Start by marking “Russell and the Lost Treasure” as Want to Read:
Russell and the Lost Treasure

Russell and the Lost Treasure

(Russell the Sheep)

Russell the sheep is determined to find the Lost Treasure of Frogsbottom. Equipped with his Super-Duper Treasure Seeker, Russell searches high and low, up and down, and in and out.

Nothing!

Finally, Russell finds an old chest! Could it be?

Discover how Russell finds the most valuable treasure of all.
Published April 25th 2006 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Russell and the Lost Treasure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russell and the Lost Treasure

Abigail
Dec 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Russell the Sheep / Readers Looking for Fun Picture-Book Adventures
Shelves: picture-books
Russell, the ovine hero whose struggle with insomnia was chronicled in the eponymous Russell the Sheep , returns for another adventure in this engaging picture-book, setting out to find the Lost Treasure of Frogsbottom. Tinkering in his workshop, Russell comes up with his Super-Duper Treasure Seeker gizmo, and embarks on his quest, only to discover that the 'treasure' is nothing but a trunk of junk! Or is it...?

With the same appealing artwork as the first - I was happy to see that Russell's cap
Dorothea
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, humorous
I loved this book. First of all, the illustrations are hilarious. Secondly, I loved the story line and the "treasure" that Russell discovers at the end. The illustrations are so full of fun personality and little things to look for and discover. This book made me smile.
Annette
May 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The illustrations are adorable, quirky and fun, as if that wasn't enough, the message of the story is a good reminder for adults, and a great lesson for children. Russell goes on a treasure hunt and finds a box of junk but inside is a camera that he has fun with. He takes pics of his family and friends. Then shares them with everyone in a giant photobook. What better treasure than photographs of friends and family that can be shared for all of time?
Ryan
Jan 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I just love Russell. I know, I’ve said it before, but I do! This time he is on the hunt for the long lost treasure of Frogsbottom. When his treasure finding machines beeps, Russell finds less, and more than he was seeking. I love the heart that Russell has. His ability to find the good in any situation.
Suzanne V
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My son enjoys tracing Russell's cap as we read through the story. It keeps him engaged, and he stays focused on the story's progression. Rob Scotton's art work is adorable, and I enjoy point out Splat Easter Eggs as we read.
Anthony
Russell finds a treasure map, and invents a super-duper treasure seeker to find the Lost Treasure of Frogsbottom. All he finds is a chest full of old useless junk, but he decides to have some fun with it, and soon discovers he has the best treasure of all.
Charly Carbray
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great for prepositions and adjectives! Love the pictures too. Some are full page spreads while others are small vignettes.
Kim
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Adorable - I love Russell books! This one ends super sweetly.
Viviane Elbee
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cute book about Russell the sheep, who is determined to find the lost treasure of Frogsbottom. Kids enjoyed it.
Holly
Feb 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are beautiful and really draw the reader into the story. The story itself is a little lacking. It's cute, but unfulfilling.
Mickayla
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grade range: K-2
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Such a fun read! This book would be perfect to read to younger children! There is a wonderful moral to the story about loving your family, and there is a fun adventure along the way! I loved this book and was very entertained by this the first time I read it. It's sure to be a hit.
Heidi-Marie
This one was great! I chose to read it because I'm always on the look-out for sheep things (because of Mom). The story was funny. Few, simple, large-type words--great for beginning readers or for holding young children's attention. Wonderful illustrations to keep the reader entertained. And a great moral at the end, too. I'd love to see more of the Russell books, and wouldn't mind owning them for my own children.

8/6/13 I had a Pirate/Treasure theme for my last Spelunkers (ages4-7). I only planne
Britteny Gilge
This book was about Russel’s journey to find a treasure using the map he had. My favorite part of this book is when the sheep is climbing through a tunnel and the words follow his path so in order to read it the reader must turn the book allow us to follow the sheep on his adventure and engage. This book has a great use of vocabulary and could definitely be used in the classroom for a number of lessons. The illustrations in this book are very well done, they are comical and engaging. When Russel ...more
Brandy Locchetta
This book is so rich in vocabulary that it could be used for several different activities across every learning center in the classroom. Personally, I would print some of the vocabulary words and place them in a word ring, or on a word wall to apply later in different situations that may come up. This would also be great for discussing positional words like over, under, beside, etc. Lastly, I would use this to create a "treasure hunt" in my classroom. The children could create their own treasure ...more
Dolly
Aug 13, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2009, childrens
A fun picture book with a good message, this is a nice book to read aloud with children. The illustrations are adorable and fuzzy. We enjoyed reading this book together.

