Start by marking “The Savvy Auntie: The Ultimate Guide for Cool Aunts, Great-Aunts, Godmothers, and All Women Who Love Kids” as Want to Read:

3.09  ·  Rating details ·  133 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
“What a wonderful gift this book is for aunties of all of ages, backgrounds, shapes and varieties!”
—Elizabeth Gilbert, New York Times bestselling author of Eat, Pray, Love

“Melanie Notkin shines a much-needed spotlight on a bond that brings so much happiness to so many people.”
—Gretchen Rubin, New York Times bestselling author of The Happiness Project

Savvy Auntie is the ult
Published April 26th 2011 by William Morrow (first published March 22nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Savvy Auntie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savvy Auntie

Karen
May 11, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read_chunks_of
OH MY GOD! I had to get this when I saw it while taking my one-year-old cousin to Bop Till You Drop at the local public library. I peeled off from the stroller queue at the elevator when it caught my eye. Tweeny graphics and acronyms (What are PANKS?) meet "Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties." We all have unique challenges, but no reason you can't be sassy and well-prepared for them!! But what about Cool Older Cousins? I reject the catch-all Women Who Love Kids an ...more
HeavyReader
Dec 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of the "Savvy Auntie lifestyle brand"
I hate this book.

I had just gotten a library card and was excited to use it. I saw this book on the new book shelf, in the parenting section. I was attracted to the bright colors of the cover, and when I flipped through it, there seemed to be some good advice, like "read everywhere."

I started hating this book almost as soon as I started reading it. In the introduction, the author brags of being "a savvy senior executive at a global cosmetic company, living a very cosmopolitan life..." Gag! On th
Alicia
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is basically a breezy childcare manual for adult women who don't have kids. The childcare tips are great if, like me, you're not real clear on the finer points of rearing young children. However, the author needlessly invents lingo (e.g. "DebutAunt" for a first time aunt) that at first is cute and witty but quickly becomes annoying because it's constant. I love the idea of the book, but in actuality feel like I'm just being fed a new brand. Seriously, she is trying to establish Savvy Auntie ...more
Ann
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some of the information in this book was worth reading, but I couldn't get passed the made up words in every other sentence. Every time the author could replace a part of a word with "aunt" she did it. (i.e. ParAunt instead parent, LesbiAunt when referring to a gay aunt, Confidauntie - really?)

If you aren't a character from Sex in the City I don't know if you would relate to this book. I know I didn't. Also, there is an entire section about how unhappy families with children are, immediately fol
Amy Palmer
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aunts, anybody who loves kids
Shelves: to-buy
"Savvy Auntie" by Melanie Notkin is more than a book-it's a movement. I first came across Ms. Notkin on Twitter under the handle @savvyauntie. I started following her right away, as I consider myself a savvy auntie. I loved the way she celebrated my unique situation as a PANK (professional aunt, no kids). I finally felt like there was a cool group that I belonged to and in that group it wasn't weird that I was married, in my mid 30s, and didn't have kids.

In "Savvy Auntie" Ms. Notkin defines the
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship} by: sister
"You can be an ultra fashionable, single, successful Sex and the City auntie, just like me!"

Just as the vacuum cleaner became ubiquitously known as the Hoover, being an aunt has been (unsuccessfully) rebranded as The Savvy Auntie, or The PANK (Professional Aunt, No Kids).

So many ridiculous and superfluous made up acronyms and names for everything surrounding aunties. Why not call a spade, a spade? Why the advice about how aunties can get pregnant? And I really don't need to waste time and mone
Lindsey
Jul 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book is supposed to be an upbeat and fun guide for the special, non-mother/grandmother women in a child's life, but it just comes off as offensive to those without children. While it makes clear that these relatioships are special and should be cherished, it treats those of us who are child free as if we are completely clueless in regards to children just because we do not have our own.
Melanie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was such a fun, informative, uplifting and practical book! I am an aunt for the first time and want to be the best aunt I can be. This book helped me see that being an aunt is an important, vital, and fun part of my life and the life of my niece. I like that it talked about ways to be a part of your niece/nephews life even if you live far away like I do.
Anne
Aug 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in the book. It was focused more on babies and having friends/relatives having babies and how to help the new parents. I can't have kids and don't have anyone in my life with babies or who will have babies. The book wasn't helpful and far too basic for what it was.
Sara Gettel
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked this up because my life has been pretty devoid of childcare and I'd like to have a clue. It's potentially a good reference and covers a range of ages. It feels kind of self-indulgent at times, though perhaps becoming an aunt really is life-changing for some women?
Katie
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: life
I'm disappointed to say that I didn't really enjoy this book. I was so excited when I learn that it existed, as I've been an aunt for 19 years. I was really hoping it would give me some new, "hip" ideas for spending time with kids of all ages. Sadly, it's geared strongly toward first-time aunties and focuses almost entirely on how to take care of babies. It's not poorly written; it's just not what it appears to be.

