Start by marking “The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Highlander's Bride (The McTiernays, #1)

The Highlander's Bride

(The McTiernays #1)

BOUND BY DUTY
Highland laird Conor McTiernay had always dreamed of an enduring love. But the reality of women who desired him only for his title and lands made him swear off marriage forever. That is until he first set eyes on the Englishwoman his men found hiding in the forest. Beneath the dirt and grime it was clear Laurel Cordell was beautiful. But would she prove to be
Mass Market Paperback, 318 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Zebra

To ask other readers questions about The Highlander's Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Highlander's Bride

Katrina Passick Lumsden
Why, why did I read this??

That's not a rhetorical question, I'm pleading with one of you to give me some idea why I bothered with this trite, badly written nonsense. Right now the only explanation I can offer is that I didn't read the negative reviews before purchasing. As for continuing to read it after realizing it was going to be bad, well...I paid for it, I was damn well going to finish it.

I go into every romance anticipating, nay, expecting some cheese and purple prose, but stumbling onto
MelissaB
This was a rough first book by this author. She set up interesting characters but the story and plot were not developed well at all. The leads constant arguing became tedious as well. She must have improved over time because her recent book Christmas Knight was good.

I am not recommending this one, the writing was just not good.
Becca
Jan 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I'm stopping this and marking it as a DNF at 20%. I've read several books by Michele Sinclair and really enjoyed them, but this first book was rough. Really rough. I was cringing as we are introduced to two perfect characters who fall instantly in love, have stupid arguments, and can only think about getting naked together. The writing is repetitive, cheesy, and inconsistent. Plus, you jump between character heads from paragraph to paragraph. I'll keep going with the series since book 2 was so g ...more
Ursula
2.5 stars.
This story was fine but went on too long. There was so much detailed description and repetition of it all it kind of slowed the narrative. Sweet characters and I love a tough, Scottish laird as much as the next, but it just didn't grab me. It lacked dramatic/sexual/romantic tension. It did not need a ton of artificial angst, but it needed something! Sure, the heroes were heroic, the villains villainous, and there was some solid historical background, but a bit to much to and fro betwee
Anne-Marie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
crap, this is crap

For some unknown reason, I felt like giving this book a chance. It had farely good reviews and the bad ones were written in languages that I did not understand. So, I picked it up, read the first page and suddenly had the urge to barf all over the buxom maiden clinging to the Laird. The story has potential, but the writing is just plain awful.

After 30 pages or so, I was about to give up. Every single sentences bothered me. Even so, I continued reading, thinking it might improve with time, or thi
Büşra Bal
1- Kaçırılıp,kendisini tutsak eden adamdan kaçan güzel kız.
2- aşka tövbe etmiş klan lideri
3- Birbirlerini görünce hissettikleri yakıcı arzu,bilmem uçucu şehvet.
4- Adamın evlenmeye yanaşmaması,kızın evlenmeden olmaz uzak duralım halleri.
5- Gene de seni koruyacağım saplantılı esas adam.

Önümde resmen birkaç kitabın kolajı var yani. Ayrıca ne o öyle daha 50 sayfa olmadan aşk ilan etmeler, çüş. Hiç sevmedim. Yazık parama.
Maggie
Mar 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I love Highlanders and I especially loved this story. How cute & sweet! : )
This was a really disappointing read!! Seeing this book had a rating of 3.97 I assumed that it would be good. I couldn't have been more wrong! Talk about being misled!!!! To be honest, I really struggled reading it. The only reason I finished it was because I paid for it and don't like not finishing a book.

This book is about a Conor McTiernay, laird of the McTiernay clan, and Laurel Cordell. While on his way back to his castle with his brothers and some of his warriors, he comes across Laurel, d
Emily
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Welcome to today's instalment of Emily Explores Sexy Scottish Literature. Previously, I read my first non-Maya Banks historical highland novel and was pleasantly surprised by it so I decided to jump straight into another one and see if the trend held up (spoiler: it didn't). This rating is actually more of a 2.5 stars but I always feel mean rounding down so here we are.

I have to admit, there isn't much language wise for me to complain about here. I know, usually I spend a whole fucking paragraph
Zoe
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok
Reread it and I don't know what I was thinking giving it 4 stars. Will have to re-write my review at some point.

