly apparition, begging to be saved from the coming feast... the feast of the drowned.

As the dead crew haunt loved ones all over London, the Doctor and Rose

Published November 2010 (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.
Sami To be honest, maybe start with Nine. That's where I started. The Ninth Doctor is more of an introduction with his small set of stories. You don't have…moreTo be honest, maybe start with Nine. That's where I started. The Ninth Doctor is more of an introduction with his small set of stories. You don't have to start with him, but I did like his books. If you need the list of Nine's books, please don't be afraid to ask. But most if not all are in between episodes of the show itself. Hope this helps! :) (less)

Juli
A naval ship is lost at sea with a loss of all aboard. But, the dead do not rest easily. Deceased crew members are being seen all over London.....all talking about the upcoming feast of the dead. Rose Tyler's friend, Keisha, lost her brother in the wreck. His spirit appears to his sister and to Rose, asking to be saved, for help so he can escape the upcoming feast. The Doctor and Rose must investigate the wreck -- who caused the ship to sink? What is this feast? And why are the dead appearing in ...more
Rose
Mar 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-read, sci-fi, who
I downloaded this audiobook from Audible.com to listen to on a road trip I never got to take, thanks to one of the aftershocks of Snowpocalypse '10. I was absolutely crushed over the cancelled trip -- mostly, I confess, because I had so many awesome audiobooks lined up -- so I started listening to this over my trip-less days off in an effort to cheer myself up.

It rather helped.

I love David Tennant, and his portrayal of the Doctor, rather unequivocally, and so getting to listen to the Doctor act
Kimberley doruyter
don't think i'll ever swim in outdoor waters again.
Edward Lorn
Doctor Who: The Feast of the Drowned Review I miss David Tennant as the Doctor. Matt Smith was okay, and Peter Capaldi does a serviceable job, but Tennant's still the best to have tackled the role since the series was rebooted. I'm kinda hoping Doctor Who goes away for a while so that they can start fresh again with another reboot, let's say, ten years from now. The writing of the most recent season is crap, and I think Capaldi is fighting an uphill battle. Either hire new writers or take a brea ...more
Tracey
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, tv
I'm very tempted to just out and out give this five stars. It's David Tennant. As the Doctor. AND in full brogue. In other words, a little slice of heaven. He does voices quite well (though perhaps not so much Rose and Mickey, but … who cares?), does the creepy bits very creepily, and is all in all a joy to listen to. Unsurprisingly.

And it was a fun story, too, about something (*cough*aliens*cough*) snatching up the drowning and doing unspeakable things to them (and the "Feast" of the title isn'
✨Susan✨
I always like these books. Another fun paranormal, Sci-Fi mixed with the mystery of the sea. I don't watch this series but I certainly enjoy reading these shorts. Good for YA but not strictly just for YA.
Daphne
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-audio, quest
Enjoyable couple hours of fluffy Doctor Who goodness.
Kristin Davison

A Naval ship goes missing in the middle of the ocean, all onboard dead. Until they mysteriously turn up at home.

The author kind of got 10's, Rose's and Mickey's characters. This is my first Doctor Who book, so it was a little weird.
Helen
Tennant is my favourite Doctor, so I was looking forward to this one. His personality came through in places, but it was still quite generic in others. I found the plot and the conclusion just a bit too hard to swallow. This title will not make it to my top ten.
Fangs for the Fantasy
The naval ship the HMS Ascendant has mysteriously sunk in the North Sea. The Doctor isn't inclined to investigate until Rose and her friend get a ghostly visitation from one the seamen who was aboard ship. Though it makes absolutely no sense, Keisha is determined to head to the Thames and throw herself in because she believes that somehow against all odds that she will find her brother and rescue him before the feast. It would be bad enough if the Doctor, Rose and Mickey only had to deal with on ...more
Melyssa
Dec 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: whoniverse
J'ai mis un temps fou à rentrer dans l'histoire. Il m'a fallu un bon tiers de livre pour me sentir un minimum impliquée dans l'affaire. La suite se laisse lire pourtant; sans être révolutionnaire ce roman est tout à fait divertissant. Mais alors, il lui faut le temps de chauffer avant de démarrer.