It's apparently a fairly forgettable book for me, however, since I picked this one up again on 20 Jan 2012 to read with our girls and did not remember that I had read it before at all (until I went to review it here.) It's been a few years and I am getting older, so I suppose I'll just blame it on my failing memory... Just anothe
Ashley Fischer
This book has great illustrations. The illustrations have texture and give the reader the idea of bark on trees, the softness of the sheep, and things like that. I also like how the illustrations really set the mood of the story and help the reader feel the mood of the characters. The illustrator also uses borders where they seem very appropriate. For example, when a picture is taken in the story the illustrator uses a border like one that would be on a picture—giving the reader the idea that th ...more
Chanelle
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book for children, because of its science elements. Russellbis given a treasure map and decides to create a device that helps him find the lost treasure. He gets to the treasure and sees that it wasn't what he expected. after using what is in the treasure chest he realizes that things in the chest can be used to create treasurable moments. I think this book is great for students to use their imagination. The illustrations are awesome. A fun activity would be to have students thin ...more
Joy
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Another fantastic Russell the Sheep book. I really love the illustrations for these books. Russell finds buried treasure but finds that real treasure is in his friends and family. It sounds a little sappy, but it's funny and sweet. The sheep are so full of personality you can't help but smile and laugh.
Heather
Sep 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this one to my son last night and it was pretty okay. I think this would be a great book to teach kids about postional words because it shows Russell the sheep "in" and "out" and other such words. The only thing though I did not like about it was that it was very simple so there really is not a good book for a discussion.
Candice
Oct 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie - when she is older
Shelves: picture-books
As Russell the sheep is perfecting his triple somersault, he sees a passing crow with a treasure map in its mouth. Russell decides to go on a treasure hunt, so he goes to his workshop and creates a super-duper treasure seeker. Armed with his new invention, he goes off to seek the Treasure of Frogsbbottom. The illustrations in this book are fantastic - highly amusing.
L.
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
The best thing about Scotton's books are they always illustrate how what you want and what you get can both be wonderful. Russell does not find the treasure he wants, but learned how to make what he finds into treasure. The illustrations are fabulous, especially his hat.
Liz B
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Russell goes searching for treasure and when he finds a treasure chest, he is disappointed when it has a camera inside. What kind of treasure is a camera? He decides to use the camera around the farm and ends up with the best treasure.
Angela Nelson
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ed-310
This was a great book. It had beautiful illustrations and great vocabulary. It teaches a lesson about family being the greatest treasure not gold and jewels. There are so many different lessons you can teach with this book.
Kathy
Dec 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Russell and the Lost Treasure is a fun story about Russell the sheep who comes across a treasure map; only to be disappointed by not finding treasure but rather an old camera. Russell decides to have some fun taking pictures of family and friends; which is the greatest treasure of all.
Hannah
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Russell's facial expressions are hilarious (as is his nightcap)!

Had a different ending than I was expecting, but one that I liked infinitely more than if Russell had found actual treasure. Though I'm not usually a fan of cartoony images, I am hoping to seek out some of Scottson's other work.
Emily Heideman
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a really cute story. It is likely not well-suited for really little ones, but pre-k+ should be able to sit though the story and understand the moral. As always, the illustrations are cute and comical. <3 Rob Scotton & Russell!
Nancy Jo Lambert
Jan 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, read-alouds
So, this is probably my favorite Russell book, because I love that he finds the camera and finds the beauty and special things about his family! I think most people can relate to that. Plus, my kids just love Russell!
Mary
Aug 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm adding Rob Scotton to my list of "favorite children's book authors."
Megan Yaek
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love all the Russell books- they're a family favorite.
Great illustrations, great messages for all.
Judy
Mar 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I love the Russell books. I love the Russell character and his sidekick, the frog. The illustrations make me laugh. In this particular story, the illustrations are better than the story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Maybe a Bear Ate It!
  • Tony Baloney
  • Whose Baby Am I?
  • Ivan the Terrier
Rob Scotton is the bestselling author and illustrator of "Russell the Sheep," and "Russell and the Lost Treasure." His latest book, "Splat the Cat" is the story of a young cat facing all the wonders and worries of his first day at cat school. Rob's work can also be found on greeting cards, ceramics, textiles, prints, stationery, and glassware. An honors graduate of Leicester Polytechnic, Rob now l ...more

Russell the Sheep (4 books)
  • Russell the Sheep