I read some 1 star reviews and thought man i would hate this book. but it just goes to show that we all relate to stories differently and a 5 star average review doesn't mean it will be a good read every time. (mental note: always dare to try)
back to the book, I really loved the characters. while it is a little odd that the unyielding "warrior" would pop the "my love" hearings so earl
BookLover
Mar 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get into this story. Didn't really connect with the characters and the story didn't draw me in.
Debby "Piene Raven"
Jun 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: authors-s-t
(Audiobook Review)

This is the first book in the series and I don't have very much to say in that I enjoyed it very much. I have read other books by Michele Sinclair and am a bit of a fan.

The heroine was a sassy strong-willed person although I didn't care much for the testosterone and dictatorship that was being spued by the hero at every turn with trying to have her as a kept woman in charge of the castle. I think she proved that she could hold her own and taught him a few lessons or two in spi
K
Feb 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
i recommend this book for anyone who is into Scottish romances. the characters personalities makes them feel real and the events that occur are pretty realistic. i had a few good laughs and a few moments where i "awwwed". this book kept me entertained and i read in less than a day

*SPOILER ALERT*
i really liked this book because the relationship that Conor and laurel have isn't all lovey dovey its pretty realistic they get into a lot of arguments to make it seem like a real couple, its still a rom
MsRomanticReads

This story was adorable and just what I needed. Conor McTiernay, laird of a powerful clan has vowed never to marry. Well you know what people say about never saying never. Enter Laurel, a bonnie English lass. She appears badly beaten and disheveled in the midst of Conor and his brothers on their travel home from their brother Colin's wedding. She begs them for help to allow her to go with them. Connor is instantly attracted to her and vows his protection and then some *cough*.

Conor was boorish,
Stacey is Sassy
Nov 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it!!!

I love my hearts and flowers and this historical romance did not disappoint. A strong Laird with a stubborn closed off heart meets a smart and willful Lady who know what she wants.

Michelle Sinclair produced one of my favourite types of heroine. Very capable and self-reliant, Laurel was fierce when voicing her opinions, challenging when fighting an injustice and conniving when wanting her own way. Conor, being the eldest brother and Laird has kept his heart to himself. He thinks
Kat Desi
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
I almost forgot that I read this book. I couldn't recall when. I thought the story was just ok, nothing really special. The heroine was a bit blah and so was the Hero. Won't probably read the rest of the series as I wasn't too keen on this author's style of writing.
Ange
Jul 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not the best highland book I've read :( Thought I would read this before I get suck into another fantasy/romance series. Should have got stuck into Karen Moning series instead!!
Melinda
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
The Highlander’s Bride
By Michele Sinclair
The McTiernays Book #1

This book started out great with the McTiernay brothers traveling through the Lowlands after attending their other brother’s wedding. They are traveling to the Highlands to their home when they find Laurel Cordell, an English woman, who had been beaten and had escaped from the clutches of one of the McTiernay’s enemies, Keith Douglas. Keith had stolen her and tried to force her to marry him but she killed him…she thinks…and escaped.
Historical Romance Lurver
Jun 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone who likes humour and positivity
Shelves: ebook-collection
First time reader of Michele Sinclair, instantly got me hooked in. I enjoyed the wit and good humour in her writing.

Enjoyable story and characters. I really enjoyed the positiveness of the novel, it didn't have the usual enemies/kidnaps or discord.
And that the hero/heroine didn't dance around their feelings for one another.
Everyone was supportive of both the hero and heroine which was just so refreshing.
A clashing of strong personalities, possessiveness and protectiveness forged a passionate lo
Songül
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
İskoç Lordu Connor ile Laurel arasındaki aşkın çok güzel yansıtıldığı bir kitap diyebilirim.Bazı yerlerde JG çakması gibi yorumlara sebep olan kitabı , ben JG romanlarına benzetemedim..:))) bu bana göre başta yaftalamakla eş değer..okuması zevkli,sürükleyici ve akıcı bir kitaptı..kim yerlerinde Laurel in inatçılığı ve öfkesi çok güzeldi :) kesinlikle takipçisi olacağım bir yazar ..eğer okumamışsanız tavsiye ederim..Şimdiden keyifli okumalar..
Amanda S.
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved it! Conor is so sweet towards Laurel it made me ache.

I enjoyed this book, even though it's a bit uncomfortable to read a book that described its heroine perfectly. I mean, in the book Laurel's so beautiful and sweet and made people 'instantly' love her. There's no such thing as insta-love that's why it's a bit ridiculous.