Divertissant, c'est un mot qui va bien à Stephen Cole). Mais il fait ça bien, quand même: la prose n'est pas forcément très adroite, les dialogues ne creusent pas trop loin, mais on ne lui enlèvera pas
SciFi Kindle
This novel follows closely to the television formula: The Doctor and companion are drawn into a mystery set in modern day London, discover an alien invasion plot, and they (well, HE, really) foil it after a few twists and turns. I don’t consider that bit a spoiler, as any licensed material must necessarily deliver all the characters and settings back unaltered by the conclusion- series authors don’t own, they rent. I’ll agree with other reviewers in pointing out the similarities in the story’s v ...more
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1097091.html?style=mine[return][return]I've enjoyed two other New Series novels by Stephen Cole (here and here), so I'm glad to report now that I like Feast of the Drowned even more, which makes it the best Ninth or Tenth Doctor book I've read. It's not that it has the literary depth that the best of the New / Missing / Past Doctor ranges have, but it's very faithful to the spirit of Season Two (ie 2006, not 1964-5), and in particular it would fit awfully well into con ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
NOT A MUST READ

This is one of my least favorite Doctor Who books beaten out for the title of worst by “The Deviant Strain”. It was really hard to get through this one mostly because I felt disconnected from the story and the new characters that were introduced.

Right off the bat we meet Rose’s friend Keisha, a character that to be honest I wouldn’t have cared if she lived or died. Aside from the alien chaos that is occurring throughout the book the author takes time to tell us about some high sch
Nate Rawdon
Having previously read various other Doctor Who 'New Series Adventures', I had concluded long before starting this that it would be my final read in the ongoing series. The novel started fast paced, and introduced the (as always) likeable characters from the very start. Despite being compelling in the earlier chapters, the story began to feel dragged out as it progressed, and consequently the novel inevitably ended up taking longer to complete than originally expected. Regardless of this, the st ...more
John Parungao
Feb 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-dr-who
It's at times like these that I really miss David Tenant and Billie Piper. Stephen Cole manages to capture the feel of one of the televised episodes of Doctor Who, even giving us excellent versions of Mickey and Jackie. What Stephen Cole also gives us is an adventure and a mystery worth solving along with a supporting cast of characters to help the Doctor and Rose figure out the threat they are facing and help dealing with that threat. Jay and Keisha, friends with Rose and Mickey help get the re ...more
Samantha
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Obviously, I listened to this book because it was narrated by David Tennant, and, yes, it was completely worth it. I have not read any other Doctor Who books, but I do enjoy the show, especially the witty 10th Doctor with amazing hair ;-)

This story was typical of a Doctor Who episode: creepy alien invasion, somewhat campy dialog, inevitable victory. Tennant's narration was a pleasure to listen to, as he read in his native Scottish accent unless he was reading the Doctor's dialog and he suddenly
MissSusie
Jul 31, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, audio, audible-books
This was a good story but couldn’t help thinking of The Water of Mars. My favorite line in perfect Ten voice," Now that Mickey the untrained civilian has a hand grenade, oh yes, everything is going to be fine.” I could just picture The Doctor saying it and the look on Mickey’s face as he did!

I love that David Tennant reads the narrative in his Scottish accent and the Doctor bits as the voice Whovians know so well and his voicing of Mickey is fantastic!

Of course it makes me want to go back and wa
Malinda
4 stars

While I love Doctor Who, this is my first Doctor Who experience that wasn't on TV. I have to say it was a bit weird hearing the story instead of watching it, but once I got used to it I liked it. The story was interesting and typical of Doctor Who and I'm happy I read it. I'd recommend it for Doctor Who fans. :D

* note - I listened to the audio version of this book. David Tenant was the narrator and he did a great job. Since he was Doctor #10 in the TV show, his voice doing the narration w
Scarlett Sims
The Doctor Who audiobooks are fun, but I feel like a little bit of something is lost when you can't see what's going on. I also feel like since the plots can be so convoluted wibbly-wobbly, it can get a bit hard to follow if you miss a bit because a loud bus drives by or something. That said, David Tennant's narration was amazing. He narrated in his Scottish accent, and did wonderful voices for all of the characters. His Mickey was probably my favorite.