Although I'm still considerably young, I found the language (and overkill of acron
Charmin
Highlights:
1. In fact, small children better understand higher-pitched, singsong voices. It’s their cue that we’re talking to them, and it heightens their attention to what we’re saying and the words we’re using.
2. In fact, studies indicate that children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are more likely to do better in green settings than industrial ones. Nature enables them to be more focused.
3. the American Academy of Pediatrics recommended no video, TV, or any screen-presen
Bridgette
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed Savvy Auntie. At the beginning it seemed like it only catered to wealthy businesswomen but pretty soon it sort of evened out and felt more inclusive of all aunties. This book had a lot of what I learned hands on as I lived with my sister's family for more than 3 years after my nephew came into the world and turned our home upside-down in a very happy way. I think I would have benefited from this book a lot if it had been written before I became a first time Savvy Auntie but it s ...more
Joanne
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
A thoughtful gift and reference for an aunt in your child’s life. Geared toward 20-30s age with chapters on pregnancy, baby care, shower and birthday party planning.

Sometimes a little over the top with gifts and spoiling, but everyone’s situation is different. Lots of acronyms – ABR (auntie by relation) vs. ABC (auntie by choice you know those friends of yours that have adorable kids) or the PANK (professional aunt no kids that has lots of disposable income to spoil with). The funniest – the De
Ashley
Apr 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, ebook
My very first NYPL check out...gotta love eBook lending!

I really like the sentiment behind this book/movement (that aunts--both by relation and by choice--are important members of the village that raises our society's children even if they do not have children of their own; we can support the parents as well as provide for our nieces and nephews in ways that parents sometimes cannot), but the book itself is pretty twee and full of advice that anyone who's ever babysat or spent time with children
Karen
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
EVERY woman who has nieces/nephews has to get this book. I'm telling all my girlfriends to run out and buy it. Written by a PANK, for all of us PANKs (that's Professional Auntie, No Kids) it will finally make it clear to all that not having your own kids is a true blessing to those around you in the village. Expounding on the "it takes a village to raise a child" concept, and coining funny language (I will henceforth refer to all of my fellow PANKS as my AUNTourage) this book is a quick guide to ...more
Amy Denim
Sep 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Aunts
Recommended to Amy by: Sheri McCaskill
Melanie Notkin puts into words feelings I've been having about being a PANK (Professional Auntie No Kids) that I've been feeling for years. And I thank her for it. I didn't find the bits on babyshowers and the like very useful, just because my Nephlets are all six and older now, but I sure could have used the info years ago. I hope she comes out with a Saavy Auntie II, for Aunties of older Nephlets - especially dealing with teenagers.
Great Read, highly recommended. And now I will visit her websi
Shalante Jordan
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
This book was a very good read. I love how it gave you tips on how to be an Awesome "tante". Although I only skimmed through I found some topics to be helpful such as what gifts to get my neice as she grows, what books are suitable for her age range, as well as how not to cross the boundaries as a auntie . I would definitely give out this book as a gift for baby shower to the aunt to be, or a friend.
Bethany
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Perhaps would have been even better to read before I became an aunt, but definitely a well-thought out guide to life-as-an-aunt. As part of the Auntarage, I appreciated the celebration inherent in the idea of aunties, might be required reading for everyone who asks when I'm going to have kids of my own.
Louise
Jan 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
The advice isn't particularly new, but it is told in a fun way that appeals to young childfree women -- with a good mix of seriousness about serious topics (abuse) and humor about silly ones (poop). The website's not too bad either. Overall I'm glad I had a chance to read it.
Kathleen
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Would make a good gift. Ignore the recommended brand pages, it's just advertising.
Georgie
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: babies
Cute!
Alison
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is a CUTE book full of good ideas. I'm going to try to send more fun Auntie stuff to my 2 nephews in Maryland.
Sep 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
I really didn't like it. I posted a not positive review on Amazon and it was the only one, which shocked me. You all have made me feel less lonely about that.
Josie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Very sweet
Keri
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Parts of this book were interesting, parts were cheesy, but all in all I'm all for celebrating aunties of all kinds.
Rogerssj23
  • How Not to F*** Them Up
  • The Asperkid's Launch Pad: Home Design to Empower Everyday Superheroes
  • Choke on Your Lies
  • Caring for Infants with Respect
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • Show Me a Story: 40 Craft Projects and Activities to Spark Children's Storytelling
  • A Still Quiet Place: A Mindfulness Program for Teaching Children and Adolescents to Ease Stress and Difficult Emotions
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • A Thousand Days of Wonder: A Scientist's Chronicle of His Daughter's Developing Mind
  • Crazybusy: Overstretched, Overbooked, and about to Snap! Strategies for Coping in a World Gone Add
  • Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children
  • What You Want Is in the Limo: On the Road with Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, and the Who in 1973, the Year the Sixties Died and the Modern Rock Star Was Born
  • Forever Today: A True Story of Lost Memory and Never-Ending Love
  • The Artist's Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children
  • The Artful Parent: Simple Ways to Fill Your Family's Life with Art and Creativity--Includes over 60 Art Projects for Children Ages 1 to 8
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
Melanie Notkin is an entrepreneur, author, speaker, spokesperson, marketer, and the leading voice of the nearly 50 percent of American women who are childless. Notkin is the founder and creator of the popular Savvy Auntie® lifestyle brand—a celebration of modern, cosmopolitan aunthood. Notkin’s book on the subject, Savvy Auntie: The Ultimate Guide for Cool Aunts, Great-Aunts, Godmothers, and All W ...more
More about Melanie Notkin...