But overall I loved it and can't wait to purchased the sequel! ;)
Barbara Barth
It's been a long time since I've read a barn-burning romance... so I was excited to pick up what appeared to be a highly rated scorcher.

I thought the storyline was thin. A good chunk of the first chapter tells the reader why Conor will never marry...Conor McTierney lays eyes on Laurel and immediately knew she was "the one"...and it went nowhere from there. Tempers flared, they kissed and made up and the story consisted of repeating the sequence with little substance in between.

Susan
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I started reading this book because of where it takes place. However, after a couple of chapters I got bored. It became too mushy, fight and make up over and over. I was wishing more action from laurel relatives and description of Scotland.
Lovetoread
I really enjoyed Michele Sinclair's romance The Highlander's Bride. Our hero, Conor McTiernay, is a Scottish chieftain to a very powerful group of various clans in the Highlands. He is also know as a confirmed bachelor. Our heroine, Laurel Cordell, even though brought up in England has family ties to Scotland on her mother's side. While her mother was alive Laurel was able to visit her grandfathers home in Scotland and developed a bond with him. After her mother died in child birth, Laurel's fat ...more
Chanel
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book! I loved the heroine, Laurel. She was strong willed and smart. She was no damsel in distress.
Dianne
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

The Highlander's Bride (Zebra Debut) by Sinclair, Michele
This is the second novel by this author that I have read and while it didn’t capture me as much as “The Christmas Knight” did, it still stands out as a good example of a historical romance. One that has its very steamy interactions, has many humorous moments and has a lot of fiery Scottish fighting and making up!

This is another of the authors’ relationship/character driven plots and there is a bit of action towards the very end.

C
Noreen Kellner
Nov 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a hard one to rate. I really enjoyed the strong hero and heroine. I loved their chemistry and determination to each be their own person while learning to give and take. The characters were well developed and I found myself attached to quite a few of them. My biggest problem was the storyline itself...it got away from the author at a couple of points and drove me crazy trying to figure out why some facts just didn't exist or mesh with the storyline. I really enjoyed this book and would h ...more
HÜLYA
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Iskoçyalı'nın Gelini - Michele Sinclair
Bastan sona kadar büyük bir zevk ile okudum. Cok güzel ve tanıdık bir hikaye idi. Yazar Michele Sinclair Julie Garwood'un cok etkisinde kalmis. Gelin,Dügün karısımı bir hikaye idi. Sevdigim bir hikayede olsa diger Koridor yazarları gibi olmadıgı kesin. Hikaye çarpıcı Lauren Cordell yarı Ingiliz yarı Iskoç kanından bir asil leydidir. Kendisi anne ve babasını kaybettikten sonra Iskocyaya dönüp Klan beyi olan büyükbabasının yanına gitmeye karar verir. Ona cey
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
JUST OK!!

The Highlander's Bride, was OK for a first bk in the McTiernay Brothers series. Conor is the gruff handsome Laird McTiernay who while returning home from his brothers wedding meets up with Laurel,when Laurel stumbles into their camp. Laurel has been beaten very badly and has escaped her capture. She ask Conor for his help and he and his brothers an warriors instantly pledges to protect Laurel and take her back to his castle.
Hear in lies the problem with the story or lack of back story a
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Seducing a Scottish Bride (MacKenzie, #6)
  • Highland Warrior (Campbell Trilogy, #1)
  • To Conquer a Highlander (Highlander, #1)
  • Highland Dragon
  • A Highlander Never Surrenders (MacGregors, #2)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers, #1)
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie Clan #1)
  • The Sinner (The Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • My Fierce Highlander (Highland Adventure, #1)
In need of a creative outlet, I began writing novels after my second child was born. A voracious reader of romance books and a constant dreamer of romantic plots, I was encouraged to put my ideas to paper. I soon found out I loved it...all of it!

I am a member of the Romance Writers of America and of the Georgia Romance Writers.

In addition to writing historical romance novels, I also build large HO

The McTiernays (8 books)
  • To Wed a Highlander (The McTiernays, #2)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Tempting the Highlander (The McTiernays, #4)
  • Seducing the Highlander (The McTiernays, #5)
  • Never Kiss a Highlander (The McTiernays, #6)
  • The Most Eligible Highlander in Scotland (The McTiernays, #7)
  • How to Marry a Highlander (The McTiernays, #8)