This was an enjoyable way to pass my walks
Megan
I read this book in print and really enjoyed it, but I especially want to get the audio version of it because David Tennant reads it! The story was a good one. I'm surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did, since it took place almost entirely in London and usually those aren't as enjoyable. I thought for the most part the characters of the Doctor, Rose, and Mickey were very well done, just a couple of times I thought would he/she have really said that? The monsters/aliens were scary and new, ...more
Amy
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly this gets four stars because Tennant is a fabulous narrator. I was amazed at how he managed to capture Rose and Mickey's voices. The Q&A at the end stated that Tennant used fifteen distinct voices throughout the book.

The story was good, maybe a bit more convoluted than usual. The author did say that when writing the books, he tries to use scenarios that wouldn't be possible as part of the show because of the complexity of the special effects.
Bruce
I just finished listening to the audio book read by David Tennant. He did a great job of course, but I can't say I was all that enamored with the story. Kinda boring really. People are disappearing and then we find out they're being taken over by the alien of the week... Ho hum... But, it kept me calm for a couple hours of driving, so there is that...
Alison
This is a cute little story. Enjoyed being back with Ten, Rose, and Mickey, and the supporting characters were interesting. The actual plot's a bit silly but not objectionable. And David Tennant does a great reading, with some hilarious voices, a surprisingly funny and good Mickey, and of course, a great Ten.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
Stephen Cole's novels don't usually get a lot of love from me, but with this book, he hits a home run. Tense, exciting, amusing, passionate, and perfectly capturing the early, manic 10th Doctor of David Tennant's first season. All the characterization is solid, and it hurtles to an satisfying climax. There's not much more you can as from the New Series Adventure line.
Polina ♆
I'm totally agree with Noria, so I've coped her review:

"I didn't like it as much as "The Stone Rose", I can't really say why. I still enjoyed it and it is great fun to listen to David Tennant."

That's all!
Em
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
My favorite Doctor Who outside of the television series so far. The beginning is a bit slow and confusing, but once the action starts up, it's brilliant!
If you love the Doctor, listen to it!
aPriL does feral sometimes
This isn't what you read if literary swooning is what you seek. But it IS pure fun, sweet predictability, pure adrenalin and a story that has one cheering for another Dr. Who success.
Harry Williams
Even though the Tenth Doctor isn’t really one of my favourite doctors, I decided to give this one a try. I’ve been meaning to read this one for a very long time and now that I have I found it to be rather ... average.

The characterisation for the main characters is pretty well done. The 10th Doctor is his usual bubbly know if all self. Rose feels like Rose. Mickey is in this book which is always a good thing and his characterisation is spot on.

The overall plot did interest me as I was intrigued
Douglas Prince
Doctor Who is one of the few franchises where I read the Expanded Universe (sorry... Whoniverse) material. Not sure why that should be the case, but there you have it.

Anyway, this is a good one, featuring the Tenth Doctor and Rose, with Mickey and Jackie playing a minor support role. A research ship sinks in the North Sea under mysterious circumstances and it and its contents are transported back to London. Before long, people are seeing ghosts, throwing themselves wholesale into the Thames and
THE DR RULES!! 2 14 Oct 23, 2012 10:05AM
  • Doctor Who: Pest Control
  • Doctor Who: The Krillitane Storm
  • Doctor Who: The Eyeless
See also: Steve Cole.

Stephen Cole (born 1971) is an English author of children's books and science fiction. He was also in charge of BBC Worldwide's merchandising of the BBC Television series Doctor Who between 1997 and 1999: this was a role which found him deciding on which stories should be released on video, commissioning and editing a range of fiction and non-fiction titles, producing audioboo
More about Stephen Cole

Doctor Who: New Series Adventures (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Doctor Who: The Clockwise Man
  • Doctor Who: The Resurrection Casket
  • Doctor Who: The Nightmare of Black Island
  • Doctor Who: The Art of Destruction

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Sanctuary (Nomad, #2)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Bandwidth (An Analog Novel Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sufficiently Advanced Magic (Arcane Ascension, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Bees
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Land: Founding (Chaos Seeds, #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Mists of Avalon (Avalon, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
  • Friday
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Dhalgren
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Homeworld (Odyssey One, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Recurve (The Elemental Series, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Out of the Black (Odyssey One, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Acacia: The War with the Mein (Acacia, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Eighth Grave After Dark (Charley Davidson, #8)
    $8.99 $2.99